Credits unpooled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
huey578 said:
You're a good role model for your kids, bsntnsprts....NOT!

That's a bit rude. Why can't we all act like adults and agree to disagree without taking it down to the level of playground taunting? :confused3

Lisa_Belle said:
I can certainly understand why Disney would want to clarify the rules so that people aren't taking children's credits and using them for a night out at V&A.

HOWEVER, Disney must realize that not every child subsists daily on a diet of mac & cheese and PB&J. If Disney is too stupid to offer children an assortment of foods than I think they deserve to have people take advantage of the system. If they get a clue and start offering pizza and fish people would be more honest. I mean, come on, how difficult would it be to have a fish plate with one or two pieces of fish instead of an adult portion, or a smaller hamburger, or a personal pizza for a child. I think this is the point the OP was trying to make - she wasn't using child credits to purchase a meal for herself but rather to purchase a "real" meal for her own child.

I agree on the lameness of Disneys CS kids menus. I think the reason they don't have other offerings such as a childrens pizza or fish meal is that they don't want adults ordering them. Keep in mind I don't agree with this philosphoy but there is a trend in the fast food business to try to get conumers to eat more so that you can charge them more. The CS meals at Disney are huge. I was suprised at the size of a CS burger meal at Pecos Bills compared to a combo meal at McDonalds. Way bigger and that is after McDonalds has increased the size of the componets of the meals. (BTW did you know that McDonalds led the way in increasing the diameter of straws so that people would drink more soda and want larger fountain drinks?)

Setting aside the dinning plan I don't think they want adults ordering smaller meals. If they had decent kids meals they would run the risk of adults ordering them.

Lisa_Belle said:
I can certainly understand why Disney would want to clarify the rules so that people aren't taking children's credits and using them for a night out at V&A.

HOWEVER, Disney must realize that not every child subsists daily on a diet of mac & cheese and PB&J. If Disney is too stupid to offer children an assortment of foods than I think they deserve to have people take advantage of the system. If they get a clue and start offering pizza and fish people would be more honest. I mean, come on, how difficult would it be to have a fish plate with one or two pieces of fish instead of an adult portion, or a smaller hamburger, or a personal pizza for a child. I think this is the point the OP was trying to make - she wasn't using child credits to purchase a meal for herself but rather to purchase a "real" meal for her own child.

I think we can all agree that there needs to be improvements made to the Children's meals. And possible prior to having the dining plan most bought adult meals for their kids. But the plan says, children must eat from the children's menus when available. So I guess my arguement would be, if a parent buys the plan they had to agree to the restrictions of that plan. If the restrictions don't work for a particular family, then don't get it and let Disney know why.

To me it's kinda like saying I will go and purchase a Ford, but due to the fact that it does not offer me what I want, I will just drive off with the Volvo.

bstnsprts said:
I don't know about you but I'm getting tired. It's not that there is no enforcement. It's the fact that you are still handed a card with the credits pooled. They are sending mix messages by doing that. If it wasn't for these boards I would never have known about a new brochure. I been on DDP twice and never would have read the new brochure when I arrive in September. I still really believe that you will never see the credits seperated, that this is just an half(you know what ) attempt to please people who complained about it. Anyway I guesse my biggest gripe is using the word thiefs, because I strongly fell, and I deal in these situations daily, that even with the brochure changes, the fact that the credits are in reality still pooled, means nothing illegal is being done. Nothing to due with enforcement, just the legality of the credits still showing up as one on DDP cards and being accepted as such for payment.

Curious, you state you feel the brochure change was due to complaints from whom?

As to the credits, time will tell on that one.

Pardon me for seeming naive, but I just don't get why so many people complain about the DDP. I've never used it, and don't plan to since we eat at lots of the 2 TS restaurants and not many CS places, but from what I've read in many threads, those that seem to have the biggest complaints seem to be mainly people who are getting the free DDP package. I would think that people would be grateful that they're receiving something for free, but it seems like it just gives everyone more to complain about. I guess it's just impossible to make people happy these days which is a sad thing. :(

Sammie said:
Curious, you state you feel the brochure change was due to complaints from whom?

As to the credits, time will tell on that one.

I probably shouldn't have just used the word complaint. I think that as time went on a very popular question sent to Disney would have been is it ok to use "childs credits" for adult meals. As to the credits if they are going to change they should have done it and the brochure at the same time.

The fighting about this makes *almost* makes me happy that my 11 year olds are considered adults......

Thats a joke....

I think they should give out bracelets at check-in....you know...like the kind they have at the All-Inclusive resorts? Each resort would have their own color and each adult and child would have something different to distinguish thier age bracket. They could even put a scanner code on it and the servers could scan each bracelet at each meal which would be could then deduct the proper adult or child credit.......

Would stop the pool hopping debates also..

(Should I run and hide now for fear of being flamed?)

I was on the DDP last August and yes, we used pooled credits to pay for adult meals and paid OOP for the kids' meals. At the time it was assumed that kids credits would be used for kids meals and adult credits would be used for adult meals. However, nothing was 100% spelled out, so my DH and I ate at Jikos, paid for my DD and her cousin's $7 PB&J OOP and used their extra credits for our meals.

I think with the new brochure Disney has made it clear what the rules are. Whether I follow those rules (much like my re-fillable mug I will bring back with me to Pop Century) remains to be seen. I have a 2 TS dinner planned for my next trip using kids' credits and I'm not quite sure what I will do about it. At the very least I will acknowledge that what I am doing is not 100% "Disney Legal" and not try rationalize it to myself. Just because Disney lets me get away with it does mean that the FAQ in the brochure in invalidated. Then again, I am usually not a "by the book" and "rules are rules" kind of person. (I can hear the Disney Police yelling "Book her Mickey!" ;)). I think I'll watch and see what happens to others before my trip and go with the flow.

As an aside, I have a similar problem with CS restaurants and kids meals. My 6-year old DD with only eat mac and cheese, PB&J or cheese pizza since she is a vegetarian by choice. I have to either pack a PB&J into the parks (oh, the horror!) or find a meal at a different restaurant than the rest of our 12-person Grand Gathering wants to eat at. So, I can sympathize with those who want to serve their kids something other than chicken strips. I plan on using a child credit for at least one "adult" pizza for my child without a second thought. I'm a bad, bad girl.

Some people will always view whatever they want to do in a positive light, regardless of what a reasonable interpretation of acting with integrity would dictate.

This thread is already over; we've reached Page 6. The people who matter (those who aren't already intent on behaving with integrity, and aren't already intent on behaving without integrity) aren't reading this thread any longer. As long as there are ways to work the system there will be people who feel justified in doing so, and there will be people unsure, looking for a reason to be honest, but willing to do whatever they think the general sentiment is. It is incumbent on people of conscience to keep (politely but firmly) reminding folks what integrity is. Nice chatting with y'all.

Wow... At my favorite pizza place you pay at the counter, if you want a soda you pay for what you want and then you can go over to the other side of the restaurant and take... well I always thought what you paid for, but maybe I am legally able to take what I want? There doesn't appear to be anything stopping me - I could take a 2 litre instead of a can... or maybe just take 2 or 3 bottles. I guess I did pay for the right to go into the case... If they wanted to control what I took when I went in maybe they should have followed me over?

Pedler said:
The better analogy would be going to the movies with kids just past the cut off age for kid priced tickets. Under your methodology it would be OK to lie about the kids ages and purchase them kids price tickets if the theater didn't attempt to verify thier age. In essence you are doing the same thing, purchasing an adult meal with a kids credit. In the movie analogy you are paying a kids price for someone that should clearly be an adult.

As FYI prior to the new brochure I honestly felt people should pool credits and use them anyway they want. And people who did that before the new brochure were, in my view, doing nothing wrong. Now the new brochure explicitly in no uncertain terms says that this is not an acceptable use of credits. Just because they do not have an enforcement mechanism or are not going to arrest someone for this type of behavior doesn't make it OK.

It has become clear that there were some people, such as LewisC and myself among others, that honestly felt that under the DDP before the new brochure came out this was an allowable use. Some of us were strong defenders of using the plan in this manner. Then Disney came out and explicitly defined this use of credits as being not allowed. Folk like LewisC and myself (who did use the plan in the manner by the way) updated our view of how the plan should be used based on the change in rules that Disney made. But it is also clear that there were some people looking for any ratinalization they could to scam some money from Disney. Now that Disney has explicitly changed the brochure to say this isn't allowed the line of thinking is that if they don't put in a strong enforcement mechanism then it is OK to do whatever they want. Under this model then anyone with kids just over the cut off age for admission discounts should feel free to lie about thier kids age to get a discount because Disney doesn't check birth certificates. Using refillable mugs from previous trips where it was explicitly stated that they were for the duration only is OK because Disney doesn't have people monitoring the refill stations or doesn't enforce the policy.

I don't have a problem with scofflaws but at least be honest like the people that lie about thier kids ages for discounts or reuse refillable mugs. At least they admit they are breaking the rules but don't care. Here the rationaliztion is that if Disney doesn't enforce the policy or start punative measures then it is allowed. That just doesn't make any sense and just shows that you know what you are doing is wrong but can't stand to admit it.

Beautifully stated. :thumbsup2 We used the DDP, and did not try to "maximize" by taking a child credit to pay for an adult meal. It was a nice surprise when the CM at CG offered this, and I considered it a little PD from Disney. I really believe that most people use it the way that Disney intended, and take an offer by the CM as an "upgrade" the same way a room can be upgraded....a nice treat but not to be expected. There will always be those who don't feel as though they get their money's worth until the highest possible amount has been used. For us it would simply be too much work and too much stress to be wondering if the CM is going to "catch" us at any given meal.

I guess I'm just confused. The meal plan saves money if your family eats a CS, snack and TS most days of the vacation. I do not understand why "maxing" out the plan is an objective. You easily get what you paid for and often get more food, variety , etc. than you would if you payed OOP for each meal without the plan. Granted I have more meals planned than my TS credits will cover, but it is because I have a split reservation with 5 days on 2 days off 4 days on and 2 days off. I planned the non-participating restaurants for the days off, and an extra TS lunch OOP at LTT. I'm not trying to persuade DD 11 not to order what she wants to save her adult credits to stretch our credits, I'm not telling DS he has to get dessert even if he isn't hungry, I don't plan on eating anything that I do not truely want and still I know I will at least break even. BTW, I have been to WDW may times over and find that portions are relative to food "type" Sure, you get tons of fries with CS, but the entrees are average sized, not huge. Signature dining is all about presentation--you will not walk away hungry, but your food isn't piled high and hanging off the plate--it is a portion for one, the better TS are similiar. Maybe it is what I order, but the portions are not huge--though I have had entree salads that seemed too large to finish, but still wouldn't have been enough left over to feed an additonal person, the same with a pasta dish or two. It wouldn't surprise me that the sharing and unpooled credits will be part of the free dining. I think Disney offers it free to get as many people using it at the same time as they can so they tweek the system. Seems the tweeking of no dessert with breakfast came during free dining last year. By having as many guests on the plan as possible it is easier to train the CM's with it and all be on the same page. I believe the change with snack credits is a result of non-sales in other areas--my parents and sister for example didn't once pay OOP for snacks just stuck to the list, I bought a few things, but by the second half of our trip I used only what was allowed to use on the credits. I think that non-participation/non-included items may have had a significant enough drop in sales to preclude the inclusion of snacks by $$ amount rather than specific item. Of course I may be totally off my rocker, which may not be all that incorrect! :lmao:

Pedler said:
So let me get this straight. If a rule doesn't have an enforcement mechanism then the rule doesn't exist and people should follow it? Since when was an enforcement mechanism neccessary for a rule to exist. QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on this one. For those of you stealing from Disney, do you use these same guideliness to decide which laws of our land you will follow too? How convenient, and what great examples you are to your children. There is no grey here. It is clearly black and white.

I'm surprised at the posters who think they'll have a problem keeping track of adult vs child credits.

Don't most of us eat our meals with the rest of our family? You have a family of 3A (one older child) and 1C. You eat a TS meal and your account is debited 4 credits. Nothing to keep track of. With very few exceptions the only reason to pay out of pocket for a kids meal is to "bank" the credit for an adult meal later. The rules already say every guest dining at a character meal, dinner show and signature restaurant has to have 1 or 2 credits debited from their account.

I understand if during the course of your vacation some adults share meals and your child skips meals you may not know how many "child" meals are left on your account but I don't really think this what people are asking about.
I'll continue to speculate that Disney originally allowed the credits to be pooled to allow handle those cases but never envisioned guests refusing to "waste" a "child credit" on a child meal. I certainly don't think Disney envisioned guests paying out of pocket for all their kids meals so those credits could be used to feed friends and family staying offsite.

Pedler said:
I agree on the lameness of Disneys CS kids menus. I think the reason they don't have other offerings such as a childrens pizza or fish meal is that they don't want adults ordering them. Keep in mind I don't agree with this philosphoy but there is a trend in the fast food business to try to get conumers to eat more so that you can charge them more. The CS meals at Disney are huge. I was suprised at the size of a CS burger meal at Pecos Bills compared to a combo meal at McDonalds. Way bigger and that is after McDonalds has increased the size of the componets of the meals. (BTW did you know that McDonalds led the way in increasing the diameter of straws so that people would drink more soda and want larger fountain drinks?)

Setting aside the dinning plan I don't think they want adults ordering smaller meals. If they had decent kids meals they would run the risk of adults ordering them.

But here's the deal. When I booked my vacation, I didn't know anything about DIS boards and menus on allears.net. Silly and presumptious of me I know, but I did assume my daughter would be able to have more than two choices for her children's meal. Yes, I could pay OOP for her, but she's only 4 and her appetite isn't large enough for an adult meal. MY appetite at age 40 isn't even large enough from the meals I've seen described here. Don't get me wrong, the meal plan is still a good deal for us because we have character meals booked every day. But if Disney is going to force kids to eat off the kids menu, then they need to have choices. Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem with her having a scaled-down meal that would fit into the price range. I also think people who don't have children shouldn't comment on items related to kids.

Lisa_Belle said:
I also think people who don't have children shouldn't comment on items related to kids.
Oh how kind of you. So somebody without kids does not know anything about kids? Were they not a kid before and did they never take kids with them? Just giving birth does not make one an expert. :rotfl:

I hope they don't stop pooling altogether :confused3

we are a party of 5 adults and sometimes we will split up into 2 groups.... because of the way things have been planned one group will use more TS and one group will use more CS... if all pooling stops our ADRs will be ruined!

Lisa_Belle said:
But here's the deal. When I booked my vacation, I didn't know anything about DIS boards and menus on allears.net. Silly and presumptious of me I know, but I did assume my daughter would be able to have more than two choices for her children's meal. Yes, I could pay OOP for her, but she's only 4 and her appetite isn't large enough for an adult meal. MY appetite at age 40 isn't even large enough from the meals I've seen described here. Don't get me wrong, the meal plan is still a good deal for us because we have character meals booked every day. But if Disney is going to force kids to eat off the kids menu, then they need to have choices. Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem with her having a scaled-down meal that would fit into the price range. I also think people who don't have children shouldn't comment on items related to kids.

I understand what you are saying. Most fast food burger places have some type of kids burger meal. Disney must be one of the only places that doesn't have that. You may find that spliting an adult meal with your daughter is the way to go. We did that sometimes with our kids ages 6 & 8 at the time and it was still a lot of food. What is interesting is that some of the TS places have great kids menus. Places like the Concourse Steakhouse has a kids menu that has steak and such on it. Of course there I think they strictly enforce the age limit to order from that menu.

I also think people who don't have children shouldn't comment on items related to kids

I am not sure I agree with this but just so you know I do have kids and am fully aware of the issues regarding the CS places kids menus. My view is that just because I don't like the situation doesn't mean the rules don't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter