Home for the Holidays! ~ a magical December 2022 trip report. New PTR link 03/26

suse66

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true!
Welcome friends to my latest TR!

I'm Susan....proud Mum to three awesome young men, life long Early Years educator, DVC owner at Boulder Ridge Villas and lover of ALL things Disney! Travelling with me was my lovely DH of 23 years, Bill. It was his 2nd Disney trip this year which is unheard of! Typically he likes to visit every 2-3 years. He really wanted to experience Disney at Christmas though, so made an exception.

This trip had originally been planned for December 2020. We all know what happened to those plans! Then we rescheduled to December 2021 but Omicron had other plans for us. So we rescheduled for December 2022, thinking surely the third time would be the charm.

And it was! Originally we had booked a deluxe studio at our home resort of Boulder Ridge but three weeks before our trip, we were moved to Copper Creek. BRV was undergoing a much needed renovation so I was happy with the move, even secretly fantasizing about an upgrade to a Cascade Cabin! Spoiler alert, that did not happen.

Of course this report begins the way all trip reports do, with travel. Both Bill and I had to work the full day. I finished school at 3:00 and raced home, feeling very grateful for my 15 minute commute! We left the house about 10 to 4 with an hour long drive to Toronto Pearson in front of us. I was worried about rush hour traffic and opted to take the toll highway. We had no issues at all and were soon pulling into our reserved spot in the value park garage. We made our way to the terminal expecting to find a crowded and hectic situation. Imagine our delight when we walked in to an almost empty terminal and sailed through security AND customs in 15 minutes!!

We debated buying some goodies at Duty Free but ended up just heading to our gate. Happily there was a bar/restaurant right beside our gate and we soon settled in with the first bevvie of the trip!
IMG_2130 (1).jpeg
Smiling from ear to ear with my Belgian Moon and repping Disney Vacation Club of course!

Also very happy to be carrying this new beauty for my trip!
IMG_2127.jpeg

IMG_2129 (1).jpeg
Bill went for a Caesar which he really enjoyed.

IMG_2132.jpeg
We both went for burgers, mine a black bean burger with extra pickles and onion rings and Bill's a regular burger and fries. Happily the flight was on time and fairly uneventful. The only issue was that the air jets were not working well, making it very warm and stuffy onboard. Landing in Orlando, I took a picture that we will all recognize.
IMG_2133 (1).jpeg
Its the first sign of being home!

We had opted to stay at the Hyatt Regency that evening due to our late arrival time. I loved the beautiful tree and all the Christmas decor in the airport.
IMG_2135 (1).jpeg
After going down endless hallways, we finally found our room. It was clean and comfortable and we were soon fast asleep.
IMG_2136 (1).jpeg
The next morning would bring us home to our beloved Wilderness Lodge and I could not wait!

For all of you celebrating, I wish a very Merry Christmas to you and your families.

I’m joining in! I think I am first!
Excited to hear all about it and again I had an awesome time hanging out with you and Bill! Thanks again!
Merry Christmas 🎄🎁

Welcome friends to my latest TR!
:wave:
even secretly fantasizing about an upgrade to a Cascade Cabin! Spoiler alert, that did not happen.
:laughing: Well, shoot!
Imagine our delight when we walked in to an almost empty terminal and sailed through security AND customs in 15 minutes!!
:eek: This... this... this is possible????... In YYZ??????
Smiling from ear to ear with my Belgian Moon
You do look pretty happy. :)
Also very happy to be carrying this new beauty for my trip!
IMG_2127.jpeg
Cute. :)
mine a black bean burger with extra pickles
Extra pickles?

This is a must on any burger, IMHO.
Its the first sign of being home!
:goodvibes
For all of you celebrating, I wish a very Merry Christmas to you and your families.
Same to you!

I’m joining in! I think I am first!
Excited to hear all about it and again I had an awesome time hanging out with you and Bill! Thanks again!
Merry Christmas 🎄🎁
Yay Caroline! Your are first, my friend! I am so happy we had the chance to hang out together. You are such a sweet, kind and positive person. I look forward to park touring together again.
Following :surfweb:
:welcome: Thank you for joining in!
Looking forward to following your holiday adventures.
:welcome:Glad to have you here!
:eek: This... this... this is possible????... In YYZ??????
Right??? We were so shocked!
This is a must on any burger, IMHO.
Here is a Susan fun fact. I never ate pickles at all until I was 55. I was convinced I hated them. Then Jack and I were at Baseline on his 21st trip and ordered the charcuterie. I decided to try the gherkins. Well I loved them and have now branched out to other pickles and love them all!
Following
:welcome:, thanks for joining in!
I’m here Susan. :)
Yay Liesa! So glad you are here!
Following along. Looking forward to reading more!
:welcome:Glad to have you here!

It's Disney Day!!!

Waking up at the Hyatt, we made coffee in the room and munched on breakfast bars while we gathered up our things. We quickly showered and changed, I was excited to wear my 50th anniversary dress from Ambrie. We grabbed a Lyft rideshare and soon we were arriving at our beloved Lodge!
IMG_2139.jpeg
Can you believe this tree? So beautiful!

Of course I had to have a picture beside it!
IMG_2140.jpeg
Next up we went over to Boulder Ridge to see our home resort. I loved the tree and all the gorgeous decor through the lobby and the Carolwood room.
IMG_2141.jpeg

IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

We decided to hang out in the comfy chairs and just take it all in. Friends, this is one of my favourite places ever. It just feels like home!
IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

We were heading for Disney Springs to check out the Christmas Tree Trail and to have lunch at Jock Lindsay's holiday bar. The bus gods were on our side and we waited only 10 minutes for a DS bus.

Can you believe I received our room ready text while on the bus? Our room was ready at 10:45 am! This is unheard of in the DVC world!

Arriving at Disney Springs I was happy to see the main tree as we entered the Springs. I was just so happy to be there!

IMG_2147.jpeg

Our first tree on the trail was the Coco tree!
IMG_2148.jpeg

*continued in next post*

Our next tree was the Guardians tree!
IMG_2151.jpeg
My favourite part of it was the mix tape ornament!

I adored the Moana tree and had to have a picture with the beautiful flowers.
IMG_2152.jpeg
We made our way through the shops, stopping at Columbia and DisneyStyle.

We also loved the Raya tree!

IMG_2153.jpeg

Arriving at Jock Lindsay's we weren't sure if we would find a table or not. Luckily there was a high top table for two near the bar just being cleared and we hovered by it so that we could grab it as soon as it was clear. I was very interested in their holiday menu and decided to go for their Yule Mule (Bombay Sapphire Gin, Ginger Beer, Cranberry Juice, Rosemary Simple Syrup, Holly Sugar Leaf) to start.
IMG_2157.jpeg
My verdict? Top 3 of all Disney drinks!
IMG_2163.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg
Bill decided to do a dessert type drink going for the boozy hot chocolate flight (Spiced Caramel with Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, Cookies and Cream White Chocolate with Vanilla Stoli and the Peppermint with Baileys and Creme de Menthe).

His favourite was the Spiced Caramel while I loved the Peppermint.

We shared the queso wihich was spectacular. I mean who can go wrong with carbs and cheese?
IMG_2158.jpeg

Bill went for the holiday flatbread (Black Forest Ham, French Brie, Watercress, Granny Smith Apple, Pomegranate Seed, Lemon Vinaigrette) while I chose the turkey croquettes (Turkey croquettes, sweet potato puree, bacon-cranberry jam, turkey gravy, sugared rosemary sprig.)
IMG_2167.jpeg
I really enjoyed these. Jock Lindays was a win for is! And of course we loved the festive decor too!
IMG_2166.jpeg

Leaving Jocks we headed to World of Disney. There was a lot of cute stuff but nothing I absolutely had to have. I did love the Encanto tree out front though!IMG_2154.jpeg.
I wanted to check out Pin Traders as well as the Coop next There was a pop up shop for Dapper Day at TrenD and I fell in love with a gorgeous blue and white gingham dress with a citrus border. Bill very nicely bought it for me as a Christmas gift. I also bought the super cute Lily Pulitzer blue Mickey dress which had caught my eye.

The sun had come out in full force so we decided to head back to the Lodge. It was time to check out our room and enjoy a little pool time!

Right??? We were so shocked!
I might have fainted right there!
Here is a Susan fun fact. I never ate pickles at all until I was 55. I was convinced I hated them. Then Jack and I were at Baseline on his 21st trip and ordered the charcuterie. I decided to try the gherkins. Well I loved them and have now branched out to other pickles and love them all!
:laughing: How fun is that, to find that out only recently!
IMG_2139.jpeg

Can you believe this tree? So beautiful!
Whoa... :worship:
We decided to hang out in the comfy chairs and just take it all in. Friends, this is one of my favourite places ever. It just feels like home!
You guys sure look comfy/cozy.
The bus gods were on our side and we waited only 10 minutes for a DS bus.
Not bad at all. :)
Can you believe I received our room ready text while on the bus? Our room was ready at 10:45 am! This is unheard of in the DVC world!
I don't think I've ever heard of a room being ready that early!
My favourite part of it was the mix tape ornament!
:thumbsup2 Love that.
Luckily there was a high top table for two near the bar just being cleared and we hovered by it so that we could grab it as soon as it was clear.
Ah yes... the Disney hover.
My verdict? Top 3 of all Disney drinks!
High praise!
Bill decided to do a dessert type drink going for the boozy hot chocolate flight (Spiced Caramel with Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, Cookies and Cream White Chocolate with Vanilla Stoli and the Peppermint with Baileys and Creme de Menthe).
mmmm....
Not a fan of rum, but I'd definitely try them anyway.
We shared the queso wihich was spectacular. I mean who can go wrong with carbs and cheese?
No one!
Bill went for the holiday flatbread (Black Forest Ham, French Brie, Watercress, Granny Smith Apple, Pomegranate Seed, Lemon Vinaigrette) while I chose the turkey croquettes (Turkey croquettes, sweet potato puree, bacon-cranberry jam, turkey gravy, sugared rosemary sprig.)
Those both sound really good!
There was a pop up shop for Dapper Day at TrenD and I fell in love with a gorgeous blue and white gingham dress with a citrus border. Bill very nicely bought it for me as a Christmas gift. I also bought the super cute Lily Pulitzer blue Mickey dress which had caught my eye.
I hope you'll be modeling those later, or showing them to us. :)

I might have fainted right there!
It was quite surreal. The last time I was at Pearson in Seotember, I waited 45 minutes in the line for a domestic flight!
:laughing: How fun is that, to find that out only recently!
YEs and now I am obsessed with pickles! Go figure!
You guys sure look comfy/cozy.
The Carolwood room is the best. You can play chess or checkers there and it is the perfect spot to curl up with a coffee in the morning. I anticipate many quiet mornings there on my trip with the boys this summer as they are NOT early risers!
Ah yes... the Disney hover.
It's the only way!
Not a fan of rum, but I'd definitely try them anyway.
You really couldn't taste the rum at all. It was more a spicy caramel flavour.
I hope you'll be modeling those later, or showing them to us. :)
I will post pics soon!
Following along. Love your 50th dress :)
:welcome: thanks for joining in! I love that 50th dress and am SO sad about Ambrie going our of business. I have so many fabulous park inspired dresses from them.

It was quite surreal. The last time I was at Pearson in Seotember, I waited 45 minutes in the line for a domestic flight!
I don't think I've ever waited 45 minutes... it's always been longer.
YEs and now I am obsessed with pickles! Go figure!
:laughing: You could do worse than a pickle obsession.
The Carolwood room is the best. You can play chess or checkers there and it is the perfect spot to curl up with a coffee in the morning. I anticipate many quiet mornings there on my trip with the boys this summer as they are NOT early risers!
:goodvibes
You really couldn't taste the rum at all. It was more a spicy caramel flavour.
I kinda thought that might be the case. :)

I forgot to visit WL / BRV/ CC .
At first, I thought your room was a Cabin but the photos of the CarrolWood … I must get over there before holidays end !
( Happy New Year )

I love the 50th dress. I have one that is similar from Ambrie, did you see they went out of business?
I really wanted to try some of the Holiday treats at Jocks but just snapped a few pictures on my last day.
Isn’t the first day wonderful! So much ahead of you and knowing you are at Disney, yay!
We really did have beautiful weather the week we were there! I sure miss it!
Excited to see your DVC room!

I forgot to visit WL / BRV/ CC .
At first, I thought your room was a Cabin but the photos of the CarrolWood … I must get over there before holidays end !
( Happy New Year )
I wish our room was a cabin! Maybe one day I will have enough DVC points to stay in one. Yes, the Carolwood room is a very special place. Happy New Year to you too and thanks for joining in!
I love the 50th dress. I have one that is similar from Ambrie, did you see they went out of business?
Thanks Caroline. I have about 10 different prints in the Ambrie dresses and find them so soft and comfy. I was really sad they went out of business.
Isn’t the first day wonderful! So much ahead of you and knowing you are at Disney, yay!
Nothing better!
Excited to see your DVC room!
Can you believe I forgot to take pictures of the room? Bad trip reporting!

Is there anything better than pool time in December?

It was warm and sunny as we arrived back at the Lodge. While Bill opted for a nap, I decided to head to the pool! Imagine my delight when I spied an available cabana! I set up shop with my book, my lemonade and pool towels. Bliss!
IMG_2169.jpeg

I loved my view from the lounger and couldn't resist texting my sisters pictures. After all, it was snowy and cold at home!
IMG_2170.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg
I hopped in the pool for a while, making friends with a lovely group of women. We chatted away, sorting out all the goings on in the world. Bill arrived fresh from his nap and we decided to hit up the hot tub. We met more lovely people there and had great chats yet again. Is it just me or are Disney people the best people?

I had very unexpectedly lucked into Category 1 seating for Hoop Dee Doo Revue when I checked MDE two days previously so we were off to eat ALL the food and enjoy the best show ever. Just look at that view as we were waiting for the launch. I love it so much!
IMG_2172.jpeg

I decided to wear my Dole Whip dress this evening. My Disney dresses just make me happy!
IMG_4128.jpeg
The energy was fabulous lining up for the show. Everyone was chatting away and excited for a fun night!

We had a lovely table with a centre stage view. The table was set with appies as we arrived...the fantastic salad that I ate my body weight in, the luscious cornbread and super creamy coleslaw.
IMG_2174.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg
The food here is simple but delicious! Our waiter was awesome and was quick to bring water and ask us for our drink orders. We both went for the red sangria and he soon realzied it was easiest to bring refills over by the carafe!

The entire place was thoroughly decorated for Christmas and the show had a Christmas overlay as well.
IMG_2177.jpeg

IMG_2178.jpeg
My first plate had some of everything; fried chicken, mac'n'cheese, mashed potatoes, smoky baked beans and ribs. It so good! Of course I had seconds. :)

They brought the washboards out before dessert and Bill was a great sport and played along!
IMG_2187.jpeg

*continued in next post*

Last edited:
The end of the show was such fun with awesome Christmas carols.
IMG_2191.jpeg
Then they served the strawberry shortcake. Friends, I tried to do justice to this, I really did. But I just didn't have it in me to have more than a few bites. It was really yummy though.
IMG_2186.jpeg

We had a fabulous time at the show and decided to go for a walk around the campground after. The Christmas decor was out of this world!
IMG_2196.jpeg
Of course the golf carts were fantastic as well. We saw one who had Swen on the roof! I called out and said "you win....best cart of the night!" She then said "come over, I have something for you" and handed me a tissue wrapped parcel.

I tucked it in my bag to open later and we continued our tour.
IMG_2195.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg

Then we had the ultimate pixie dust of the evening when we were offered a ride on the back of a golf cart to see more of the decor. It was so, so fun and magical beyond words!
IMG_2207.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2498.jpeg

After a little confusion we managed to catch a Wilderness Lodge bus back to the resort and decided to hit up Geyser Point for an end of the night cocktail!

IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg
It was a perfect evening and we really had the best time. You couldn't have asked for a better first day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter