Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these room checks prevent or catch anyone?

Under the current room check system: Any and all illicit items are kept in luggage until after the room is serviced / checked. Also any items could be left in a vehicle in the parking lot until after the days "check".
*Which is what the Vegas murderer did BTW, kept it all in luggage until that day.

Under a future scenario where a room AND the luggage are all inspected: potential bag guy leaves all illicit items in vehicle in parking lot or simply launches an attack on the day of check in.

Under a future fix for aforementioned future fix: Disney inspects all room contents AND luggage AND all vehicles entering Disney property: Disney security finds guns and ammo in a guests car and says "are you leaving those in the car or checking them at the front desk?" Guest replies either "Leaving them in the car" or "checking in at the front desk" and either way the CM says "Ok thanks, have a magical day!"
*Disney and 99.999% of other companies and businesses in Florida are prohibited by law from preventing a lawful gun owner from having firearms in their vehicle. There are similar laws in most other states also.

So, specifically, how does this new intrusive policy of harassing guests who have shown no actual signs of nefarious actions occurring in their rooms do anything to improve security or prevent any sort of actual attack?

It is a deterrent. Plain and simple.
So you admit it is nothing more than a deterrent, it won't actually stop or prevent anything. I'd submit that if death penalty for a murder, let alone a mass murder spree, isn't enough to deter a madman then risking being kicked out of your room and banned from Disney probably isn't going to be that much of additional deterrent. Doubly so when you consider the plan for pretty much every mass murderer in US history was to either die in a hail of gunfire from responding police or to commit suicide before they were caught, I don't think the risk of losing the remaining days on your theme park tickets is much of a deterrent.

In any case, if we are counting on deterrence why hasn't WDW simply declared itself a Mass Murder free zone? Surely signs would be more effective than a policy most people probably aren't even aware of yet.

Attachments

• Mss murder free zone.jpg
    Mss murder free zone.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4
There is being free and there is disregarding basic safety and being reckless. To me this is no different that the security check I go thu to get into concerts, or to get on an airplane. 9/11 changed things permanently. So has the Vegas shootings.
I agree with you but not too loudly. some people here have very strong opinions and will let you know, very loudly.

Last edited:
I think people are getting distracted by the one post that was deleted for violating the rules and have forgotten or are ignoring the rest of the on site reports by long time Dis members. If that one report was false, and we don't know for sure, it doesn't invalidate all the other legitimate ones.

I for one don't believe for a second that other posters have been posting here for years with 1,000's of posts and waiting for this exact moment to make up a story about their stay. That's really conspiratorial.
Exactly.

So, for today, housekeeping knocked on the door. I was not dressed, and told her so. She seemed very confused, but it could have been that she didn't understand what I was saying as English wasn't her first language. She started to say something to me, but I simply closed the door and locked it. If they came back, it was after we had left because we didn't see her again. Our trash was not emptied.

So, for 3 of our 4 mornings, we received a knock on the door so they could empty our trash. Every time we have had the "off to Neverland" sign up. Thankfully, we haven't been off to Neverland. The knocks for two of the three days came before 9. The forth day was our full cleaning, and we didn't see our housekeeper. She must have arrived after we left for the park.

Again, we are at Saratoga Springs, we are DVC owner's but not at this resort.

Exactly.

So, for today, housekeeping knocked on the door. I was not dressed, and told her so. She seemed very confused, but it could have been that she didn't understand what I was saying as English wasn't her first language. She started to say something to me, but I simply closed the door and locked it. If they came back, it was after we had left because we didn't see her again. Our trash was not emptied.

So, for 3 of our 4 mornings, we received a knock on the door so they could empty our trash. Every time we have had the "off to Neverland" sign up. Thankfully, we haven't been off to Neverland. The knocks for two of the three days came before 9. The forth day was our full cleaning, and we didn't see our housekeeper. She must have arrived after we left for the park.

I'm a bit confused. If you have the off to Neverland sign out, doesn't that mean they are welcome to come clean? I thought the occupied sign was suppose to be out while you're there.

I'm a bit confused. If you have the off to Neverland sign out, doesn't that mean they are welcome to come clean? I thought the occupied sign was suppose to be out while you're there.

See, that is where this sign is slightly confusing. "Off to Neverland" is that you are in the room sleeping. It does sound like you are off on an adventure to the parks. There is only one sign, which indicates that you are in your room.
4DD36A14-902A-4855-8031-D62CD599C46B.jpeg

Last edited:

I'm waiting for folks to just make their own magnetic signs

Do not knock before 19 am for any reason!

Sleeping, do not knock for any reason

Better than a sticky note

Magnetic? A lot of the hotels have wooden doors. Magnets won't stick.
Well, at Disney, they are magnetic.

I have one with a picture of Pooh and Piglet sleeping. It says, "Shhh, Please come back later. I am taking a nap." I store it on the inside of the magnetic door when I am not napping. And put it out when I am.

Of course, our housekeeper comes by before 9am. So, so far, it hasn't mattered. I guess I should have shown a picture of a kid streaking, and said,"Sorry, not dressed yet."

I'm going to make my own signs for our Sept trip - I'm thinking I'll do a laminated one where I can dry erase "please come back at ____ ".
I do hope they have all the kinks worked out by then though.

I'm going to make my own signs for our Sept trip - I'm thinking I'll do a laminated one where I can dry erase "please come back at ____ ".
I do hope they have all the kinks worked out by then though.
:thumbsup2

I should have made one that said, don't knock before 9:30 or maybe even 10am.

Heck, we are on vacation. we don't want to have to be up, dressed and gone by 9, every . . . . single . . . . . day.

Today, I plan on stopping by the front desk, to ask for housekeeping to knock later in the morning. We'll see what they say.

Exactly.

Thank you for taking the time to report your experiences! And especially your experience above with not immediately allowing entrance. That seems to be the point that most have been concerned with - what happens if I don't allow the CM in? - so real-life reports on it will be very helpful I think.

I'm waiting for folks to just make their own magnetic signs
Already on it :) I have a small magnetic white board I'm planning to
bring next trip.

Mary Loves Pooh Bear please keep us posted. That was the thing that kept bothering me was the early knocking. We say late in the parks and don't get up early. Never before has housekeeping been this early so many times. We are DVC owners who never get house keeping except when we book on cash and it was annoying.

Well, at Disney, they are magnetic.

I have one with a picture of Pooh and Piglet sleeping. It says, "Shhh, Please come back later. I am taking a nap." I store it on the inside of the magnetic door when I am not napping. And put it out when I am.

Sorry to be a nit picker, but the doors at some, if not all, of the Disney World deluxe resort are wood. Magnets will not stick. Maybe it depends on whether the door opens to an interior as opposed to exterior doorway, I'm not sure.

Exactly.

That’s too early for knocking! About what time do you normally take the sign down in the morning?

See, that is where this sign is slightly confusing. "Off to Neverland" is that you are in the room sleeping. It does sound like you are off on an adventure to the parks. There is only one sign, which indicates that you are in your room.
4DD36A14-902A-4855-8031-D62CD599C46B.jpeg
thanks, I guess I was confused!

First off, I will be less-than-happy if anyone knocks on our door before 9 a.m. We like to close the parks at night and then sleep in, and the last thing I want is a knock waking all of us up.

Secondly, I think that the signs are a little misleading. To me, "Off to Neverland" implies that you are sleeping. IMO they should just say "Room Occupied". If they want me to put the sign up every time I am in the room, some of that time will be during the day when we certainly aren't sleeping. I guess I just don't get the "Off to Neverland" part...especially if they are going to knock anyway.

OK...now the sign issue is really in my head. If Disney really wanted to clearly show characters sleeping, they've got a lot to choose from:

Feeling Sleepy (With a picture of Sleepy from Snow White):
Unknown-2.jpeg

Something with Sleeping Beauty:

Unknown-1.jpeg

Princess Anna fast asleep with the drool running down her face:

Unknown.jpeg

Instead, they used "Off to Neverland" which implies sleeping...but shows a picture of 5 characters, WIDE awake, and soaring through the air...off to adventure.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OK...now the sign issue is really in my head. If Disney really wanted to clearly show characters sleeping, they've got a lot to choose from:

Feeling Sleepy (With a picture of Sleepy from Snow White):
View attachment 297392

Something with Sleeping Beauty:

View attachment 297393

Princess Anna fast asleep with the drool running down her face:

View attachment 297395

Instead, they used "Off to Neverland" which implies sleeping...but shows a picture of 5 characters, WIDE awake, and soaring through the air...off to adventure.
i'm afraid I took it that way. It sounded like you'd be off to an adventure at the parks where you'd be out of the room. If I saw the sign I would have figured it out but I got it wrong from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter