Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, big thanks to all who are taking the time to report their experiences, the good, the bad, and the ugly! It's a big help to those of us trying to wrap our minds around it all. I'll be happy to report back after my next visit, too, though I hope it's all ironed out by then and there are no surprises to report. :)

Secondly, anyone want to take a crack at this? For my next stay, I do not want housekeeping. They are more than welcome to enter my room and look around while I'm not there, but I don't want any cleaning done. In the past, I accomplished that by leaving the DND sign out for my entire stay. Not sure how best to handle it now, as I'll take down the RO sign when I'm not there so as to say "c'mon in and do the security check thing." Do we think it best to stop at the front desk (I do online check in, so I don't normally go to the front desk, but I can) and tell them "no housekeeping, please", or better to call housekeeping directly from my room?

I'd say I didn't hear them I was sleeping. I don't support this at all. It has nothing to do with keeping guests safe, it's about covering their own butts if something does happen. I'll get a little pleasure knowing I annoyed them and inconvenienced them to have to do all that.

Taking pleasure at annoying and inconveniencing CM's who have no choice but to do as they are told and likely want no part of this either? really?

First, big thanks to all who are taking the time to report their experiences, the good, the bad, and the ugly! It's a big help to those of us trying to wrap our minds around it all. I'll be happy to report back after my next visit, too, though I hope it's all ironed out by then and there are no surprises to report. :)

Secondly, anyone want to take a crack at this? For my next stay, I do not want housekeeping. They are more than welcome to enter my room and look around while I'm not there, but I don't want any cleaning done. In the past, I accomplished that by leaving the DND sign out for my entire stay. Not sure how best to handle it now, as I'll take down the RO sign when I'm not there so as to say "c'mon in and do the security check thing." Do we think it best to stop at the front desk (I do online check in, so I don't normally go to the front desk, but I can) and tell them "no housekeeping, please", or better to call housekeeping directly from my room?
I would do both. The right hand rarely knows what the left hand is doing at Disney.

Taking pleasure at annoying and inconveniencing CM's who have no choice but to do as they are told and likely want no part of this either? really?
Yes really. If someone has the sign up and the latch on the door and doesn't answer they should not just continue to knock that is super obnoxious. You can open the door slightly with the lock, they could look and see if something bad is occurring. If nothing is going on they should come back later. What if the parents are in the shower and they don't hear the knocking. What if people are having sex? What if it's just a kid who doesn't understand and knows not answer a door for strangers. If someone doesn't come to the door they should come back in an hour. So yes, I would refuse to acknowledge them. This policy is ridiculous and I hope they figure something out because there are plenty of people complaining about how this is being handled.

I don't think this policy will do anything to stop a crime like Las Vegas from happening. If a security person does stumble upon someone about to shoot a bunch of people I'm betting he'll be the first to go. All this is doing is covering Disney's butt from lawsuits

Yes really. If someone has the sign up and the latch on the door and doesn't answer they should not just continue to knock that is super obnoxious. You can open the door slightly with the lock, they could look and see if something bad is occurring. If nothing is going on they should come back later. What if the parents are in the shower and they don't hear the knocking. What if people are having sex? What if it's just a kid who doesn't understand and knows not answer a door for strangers. If someone doesn't come to the door they should come back in an hour. So yes, I would refuse to acknowledge them. This policy is ridiculous and I hope they figure something out because there are plenty of people complaining about how this is being handled.

I don't think this policy will do anything to stop a crime like Las Vegas from happening. If a security person does stumble upon someone about to shoot a bunch of people I'm betting he'll be the first to go. All this is doing is covering Disney's butt from lawsuits
Not to mention CM's DO have a choice, they can do what they are told in the most friendly and least obnoxious way possible OR they can refuse to do that and find a new Job just like anyone else. Maybe if on top of upsetting guests they also had to deal with a larger number of disgruntled CM's / a higher turn over rate they may think about this a bit more.

Not to mention CM's DO have a choice, they can do what they are told in the most friendly and least obnoxious way possible OR they can refuse to do that and find a new Job just like anyone else. Maybe if on top of upsetting guests they also had to deal with a larger number of disgruntled CM's / a higher turn over rate they may think about this a bit more.
You have a choice too. Vote with your wallet and stay elsewhere.

You have a choice too. Vote with your wallet and stay elsewhere.
Yes I do, and as I already stated numerous times after I evaluate this policy for my self by staying through my existing reservations I will make the decision to either put up with it or shift my future stays to Swan/dolphin and the four seasons.

And by the way my reservations are on points, I have one cash reservation for POR, if the experience is poor at VGF and Poly I will cancel that one (since I can do so easily)

I'm also hoping that being Friendly (with good tips) might make for a better experience, of course if that doesn't work I'm more than happy to go the completely opposite direction and be a PIA

Last edited:
We'll be at POFQ in about 5 weeks, so will let everyone know. I plan on telling them at the front desk when we arrive, and also call the useless housekeeping number and telling them as well.
I just don' know how Disney expects housekeeping to do this on their daily cleaning rounds, as I have yet to see daily housekeeping or anything like a routine cleaning schedule. Sometimes we are lucky to get housekeeping once or twice on our week to 10 day visits, with daily calls to housekeeping, I might add. Can't see how they can depends on housekeeping to do this daily, let alone clean????? We will see and report back :)

Guests have a choice too. They can stay elsewhere or they can choose to not be mean and nasty to people who are just doing their job. Locking the door and refusing to answer when it is knocked is maybe a step above a child having a temper tantrum.

To clarify, I would not be thrilled to be startled awake from a nap. Or to be bothered if I was trying to sleep off a headache. But being rude or obnoxious to people doing their job, when you know it can be expected and that they are just doing their job, is not right either.

Guests have a choice too. They can stay elsewhere or they can choose to not be mean and nasty to people who are just doing their job. Locking the door and refusing to answer when it is knocked is maybe a step above a child having a temper tantrum.

To clarify, I would not be thrilled to be startled awake from a nap. Or to be bothered if I was trying to sleep off a headache. But being rude or obnoxious to people doing their job, when you know it can be expected and that they are just doing their job, is not right either.
I won't repeat my self so soon but yes everyone has choices.

Just to let you know, the Front Desk wouldn't take that information.

I had to contact housekeeping.

This specific issue came up in my discussion with the cast member yesterday (as I had agreed a time with housekeeping for access on a particular day and security did not respect it). The person that called to ask me about my experience was clear that I Would have been better off to discuss with the front desk (and not housekeeping directly) as the front desk can coordinate all areas that need access to your room.

I was assigned a room at check in today and it was occupied (I could have walked in on the guest occupants, but instead only walked into a hotel room full of their belonging!). I plan on using my DND sign so that doesn't happen to me!

I was assigned a room at check in today and it was occupied (I could have walked in on the guest occupants, but instead only walked into a hotel room full of their belonging!). I plan on using my DND sign so that doesn't happen to me!
How can this even happen? Do they not have housekeeping go over the rooms before assigning them to new guests?

How can this even happen? Do they not have housekeeping go over the rooms before assigning them to new guests?

It happened to me once at CR and the other people were in the room. I don’t think it’s related to housekeeping, it’s just a typo when entering the room number in the guest record. Really, it’s more of an IT thing, because it shouldn’t allow the same number to be entered twice.

Maybe this is less security and more about liability. Whether its completely random or made more convenient for the guest, at least Disney can say that they checked and have a program in place to check. Even after the Vegas shooting, which supposedly caused this reaction from Disney, people sued the Vegas hotel!

As sad as the Vegas incident was, how in the world could it be the hotel's fault? It had never been the policy of any hotel to screen the luggage of guests nor had anyone ever ambushed people from a hotel window before. So I guess now that it has happened, Disney is at least able to say that not only do they reserve the right to enter guest rooms at any time, but that they do check while balancing the convenience of the guests. I think this is more of a cover their own butt thing. But if a housekeeper does find a weapon or something suspicious, they're now heroes.

It would be interesting, from a purely legal standpoint, to know how that would play out... Would the liability be higher if no one from the hotel stepped foot in the room for days before the incident, or if the room was "inspected" or cleaned daily without noticing anything was amiss? From my understanding of the Vegas situation, the shooter did allow housekeeping to access the room as usual and the hotel was still sued so it really doesn't seem like insisting upon daily checks would be any protection, but I assume Disney isn't upsetting guests to this degree without reasons so I'm guessing somewhere there is a legal mind that says otherwise.

My husband and I had this happen to us one time. I honestly can't remember much of the details like the place or hotel chain I just remember us opening the door with the electronic key and seeing other people's luggage in the room. I can only guess that the front desk accidently keyed in the wrong information could have been those people were ones they had dealt with not too long before us for all we had known.

We also had one time where the front desk gave us the wrong room number and had written it down too on the electronic sleeves they give. They had programmed our key correctly but had written it down wrong. We went to the room where we were told only to have our key not work. The people opened the door wondering what was going on (as someone--my husband and I--were trying to open their room) and thankfully they were understanding lol.

I assume it's usually just an honest mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter