Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me so uncomfortable. we will be at AKL in 2 weeks and the last thing I need is someone walking in on me. I have MS and rest is crucial. If i don't get the right amount, an attack will be triggered and an ER visit is needed. You may think i'm over exaggerating but sleep is almost impossible to begin with. I hope we don't have an issue.
It’s not at AKL, only the monorail resorts for now. So it shouldn’t affect your trip at all

It’s not at AKL, only the monorail resorts for now. So it shouldn’t affect your trip at all
Beginning with the three monorail resorts near the Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort Hotels will no longer provide guests with “Do Not Disturb” signs to put on their doors. The signs will be replaced with “Room Occupied” signs that will notify cast members that guests are in the rooms. However, these guests will be “disturbed” at some point, as it will now be required that a Disney employee enter their hotel room at least once a day to ensure guest safety.

If you choose to forgo housekeeping on a given day, the Disney terms of service state that “the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property.” Disney states that cast members will give reasonable notice prior to entering by knocking and announcing that they will enter.

The popular theory is that this is a response to the incident that happened in Vegas earlier this year. The monorail resorts are quite tall and offer similar vantage points of crowded guest areas, as well as Walt Disney World transportation such as monorails, buses, and watercraft. Disney is not publicly stating why they are making the change though.

Guests at the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary Resorts should find a paper in their rooms today noting the change. These changes are expected to roll out to other Walt Disney World Resort Hotels in the coming weeks.

This makes me so uncomfortable. we will be at AKL in 2 weeks and the last thing I need is someone walking in on me. I have MS and rest is crucial. If i don't get the right amount, an attack will be triggered and an ER visit is needed. You may think i'm over exaggerating but sleep is almost impossible to begin with. I hope we don't have an issue.
I have lupus and have a similar problem. Some days a nap is crucial to my health. I don't nap just because I am tired. I nap to stay healthy.

Maybe if you stuck to the facts, or the facts that we know, your post wouldn't be so easy to label a huge over-reaction. The Do Not Disturb signs have been replaced with Room Occupied. You can still have a sign on your door to alert housekeeping or whoever to the fact that you are in your room. At any rate, even having a Do Not Disturb sign was no guarantee of your room not being entered. Don't kid yourself. Disney always had the power to enter your room. Now they are simply being more upfront about it.

Plus, this is only at the 3 monorail resorts.

I also find it laughable that because of this you won't go to WDW to be spied on. A theme park that is covered front to back with cameras watching your every move.
Being watched while out in public is very different than having your room inspected every single day, while on vacation.

And, you might want to know your facts before you try to correct someone else.

ALL resorts will have the DND signs replaced with Room Occupied. It isn't only the monorail resorts. It includes all rooms, even DVC.

And although Disney always has the right to enter a room when they feel that there is a problem, they are now indicating that they feel every single room needs to be entered every single day. That is a change. It is a big enough change that they sent an email to DVC members announcing it.

I have lupus and have a similar problem. Some days a nap is crucial to my health. I don't nap just because I am tired. I nap to stay healthy.

Being watched while out in public is very different than having your room inspected every single day, while on vacation.

And, you might want to know your facts before you try to correct someone else.

ALL resorts will have the DND signs replaced with Room Occupied. It isn't only the monorail resorts. It includes all rooms, even DVC.

And although Disney always has the right to enter a room when they feel that there is a problem, they are now indicating that they feel every single room needs to be entered every single day. That is a change. It is a big enough change that they sent an email to DVC members announcing it.
:thanks:

According to Disney a Cast Member is going to knock on your door EVERY day and essentially.. (lets not kid ourselves SPY on you)...and there is nothing you can do about it. In the free and brave United States of America you are not allowed your PRIVACY anymore while spending thousands of dollars on your magical vacation! You are not allowed to place a 'Do NOT disturb" sign on your door as you have no doubt done your whole life without issue.
Please let us know your experience when you return. I am sorry for your affliction. It is just one example of dozens that make this policy a slap in the face to our freedom as Americans and it shows that they know people will still come to WDW and spend their $$$ and pack the parks.

If we all boycotted and withheld our $$$ this stupid and ineffective policy would end pronto. But they know most people will roll over like Americans have done since you know when.

I'm done going to WDW after this nonsense. I won't pay to be spied on. WHILE IN THE PRIVACY OF MY HOTEL ROOM.. Nope.
Please let us know how your stay went.

Will do, hoping it doesn't end with an ER visit or having to ask for a manager. I just want to vacation and leave my health issues at home :sad2:

Have we heard for an official Disney site that they are rolling out to all resorts? If so, I've missed it.

I'm willing to see what Disney actually does before I panic and claim they are violating my privacy. Seems more likely the security check will be in the form of housekeeping.

Also, the idea of some nutball in the room next to me stockpiling guns is way more offensive than housekeeping or whoever opening the door to glance in my room.

Last edited:
Folks, this is a Disney trip-planning message board for families, not a newspaper comment section. Let’s try to pull this back into the realm of reality, ok? I’d really like to keep one thread open on this topic.

Folks, this is a Disney trip-planning message board for families, not a newspaper comment section. Let’s try to pull this back into the realm of reality, ok? I’d really like to keep one thread open on this topic.

could you be more specific? even families planning trips have an interest in the subject of the "reality" that they no longer have actual privacy in the form of a "do not disturb sign" as has been the case for the last 46 years. could you please define what parameters you consider pertinent?

Last edited:
could you be more specific? even families planning trips have an interest in the subject of the "reality" that they no longer have actual privacy in the form of a "do not disturb sign" as has been the case for the last 45 years. could you please define what parameters you consider pertinent?

Maybe less hyperbole and more actual facts experience. :thumbsup2

Might be better to start a sticky post similar to the "Experiences at Dog-Friendly Disney Resorts" for resorts doing security checks with certain ground rules. All you will get in this thread are those "for", "against" or "indifferent" - with wild speculations thrown in of what "could" happen from certain corners of the "against" crowd rather than from actual experience. I doubt you'll get someone wildly speculating on the "for" side saying that the person doing the security check could bring breakfast in bed or left gift cards on the dresser, etc.

gotcha
question? do you see any potential to no longer have unintruded privacy in the form of do not disturb and the stated policy that staff will enter every room every day? does that feel like a loss of freedom to you? or no big deal. and if no big deal then where is the line for you if you don't mind me asking...

It’s a huge leap to go from this to Nazi Germany. And anyone who went through that era would be appalled at the correlation. The horrors of that era simply cannot be compared to Disney accessing rooms in their hotels. I’m not happy about the new policy, but people need to be more respectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter