Extra occupancy price increase and Minnie Van = resort parking no longer a perk?

I don't drive on vacation - unless there's no other way, like getting city to city in Ireland and I dump the car as FAST as humanly, but I'm shocked that WDW has never made guests pay for parking. I'd think regular vistors who a visit a couple of times in life would just expect to pay for parking since you pay for parking at most any place. I wonder how this will be perceived, or if it even will register, for those outside of theDis type community?

I don't drive on vacation - unless there's no other way, like getting city to city in Ireland and I dump the car as FAST as humanly, but I'm shocked that WDW has never made guests pay for parking. I'd think regular vistors who a visit a couple of times in life would just expect to pay for parking since you pay for parking at most any place. I wonder how this will be perceived, or if it even will register, for those outside of theDis type community?

Hard to say. I think some assume part of the reason Disney hotels are so much more expensive is that they don't have additional fees. Or at least didn't.

DVC members staying on points at DLR get free parking. Like I said, when your dues already go to pay for maintaining the parking lot, it's kind of hard to tell people that they need to pay more to actually use it.

I agree with @_auroraborealis_ . Charge non-resort guests to park. Validate for parking if presented with a receipt for a restaurant or gift shop within X hours of entry. Charge extra (a LOT extra) for going over the time limit to discourage parking scofflaws at the near-park resorts. And maybe, just maybe, I won't have to circle the BWV lot multiple times to park my car when I'm staying there.

But of course, Disney will do whatever they please in the long run. It feels like being nibbled to death by ducks. But people who don't know what it used to be like will just fork over their hard-earned cash because they saved and dreamed about their Disney vacation for years.

That makes sense. I could see them doing that. DVC staying on points at a DVC resort shouldn't have to pay and it seems to be that is the standard so is what would happen. Now everyone else again they could easily code the gate to be resort guests only on the "free" side and every one else who check in at the guard house has to pay or get a slip to pay when they exit. If you actually have a dinning ADR and only stay for the 3 hours that is usually quoted then no problem it is free. Stay longer then 3 hours and you pay per an hour after that. Don't have an ADR and you just want to eat quick service or shop and aren't staying on Disney property then you pay.

Hard to say. I think some assume part of the reason Disney hotels are so much more expensive is that they don't have additional fees. Or at least didn't.

I just wonder if the casual visitor even realizes that they are included. I guess that's what I'm wondering. If they don't, WDW can implement them and get very little push back. I have no idea, just wondering outloud.

I've only encountered paying to park at a hotel in big cities where places to put a vehicle are at a premium, and a lot of times, it's less than $20 per night. I go to St. Louis frequently and the hotels I stay in there charge $8-$10 per night.

Disney already significantly upcharges their hotels. If they tack a parking fee onto the already high room rates, I'll be looking for offsite accommodations. I'm not giving them $100 just to have a spot for a vehicle.

I've only encountered paying to park at a hotel in big cities where places to put a vehicle are at a premium, and a lot of times, it's less than $20 per night. I go to St. Louis frequently and the hotels I stay in there charge $8-$10 per night.

Disney already significantly upcharges their hotels. If they tack a parking fee onto the already high room rates, I'll be looking for offsite accommodations. I'm not giving them $100 just to have a spot for a vehicle.

Parking in NYC is like 40-60 a night depending on the hotel. Since Disney's valet is only 25 (or is it 30 now) I can't imagine standard parking at the hotel being more then what it is at the parks or valet.

Parking in NYC is like 40-60 a night depending on the hotel. Since Disney's valet is only 25 (or is it 30 now) I can't imagine standard parking at the hotel being more then what it is at the parks or valet.

I agree, but I don't see why Disney needs to charge for parking at all. I thought that type of thing would be included, given the price of the hotels. I mean, you don't have to pay extra to ride their buses, so why should you pay extra to stick your car in a parking space?

They'd have to charge enough to discourage people from parking at a resort instead of a the main parking lots. But also not too much that would discourage or reduce bookings. My idea in another thread is similar to those from other posters. Park at your resort for free. Park at other resorts ONLY by valet for $30. Parking at the main parking lots remains $20.
Uber/Lyft/Taxi exempt based on either current pickup status or any agreements currently in place. And most importantly, actually enforce the rules. Don't just wave people through because someone is yelling at you.

I think that negative feedback USED to matter to Disney.
But IMO, the culture is no longer one of
goodwill(an accounting intangible)
but rather it seems that no matter HOW MUCH profits increase,
the Bean Counters are continually required
TO find more ways to EVER increase profits!

SO as awful as it seems,
I do NOT see the extra fees,
higher rates for newly carved out views, etc., stopping.

They are figuring that Resorts will still get
fully booked,
OR throw a discount or 2 to guests that have felt priced out.

I think it does matter in many respects. There is a difference between complaining that ticket prices are rising while we are purchasing our tickets, and making a promise to keep our discretionary dollars from Disney restaurants and stores.

I am in the minority but I believe that the looser restrictions on dining plants are a direct response to guests refusing to commit to the increased cost of the plans, which then allowed for vacation dollars flowing to offsite restaurants as well as lodging. When you are no longer tied to the ddp you can now look to alternate lodging choices. Money lost is multiplied.

A few years ago Disney floated that dme would have a fee. Guess what? That fell flat because when guests tell Disney that one incentive to stay onsite is dme and if they are charged they might as well take the leap. Rent a car, rent offsite, dine offsite, shop offsite.

This parking fee may take place but there will be negative consequences. I am not the only one who will refuse to buy a dining plan that should I choose to use it at resorts will then incur a cost over and above my meal extras.

I agree, but I don't see why Disney needs to charge for parking at all. I thought that type of thing would be included, given the price of the hotels. I mean, you don't have to pay extra to ride their buses, so why should you pay extra to stick your car in a parking space?

I think it is more for off site guests. Sadly a lot of bad apples are ruining the perks for those that follow the rules. Between people who come to the resort to sneak into the pool to people who say they are visiting the quick service but really are going for fireworks views or off site guests who don't want to pay for parking it adds up. We sometimes rent a car and it can be infuriating to show up to the Yacht/Beach Club, the Poly, or the GF ready to park and literately have to circle the lot just to be told you either have to valet or park at the parks and take the bus back or park in the overflow lot across the street.

And that's cool to vote with your dollars:) I just can't think of a hotel that I've stayed in - other than WDW - that doesn't charge for parking, and I travel for work, a LOT, a hundred rooms a year is low for me. The places I've stayed offsite in Orlando certainly charge for parking. I don't even know if they offered non-valet at some places. More to the point, I don't think of us know what the "average" WDW guests expects.

And that's cool to vote with your dollars:) I just can't think of a hotel that I've stayed in - other than WDW - that doesn't charge for parking, and I travel for work, a LOT, a hundred rooms a year is low for me. The places I've stayed offsite in Orlando certainly charge for parking. I don't even know if they offered non-valet at some places. More to the point, I don't think of us know what the "average" WDW guests expects.

But there is a big difference. I am willing to bet the hotels you stay at with those fees, if they charge say $225 a night plus parking, are a lot nicer accommodations than the Port Orleans. Including parking and resort fees, you often times can still stay in a Hilton or Marriott off site (with free Disney transport) around the same price as a Value. It'd be a deal breaker for me.

It's always interesting to hear other people's experiences! I live in a mid-size city (around 100,000 people), but we have the headquarters of one of the largest (possibly the largest?) insurance companies in the country here, so we get a ton of business travelers here. I can only think of one hotel that charges for parking ($8 per night), because it is located in a downtown area where parking is very limited.

Either way, I really do think that Disney has inflated their hotel prices to a point that parking should be included. Use of their public transit system is included, so I think parking should be as well.

I wonder how they would enforce this with DVC resorts (like PVB). Maintenance fees from the members help to pay to maintain the parking lots, whether the owner parks a car or not. It would be difficult to justify "you paid to maintain it but you also have to pay to use it". At Aulani, there's a parking fee for day guests and visitors but DVC members staying on points park for free.
This is what I was wondering, too. I'm very fond of the perk of free parking everywhere if you are staying on site (although I rarely use it), but I could understand that disappearing for everywhere, except the hotel you are staying it (I DO use this one). If that one goes, I'm going to have a serious problem with this.

When it comes to DVC owners, if I was one, I would be outright livid at this prospect. Disney would have to give owners an exception or there would be an outright revolt, I think.

My husband has a saying: "Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered."

It's one thing for Disney to add upcharges that guests can choose to avoid and still have a good experience. It's another to add fees that are unavoidable for many guests. That's when people slam their foot down.

I've seen it both ways at other hotels. In Atlanta, if there is parking at the hotel, you are going to pay for it, most in the downtown area don't even have parking and you have to park in a lot near by. Here in Athens, our Hilton has a parking garage and you pay to park, if it's a football weekend, you pay more. We are staying at a Westin on Jekyll Island next weekend, the room rate is about rack rate for GF at WDW but the self parking is free. The Dolphin at WDW charges for parking. Most hotels in Savannah charge for parking. Frankly, I'd rather just see it added into the price of the room and stop the silly extra charges. Kind of like the airlines, just raise your rates and stop charging for bags.

This is what I was wondering, too. I'm very fond of the perk of free parking everywhere if you are staying on site (although I rarely use it), but I could understand that disappearing for everywhere, except the hotel you are staying it (I DO use this one). If that one goes, I'm going to have a serious problem with this.

When it comes to DVC owners, if I was one, I would be outright livid at this prospect. Disney would have to give owners an exception or there would be an outright revolt, I think.

Currently there's no charge to DVC owners staying on points in Hawai'i or California. I'd expect the same in Orlando just because we're already paying dues.

I really wish Disney released actual numbers. It surprises me to hear that many of the deluxe-lodgers on this thread had to circle to find a spot. That makes me wonder about lot size relative to resort size, and drivers vs. transit users.

Not driving is definitely a perk on vacation, which is why I try to travel to cities like Chicago, San Franciso, etc. where you can really rely on mass transit. Disney's transit is pretty limited in some ways-almost forcing people to either bring cars or use a car service. For example, traveling to restaurants outside of park hours. I don't think the Minnie Van's will totally solve that (or are meant to), but I do think it will be a great revenue boost for them.

It is not unreasonable to ask offsite guests to pay for onsite parking. If onsite guests want to drive to another resort and that resort has limited parking it is not unreasonable for them to pay a fee or validate with dining/shopping purchases. That's pretty standard in places where parking is a limited and desirable commodity. I pay over $100 a month to park a few blocks away for work. That's the low end of parking rates. When I travel I intentionally look for lodging that includes parking or has a reasonable rate. The upcharges are annoying, I prefer one number to worry about.

Hopefully Disney approaches this rationally (if it's true). As for pool views, I will never understand those. We live next to a pool and all it ever means is limited parking, loud loud loud, people walking haphazardly, litter, and seeing lots of people in very little. A waterview, now that I get. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter