Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what they did to me too. I had the latch on (so they were unable to get in on their own) and they just knocked and knocked and knocked until I got up and answered. I had the same thought as you - but they are persistent!
That is so obnoxious. If they did that to me I literally wouldn't answer the door ever. I'd turn up the TV and camp out. Clearly if the latch is on and the sign is out you don't want to be disturbed.

It's understandable that some people may not want to be disturbed, but once they knock, at that point you're already disturbed. Rather than prolong the period of disturbance by refusing to answer the door, maybe just let them in, they do their thing and are gone in a minute or so and peace and quiet is restored until the following day.

It's understandable that some people may not want to be disturbed, but once they knock, at that point you're already disturbed. Rather than prolong the period of disturbance by refusing to answer the door, maybe just let them in, they do their thing and are gone in a minute or so and peace and quiet is restored until the following day.
Try restoring piece and quite after the knocking wakes up your baby/toddler

That is so obnoxious. If they did that to me I literally wouldn't answer the door ever. I'd turn up the TV and camp out. Clearly if the latch is on and the sign is out you don't want to be disturbed.

Then they could come to your door with the master key that would open the latch. And then what? It is now part of the Terms and Conditions that you agree to letting them enter your room when they deem it necessary. Guessing if you tell them No too much they can tell you to pack up and leave as you are not honoring the terms you agreed to by making your reservation.

I'm really hoping they figure out how to do these "security" checks by May. Making a note now to let the front desk know that we would prefer ALL services in the morning. If by some miracle I can get my preschoolers to nap, I will not be a happy mom if they get woken up for a check. Also I'll be hesitant to open the door in the first place since it's just me and the kids going.

So this morning I had the opportunity to speak to guest services about my email.

Firstly, to everyone else on here who has also recently stayed and had an issue with a staff member either knocking or entering the room with the room occupied sign up - Disney want to hear from you. I mentioned I had seen reports from others on here and on trip advisor and they requested that I ask those that had a similar experience to email them directly and provide the details. They are working on refining the policy (they know they have issues), but to do so they need to hear from people about what is and is not working.

Secondly, he told me that they are moving to a system where if house keeping or security come to your room and the room occupied sign is on the door, they are to have the resort send you a text message. The text message then requests you let them know what time would work for you. Cast members have been instructed NOT to knock if the sign is up. To be honest, I think the text message policy is probably the least intrusive option and therefore best way forward (a text message is easier to sleep through than a ringing phone!). He also confirmed what others have mentioned here, which is you can specify a window with the front desk for your room to be entered if you prefer it to happen at a specific time of time.

So this morning I had the opportunity to speak to guest services about my email.

Firstly, to everyone else on here who has also recently stayed and had an issue with a staff member either knocking or entering the room with the room occupied sign up - Disney want to hear from you. I mentioned I had seen reports from others on here and on trip advisor and they requested that I ask those that had a similar experience to email them directly and provide the details. They are working on refining the policy (they know they have issues), but to do so they need to hear from people about what is and is not working.

Secondly, he told me that they are moving to a system where if house keeping or security come to your room and the room occupied sign is on the door, they are to have the resort send you a text message. The text message then requests you let them know what time would work for you. Cast members have been instructed NOT to knock if the sign is up. To be honest, I think the text message policy is probably the least intrusive option and therefore best way forward (a text message is easier to sleep through than a ringing phone!). He also confirmed what others have mentioned here, which is you can specify a window with the front desk for your room to be entered if you prefer it to happen at a specific time of time.
Was evening hours after say 5:00 p.m. an example of a time window discussed? I have read posts that suggest the options are only early morning into the early afternoon.

The text message then requests you let them know what time would work for you.
Which, as mentioned numerous times, defeats the whole purpose of random security checks. Doesn't anyone at Disney recognize the lunacy of all this? It's mind boggling to me that any lawyer would give them ANY credit if something happens with this system. Ridiculous! Life sometimes sucks...but we can't defend against every bad thing out there. It's absolutely security theatre.

We were about to leave the room last week when we heard a knock at the door. A lady from housekeeping said she was just picking trash but we were still getting ready. She said oh no worries I will just get the trash and leave. She walked in and started taking the trash. I was still at the door shocked. The next day I got a call when we were in the park from the head of housekeeping. He asked if it was ok to enter and take the trash out since i had the sign on the door. (I had forgotten to take it down)

Checking in to vgf on Saturday night...I have stays that were booked at 11 months so I just have to evaluate it for my self and report back.

I will be using a security camera in the room when we are gone so it will be interesting to see if they do additional Snooping when your out or not.

Hopefully my daughter is able to get her naps in, I will try and get on housekeeping's good side.
I get that, and will be interested in what you see, but my question would be do you really think there wasn’t additional snooping going on before (not security related)!

Maybe this is less security and more about liability. Whether its completely random or made more convenient for the guest, at least Disney can say that they checked and have a program in place to check. Even after the Vegas shooting, which supposedly caused this reaction from Disney, people sued the Vegas hotel!

As sad as the Vegas incident was, how in the world could it be the hotel's fault? It had never been the policy of any hotel to screen the luggage of guests nor had anyone ever ambushed people from a hotel window before. So I guess now that it has happened, Disney is at least able to say that not only do they reserve the right to enter guest rooms at any time, but that they do check while balancing the convenience of the guests. I think this is more of a cover their own butt thing. But if a housekeeper does find a weapon or something suspicious, they're now heroes.

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences with this new policy. I plan on telling the front desk at check-in a time to schedule my check. I'm traveling solo, but I have no qualms about answering my door before 9am looking like this... (without the cigarette though).

latest

I understand that these checks are now happening and sounds like lots of things still need to be ironed out.

I will say my biggest challenge is with the early mornings. I travel with my 8yo who has always been instructed at home and on vacation not to open the door. If I am in the shower at ‘normal’ morning prep time, I don’t want her to be frightened by someone trying to enter our latched door.

Not sure if it will work but I will be attempting to request these checks be done after 10am and will try to make a quick magnetic sign to put in the door too. We leave for Disney tomorrow so not a lot of time but I’ll try. Will report back my findings.

Ps I like the idea of the text but the unfortunate part about that is Disney will only text US phones and many of us are international guests.

Then they could come to your door with the master key that would open the latch. And then what? It is now part of the Terms and Conditions that you agree to letting them enter your room when they deem it necessary. Guessing if you tell them No too much they can tell you to pack up and leave as you are not honoring the terms you agreed to by making your reservation.
I'd say I didn't hear them I was sleeping. I don't support this at all. It has nothing to do with keeping guests safe, it's about covering their own butts if something does happen. I'll get a little pleasure knowing I annoyed them and inconvenienced them to have to do all that.

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences with this new policy. I plan on telling the front desk at check-in a time to schedule my check. I'm traveling solo, but I have no qualms about answering my door before 9am looking like this... (without the cigarette though).

latest
Just to let you know, the Front Desk wouldn't take that information.

I had to contact housekeeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter