Gringotts Reviews starting to come in

this member of the press was able to fit snugly. This should give us an idea of who can fit...

https://twitter.com/BanksLee

Now that is interesting. It's my understanding that the test cars outside of forbidden journey aren't really accurate so maybe these aren't either because from what I understood from the podcast Sha-un gave up after he didn't pass the test car outside.

Now that is interesting. It's my understanding that the test cars outside of forbidden journey aren't really accurate so maybe these aren't either because from what I understood from the podcast Sha-un gave up after he didn't pass the test car outside.

My husband tried test seat outside fj...they said he didn't fit. I made him walk with me to ride and he was able to fit in modified seat...soooooo...

I think what some are having issues with is the bar that comes down on your legs. I do think though that it might feel very tight on most people and it might just be designed that way. It felt very tight on me and I'm 110 pounds and 5'5". I am sure though that it might make the ride uncomfortable or make it so some do not fit. Again, I think it's just how it is. You can not make a one size fits all thrill ride really.

Maybe they will tweak it or even find they can remove or change the leg part of the restraint system eventually but I don't think it's going to be that huge of an issue. I saw quite a few bigger people riding just fine, again it will depend on how your body is shaped. My friend is a big dude and he was good to go but a smaller guy with maybe different shaped legs might not be. It's the reason they have test seats.

I was lucky enough to be invited by a friend to attend the media event with them. Yes Gringotts has a lap bar and that does include restraint against your thighs and shins. Could that restrict some sized people from not riding? Maybe yes. But I'd say it won't be something that will be as restrictive as FJ was when it first opened.

Honestly, the ride has to be safe and it is impossible to make a ride that will perfectly fit every body size, especially a thrill ride. The way Gringotts spins and jolts suddenly, I think the lap bar/leg bar system is the right way to go for this ride. Gringotts contains many spins and sudden jolts and with the open sides it is best to keep a secure hold on all extremities inside the ride vehicle. The restraints are not put into these thing for giggles but for a very necessary reason. Yes they could put in a ride that every body shape can ride and they did, the Hogwarts Express, but just like Gringotts comes with a height restriction for safety reasons, it also comes with a restraint system for safety reasons.

I know people like to think "it's not fair" that the ride doesn't fit all adults but logically speaking that is just not safely possible since there are so many different shapes and sizes unless you are talking a non-thrill ride.

You make totally good points. The only thing that kind of gives me pause is that you could have said the exact same thing about Forbidden Journey when it opened.

However, we all eventually learned that modified cars were possible which opened the ride up to many more people.

It may be possible that modified cars are an option for this ride too. If they are - I feel that Universal shouldn't have done this twice. Certainly they know better by now.

However, if modified cars are not an option for this ride - it is what it is. Like I said earlier, I know I can go on it. I just really hope the other person in my party can too.

I really wish Universal would just release the measurement restrictions on these rides. I'd get out the measuring tape for some peace of mind. People are spending a LOT of money with the hopes of experiencing these attractions, it's fair to be up front with them.

I am just freaking out because it came as a total shock to me that this ride would be restrictive. Everything I'd heard was it was going to be the same as Mummy (which both of us have ridden loads of times at USH).

The ride isn't even open yet, so I probably just need to simmah down and see what happens in the 5 months before I get there.

:)

You make totally good points. The only thing that kind of gives me pause is that you could have said the exact same thing about Forbidden Journey when it opened.

However, we all eventually learned that modified cars were possible which opened the ride up to many more people.

It may be possible that modified cars are an option for this ride too. If they are - I feel that Universal shouldn't have done this twice. Certainly they know better by now.

However, if modified cars are not an option for this ride - it is what it is. Like I said earlier, I know I can go on it. I just really hope the other person in my party can too.

I really wish Universal would just release the measurement restrictions on these rides. I'd get out the measuring tape for some peace of mind. People are spending a LOT of money with the hopes of experiencing these attractions, it's fair to be up front with them.

I am just freaking out because it came as a total shock to me that this ride would be restrictive. Everything I'd heard was it was going to be the same as Mummy (which both of us have ridden loads of times at USH).

The ride isn't even open yet, so I probably just need to simmah down and see what happens in the 5 months before I get there.

:)

The measuring tape won't work. Different builds seem to fit into the ride differently. We've found that out with Forbidden Journey.

The latest Dis Unplugged Universal edition Podcast. Host Shaun was not able to ride due to what was described as a "lap" bar that holds your thighs and shins.

Yes Gringotts has a lap bar and that does include restraint against your thighs and shins. Could that restrict some sized people from not riding? Maybe yes. But I'd say it won't be something that will be as restrictive as FJ was when it first opened.

I think what some are having issues with is the bar that comes down on your legs.

All of this is making me very sad. Could someone give a more intricate description of this leg restraint?

Does it hold them individually, do you have to keep your knees together (problem for me, as I like to brace my feet on whippy rides and that means they aren't right together...keeps my spine decent rather than being flopped all over the place!), etc?

Might be restrictive in a different way, but the restriction on my husband's ability to ride this ends up being EXACTLY the same as FJ. It's such a bummer.

I've got to imagine it's getting old for the actor who plays Hagrid, as there's no chance he can ride the things DH can't ride... (also for Warwick Davis, though for different reasons, but of course his reason isn't something someone would tell him it's his fault for...)

So from the descriptions on here these restraints sound somewhat similar to the "T-bar" type that Intamin AG has used on a lot of their extreme coasters/water rides over the past decade (i.e. Millenium Force at Cedar Point). Can anyone that has seen these restraints can compare them to those?

I say similar because the Intamin restraints came down on your lap, and were tight on the shins. They were, um, ineffective at holding in certain body types - not necessarily larger people, but more "rounder", or "bowling-ball" shaped folks that had a higher center of gravity. Employees are often put in the awkward position of having to turn those patrons away, even if they can fit into the restraints.

I doubt that will be an issue here, as those rides have significant negative G-forces that this coaster will not even approach. It is true, however, that no attraction that aspires to any level of thrills can safely accommodate everyone. Universal has certainly chosen the path of more aggressive rides than their cross-town rival, knowing full well that comes with the potential of alienating some potential customers ...

All of this is making me very sad. Could someone give a more intricate description of this leg restraint?

Does it hold them individually, do you have to keep your knees together (problem for me, as I like to brace my feet on whippy rides and that means they aren't right together...keeps my spine decent rather than being flopped all over the place!), etc?

Might be restrictive in a different way, but the restriction on my husband's ability to ride this ends up being EXACTLY the same as FJ. It's such a bummer.

I've got to imagine it's getting old for the actor who plays Hagrid, as there's no chance he can ride the things DH can't ride... (also for Warwick Davis, though for different reasons, but of course his reason isn't something someone would tell him it's his fault for...)

From what I can tell, it sounds something like this...

sup-restraints.jpg

ok ive been on forbidden journey and it makes me too nauseous and dizzy, was wondering if anyone has rode the gringotts ride and got sick on it or is it better?

What I've heard is that Gringotts is less intense than FJ, and certainly doesn't rock your body every which way like the older ride. My guess is that the new ride won't have the same effect on you.

I was lucky enough to be invited by a friend to attend the media event with them. Yes Gringotts has a lap bar and that does include restraint against your thighs and shins. Could that restrict some sized people from not riding? Maybe yes. But I'd say it won't be something that will be as restrictive as FJ was when it first opened.

Honestly, the ride has to be safe and it is impossible to make a ride that will perfectly fit every body size, especially a thrill ride. The way Gringotts spins and jolts suddenly, I think the lap bar/leg bar system is the right way to go for this ride. Gringotts contains many spins and sudden jolts and with the open sides it is best to keep a secure hold on all extremities inside the ride vehicle. The restraints are not put into these thing for giggles but for a very necessary reason. Yes they could put in a ride that every body shape can ride and they did, the Hogwarts Express, but just like Gringotts comes with a height restriction for safety reasons, it also comes with a restraint system for safety reasons.

I know people like to think "it's not fair" that the ride doesn't fit all adults but logically speaking that is just not safely possible since there are so many different shapes and sizes unless you are talking a non-thrill ride.

What did you think of the ride?

From what I can tell, it sounds something like this...

sup-restraints.jpg

Thanks damo.

That is the strangest thing. Never seen such a thing.

There are two rides at Disney DH was never able to do. Maliboomer and Mulholland Madness (now Goofy's Sky Skool). The latter was because of a restraint that's an upside down U, just like for the Mummy. He ends up with a war between legs needed to squeeze together inside the U and his belly. He loses because that combo doesn't work.

This one sounds like it's the U all over again, with an extra bit!

ETA: although, there's no U there. Guess I'll have to wait until someone here experiences it, memorizes it, and comes back with a crystal clear description. If there's going to be disappointment on DH's part (and mine and DS's, of course) I would rather it happen at home rather than at the park...he dealt with that enough at DCA, and all over at Universal the first time we went...

So sad for him. Dumb old pituitary tumor combined with traveling half the year and having to guess as to the WW points of restaurant food. Eh, you've heard me be sad about this before...nothing new here... Was SO hoping that what I was hoping I saw in the early pictures of the ride were what I was seeing...but I guess not.

I haven't been on Gringotts but I have to say the leg restraint on seven dwarfs mine train was killer. I'm not thin by any stretch of the imagination but after barely getting in that ride it makes me wonder how any plus size person has a prayer getting their legs to fit. Now reading this about Gringotts makes me wonder about my legs!!! Must be time for a pre-HP starvation diet!!!!!! :(

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Attractions Magazine has this youtube video up showcasing the ride vehicle. Not sure it helps, but I thought someone with a keen eye might be able to see the restraint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCJ9Ygykms

The people in that video are pleasantly smiling and barely swaying even when the car is doing a full 360 :rotfl:

I couldn't get a terribly good sense of the restraint system. Thanks for posting though. It's cool to see.

Is it the same restraint as The Mummy??

It's not clear, but looks very similar. I was always under the impression it had that same type of lap bar........not sure why I thought that though :confused3

Is it the same restraint as The Mummy??

It's not clear, but looks very similar. I was always under the impression it had that same type of lap bar........not sure why I thought that though :confused3

I thought the same.It looks very similar in the still photos of the ride vehicles .

I thought the same.It looks very similar in the still photos of the ride vehicles .

Yes. I've read that they are similar to Mummy's but more restrictive.

Mummy is manufactured by Premier and Gringotts seems to be manufactured by Intamin.

OK they are wearing hats on the ride....hmm.

The main still picture I've seen of the vehicle show what look to be like the Mummy, but when I nearly get out my magnifying glass I was only seeing ONE bar from it, not the two of Mummy. It's not the across-the-lap bar that's the issue in my family, but the two bars going down, that you have to put your legs in between. The combo kills DH's chances.

So I've been holding out hope that my bar counting (seriously, I've been trying to do that...even called in DS's eagle eyes with the pictures) was accurate. :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter