For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from our latest drive to and from The World. From our little town in Ontario it was 3,027 miles (4,870 km) return. Not being masochists, we took it easy, doing each leg in 3 days. Here are a few of our observations:

Day 1: Ontario to Hagerstown via I 81: The only interesting occurance was at the border. The US Border guard looked at us like we were nuts to either be going to WDW at our age, or to be driving there, or both. We just laughed as he dubiously wished us a nice trip. Lots of rain, fog ,construction and heavy traffic around Wilkes-Barre and south, so were forced to keep to the speed limit.

Gas prices casually observed: Upstate NY: $3.55
Pennsylvania: $3.55

Day 2: Hagerstown to Orangeburg SC: Blasting beside the interstate caused a complete closure, with a detour at exit 132 around to exit 128. Traffic was backed up (for us) for 4 miles as 3 lanes merged into one. Lost a fair amount of time before we were on our way again. Traffic remained heavy with considerable truck traffic until we turned onto the I 77.

Gas prices: W. Va: $3.39
Va: $3.35
Rock Hill, SC: $3.15!!

Day 3: Orangeburg to Orlando: A truly ugly day. Intermittant periods of torrential rain with lightning and thunder all day. It felt like we were driving through a car wash. Fortunately everyone on the 95 either slowed way down (I think we averaged 45 mph during the rainy periods) or just pulled off the road. I've never been so scared in my life. Just as we reached the northern outskirts of Orlando (just a bit south of the St. John bridge) there was the inevitable accident in the left hand lane (not us!). At rush hour. On Friday. The worst possible combination. It took us 2 hours from this point to reach the WDW exit to our resort.

Gas Prices: Brunswick Ga: $3.29
Daytona Fl: $3.45

The ride home was a breeze by comparison.
Orlando to Florence SC: Didn't leave WDW til 11:00 and were at our hotel by 5:00pm. Traffic was light to moderate.

Gas Prices: WDW Hess: $3.28
Fl (I 95): $3.35
Ga: $3.22
SC: $3.23
Florence: $3.17!!

Day 2: Florence to McLean Va: Traffic was great until we hit the junction of the 292 and the 95 at the north end of the city. Then BAM: backed up and slow all the way to just south of Fredricksburg. But this was 6:30 pm on a Sunday night. (PS: managed to resist stopping at South of the Border, but DH just had to stop at JRs)

Gas Prices: NC: $3.32
Va $3.45

Day 3: McLean Va to home: a long 11 hour drive, but had perfect weather and light to moderate traffic all day. We took the beltway north, then cut over to the 81 for the remainder of the way to the border. Considerable truck traffic all the way, but not too many elephant races (this is how my daughter describes a group of big rigs trying to pass a couple of slower rigs). The only difficulty was driving for about 30 miles or so due west just as the sun was setting. Painful!!

All in all we enjoyed our trip, and will undoubtedly do it again in a year or so. SO much cheaper than flying. Especially since all our hotels were paid for using points that DH had accumulated this year. I really want to thank all the DISers on the 2,000+ thread for all of the great bits of info that they so generously pass along. Hope I can return the favour some day.

We just got back from our latest drive to and from The World. From our little town in Ontario it was 3,027 miles (4,870 km) return....

A great report! Thanks for sharing.

Now then, what is the length of a one way drive from home to WDW (I assume it's not 1/2 of 3,027 miles since you may have driven in WDW)?

Your answer will no doubt be a record-setter for this thread's record stats.

Thanks.

All the best. :thumbsup2

We just got back from our latest drive to and from The World. From our little town in Ontario it was 3,027 miles (4,870 km) return. Not being masochists, we took it easy, doing each leg in 3 days. Here are a few of our observations:

Day 1: Ontario to Hagerstown via I 81: The only interesting occurance was at the border. The US Border guard looked at us like we were nuts to either be going to WDW at our age, or to be driving there, or both. We just laughed as he dubiously wished us a nice trip. Lots of rain, fog ,construction and heavy traffic around Wilkes-Barre and south, so were forced to keep to the speed limit.

Gas prices casually observed: Upstate NY: $3.55
Pennsylvania: $3.55

Day 2: Hagerstown to Orangeburg SC: Blasting beside the interstate caused a complete closure, with a detour at exit 132 around to exit 128. Traffic was backed up (for us) for 4 miles as 3 lanes merged into one. Lost a fair amount of time before we were on our way again. Traffic remained heavy with considerable truck traffic until we turned onto the I 77.

Gas prices: W. Va: $3.39
Va: $3.35
Rock Hill, SC: $3.15!!

Day 3: Orangeburg to Orlando: A truly ugly day. Intermittant periods of torrential rain with lightning and thunder all day. It felt like we were driving through a car wash. Fortunately everyone on the 95 either slowed way down (I think we averaged 45 mph during the rainy periods) or just pulled off the road. I've never been so scared in my life. Just as we reached the northern outskirts of Orlando (just a bit south of the St. John bridge) there was the inevitable accident in the left hand lane (not us!). At rush hour. On Friday. The worst possible combination. It took us 2 hours from this point to reach the WDW exit to our resort.

Gas Prices: Brunswick Ga: $3.29
Daytona Fl: $3.45

The ride home was a breeze by comparison.
Orlando to Florence SC: Didn't leave WDW til 11:00 and were at our hotel by 5:00pm. Traffic was light to moderate.

Gas Prices: WDW Hess: $3.28
Fl (I 95): $3.35
Ga: $3.22
SC: $3.23
Florence: $3.17!!

Day 2: Florence to McLean Va: Traffic was great until we hit the junction of the 292 and the 95 at the north end of the city. Then BAM: backed up and slow all the way to just south of Fredricksburg. But this was 6:30 pm on a Sunday night. (PS: managed to resist stopping at South of the Border, but DH just had to stop at JRs)

Gas Prices: NC: $3.32
Va $3.45

Day 3: McLean Va to home: a long 11 hour drive, but had perfect weather and light to moderate traffic all day. We took the beltway north, then cut over to the 81 for the remainder of the way to the border. Considerable truck traffic all the way, but not too many elephant races (this is how my daughter describes a group of big rigs trying to pass a couple of slower rigs). The only difficulty was driving for about 30 miles or so due west just as the sun was setting. Painful!!

All in all we enjoyed our trip, and will undoubtedly do it again in a year or so. SO much cheaper than flying. Especially since all our hotels were paid for using points that DH had accumulated this year. I really want to thank all the DISers on the 2,000+ thread for all of the great bits of info that they so generously pass along. Hope I can return the favour some day.

glad you had a good trip!!!:thumbsup2

Now then, what is the length of a one way drive from home to WDW (I assume it's not 1/2 of 3,027 miles since you may have driven in WDW)?

According to our odometer the trip down was 1,485.4 miles. We estimate it took a little over 24 hours driving time. We didn't do any driving at WDW (DH said that enough was enough). I think the extra mileage may have come from getting lost in Washington DC on the way home (DH lost his mind and thought he knew better than the GPS, but that's a whole other story;))

Actually, I think the record may belong to another Canadian. This gentleman from Winnipeg, Manitoba made the drive earlier in the year. I would love to have heard how his trip went!

All-Time "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" Records (updated 10/7/11)

Most Total Drives: 51 (since '73): dvczerfs

Most Drives in One Decade/10-Year Period: 23 (2002-2011): bc1836

Most Drives in One Calendar Year: 4 (three times: 2008, 2009, 2010): bc1836; (one time: 2009): cruisingkat

Most Drives in One 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09): cruising kat;
(12/09-12/10): bc1836

Most "Non-Stop" Drives: 8: bc1836

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009): cruisingkat

Most passengers in one vehicle: 10 (2010: 2 adults, 8 kids; 1999 Chevy Express Van): birdslightyear (aka just*the*ten*of*us)

Longest Drive (one way): 1,485 miles: minnie mum

All-Time "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" Records (updated 10/7/11)

Most Total Drives: 51 (since '73): dvczerfs

Most Drives in One Decade/10-Year Period: 23 (2002-2011): bc1836

Most Drives in One Calendar Year: 4 (three times: 2008, 2009, 2010): bc1836; (one time: 2009): cruisingkat

Most Drives in One 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09): cruising kat;
(12/09-12/10): bc1836

Most "Non-Stop" Drives: 8: bc1836

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009): cruisingkat

Most passengers in one vehicle: 10 (2010: 2 adults, 8 kids; 1999 Chevy Express Van): birdslightyear (aka just*the*ten*of*us)

Longest Drive (one way): 1,485 miles: minnie mum

anyone drive 1090 miles in 16 hours straight through with only gas and bathroom breaks??? just one driver, no nappin! :lmao:

anyone drive 1090 miles in 16 hours straight through with only gas and bathroom breaks??? just one driver, no nappin! :lmao:

Howdy!

I have done all the driving on our 23 round trips to date; however, I did take a nap on several of my eight "non-stop" drives.

BTW: The dvczerfs record of 51 2,000+mile round-trip drives is the equivalent of Cy Young's 511 MLB pitching wins, a record that will probably never be broken. And dvczerfs isn't finished! :worship:

We head out tomorrow! Later then we originally planned though!
Planned to leave by 8a.m. However 12 y.o. ds's baseball tournament has been bumped out twice(due to the rain and soaked fields) to this weekend. He is a key player on the team so we'll let him play the 1st game at 9a.m. and then head out by noon. Looks like we won't hit Richburg SC til almost 11p.m. :( Plus it looks like Sunday on 95 in Florida is going to be an absolute nightmare due to heavy rains and winds. I wish there was some other route we could take that is further inland!

We head out tomorrow! Later then we originally planned though!
Planned to leave by 8a.m. However 12 y.o. ds's baseball tournament has been bumped out twice(due to the rain and soaked fields) to this weekend. He is a key player on the team so we'll let him play the 1st game at 9a.m. and then head out by noon. Looks like we won't hit Richburg SC til almost 11p.m. :( Plus it looks like Sunday on 95 in Florida is going to be an absolute nightmare due to heavy rains and winds. I wish there was some other route we could take that is further inland!

:thumbsup2 we will be heading north tomorrow as you are heading south. we will be leaving okw at 3am and hopefully hitting nazareth between 7 and 8 pm.:thumbsup2

we had a great 12 days down here!!!! the weather was great and so were the parks and food!!! :thumbsup2 we are heading over to mk for dinner than do some last min. shopping than heading back to our villa for an early night. we have two trips planned for next year, one in may with our daughter for 8 nights and one in september with just the two of us again for 11 nights! had a great time!!!! sww ya in may!!!:thumbsup2

How about 15 hours straight through with only gas and bathroom breaks with one driver/no naps? I didn't quite make it all the way which is 1222.8 miles but almost there. :thumbsup2

How about 15 hours straight through with only gas and bathroom breaks with one driver/no naps? I didn't quite make it all the way which is 1222.8 miles but almost there. :thumbsup2

I've done 23 2,000+mile round trip drives (of about 17-18 hours) since 2002. Eight of the drives were "non-stop" (approx. 1,080 miles) and half of them were no-nap afffairs! [Am I bragging or complaining?] :confused3

Got another drive coming up in several weeks.

We're doing it again...

This will be our fifth (I think) trip with the kids driving to Disney in February. We are coming from southern NH. We have a pretty good plan. The weather is always a factor and our last trip my husband and I both got the flu on the way down (extra stops in hotels we hadn't planned on so that we could be near a bathroom/recover.... the kids were very understanding! :) ). The kids love watching the temps rise as we get closer to FLA.

I always bring some activities for the kids that make them look out the windows, We have a DVD in the car and too much time could be spent watching movies. I want them to look out the windows and see some stuff, so I make scavenger hunt kinds of things for each state with prizes at the end( disney dollars or little disney toys). The games are things like find signs with certain names (i.e. George Washington, Savannah) or looking for palm trees.

The kids have had a great time and it kept them occupied. I put it all in a binder that the kids still look at today and remember the trip.

we had a great 12 days down here!!!! the weather was great and so were the parks and food!!! :thumbsup2 we are heading over to mk for dinner than do some last min. shopping than heading back to our villa for an early night. we have two trips planned for next year, one in may with our daughter for 8 nights and one in september with just the two of us again for 11 nights! had a great time!!!! sww ya in may!!!:thumbsup2

Aww, how nice! How about Thanksgiving week next time?? It's our 25th anniversary and we may be doing a little Disney ceremony thing. We were hoping you guys could come. Quick drive, couple of points, AP - easy :rotfl:

I always bring some activities for the kids that make them look out the windows, We have a DVD in the car and too much time could be spent watching movies. I want them to look out the windows and see some stuff,

Hey, your family might like one of our family's car games, which we call, "How 'bout This Guy?" (Great name, I know... :rotfl:) All we do is pick out a guy or gal we see on the road, and ask, "How 'bout this guy?" One of the kids will start a story about the person and why they are on the road. And then the next one picks it up and we pass the story around until it is done. Some of them turn out really good. Some, not so much! For awhile, everyone was a pirate: in my ds's world...

We are 55 days away from our first drive to WDW and I can't wait! I want to stop overnight but my husband thinks we should drive straight through. If we stop in Savannah how long would day 2 take to wdw?

:thumbsup2 i find after about the first 900 miles, the rest is a blurr!!:lmao:
Aww, how nice! How about Thanksgiving week next time?? It's our 25th anniversary and we may be doing a little Disney ceremony thing. We were hoping you guys could come. Quick drive, couple of points, AP - easy :rotfl:

are you talking nov. 2011, 2012 or 2013??? that would be cool!!!! let me know and i can see what we can do. we are going may 2012 (214 days but whos counting.:lmao:) than sept. for 11 nights in september 2012. i have to check with tammy, i think we tried that a few years ago and im not sure but i think thats a tuff week at work for her. let me know what year.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter