DVC's Coming Soon: Poly & CR (Likely a hoax)

I just got back from a great trip (stayed at VWL). On Thursday, December 22, we stopped in at BCV to check it out (it's the only DVC we have yet to stay at).

The front desk manager took us for a tour of a 1BR. She was very pleasant and gracious and it was a great tour. Although tempted to question her about the "rumors", I did not.

When I told her we had stayed at all the other DVCs, she mentioned the CR. She said:

- The Contemporary will have DVC and that the current renovations are part of that; and

- It is part of the WDW philosophy and business model to place DVC at as many of there current resorts (I took this to mean Deluxe) as possible. This is specifically because of the fact that DVC offers incredible occupancy rates even during less desirable weeks (the week of 12/17, she said Yacht club had comparably low occupancy, whereas DVC was packed).

I pushed back on the Contemporary issue...saying I had read the "rumors" for some time. She looked at me and said..."I don't know what you've read, but it IS going to happen."

I also saw the sign with the gift wrap. I assumed it was a Contemporary Resort announcement, but did not have any independent confirmation.

I did not write this to be controversial. Rather, I am simply adding the information I received to the discussion. I will be much happier when "rumor" becomes clarified/publicly announced fact.

Fun to dream...but it will mean I have to do yet another trip to stay at ALL the DVCs...Oh, Darn!! ;)

Steamboat Bill said:
Perhaps it is a brand new location on that large piece of unused land between the Poly and CR?

I had heard that several years back Disney wanted to build a resort on that plot of land as it is prime real estate with a perfect location. I heard that the soil tests came back indicating that the ground is way too soft and a lot of extra, very expensive, work would be required to build anything there, so plans were dropped.

I agree, it would be the perfect place for DVC location-wise, but I don't expect it to happen due to costs associated with building there.

vascubaguy said:
I was thinking the same thing earlier this morning. I heard that the 15th is supposed to be the "cut-off" for the current SSR promo, but today was the first time I saw anything about the "unveiling on the 15th".

I think the 15th was associated with the end of the current incentive on SSR but I just talked to my guide within the last day or so and she said the incentive was going through the end of the month so we may have to wait even longer to see what that sign says!!!

Cyn

I believe that there will be a DVC at the Contemporary. I guess what I don't understand is why it would be announced now as opposed to right before SSR is about to sell out. It seems to me that a premature announcement could cut into SSR sales. Or perhaps SSR is closer to selling out than we realize?

gppnj said:
I believe that there will be a DVC at the Contemporary. I guess what I don't understand is why it would be announced now as opposed to right before SSR is about to sell out. It seems to me that a premature announcement could cut into SSR sales. Or perhaps SSR is closer to selling out than we realize?

I was kind of wondering this myself because when we were there in November, the sales office was hopping and you'd see guides giving tours EVERWHERE!

Cyn

Steamboat Bill said:
Perhaps it is a brand new location on that large piece of unused land between the Poly and CR?

What piece of unused land is this? I am picturing TTC and parking lots btwn CR and Poly? I need an overhead--Doc?

What ever happened to the somrthing Pines? That was more than a rumor-thewre were e-mails and sketches sent by DVC.

It does make sense to put DVC in resorts because we will go ANYTIME. It is also a good selling point-"With DVC you can always stay in a DELUXE resort". I am not a numbers person, but I would think that DVC members maintenance fees help to maintain pools and other keep up of resorts such as Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge and (maybe) CR, and Disney does not have to raise prices of hotel rooms, as frequently, for this purpose. If Disney need to lower prices to get rid of rooms, they can and still have the consistent income of DVC maintenance fees.
That said, let's put a DVC in every DELUXE.
Would we want to see DVC in moderate resorts like CBR, PO and CS, but with a lot less point value as at Deluxe resorts?

gppnj said:
Somehow, on this board, there's a high expectation that when the billboard is unwrapped, we'll see the announcement of a new DVC resort. Although that's a possibility, my guess is that it's more likely to be the news that DVC membership has hit 100,000 (or something along those lines).

Let's assume that rumors of a DVC resort at the Contemporary are correct. In that case, planning has been proceeding without any official announcement (but with plenty of leaks). At some point, DVD will make an official announcement, probably when they start to file timeshare registrations in states throughout the U.S. or else when actual demolition and contruction gets underway. At that point, it can no longer be kept a secret, so DVD will issue a press release. The news will appear in real estate publications, Orlando area publications, a few publications elsewhere, and on websites such as this one. The rest of the world will take no notice.

For close to two years after any official announcement, folks on this board will bemoan the fact that there's little if any additional official news about the resort.

There's no reason for billboards or magazine ads or flyers in WDW resort rooms or a fancy website until points actually go on sale. It will likely be 2008 at the earliest before the Contemporary Villas would be available for occupancy. Points will go on sale and will be marketed when Disney Vacation Development determines that the timing is right. The status of Saratoga Springs will be one factor, and compliance with legal regulations will be another. My guess is that points for the Contemporary Villas won't be sold until late 2007 at the earliest.

And, at this time, the Contemporary Villas resort is still just an oft-repeated rumor that may or may not become a reality.

nezy said:
What piece of unused land is this? I am picturing TTC and parking lots btwn CR and Poly? I need an overhead--Doc?

There is quite a stretch of unused land between TTC and the Contemporary. It would have a great view of the Magic Kingdom, it would be an ideal location.

I tracked down the article I ready about it. It is from JimHillMedia. It talks about a number of different topics so you have to scroll down a ways and find the discussion of the Venetian and the Mediterranean resorts which were each planned at one point for this parcel:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1152

Waiting with anticipation for the announcement....I would love to do an add on! :rolleyes1

new_yawka said:
I just got back from a great trip (stayed at VWL). On Thursday, December 22, we stopped in at BCV to check it out (it's the only DVC we have yet to stay at).

The front desk manager took us for a tour of a 1BR. She was very pleasant and gracious and it was a great tour. Although tempted to question her about the "rumors", I did not.

When I told her we had stayed at all the other DVCs, she mentioned the CR. She said:

- The Contemporary will have DVC and that the current renovations are part of that; and

- It is part of the WDW philosophy and business model to place DVC at as many of there current resorts (I took this to mean Deluxe) as possible. This is specifically because of the fact that DVC offers incredible occupancy rates even during less desirable weeks (the week of 12/17, she said Yacht club had comparably low occupancy, whereas DVC was packed).

I pushed back on the Contemporary issue...saying I had read the "rumors" for some time. She looked at me and said..."I don't know what you've read, but it IS going to happen."

I also saw the sign with the gift wrap. I assumed it was a Contemporary Resort announcement, but did not have any independent confirmation.

I did not write this to be controversial. Rather, I am simply adding the information I received to the discussion. I will be much happier when "rumor" becomes clarified/publicly announced fact.

Fun to dream...but it will mean I have to do yet another trip to stay at ALL the DVCs...Oh, Darn!! ;)

Thanks for sharing this! For someone in her position to say stuff like that makes her statements more believeable. I'm starting to feel excited!

Thanks Rence. That was interesting to read-all of it actually.
Horace Horsecaller-I was thinking that also, that this probably something that we already know about, but it is Disney's way of announcing something to spark interest. Maybe it says the dining plan is available for DVC! :confused3

Contemporary is going to happen and Yes they have plans to expand to other resorts.

As to the billboard it is not an announcement for expansion it is simply there to promote on property awareness of DVC.

Sammie said:
Contemporary is going to happen and Yes they have plans to expand to other resorts.

I heard the same type of confirmation from a DVC info desk CM when we visited the CR in October. I didn't post about it at that time because I thought it was common knowledge. The rumors have been going on for so long I thought it would be old news...

MickeyCrazed said:
I heard the same type of confirmation from a DVC info desk CM when we visited the CR in October. I didn't post about it at that time because I thought it was common knowledge. The rumors have been going on for so long I thought it would be old news...

the rumors are definitely are old news. I guess some will not believe it until they see an official annoucement, but unless something major happens DVC at the Contemporary is a done deal. Now as to what will be next is anyone's guess. Not sure even Disney knows which resort will be next. But the long term plan is to keep adding to the exisiting resorts and as stated it is to help keep occupany up year round.

Since we all know the Contemporary was not a hot property lately, my guess will be AKL. Simply because even though it is well recieved my many, it does not get the repeat customer base that other resorts do and because it is so large it does not always stay full.

I know this might be wishful thinking but the wording "coming soon" does not seem to fit some of those other scenarios.

Coming Soon! - Dining Plan? :confused3

Coming Soon! - New Billboard? :confused3

Coming Soon! - 100,000th Member? :confused3

Coming Soon! - New DVC at CR!!! :worship: :dancer: That's it!!!!

Can someone please tell me exactly where this billboard is located? I will be at SSR from 1/11 - 1/18 and will check it out then report when I get back. Thanks!

Sammie said:

As to the billboard it is not an announcement for expansion it is simply there to promote on property awareness of DVC.

How do you know for sure?

I thought they were turning the Contemporary South Wing into DVC and that is why it is being rehabbed! I also thought this had been confirmed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter