DVC studios - fewer amenities

sznk

wearing my ears
Just got back from AKV SV Studio stay (loved it.)
Info from a Manager is that there is a new "disposables in Studios" policy in effect across property: Studios will no longer have glasses or mugs - only disposable plates and cups. Since you're never supposed to use styrofoam in a microwave, you have to heat water for tea in the coffee maker, or bring your own microwavable mug. I wouldn't put the plastic WDW refillable mugs in there, either.
If I want tea at midnight and I'm at AKV or SSR, it's not exactly worth going to the 24-hr refills spots (like Poly or BWV)!:rotfl:
I also told her that we received no dish liquid. She said that's because of the new "disposables in Studios" policy. I asked how she'd like me to properly clean their coffee maker without soap. Her reply was "hmmmm."
:laughing:

These are obviously not critical issues. I presume that they'd never do this with Villas that have full kitchens.

We're adding a mug & small dish liquid to our "DVC-to-go" list ... ;)

What? We were at SSR and BWV last month and had glasses and mugs. Are you sure about this?
Anyone else found this to be true?

I asked how she'd like me to properly clean their coffee maker without soap. Her reply was "hmmmm."

To properly clean it, you don't use soap. Never wash the coffee pot with soap. This will bind with the oils deposited by the coffee and will leave a taste behind. Do not wash in the dishwasher for the same reason. Use vinegar and water to run through the brewing cycle and you can clean the pot with ice, salt & lemon juice (or vinegar or water).

I will be very disappointed if this turns out to be across the board! I like glasses for cold drinks and mugs for coffee/tea.

Bobbi

If this is indeed true, I hope they dump that policy pronto. I hate foam cups. I'll ask housekeeping for mugs, and if they say no, I'll buy some cheapos at Publix.

definitely was in the value studio at AKV.

although was still given dish washing soap.

while at BWV it was the same mugs and glasses as usually.

also got told by a housekeeping manager that the bath soap is one of those bottles -

I certainly hope this isn't true cause I love my hot tea at night. I'm packing things for our Owner's Locker (using for 1st time) for my trip in just a few days ... maybe I should add a couple mugs and plastic glasses and a small liquid dish soap to what I'm already bringing since the first part of stay is in a studio. :goodvibes

I certainly hope this manager was mistaken. With corporate America's emphasis on "green" it doesn't seem this is the time to replace real dishes with disposable.

at Boardwalk now and in studiio and started with 3 glass mugs and 3 glasses, on trash and towel day housekeeping took them and I did not realize til the next morning.... when I saw housekeeping in the hall next afternoon I asked for mugs back...she tried to give me foam cups and I said no glass mugs, just thought it was a language thing....didn't realize the glasses were gone til that night , just used the foam figuring she would return them when she did full clean today but when we just returned..no glasses. So maybe this is then new policy. I don't like that at all. They better nix that idea...

The manager told me on Wednesday (March 5th) that it started this week. :headache:

I certainly hope this manager was mistaken. With corporate America's emphasis on "green" it doesn't seem this is the time to replace real dishes with disposable.

No kidding. Disney asks us to reuse our towels to not waste water and save energy and yet they now want us to throw away plastic glasses and foam cups! Won't be good enough and I'll be loudly complaining if this is what we find tomorrow!

To properly clean it, you don't use soap. Never wash the coffee pot with soap. This will bind with the oils deposited by the coffee and will leave a taste behind. Do not wash in the dishwasher for the same reason. Use vinegar and water to run through the brewing cycle and you can clean the pot with ice, salt & lemon juice (or vinegar or water).
Yes, I'll be sure to bother to pack (or buy) vinegar and lemon juice to clean their pot when they won't even give me a mug for tea! :rotfl:

what are owners lockers:confused3

http://www.ownerslocker.com/

The most wonderful company! I'm one of the beta testers for Owners Locker. We LOVE our locker. We store many things in our locker between Disney trips rather than haul them back and forth or rebuy them every time we visit Disney. One of the things in our locker is a Disney coffee mug for my husband. Sounds like that's a good thing based on the topic of this thread!

No kidding. Disney asks us to reuse our towels to not waste water and save energy and yet they now want us to throw away plastic glasses and foam cups! Won't be good enough and I'll be loudly complaining if this is what we find tomorrow!
We now don't even get plastic glasses - the only drinking vessels are 4 foam cups.
Another thought - shouldn't they have told us of this change in policy? :rolleyes:

I was in a value studio at AKV in February and there were mugs. I kept my toothbrush in one.

There was dish liquid too, I had to use it to wash out the microwave.

I have sent an e-mail to MS. We use the dishsoap to wash the plastic utensils and the coffee pot and the mugs. Yes, we had begun bringing mugs from home because the ones at the villas just seem to small for me. I do not use disposable plastic. If I remember I bring them from home, and I wash them.

Bobbi:mad:

I don't think its fair to discriminate against those who stay in a studio over a bigger unit. I want real glasses. I paid for DVC and should have equal stuff in the units I choose to stay in.
green shmeen...its so they don't have to pay someone to wash them. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter