E-Ticket Nights- Just a Replacement for Late Hours or a Real Deal

E-Ticket is.....

• making us pay for the 3 hours we used to have in the park for free (with admission)

• a beniffit that is an extension, not a replacement, of park hours

• some of Option 1 & 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by Pinnie
IMHO, I personally think the e-ticket is for the benefit of the RESORT guests.
Yes, by screwing anyone staying in a hotel without "Disney®" as part of the name. :(

I think it is a perk, pure and simple! I don't mind paying the extra $12 bucks to go, and am glad it is offered. Otherwise, there wouldn't be anyway to go to MK at night in the value season, as they always closed early. Also, it is usually offered during the week during the regular and peak seasons, when the park wouldn't be open as late anyway. Unfortunately, no matter what WDW does, or doesn't do, it will never satisfy everyone.

Also, it is usually offered during the week during the regular and peak seasons, when the park wouldn't be open as late anyway.
So it’s OK with you that for seven nights a week they close the ENTIRE park two hours early as long as they give you the “perk” of being able to buy back an eighth of the park for an extra hour at over 20% of the full day’s cost?

WOW!! You’re easy!! Ei$ner wishes there were more of you around!!

ive gone to WDW since the late 80s always in fall and winter. The original idea for e night was fine but now the parks are closing earlier and earlier. So we dont really get an extra 3 hrs. Last dec when i went MK was packed on Sat & Sunday but they still had short hours. When i got home I realized for the first time that I hadnt bought anything at the partks besides food. I was too busy standing in lines and trying to see things. In the long run Disney actually lost money from me. Some of the magic is there but not like when i first started to go. :(

WOW!! You’re easy!! Ei$ner wishes there were more of you around!!

Yeah, maybe so, but since they are going to be closing the parks early anyway, why not offer some of us who are willing to part with the $12 that perk? I have no problem with it, and obviously there must be others who don't either, or else they wouldn't have been so up in arms about E ticket nights not being offered this past May.

I live near a highly popular and reputable theme park, which is closed for 4 1/2 months during the winter. When it does open in the spring, it is only open until 6 during the week, and 7, or if you are lucky, 8 on the weekends.

In the summer it runs 10-1O, but that doesn't start until mid June, when schools are out, and ends mid August when the kids go back to college. Then it reverts back to spring hours until the end of October.

The prices of the tickets are no less than those of a one day ticket at WDW, and they do not change according to what hours the park is open. I just don't understand why everyone is so upset, I guess... it could always be worse!

I would part with $12 if it ment we would actually do something different! If we stay to 11 pm at the park, yawn, how many times have we done that?!!?!?! It's staying till 2 am and riding Space 14 times in a row that I would park with my all-mighty money.

Eeyore0062
Yeah, maybe so, but since they are going to be closing the parks early anyway, why not offer some of us who are willing to part with the $12 that perk?
Ahhh! And there’s the rub!! It all goes back to the park closing early! They create a need (i.e. closing the park early) and then fill that need with a 12 buck deal!! Hmmm. Seems to me there was a band salesman in River City Iowa that used the same tactics. Create the need (evil pool hall) and then fill that need (the boys band). I think the townspeople talked about tar and feathers…. Hmmm. HEY!!! Now that’s something we haven’t talked about before!! Think we can ride Ei$ner out on a rail!?!?!

I have no problem with it, and obviously there must be others who don't either, or else they wouldn't have been so up in arms about E ticket nights not being offered this past May.
Heck!!! I hate the concept of e-ticket night. Yet I’d be the loudest voice if they had cancelled July’s. Why? Simple. It’s the only way that a body can do the things that need doing without standing in ungodly lines during the hot humid day. And again why? BECAUSE THEY SHORTENED THE HOURS!!! Kind of a vicious circle, wouldn’t you say?

I live near a highly popular and reputable theme park, which is closed for 4 1/2 months during the winter. When it does open in the spring, it is only open until 6 during the week, and 7, or if you are lucky, 8 on the weekends.

In the summer it runs 10-1O, but that doesn't start until mid June, when schools are out, and ends mid August when the kids go back to college. Then it reverts back to spring hours until the end of October.
I keep asking and no seems answer. What in the heck does that have to do with Disney and the “STANDARDS” they set for themselves way back in 1955 and carried through until 1984 or so. They are either Disney or they are not. And what some local yahoos do with their amusement park is simply not relevant to they way Disney should operate.

Originally posted by eeyore0062
Yeah, maybe so, but since they are going to be closing the parks early anyway, why not offer some of us who are willing to part with the $12 that perk? I have no problem with it, and obviously there must be others who don't either, or else they wouldn't have been so up in arms about E ticket nights not being offered this past May.
I think it kinda of justifies their idea of closing the park early, no? If were to visit MK in September the park would close at 6pm on a weekend, which is unacceptable. 9 or even 8 I'd understand, but 6pm?! DL is open until 10. But maybe because people going to DL aren't such a captive audience, the customer's wants have a bigger hand in dictating the hours.

So are you saying that we should thank Eisner because it stays open 365 (even though that's the standard they've set for themselves & what we've come to expect)? I always thought the idea of Disney parks was to lead & not follow. WDW is not a "local" park. People come from all over the world to go to WDW. I'm not saying that no foreign tourists ever visit other parks, but I think it's a stretch to try to compare a local amusement park to WDW.

The prices of the tickets are no less than those of a one day ticket at WDW, and they do not change according to what hours the park is open. I just don't understand why everyone is so upset, I guess... it could always be worse!
I've yet to visit a single amusment park that can hold a candle to WDW or DL, (though Knott's comes closest & I've heard that IOA is pretty close too). Our local park is the only one & the orginal Six Flags (which has similar hours to the one by you). It's pretty much a captive audience, yet they feel the need to offer ticket discounts during the summer season. Pretty sad IMO. The reason everyone is upset is because they've set the expectations of what the cost of a ticket gets you & the tciket price has increased while the expectations haven't been completely met. I've heard that Fast Passes are soon going to be charged & I promise people will be livid. They'd be mad if they did away with the system all together (not having the option), but it still doesn't change the fact that now people expect Fast Pass to be free & they'll then turn around & say now that you're used to it you'll need to give us cash to keep doing it. Perhaps Eisner was a crack dealer in his early days?

JeffinD,

The way I see it is that the consumer has a choice..either stay on Disney property or stay off site. Some off site places offer perks, (Hampton's "FREE" breakfast) some don't. When I stay at an AS, I sure don't expect the same "perks" that I get when I am at my DVC home.

Also, to further muddy the waters, DAK closes early yet the ticket price is the same as it is for the MK which has longer hours, WS opens later than FW, yet tickets are NOT discounted. Now, I am a newbie to these discussions, has anyone ever discussed that? If there is a link, please post it.

Thanks for the interesting discussion:)

Pin
remember the magic

You know, I would have no problem what-so-ever with E-Ride Nights if they just did them on weekdays during the off season. I mean, they always closed the MK down early in the winter anyway, so the E-ticket Nights could be seen as an added perk in the winter. But I cannot accept them doing them in the summer -- the MK needs to be open till at least Midnight every night during the summer season, like it used to be. There are just to many people there during the day, and the heat is terrible, for them to be closing at 10pm everynight.

I see it this way - E-rides in the winter would be giving something extra to the guests, but E-rides in the summer are taking something away from the guests, and it really sucks... :mad:

Originally posted by Pinnie
JeffinD,

The way I see it is that the consumer has a choice..either stay on Disney property or stay off site. Some off site places offer perks, (Hampton's "FREE" breakfast) some don't. When I stay at an AS, I sure don't expect the same "perks" that I get when I am at my DVC home.
Initially e-nights was a great idea & a nice perk for people staying at Disney hotels. The problem is now it's hours they would have been open before. It's basically making people pay for what should have been theirs from the start & punishing people for having the audacity to not stay at a Disney hotel. Regardless of which group someone falls in, they're getting screwed.

Also, to further muddy the waters, DAK closes early yet the ticket price is the same as it is for the MK which has longer hours, WS opens later than FW, yet tickets are NOT discounted.
The reason that AK closes earlier is because of the primary focus of the park, the animals - most of them are only awake while the sun is out, which is why the park also opens earlier than the other parks. I believe the reason that WS opens later has something to do with the fact that alcohol is sold in that section. Perhaps someone could shed a little more light on this? One of the main reasons they're all the same price is persuade people to buy park hoppers. I would spend $50 for a day at MK or Epcot, but I doubt I would for MGM & I know I wouldn't for AK.

I hate to keep comparing MK to DL (since MK always seems to be on the losing end), but people who go to DL always get more bang for their buck & end up paying $5 less for it. Is it wrong to expect at least a little parity, especially for paying more money?

Now, I am a newbie to these discussions, has anyone ever discussed that? If there is a link, please post it.
Welcome aboard! I think you'll find we're a pretty diverse crowd, you've got Eisner Apologists, people with good ole days syndrome, people who don't care, etc. I think you'll find a common bond though, we all hate Pressler, oh yeah & our love for Disney too. ;)

Originally posted by eeyore0062

I wouldn't call a park owned by Anheiser-Busch a "local" park, either.
Perhaps not, but I think if Busch Gardens or the Sea World parks weren't within half a day's trip to Disney or other parks they wouldn't have nearly the amount of guests that they enjoy, while if the Bud parks vanished the effects on the Disney parks would hardly be felt IMO.

Jeff in Big d,

First, thanks for the welcome! Much appreciated.

Second, I guess you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't feel "Screwed" paying extra for e-ticket night. IF the hours were in writing somewhere, then I could say I agree with you. But as the disclaimer usually says, "Hours subject to change without notice". I also don't think it is "punishment" as much as it is "rewarding" the guests staying onsite. It is all in the perception.

As to AK, I understand that the park's open/close cycle is dependant upon animals. But, FL is on Daylight Savings Time, and during the summer the sun is out a LOT longer ....following that out, why isn't DAK open later in the evening when it's a bit cooler, because we all know that park is a sauna in the summer? Zoos up here do have longer hours in the summer. Just musing.....

I am an AP holder, and try and come down 2 - 4 times a yr. so it really doesn't matter all that much if WS opens later than FW.

As to DL, I was there last year and was disappointed how many attractions were down for rehab. The monorail was only operating one way, Matterhorn was down and don't even get me started on DCA!!! Only thing there that was worthwhile was Soaring. But it got me to thinking about *maybe* why they can extend their hours longer than WDW. They save a ton of money on transportation costs. They don't have to shuttle guests back and forth to resorts, and since they don't have the number of onsite resort guests, e-ticket nights are moot.

I guess I would be more upset if Disney was the ONLY company that is cutting some things that we, as long time guests, are used too, but they are not. I fly down and no longer get in-flight meals (Ok I know...airline food sucks) but it's not offered any more (nor can I even BUY a sandwich on board) and my ticket prices have risen ( that's the perk of living in a city that is a hub to a major airline).

Will any of these things keep me away? Nope. I know the bottom line is Disney is a business and needs to answer to the stockholders first, as much as I'd like to believe otherwise. If I don't like something, I will complain and hope that someone is listening. But I will choose my battles and if means closing a park a few hours early as opposed to closing a park altogether, then I know where my energy will go.

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCV 2002

Your airness and my good lord Baron - tag team WDW wrestling. I can take you both ;)...........

Now - before I lay into you remember my position. When E night was FIRST offered the parks went from being open until midnight, to being open until 11, with a three hour E-night.

So..........

late night in the MK went from being a bonus to old-timers (Baron & I could hit all the major rides back then while other people were watching parades or fireworks and hit even more b/c after these, nomral Joe Blow heads back for his hotel tired, while Baron & I and our familiies ---who knew to rest up during the heat of the day---spend the last hour of the park in relative quiet. If you knew what you were doing -- ie. arrive early, eat & swim at the pool int he middle, and stay late -- you got The Magic Big Time. )

Been there, done that, doing that.....the ONLY way to do WDW. You guys don't have a corner on the market when it comes to the most effective way to do WDW.

So how, and when did that change - and did it change completely? Now remember, we aren't talking the 80's and a 1 am close as a reference point. That was a decade gone by and we can't live in the past.

Lets wander down 90's memory lane. It is the Early 90's. The MK is open until midnight in the summer - EVERY NIGHT!!! (caps and exclamation thrown in for Baron - he likes those things ;)). What larry described above is the way to go. You still have that wonderful latenight (granted, not 1 am) when you finished watching the fireworks, or even the late parade, and then rode Splash Mountain three times in a row - WALK ON!!! Barons pixie dust filled the air. FAst forward to the late 90's and the advent of E-night in response to.........whatever. Now the park closes at 11 :(. However, a new option - for $10 you can stay in the park for another three hours. Most of your favorite rides are open and there is NOBODY!!! there. BTW - there were still two, count em two, parades and the fireworks. If you saw the early parade and then the fireworks you could still work your way over to your mountain of choice and ride it with no line. If you weren't staying for E-night there was still plenty of pixie dust - just an hour less to enjoy it. However, if all you could see fit to do was stand at the gate with your arms folded and say 'I want my hour back' you might not have known it. So, no..........

With all due respect, your premise is flawed. It is not 'one hour' it is at least two hours. If it normally stays open until 12 or 1 just a few short years ago, but now closes at 10, that is 2 or three hours lost. Getting back e#night seemed great at the time, until you realize it is only 1/8 of the park for extra money.

....at this point there is no flaw in my premise. You lost an hour (from 12 to 11) but got back three completely free and empty hour - just as empty, if not more so, that the 11:00 to midnight hour in the Pre E days. So it was 1/8 of the park - big deal. We knew we were doing E-night so we did all the non E-night stuff during the day and only needed the 1/8 that was open. So long as we didn't see fit to just stand there and say 'but this isn't open......... we had a GREAT time - and you know what, the magical pixie dust was there, at 2 am - a time when you could never have been there (remember - we aren't in the 80's anymore) - even though it was only 1/8. And you had options for making it work other ways. Perhaps you did Epcot until closing, which back in the day may have been 10, and then went to the MK and still had 3.5 hours to enjoy the best rides the MK had to offer. Without E-night and with a midnight closing you would have had only an hour and a half. Yeah, it was the whole park - but you can't do the whole park in an hour and a half - much less 3+. I will say it again - all of this was a fun filled, Magical good time for us. It was good for others as well, as TT points out.......

I would part with $12 if it ment we would actually do something different! If we stay to 11 pm at the park, yawn, how many times have we done that?!!?!?! It's staying till 2 am and riding Space 14 times in a row that I would park with my all-mighty money.

Riding rides until 2 am WAS DIFFERENT - and Magical. Riding your fave mountain again and again with no line WAS DIFFERENT - when you did it for THREE HOURS, as opposed to the one hour from 11 to 12 when you could have done it in the past. THAT was the case with E-night when it first began.

That is where my E-night good time premise stops. Fast forward another year + and it is down to a 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 closing and you are truely only buying back something you had peviously and should have had for the price of regular admission.

Hey Landbaron, do you think Eisner is related to P.T. Barnum. He's pretty good at finding suckers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter