Disney Runners

Tygerlilly

DIS Veteran
So since this weekend is marathon weekend at WDW I was wondering if anyone on here has ever done any of the Disney runs. I'm doing my first one in Sept and am planning a week long trip the same time.

So, any other runners? Did you dress up?

The one in September is just a ten mile night run. This weekend was a half and a full marathon.

That's my goal this year too. I'm surprised there arent more runners on our board.

Check out the official run disney website at rundisney.com. It will list all the upcoming races and most will have all the information listed for them (some of them haven't had the sign-ups opened up yet but check back).
I'm planning on doing the tower of terror ten mile in september. The registration for that starts Feb 14th.

Ive made the 10 mile in September my goal for the year to.

Started truing with a a great iPhone app. Hoping to get the boyfriend to train with me to!

So hot here in Aus training at the moment - was 40 Celsius yesterday during the day so trained at night and it was still and killing me!

Hey mate

My first disney run and actually my first time visit to WDW so not sure where you actually run.

Am using the app called "Get Running" and finding it great. Best I have been training for ages as it gives you a clear target to reach. I used "Ease into 5k" but did not find it as good - a bit clunky and not as clear.

They haven't released too many details about the tot10 yet. Im guessing they will a little closer to Feb 14. I do know that you finish at HS, and that you get to be in the park until 3am. I'm guessing that it will be just as amazing as the other Disney runs. Do a YouTube search for Disney marathon. My goal next year is to do one of the 1/2 marathons.

Hey everyone,

I just got home from Marathon weekend where I finished the 5k, my 10th half, and my first full which combined made my first Goofy. I only have a moment to post this, but there are a few runners on this board, and I'd be happy to talk about my experience after I've unpacked and come off the high that I'm feeling from wearing my Goofy medal all day at the parks yesterday. :)

Christopher

Congrads on your Goofy Christopher77!!

Love to hear more about your experiences doing the run when you get time - especially how the nights works and the logistics of it all.

I'm 13.1 miles less spectacular than Chris:goodvibes I did the 5K, the half and the second portion of the full relay.

I'll be in DL for the Tinkerbell Half at the end of this month. RunDisney and race medals are my drug.

Would love to talk shop with y'all.:thumbsup2

I'm 13.1 miles less spectacular than Chris:goodvibes I did the 5K, the half and the second portion of the full relay.

I'll be in DL for the Tinkerbell Half at the end of this month. RunDisney and race medals are my drug.

Would love to talk shop with y'all.:thumbsup2

Are you kidding? That's spectacular! Good job!

Any tips for us newbies?

Any tips for us newbies?

Don't get discouraged. You'll have totally awesome days. You'll have totally sucky days. You'll have plenty of days where you look out the window and say "F that".

You know what your goal is. It will be far easier to achieve your goal if you train more. I can give you a first hand example of this. I spent the end of November and first portion of December in the ICU. Not only did it land at a horrid time in my training schedule, but it depleted most of my endurance, lung capacity and muscle tone. On my pre-Christmas cruise, I went on the Disney Dream and did the 5K on Castaway Cay and saw just how bad I was. Worse than before I started training for my first event. I had a decision to make. And what my goal truly was.
Choice #1: Throw in the towel and skip the three event I signed up for over Marathon weekend (thereby losing the registration fees) and cheer on other racers--all the while be longing to be on the course.
Choice #2: Still participate mostly as a walker and probably have some pretty horrid finish times.

I went with choice #2. And although my times were significantly and embarrassingly bad, I used the opportunity to smell the proverbial roses. I cheered on my fellow participants more. I took more photos. I listened to what my body was telling me and when I needed to slow it down and when it allowed me to pick up the pace. I am glad I went with choice #2. My goal was to have a good time and bring home the bling. My goal will probably never be to get a personal record time at a runDisney event, there are too many distractions.

I expect my Tinkerbell time to be improved, but I'm not sure by how much, as I only have two weeks and don't want to injure myself.

Oh. And invest in good running shoes. Not from Walmart. Not from Sport's Authority. Not from the store that's name gets filtered out and rhymes with Kicks.

Go to your local running store. Talk to the folks there. They will measure your foot. They may even ask you to run on a treadmill to see your style for running. They will then suggest a type of shoe.

Yes. There will be sticker shock.:scared1::scared1: Will those shoes be magical and make you go faster, probably not noticeably. However, what they will do is a few things, not the least of which is lessen the chance for serious foot/ankle injuries. Chances are they will be more comfortable too.

I've actually been running in the vibram five finger shoes (toe shoes). I love them!

I'm very excited to run in September. I'm also planning to additional races this year: Warrior Dash and the Susan Komen Race for the Cure.

I'm probably going to end up stopping all the time during the ToT. I want it to all sink in and see and do everything, so time isn't too much of a factor. But as it stands now, I can run about 3 miles without stopping. So with several months to go, I think I can improve greatly!

I've actually been running in the vibram five finger shoes (toe shoes). I love them!

I'm very excited to run in September. I'm also planning to additional races this year: Warrior Dash and the Susan Komen Race for the Cure.

I'm probably going to end up stopping all the time during the ToT. I want it to all sink in and see and do everything, so time isn't too much of a factor. But as it stands now, I can run about 3 miles without stopping. So with several months to go, I think I can improve greatly!

I love my Vibrams! DP and my mother (and almost everyone else) think they look like an abomination, but I think they are great.

And with all things Disney, its a hurry up and wait marketing game. The race registration will open up next month, but details won't be available (like the course map) until later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter