DVC studios - fewer amenities

This change is probably a knee-jerk reaction to the news reports about the glasses in hotel rooms not being washed properly, but my question is this..... Since we no longer have glasses and mugs, but throw aways, is this going to increase membership dues? Someone has to pay for them. This is a question I would like to have an answer to.

I also think the members should have been notified of this change since when we purchased we were told that certain things were to be supplied in every room, be it a studio, 1 BR, 2BR or grand villa. There are lists provided noting what items are to be in the rooms.

I agree that this is a reaction to those press issues. When that first hit the air (even before CR got mentioned, it was Holiday Inns etc too) everyone, even on the boards, was saying that they specifically ask for disposables so this wouldn't be a problem. I wonder if there was an overwhelming response from the public and they decided it was just easier to replace them, than have special requests in so many rooms.

I am sure if there is a reaction in the opposite direction they might have to reconsider this policy. Although I figure the last thing they want is anyone setting up cameras in the DVC units and finding Mousekeeping takings shortcuts there and getting bad press.

I don't think that members are "guaranteed" anything in the contracts or POS....it is merely a list of "standard items" and like everything else in the POS it is subject to change at Disney's discretion.

There is no dishwasher . You only have a small wet bar sink you have A microwave but no stove .

Hell paper cups and plactic forks and paper napkins Not a problem for me .

I think it makes sence that you do not have actual glass ware and pots and pans and the whole kitchen sink.

I normaly get a 1 brm or a 2 brm I think they are merely tring to make the studio what it is in my mind the lowest level of stay.

This is my 2 cent Now that i have said it I will get flamed by everyone for saying it.

SO keep the flames down please

Besides the last time I was in a studio there was not any glass ware and that was when BCV opened.(note it was the last time i did stay in a studio)

Dave

They're supposed to be a seperate entity from the other resorts so the DVC resorts can respond different than the deluxes to this issue if this is the cause. I'm sure if a camera moment came up with a 'gotcha' at one of the DVC timeshares it could influence sales.

But the difference between the Contemporary, if they were to go that route, and the DVC studios is the one gets daily housekeeping. If you're going to be in a studio for a week and they're going to go this route (I see no legal way reason they can't) at the very least they should leave enough supplies for the length of stay.

I don't really even have a problem if they included a supply of old fashioned hot liquid paper cups, but if they are the typical household styro cups, I absolutely hate those for hot liquids. I don't use styro plates or cups at home, even for big family gatherings.

I don't really even have a problem if they included a supply of old fashioned hot liquid paper cups, but if they are the typical household styro cups, I absolutely hate those for hot liquids. I don't use styro plates or cups at home, even for big family gatherings.

They can put the hot cup you get all over the property the paper printed disney ones..

What is the email address for MS?

This has hit a nerve with me. DVC is suppose to be "deluxe" accommodations. Drinking wine from a foam cup is not an enjoyable experience. The four cups will last less than a day: we have juice and coffee in our room everyday.

Not my idea of a ‘home away from home.’

by someone who burns themself with coffee in one of those cups.:surfweb:

I know when we fly and get to the airport I always get coffee before we leave and this past FEB at PHL( Philly) when I got my coffee I grab the top portion of the cup and MAN was that hot. Dummy:lmao: that's why they put the coffee cup in that cardboard holder. RIGHT , and it was still hot to hold.:scared1:

Can't imagine washing these cups for 4 days:rotfl: sorry

What is the email address for MS?

This has hit a nerve with me. DVC is suppose to be "deluxe" accommodations. Drinking wine from a foam cup is not an enjoyable experience. The four cups will last less than a day: we have juice and coffee in our room everyday.

Not my idea of a ‘home away from home.’

I thought you were suppose to drink the wine from the bottle:rotfl2:

by someone who burns themself with coffee in one of those cups.:surfweb:

I know when we fly and get to the airport I always get coffee before we leave and this past FEB at PHL( Philly) when I got my coffee I grab the top portion of the cup and MAN was that hot. Dummy:lmao: that's why they put the coffee cup in that cardboard holder. RIGHT , and it was still hot to hold.:scared1:

Can't imagine washing these cups for 4 days:rotfl: sorry

The temp of coffe from a normal coffee pot is around 125-130 you will not get burned from that .(NICE TRY)

Wine from a paper cup or from a glass or from a plastic cup is still wine it taste the same.......

OMG people let it go ..

This is a step way backward. I can't imagine the increase in waste, all from a company that beats its chest in how environmentally sound they are. What hypocrites! :mad:

I am so glad we have a ownerslocker (actually 2) we have our margarita glasses, wine glasses with nice corkscrew, our favorite mugs, and a nice bottle of wine or 3 all waiting for us upon arrival. Another score for OL! :idea:

Just got back from AKV SV Studio stay (loved it.)
Info from a Manager is that there is a new "disposables in Studios" policy in effect across property: Studios will no longer have glasses or mugs - only disposable plates and cups. Since you're never supposed to use styrofoam in a microwave, you have to heat water for tea in the coffee maker, or bring your own microwavable mug. I wouldn't put the plastic WDW refillable mugs in there, either.
If I want tea at midnight and I'm at AKV or SSR, it's not exactly worth going to the 24-hr refills spots (like Poly or BWV)!:rotfl:
I also told her that we received no dish liquid. She said that's because of the new "disposables in Studios" policy. I asked how she'd like me to properly clean their coffee maker without soap. Her reply was "hmmmm."
:laughing:

These are obviously not critical issues. I presume that they'd never do this with Villas that have full kitchens.

We're adding a mug & small dish liquid to our "DVC-to-go" list ... ;)

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas
Accommodations
Catch the spirit of the savanna and enjoy the comforts of home at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas at either Jambo House or Kidani Village.

Studio
Click here for room layout

Sleeps up to four
Queen-size bed, plus full-size sofa bed
Flat-panel TV and DVD player
Wet bar, small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker
Private balcony
316-365 sq. ft. in Jambo House
366 sq. ft. in Kidani Village

One-Bedroom Vacation Home

Value Rooms sleep up to four, all others sleep up to five
Master bedroom suite with king-size bed
Master bathroom with whirlpool tub (additional bathroom in living area of One-Bedrooms in Kidani Village only)
Queen-size sofa bed in living room
Sleeper chair in living room (except in Value Accommodations)
Flat-panel TV and DVD player in living room, and flat-panel TV in master bedroom
Full kitchen includes: coffee maker, dinnerware, glassware, flatware, pots and pans, microwave, toaster, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and more
Laundry area contains stacked washer and dryer
Private balcony
629-710 sq. ft. in Jambo House
807 sq. ft. in Kidani Village

Dedicated Two-Bedroom Vacation Home

Sleeps up to nine
Three bathrooms: one is a Master bathroom with whirlpool tub
Second bedroom with two queen-size beds
Sleeper chair in living room
Flat-panel TV and DVD player in living room, and flat-panel TV in master bedroom and the second bedroom
Full kitchen includes: coffee maker, dinnerware, glassware, flatware, pots and pans, microwave, toaster, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and more
Private balcony
1,173 sq. ft. in Kidani Village

Two-Bedroom Lockoff Vacation Home

Defined as a Studio plus One-Bedroom
Value Rooms sleep up to eight, all others sleep up to nine
Two bathrooms: one is a Master bathroom with whirlpool tub (Vacation Homes located in Kidani Village will have a third bathroom)
Second bedroom with one queen-size bed plus one full-size sofa bed
Sleeper chair in living room (except in Value Accommodations)
Flat-panel TV and DVD player in living room, and flat-panel TV in master bedroom and the second bedroom
Private balcony
945-1075 sq. ft. in Jambo House
1,173 sq. ft. in Kidani Village

Grand Villa Vacation Home

Sleeps up to twelve
Grand Villa Vacation Homes located in Jambo House will be one-level while Grand Villas located in Kidani Village will be two-level.
Four bathrooms: one is a Master bathroom with whirlpool tub
Two additional bedrooms, each with two queen-size beds
Flat-panel TV and DVD player in living room, and flat-panel TV in master bedroom and both additional bedrooms
Dining room with dining table and chairs
Private balcony
Vacation Homes located in Kidani Village will have an additional sitting area upstairs with a queen-size sleeper sofa
2,349 sq. ft. in Jambo House
2,201 sq. ft. in Kidani Village

Jambo House Concierge Accommodations
Studio, One-Bedroom, and Two-Bedroom Lockoff

Kilimanjaro Club Concierge accommodations include the following Kilimanjaro Club Level Services:

Advanced Walt Disney World itinerary planning service
Personalized front desk and Concierge service
Daily housekeeping service and evening turndown with chocolates
Secured key access to 6th floor and Club Level lounge
Weekday newspaper delivery of USA Today
Assistance with special events planning and shopping
Club Level Lounge refreshments

This is what is in the room >

OMG people let it go ..

It's not the hot coffee or drinking wine from a cup that bugs me, it's the fact that we're supposed to be in a deluxe accommodation (as someone previously stated) and we're not getting simple amenities anymore.

I mean, really, how much is this saving them? Glass and real coffee cups vs. paper that gets thrown away? I don't have a problem with plastic silverware. I just want real glasses, cups and wine glasses. I also want that little bottle of dishsoap. I stay in a studio when I'm alone. I'm not getting a one bedroom for one person, just so I can have real glasses. This is ridiculous. :headache:

This just doesn't seem right to me either. It is very disapointing. Lots of changes in 15 years, some not so good. I can see why some maybe had to go, the peach towels, etc., but the mugs and glasses in a deluxe resort? Why not put stringent rules in place for the cleaning of the glassware with housekeeping, and make sure they are followed, if that was the driving factor behind this? I don't know about most, but we always washed the the glasses and mugs the first time before we used them anyway.

Nothing like being in your home away from home, sitting on your balcony, overlooking the beauty of your resort and enjoying a nice hot cup of coffee in a cheap disposable cup in the morning. That will really make me feel 'at home.' Also I think it is not right that they aren't informing the members prior to doing this.

Even this guy gets a mug :surfweb:

:confused3

Not happy about this either. Geesh, first United cuts me back to one suitcase, now I have to pack coffee mugs!! come on, this is too much.

What are they doing with the glassware? Isn't all this glass a DVC member asset purchaced by our dues? Where is this asset going? If it goes to another resort (Deluxe) will they pay DVC for the stock?

Can someone post a link to ms complaint department.

this is ridiculous....they give glasses in the moderates.....did they change that also:confused3
Kerri

Here's a copy of the Email I received from MS this morning:
Thank you for contacting Member Services. The Coffee Cups in the Studios have always been Styrofoam Cups. The Drinking Glasses were made of glass and are being replaced with disposable drinking glasses.

Unfortunately, it appears that the rumors are true. Although I never knew that the coffee cups "have always been styrofoam". They certainly looked ceramic to me.

Perhaps it's time to get the word out, and start flooding member services with complaints about this? Why are the members the last to know this? How about asking the members what they want? They had done this in years past when they took away shampoo and soap being delivered on demand every day. What I want to know is why they are doing this? Is it cost based, why not let the members decide if they are willing to pay 3.00 more a year to keep the glassware?

Here's a copy of the Email I received from MS this morning:
Thank you for contacting Member Services. The Coffee Cups in the Studios have always been Styrofoam Cups. The Drinking Glasses were made of glass and are being replaced with disposable drinking glasses.

Unfortunately, it appears that the rumors are true. Although I never knew that the coffee cups "have always been styrofoam". They certainly looked ceramic to me.

It's interesting that we got different responses. It is not true that the coffee cups in studios have always been styrofoam cups.
Bobbi:goodvibes

The e-mail I sent has been answered, but the issued hasn't been addressed yet.

Here's the reply:

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club Member Services. We appreciate your message. Based on the nature of your comments, I have forwarded your message to our Member Satisfaction team for further review. You may expect to be contacted again with regard to your message within 5 business days. Thank you again for writing. Sincerely, Larry Member Services | Online CommunicationsDisney Vacation Club

Bobbi:mad:

I guess "Larry"'s pretty busy this morning! He Emailed me with the response (see my post) around 8:30 this morning (Woops! That's 9:30 Eastern time). I wonder how many Emails Larry's gotten about the paper and styrofoam. I hope he DOES have alot of Emails about them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter