Have you gotten sick on (or after) a ride?

I am embarrassed to say I got incredibly queasy this last time after riding the Safari Ride at AK. I think looking out the side with all the bumps just made the perfect combo. I rode all the roller coaster, TOT totally fine.

I don't get "motion sick", but I've found I can have problems with motion "simulators". Teacups? Fine. Star Tours? Eh, I'll feel a little queasy. Those dang VR things at Disneyquest? Ick! I grew up on boats so motion is something I get, I think it's just that my mind can't be fooled into linking fake motion with a movie screen. I'm seriously worried about how I'll take Flight of Passage.
I rode FOP four times when we were there in June. I managed to get on all three levels. The top two did not bother me one bit. But that bottom level felt like it had more motion than I could handle. I'm thinking next time I draw the bottom level straw I break out the Ginger Chews!

My entire family of 8 got sick back in the day on Body Wars in Epcot. For those that don't remember it, it was similar to Star Tours but the motion and the movie were slightly off so it made everyone sick.
More recently I got sick on Space Mountain. It was a very strange feeling and lasted for days. Almost like my brain rattled around too much.
I remember Body Wars. I got so sick on that ride and the people in front of me had to stop and admire things. They heard me say something about throwing up and they practically tripped over themselves to get out of my way. But way back I was told Body Wars used three or four types of motion, while Star Tours at the time only used two. I never get sick on Star Tours but I do try to avoid the last row. It is way too bumpy!

They were screaming like they were bein murdered. I can't accurately explain how crazy they were. Would not have bothered me if I wasn't trying not to vomit. And it was warm in the ride. No one else was screaming like that- not a fun experience.

The warm in the ride factor can make just about any ride not fun/sickening.

I have difficulty with simulation-type rides (with the exception of M:S, for some reason). Star Tours always does it to me, but I do better on it if I do it on a full stomach. Empty stomach...ugh....

I got super duper queezy on Space Mountain and Primeval Whirl (now dubbed Primeval Hurl) on separate trips. Didn't heave but could've if I allowed myself to. I was done for the rest of the day. In my youth I could've handled them (I'm mid-40's now), but not anymore. I get weird on BTMRR and take a Dramamine now since it's my kids favorite ride. I let them do SM by themselves as that's a hard line for me now! I'm now like Phil Dumphy on Modern Family when he went to Disneyland - great episode!

When I was a child, my parents and a CM had to pry each and every one of my finger segments away from the handholds in Space Mtn in the unloading area. And I vaguely remember lying on a bench while my mother fed me fruit salad. I really don't remember actually throwing up, but I had really bad motion sickness as a child so I would NOT be surprised if I had barfed all over.

This returning trip? Uh so I tried to avoid all the rollercoasters except Barnstormer and BTMRR. Which were as awful as I remembered them. And the Tea Cups almost made me throw up until I focused on our DD inside the cup, and tried not to look beyond that point. After re-riding Splash Mtn enough, it stopped bothering me, but of course those adorable singing animals are a GREAT distraction.

My DH has absolutely NO sense of vertigo. He went on Space Mtn and found it boring!!! But then again this is a man who grew up with his daddy owning an airplane and regularly practicing fighter pilot moves. So I would be truly terrified for anyone who got on a ride that my DH considers, "wild and thrilling". LOL

I am embarrassed to say I got incredibly queasy this last time after riding the Safari Ride at AK. I think looking out the side with all the bumps just made the perfect combo.

Where did you sit? If it was near the rear, I can understand. My experience with KS is that how you feel (in my case, how my back feels) is very different based on which row you sit in. I always tell the CMs I need to sit in one of the first 3 rows, and they've been very willing to accommodate me. No problems now, but before hand, if I sat in the back, it was terrible.

I am apparently a weirdo because I absolutely love the sensation you get on Mission: Space when doing the orange/more intense side.

Also thought I would throw this out there since many guests found it helpful when I was a CM there during my college program days, just in case anyone here wants to try it someday and hasn't already heard this - DO NOT look around the capsule. Stare directly at the screen in front of you and do not take your eyes off of it. Often when people got sick on that ride, it was because they turned their head to check on their child during that part of the ride. Resist that urge!

Coasters and drop rides - I'm fine.

Motion sims and flights with banking (like when you get stuck in a holding pattern) are dicey. I've thrown up after Star Tours (both), Mission Space, the old Body Wars as a kid, Simpsons, etc. as well as dozens of flights. Its not an every time or even every trip and there is no pattern to it. I take dramamine. I can make it to a trash can/air sickness bag. I feel better afterwards.

Oh Man!
I kind of wish I didn't read this entire thread. I had vertigo as a child and any turbulence on planes make me queezy.
Here i was thinking I was going to ride a lot of these on our January trip.

I lost it on Soarin' Over California at DLR's California Adventure. I assume Epcot's Soarin' is the same concept.

To be fair, it was a mad scramble during the electrical parade. I squeezed in California Screamin', Maliboomer and Soarin' Over California in 20 minutes.

Here's my disclaimer: I get motion sick on almost everything, including in swimming pools and on the parking lot tram. I take one Bonine every day when we go to WDW. I also don't enjoy rides with big falls. My "never have done, never will do" list included ToT, RnRC, Space Mountain, Mission Space, Star Tours, Primeval Whirl, Everest, Teacups, AstroOrbiter. I have done Splash Mountain about 6 times but choose not to do it anymore. Barnstormer made me sicker than any other ride I've ever been on- I did it once and will NEVER do it again!

Here are my experiences on the things I DO ride (remember that I take Bonine each day):
BTMRR- this is my favorite ride in all of WDW! I can ride it once, but find I feel queasy by the end if we ride twice in a row. I am OK riding it several times if there are several hours between rides.
Dumbo and Aladdin's Carpets- Not too bad, sometimes it makes me a little queasy but it goes away quickly.
Jungle Cruise- mixed bag. I think it's the smell that bothers me more than the motion.
Soarin' and Philharmagic- sometimes I close my eyes during the "swishy" parts, especially when Aladdin and Jasmine are soaring through the streets.
7DMT- I thought I was going to be ok, until we stopped outside the cottage at the end of the ride. The motion sickness overwhelmed me and it was all I could do to hold it together until I got off the ride. I sat for about 30 minutes, sipping soda (not diet!), until I felt well enough to get up and walk around.
TestTrak- sometimes the fast, outdoor part makes me queasy, but it passes quickly.

No problem with the Safari or Kali River Rapids! No experience with FEA or anything in Pandora as they are all new and I haven't ridden them yet!

The only and only time I rode Mission Space (they only had the one version) I was really feeling it BAD. I rested for awhile and decided to head back to the room to ride it out. To this day I don't know how I didn't have a protein spill on the bus ride. A couple times I have felt motion sickness after riding Everest that lasted 30-40 minutes.

Didn't read through the entire thread but the only time I've ever been sick after a ride was on Mission Space Orange. Didn't puke but had to return to the room and felt nauseous for almost 2 full days. AND it was a few years before I could ride roller coasters without felling sick, and I'd never had that problem before riding Mission Space. So yeah, I'll never ride that again.

I felt really scared on Mission Space: Orange. I literately cried on this and felt sick whilst on it (I didn't end up being sick though). That sort of put me off motion simulators. I struggled with Star Tours after this and also Harry Potter F.J at Universal. I'm really worried about trying Flight of Passage In September as I really want to experience but I'm scared I'll get ill :worried: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter