Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for folks to just make their own magnetic signs

Do not knock before 19 am for any reason!

Sleeping, do not knock for any reason

Better than a sticky note
Do you think that would work, or do they have certain rules to follow? Maybe not the 19am!

Last edited:
All of this still makes me think that there was some sort of specific threat or incident that prompted all of this. As a police officer, I've always been so curios about Disney Security. Heck, I'd love to work for them. They must have technology behind the scenes that is beyond belief. I assume that they must have active shooter and bomb threat drills with the local police and fire departments.

Most people are right here though, if some wants to do some damage there, they will do it. No sign will stop it, nor would most random inspections. If you drive a rental car there, which many people do, you could bring anything on the property. That being said, Disney is spot on with the security increase at the TTC and before you get on the monorails and such. Seeing people bottle necked in years past waiting in that gap before the Magic Kingdom entrance could have been a recipe for disaster.

I do wish Disney was a bit more friendly to off duty police....but then again I usually like to have a few drinks when I'm there so carrying a gun wouldn't work too well with that. It's 2018 and Disney is trying to stay ahead of the curve in keeping the property incident free and even I can understand that.

OK...now the sign issue is really in my head. If Disney really wanted to clearly show characters sleeping, they've got a lot to choose from:

Feeling Sleepy (With a picture of Sleepy from Snow White):
View attachment 297392

Something with Sleeping Beauty:

View attachment 297393

Princess Anna fast asleep with the drool running down her face:

View attachment 297395

Instead, they used "Off to Neverland" which implies sleeping...but shows a picture of 5 characters, WIDE awake, and soaring through the air...off to adventure.
Great ideas, it makes me sleepy now!

Sorry to be a nit picker, but the doors at some, if not all, of the Disney World deluxe resort are wood. Magnets will not stick. Maybe it depends on whether the door opens to an interior as opposed to exterior doorway, I'm not sure.
The doors at Saratoga are metal. So the magnets work there. I know this for sure. I am here now, and I have been using my sign.
That’s too early for knocking! About what time do you normally take the sign down in the morning?
We take it down when we head out, normally, around 9:30.

I stopped by the desk on our way out today, but they told me to call housekeeping. But of course this was our night to be out late. So, I didn't get a chance to call. I will put out my "Napping" sign to see if that helps. And I will call before we leave for the parks tomorrow.

The front desk did tell me that I can schedule my visit. Which of course, totally negates the security aspect of the visit.

Just a little update on the incident that happened to me a few weeks back. I wrote to Disney about it, and the need for them to put a bit more thought into how they implement this new policy. They’ve finally gotten back to me wanting to discuss over the phone in detail (but they’ve taken two weeks to pick up the email, and I left the US on Sunday, so of course my number isn’t working. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to talk to them though). I should also note that this was resolved at the hotel itself with the manager (and I was provided compensation for the incident), but my interest in talking to Disney is to have the process improved for others and my own future visits.

I just had a quick scan through the comments on this post. I noticed someone mentioned the security checks are done between 9am and 6pm. At WL the Hotel Manager told me for that resort it is 11am to 4pm. I suspect the short time frame to get it all done may be part of the problem as to why they won’t just come back later if the sign is up.

I should also say, my trip to Disney was part of a five week stay in the US. I was in hotels in five states of varying brands (including a hotel in Las Vegas, which is being cited as one of the reasons for the policy). In every other hotel my do not disturb sign was honoured, and in both Vegas and New York I had the sign up for far longer than I did on any one day at Disney - it was never an issue. Some of these hotels were brands that Disney has cited as following in the footsteps of in implementing the policy (but they are clearing implementing it in a more guest friendly manner).

Last edited:
Magnetic? A lot of the hotels have wooden doors. Magnets won't stick.

Pretty sure all exteriors doors must be metal ... so values, moderates, some DVC

... and to me, the exterior entry rooms are the ones most likely to have potential issues.

You are also conveniently forgetting how different air travel was prior to 9/11.

I remember very well.

I remember being stopped because I had a large amount of metal in a carryon back almost 18 months to do the day of 911. My mom had died and I took all of her jewelry (mainly costume). I had 4 stacked wooden things of jewelry. The agent stopped me and wanted to see in my bag (just like now). And when I said that I had *inherited* my mom's jewelry, she (just like today) didn't listen to me and *congratulated* me.

Nothing they do with us now would have stopped 9-11. We all went through metal detectors and we all had our bags go through xray machines. I can bring long knitting needles onto the plane with me now like then. I can bring all sorts of things that I could do nefarious things with. Have you ever played around with the "can I bring" section on the TSA app?

Oh and the one thing that DID change was that we could have friends and family go to the gate. Not sure how changing that made anything safer...

It doesn't have to do with the "boogie man". We take steps every day to make sure something bad doesn't happen, even when the odds of it are low.
We wear seat belts and helmets. Odds are low of getting in a crash, but most of us take the steps to mitigate what may happen anyway. We wear knee pads when we skate. There is gear for skiing. They have tornado drills at school, even though the odds of that exact school getting hit are low.

There is taking steps to protect and there is burying your head in the sand banking that something bad won't happen. If you prefer the later, have at it. I work someplace that is considered a target and have been through Active Threat Training. I'm glad places take steps to do what they can to protect us, even realizing nothing is perfect. It is still better than doing nothing and keeping your fingers crossed.
No this is the APPEARANCE of taking steps...that’s the problem

No this is the APPEARANCE of taking steps...that’s the problem
Hello LSUmiss, we've met before. I believe I have to agree with maxisemom. I like to do what I can to be safe. It certainly doesn't hurt at least in my opinion. I have no problem with a bit of assistance to stay safe. We know Disney is a target, that's been in the news before. I choose to stay there and I have no problem with them trying to keep me safe even it is just a "show". I hope the show works.

So they just stay there outside the door, knocking incessantly when told no, they can't come in? I'd think that would hurt after a while!

This is what they did to me too. I had the latch on (so they were unable to get in on their own) and they just knocked and knocked and knocked until I got up and answered. I had the same thought as you - but they are persistent!

Hello LSUmiss, we've met before. I believe I have to agree with maxisemom. I like to do what I can to be safe. It certainly doesn't hurt at least in my opinion. I have no problem with a bit of assistance to stay safe. We know Disney is a target, that's been in the news before. I choose to stay there and I have no problem with them trying to keep me safe even it is just a "show". I hope the show works.
Can agree to disagree. To me it’s like putting on a seatbelt that doesn’t actually buckle. Looks like it might work & may even make your feel better, but if you get in a wreck, it will be useless.

Can agree to disagree. To me it’s like putting on a seatbelt that doesn’t actually buckle. Looks like it might work & may even make your feel better, but if you get in a wreck, it will be useless.
I understand, it may or may not but my trip won't be ruined unless there is an accident. I'm a half full kind of girl.

Checking in to vgf on Saturday night...I have stays that were booked at 11 months so I just have to evaluate it for my self and report back.

I will be using a security camera in the room when we are gone so it will be interesting to see if they do additional Snooping when your out or not.

Hopefully my daughter is able to get her naps in, I will try and get on housekeeping's good side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter