Extra occupancy price increase and Minnie Van = resort parking no longer a perk?

I'm decently sure you have to pay to park at Universal, but again, not a vacation spot I'd deal with a car at.
You do have to pay for parking and I don't like it a bit but my favorite resort there is so much lower in price that it doesn't sting as much.

Last edited:
Even when I am on an expense account for work, I almost always pick hotels without parking and wifi fees because they drive me so crazy. But if they added a parking charge to POP, I could stay at the Hilton for the same price as POP, there is something wrong with that.

Even when I am on an expense account for work, I almost always pick hotels without parking and wifi fees because they drive me so crazy. But if they added a parking charge to POP, I could stay at the Hilton for the same price as POP, there is something wrong with that.

Hmmm...if only we could put our finger on what...

I'm decently sure you have to pay to park at Universal, but again, not a vacation spot I'd deal with a car at.

Yep you do, which is why I didn't book there for the whole period of my trip, even though the rooms were more than 50 dollars a night cheaper; due to the parking fees it would almost completely even out.

But you get the express pass. Seems like literally a small price to pay if the difference was so close?

I don't need the express pass since I'm going in January (and you don't get the express pass in every hotel). But not only that; I considered staying at Universal to go to Disney from there since it would save me close to a thousand dollars on the trip. I didn't because the price difference is so small after parking I'd rather stay on property in Disney. If Disney charged parking, I would have booked at Universal for the entire trip instead of a few days.

For my family, going to Disney is not just, what I would call "visiting an amusement park." The entire resort (parks, hotels, restaurants) is the destination. So, when I go, I like to settle in and stay a while. Practically, move in.

I do characterize going to Universal as just "visiting an amusement park." When I go for the short period, I'm not going to care as much about paying a parking fee.

When I'm staying 3 times longer at Disney, I have a big problem with paying to park at the hotel I'm staying at. While this overall philosophy is something I've created in my head, realistically, it seems like Disney's enormous hotel prices should have parking already built in.

Is the $25 per extra guest at all the resorts or just the deluxe? We had 4 in our room at Pop earlier this month for a 4 night stay and I don't think we were charged anywhere close to an extra $200.

Is the $25 per extra guest at all the resorts or just the deluxe? We had 4 in our room at Pop earlier this month for a 4 night stay and I don't think we were charged anywhere close to an extra $200.
Just for extra adults. Not extra guests. Two adults and two under eighteen do not incur extra fees. Three or four adults incurs the fee.

Did you have 4 adults or a mix of adults and kids? Some don't even realize they were charged because it is presented as the nightly rate. I believe it is 10-15 a night per an extra adult at the value resorts.

The real kicker is dvc...how do you charge a daily parking fee when somebody has a contract that says they have an ownership interest?

That's a killer..."welcome home, now rent your driveway"

I think free parking will be a new perk introduced to DVC owners if they do end up charging a parking fee and they'll make it seem like they are doing you a favor. Something along the lines of..."new perk for all DVC owners for 2018 is free resort parking while regular guests will have to pay $X each day!"

After review, I am genuinely confused that there isn't enough parking space at places like the Boardwalk, as reported by previous guests on this thread. There are reportedly 378 inn rooms and 530 villa rooms on the property, totaling 908 rooms. Not every room is going to have a car associated with it.

boardwalk.JPG

This is the parking area, which aligns with what the Disney website designates as "Boardwalk parking"

upload_2017-7-20_9-49-7.png

I'll be honest, I stopped counting after 600- but feel free to continue. Based on the counting I did do, I'd estimate there is at least 2,000 parking spots available. Granted, some of that may be used by staff or other service vehicles, but for 908 rooms, that is a lot of parking. I really wonder where the gap is- why are guests not finding parking?

With the Polynesian, it makes more sense. Their lot is significantly smaller- likely less than 1,000 spaces. From what I can find they have about 492 rooms, plus 380 DVC rooms- totaling 872 rooms. Even still, they at least accounted for every room bringing a car and then some.

upload_2017-7-20_9-54-16.png

1.JPG

Any insight on this? Others have said that Disney has the space to add parking- I kind of disagree. If you look at the land around the Polynesian it is being used for parks, other lodging, roads, and golf courses- not to mention irrigation and water management. There are woods near Boardwalk- but must we pave all the paradise for parking lots? ;)

Parking is a limited resource, which is why many smart areas utilize mass transit effectively. My city is growing, and a side effect of that is construction on once service lots into parking garages. I imagine Disney is trying to avoid this, as it is an expensive and inconvenient option. However, that is the route they had to take in Anaheim, where they had less land to play with.

Because my time is limited, I did a quick "survey" of nearby hotels to Disney property on Expedia for a one night weekday stay in August 2017- originally getting 95 results. When I limited the search to only those providing free parking, my result was 40. So based on that very limited data- about 60% of hotels nearby do charge for parking.

For the record, I agree with all of you who hope that they don't start charging resort guests for parking. But I also think they must need to do something, or it wouldn't be surfacing as an issue. Especially when attendance is likely to go up starting in 2019. I know I am all about futuristic and effective mass transit- I know Walt was too. But they have to do what works for their budget and their guests. People tend to revolt and balk at change.

Yes , cause they advertise this as a REASON to stay
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resort-hotels-benefits/

Exactly. There have been several times I have noticed an off property hotel was cheaper and was nicer in terms of accommodations. However, they charged resort and/or parking fees. Well, I have something personally against that. It makes me absolutely nuts and I don't stay in places that have added on resort and/or parking fees. So, I would actually pay a few dollars MORE to stay at the Disney hotel than the off-site location. If Disney chooses to charge for hotel parking, well, they're leveling the playing field imo and wiping out their own edge. Suddenly, I won't mind paying the $18 fee to stay at the Swolphin.

I think free parking will be a new perk introduced to DVC owners if they do end up charging a parking fee and they'll make it seem like they are doing you a favor. Something along the lines of..."new perk for all DVC owners for 2018 is free resort parking while regular guests will have to pay $X each day!"

Quite possibly...

"Do you want your snakeoil iced or hot?"

There's aren't that many spaces at boardwalk...the lot on the other side of the street is employee and you have to have places for people to park their 1998 corollas to work the boardwalk area...

And the poly lot fills pretty well...and I have little doubt that much of that will be absorbed for a new DVC in the not too distant future.

After review, I am genuinely confused that there isn't enough parking space at places like the Boardwalk, as reported by previous guests on this thread. There are reportedly 378 inn rooms and 530 villa rooms on the property, totaling 908 rooms. Not every room is going to have a car associated with it.

The BWI parking area is frequently used by folks who want access to the Boardwalk, and that is part of the parking problem for guests.

View attachment 254413

This is the parking area, which aligns with what the Disney website designates as "Boardwalk parking"

View attachment 254416

I'll be honest, I stopped counting after 600- but feel free to continue. Based on the counting I did do, I'd estimate there is at least 2,000 parking spots available. Granted, some of that may be used by staff or other service vehicles, but for 908 rooms, that is a lot of parking. I really wonder where the gap is- why are guests not finding parking?

With the Polynesian, it makes more sense. Their lot is significantly smaller- likely less than 1,000 spaces. From what I can find they have about 492 rooms, plus 380 DVC rooms- totaling 872 rooms. Even still, they at least accounted for every room bringing a car and then some.

View attachment 254423

View attachment 254425

Any insight on this? Others have said that Disney has the space to add parking- I kind of disagree. If you look at the land around the Polynesian it is being used for parks, other lodging, roads, and golf courses- not to mention irrigation and water management. There are woods near Boardwalk- but must we pave all the paradise for parking lots? ;)

Parking is a limited resource, which is why many smart areas utilize mass transit effectively. My city is growing, and a side effect of that is construction on once service lots into parking garages. I imagine Disney is trying to avoid this, as it is an expensive and inconvenient option. However, that is the route they had to take in Anaheim, where they had less land to play with.

Because my time is limited, I did a quick "survey" of nearby hotels to Disney property on Expedia for a one night weekday stay in August 2017- originally getting 95 results. When I limited the search to only those providing free parking, my result was 40. So based on that very limited data- about 60% of hotels nearby do charge for parking.

For the record, I agree with all of you who hope that they don't start charging resort guests for parking. But I also think they must need to do something, or it wouldn't be surfacing as an issue. Especially when attendance is likely to go up starting in 2019. I know I am all about futuristic and effective mass transit- I know Walt was too. But they have to do what works for their budget and their guests. People tend to revolt and balk at change.

Not all of the lots in your photo are actually the standard boardwalk parking. One is CM parking so not available to guests. The other often has an area sectioned off for valet. I've never tried to park there though just the Beach/Yacht were it was full.

With the Poly they were using a lot of the lot to store construction equipment for several years. That took a chunk away. Add to that the people coming to watch the fireworks form the beach or to go to MK and your numbers dwindle. As someone else pointed out when you can find a spot after park closing or after the fireworks with no issue it shows you where the problem is. As you point out if they do have 600+ slots for only 800 rooms then clearly someone else is taking those spots.

IMO, the every-adult/beyond/2 in a room fee increase from $25 to $35 is
a money grab!
That will be an almost 50% increase overnight!

SO the Bean Counters could raise it AGAiN
one year after the $35;

ANOTHER almost 50% increase to
$50......

SO Maybe NEXT they will figure
the lil ones are getting away FOR FREE
with using
the Resort's Pack 'N Plays,

AND start charging $25 per night
for the extra baby bed!!

The BWI parking area is frequently used by folks who want access to the Boardwalk, and that is part of the parking problem for guests.

IF they are going to charge a parking fee,
THEN they should do something about
this parking problem!
It MUST already be frustratingly problematic for BWI guests whom having trouble finding a parking spot due to some using it to access the Boardwalk area,
Epcot's International Gateway, etc.,

BUT PAYing($20?!) per day
to self park
AND NOT finding an open parking spot?!?!

Maybe Disney could change their ad
FROM
" FREE parking included as a Resort stay benefit "

TO:

" NOW for the low cost of $20 per day
for parking @ your Resort ...

availability NOT guaranteed...."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter