Extra occupancy price increase and Minnie Van = resort parking no longer a perk?

Wonder05

Mouseketeer
So yesterday , Tikiman on Facebook said that next year Disney will be charging $35 instead of the $25 per person for over 2 adult occupancy per night.
This was posted along with the new Polynesian views upcharge which makes a pool/marina $100 more. Plus, there just might be a self parking fee of $20 per day regardless if your staying at the resort or not.

Think this could have anything to do with the new "Minnie Van" service?

No. I think it is part of the ideas to increase Disney revenue stream. The Minnie Vans are an answer to the Uber and taxi requests from guests, IMO.

As to teh upcharges under consideration, I think the only way to combat them is to be vocal with your wallet.

I would hate it if they added a parking charge for resort guests as we normally drive. That would factor into our pricing of the trip (we always run the cost of tickets vs the cost of gas and hotels on the road...driving is still usually better). This upcoming trip is the first time we will fly as we got great rates, and there are only two of us.

BUT, I would not be shocked. They are called "resorts" and most other companies that run resorts charge for parking or wrap that into the added "Resort Fee" that is tacked on. We have been fortunate that this hasn't happened before. I don't like the idea, but honestly, I have figured it was inevitable.

I would hate it if they added a parking charge for resort guests as we normally drive. That would factor into our pricing of the trip (we always run the cost of tickets vs the cost of gas and hotels on the road...driving is still usually better). This upcoming trip is the first time we will fly as we got great rates, and there are only two of us.

BUT, I would not be shocked. They are called "resorts" and most other companies that run resorts charge for parking or wrap that into the added "Resort Fee" that is tacked on. We have been fortunate that this hasn't happened before. I don't like the idea, but honestly, I have figured it was inevitable.

The parking charge at a resort or park would upset me. I just attended a post wedding brunch at the hotel that the wedding party had blocked of rooms for the group. There was a $17 overnight parking fee for hotel guests, and that makes zero sense to me. Ironically, our parking ticket was validated for out breakfast.

I wonder how they would enforce this with DVC resorts (like PVB). Maintenance fees from the members help to pay to maintain the parking lots, whether the owner parks a car or not. It would be difficult to justify "you paid to maintain it but you also have to pay to use it". At Aulani, there's a parking fee for day guests and visitors but DVC members staying on points park for free.

Our trips are usually 2 weeks. So with view upcharge and parking thie extra fees would add $1600 ish on to cost. I don't think so! And my GF can't be far behind. They don't have upcharge for pool or Marina views either. Won't be long :sad2:

The parking would be in line with what they do at Disneyland. How is DVC handled out there? They could easily make the gates MB accessible with a valid resort stay and any locals or off site who try to park have to pay.

The rest is what it is can't fight it now. My big thing will be if I pay extra for the "view" then I better get it. There have been too many times we pay extra and barely look at a pool or marina or theme park. Never complained but with rates going up it is starting to get to the point that I'll want a refund for the nightly rate difference or the view I booked.

I think a better solution would be to make people pay to park for ADRs, and people who are not staying at that property. No "I'm here for resort hopping or CS!"

I don't think there should be any parking fees at resorts. Once Disney goes down this road and if guests do not push back, there will be more upcharges to follow. At some point there needs to be a tipping point and I fear that Disney will continue to reach for that point until all of a sudden folks are outpriced.

I know that I spend money at the resorts when I visit, and the day I am charged to park in order to dine or shop is the day I stop visiting the resorts. Disney has already begun to stretch my budget more than I like, so if it costs me money to spend my money I will look elsewhere for a vacation destination.

At some level, minimally, they need to validate parking. So, you're there to do X? Parking is free if you spend at least $Y, and you are turning in your validation no later than Z minutes past the validation stamp. You know, like how a billion parking ramps in at least 4 countries handle this stuff.

It'd do wonders for parking at Boardwalk, fo sho.

Right, but where did he get the info and why isn't anyone else reporting this?

Tikiman gets a lot of inside information and while I don't think it all pans out in the end, I do think he is a reliable source. If he is posting it he is pretty sure that at least for now, it is accurate. Disney may get pushback before it is even in place and will pull the idea, but that does not mean it was not a plan at one point. Think Resort Fees that were being bandied about. Id Disney had not gotten the negative feedback about those little ditties, I bet you a buck that idea floating around would be in place now.

At some level, minimally, they need to validate parking. So, you're there to do X? Parking is free if you spend at least $Y, and you are turning in your validation no later than Z minutes past the validation stamp. You know, like how a billion parking ramps in at least 4 countries handle this stuff.

It'd do wonders for parking at Boardwalk, fo sho.

I will agree that the Boardwalk does need something to control that parking mess.

Tikiman gets a lot of inside information and while I don't think it all pans out in the end, I do think he is a reliable source. If he is posting it he is pretty sure that at least for now, it is accurate. Disney may get pushback before it is even in place and will pull the idea, but that does not mean it was not a plan at one point. Think Resort Fees that were being bandied about. Id Disney had not gotten the negative feedback about those little ditties, I bet you a buck that idea floating around would be in place now.

I think that negative feedback USED to matter to Disney.
But IMO, the culture is no longer one of
goodwill(an accounting intangible)
but rather it seems that no matter HOW MUCH profits increase,
the Bean Counters are continually required
TO find more ways to EVER increase profits!

SO as awful as it seems,
I do NOT see the extra fees,
higher rates for newly carved out views, etc., stopping.

They are figuring that Resorts will still get
fully booked,
OR throw a discount or 2 to guests that have felt priced out.

spot on

Last edited:
The parking would be in line with what they do at Disneyland. How is DVC handled out there? They could easily make the gates MB accessible with a valid resort stay and any locals or off site who try to park have to pay.

The rest is what it is can't fight it now. My big thing will be if I pay extra for the "view" then I better get it. There have been too many times we pay extra and barely look at a pool or marina or theme park. Never complained but with rates going up it is starting to get to the point that I'll want a refund for the nightly rate difference or the view I booked.
DVC members staying on points at DLR get free parking. Like I said, when your dues already go to pay for maintaining the parking lot, it's kind of hard to tell people that they need to pay more to actually use it.

I agree with @_auroraborealis_ . Charge non-resort guests to park. Validate for parking if presented with a receipt for a restaurant or gift shop within X hours of entry. Charge extra (a LOT extra) for going over the time limit to discourage parking scofflaws at the near-park resorts. And maybe, just maybe, I won't have to circle the BWV lot multiple times to park my car when I'm staying there.

But of course, Disney will do whatever they please in the long run. It feels like being nibbled to death by ducks. But people who don't know what it used to be like will just fork over their hard-earned cash because they saved and dreamed about their Disney vacation for years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter