Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated?

When there are three or four towel stands and you choose the only one with a line, that's not a hack. That's "open your eyes."
I thought you could only get the bracelets from one location, the one in front of the lazy river entrance. Is that not right?

For me or anyone who is willing to rent points a studio costs about 350$/night with parking. Now when you look around Hawaii, I personally don't see any resort that provides the amenities that Aulani does for anywhere near this price. People have mentioned the Four seasons, Grand Wailea when comparing but these hotels would cost me more than twice what I am paying to stay at Aulani.

I also couldn't agree more with this post:
We don’t go to Hawaii for Aulani we go to Aulani because we have DVC points and we like to go to Hawaii

For me or anyone who is willing to rent points a studio costs about 350$/night with parking. Now when you look around Hawaii, I personally don't see any resort that provides the amenities that Aulani does for anywhere near this price. People have mentioned the Four seasons, Grand Wailea when comparing but these hotels would cost me more than twice what I am paying to stay at Aulani.

I also couldn't agree more with this post:
I pay cash and I still prefer Aulani. The Four Seasons is ABSOLUTELY nicer, but it's also boring as hell. I like vacation to be fun and relaxing, not just one or the other.

Yes I think Alani is overrated and I also think Hawaii is overrated but I am not an American so maybe that is why I think that.
Just curious to know -- have you been to Aulani and/or Hawaii? If so, where have you found to be a better value, i.e., the same (or better) experience for a lower (or similar) cost?

Yes I think it's overrated. We went to Hawaii Jan 18-Feb 2 2020, just before everything shutdown. We visited 3 islands and 3 resorts. Grand Wailea on Maui, Four Seasons on Lana'i, and finished with Aulani. The whole trip was great, but Aulani was not in the running for favorite stop. Part of that is because of the island it is on. We much prefer any other island.

We stayed with our points at Aulani, so price wasn't an issue. We paid cash for the others and I left both those resorts feeling like I had got my monies worth. I will be paying for both again in the future. They were both fabulous in very different ways! I also prefer the actual beach in front of me. The lagoons are awesome if you have small kids, but we don't so I want some waves and clear clear water.

The part that made Aulani good, and was a complete accident, they were filming American Idol and my family thought that was awesome. We were so excited the first time we saw Katy Perry, but then she just became another person because we saw her a lot :) The contestants were great and our daughters hung out with several of them. If it wasn't for American Idol I would have been very annoyed we left either of the previous resorts for Aulani. Have no plans to go back to Oahu.
On our most recent trip to Hawaii (May 2021) we also visited the Four Seasons on Lanai (on Maui we stayed at the Hotel Wailea). I agree that the Lana'i Four Seasons is amazing, in every way. And you pay quite a considerable premium for that... So in terms of "value," for me it is impossible to say that Aulani is overrated. Is Aulani as good as the Lana'i Four Seasons? Perhaps, perhaps not; however, that does not make Aulani "overrated."

You can get the next day’s wristband anytime after either noon or 2:00 p.m. the day prior—I don’t recall which time.

When we visited it was just ahead of Hawaii’s spring break but during our area’s break. I found Aulani relaxing but with a nice vibe. While there were certainly lots of kids, it didn’t have a screaming kids vibe or sound level. It was perfect for us. We had our then 13yo with us, so were hoping for it to be both exciting and chill. It hit both notes.

I’m sure there must have been lines for check-in, water slides, etc., but nothing stands out to me, so it must not have been unreasonable. We never waited at Ulu Cafe. We mostly hit the pool and lagoon in the afternoons after island-touring and never had issues finding chairs.

Although you can make reservations ahead of time for Makahini, AMA AMA (previously) and the cabanas, we found availability day-of for all. The luau is probably a different story. We did make reservations ahead of time for all, but added while there. It’s not like WDW where you have to make reservations the minute they become available.

This was just my experience which I’m sure is different from someone visiting over Christmas or mid-July.

I am back from Aulani and I can chime in that I do NOT think it overrated. This property looks and feels unique to me in a way similar to AKV. The central courtyard / pool is alive and dynamic. Another person mentioned four seasons as being nicer, but more boring. While I have not stayed at the 4 seasons, I suspect this is true. I walked all the Ko Olina lagoons and Aulani stands out in the look and feel. We spent hours on the Waikiki beach area and none of the hotels captured my imagination. Maybe Aulani is overpriced for what it is, but when you have a unique twist on something it is hard to price it out...

I also spent money on the Spa. It was twice as much as I would normally spend for my wife and I. But that was ALSO a unique experience, and the massage itself was probably the best (maybe tied for the best) massage I have had.(And while I don't get them every day, I get a few a year) . After talking about the Spa, the 2 other people in our party were able to make appointments (Thank goodness it was a slow time). All 4 of us thought the same thing. "DAMN that was pricey! - but I don't regret it.".

If I could change one thing about Aulani it would be to get rid of the lagoon. I know it stops erosion and is best for the safety of guests, but I want more waves and more wild ocean water. I would prefer a true ocean facing beach. We actually rented a cottage along the north shore, so we got a few days of that more natural beach setting. It was a perfect compliment to Aulani. Next time we go to the big Island for 5 nights and 3 nights at Aulani. Maybe 4 and 4. It is 2-3 years down the road.

[QUOTE="MBTigger, post: 63724805, member:
If I could change one thing about Aulani it would be to get rid of the lagoon. I know it stops erosion and is best for the safety of guests, but I want more waves and more wild ocean water. I would prefer a true ocean facing beach. We actually rented a cottage along the north shore, so we got a few days of that more natural beach setting. It was a perfect compliment to Aulani. Next time we go to the big Island for 5 nights and 3 nights at Aulani. Maybe 4 and 4. It is 2-3 years down the road.
[/QUOTE]

Yes…and….you can always safely enter the water anytime. You cannot say that about the ‘true ocean’. The last time we were on the big island we couldn’t enter the ocean for a good part of our trip. With all the little kids at Aulani, this is the best way to keep it safe and consistently accessible. We live in Nova Scotia and it’s all ocean. So I know how beautiful it can be - and dangerous too.

I saw that someone from California drowned in Hawaii just recently - it is the leading cause of tourist death in Hawaii.

People also don’t heed the dangers of the different ocean conditions and will result in Disney and others trying to protect tourists who do not have enough sense to stay away. We experience that a lot here in my province….

Inga

People also don’t heed the dangers of the different ocean conditions and will result in Disney and others trying to protect tourists who do not have enough sense to stay away. We experience that a lot here in my province….

Inga

Exactly. I understand why. My personal desires and abilities bow to the needs of others - just dreaming about how it would be better for ME only!.......

just dreaming about how it would be better for ME only!.......
Ya, I get it. You might find the stress of watching people put themselves and their kids in danger not better tho. Watching people put themselves and their family in danger stresses me out :p. It’s like a train wreck you don’t want to see but you can’t help but look.

Lines for breakfast, lines for towels, lines to go to check into the freaking 2 expensive cabanas I bought that they couldn’t even get right, lines to (if you can) get into Olelo, lines for things you should not need to do on vacation. Have you even been to Aulani.

You are describing every single large, busy resort on the planet. Unless you go to a place that has only a couple hundred people, there will be some line for things. There are other people there. Maybe Aulani is just too big of a place for you. It is worth researching to see if there is a place that offers what Aulani does in terms of pools, beachfront, activities, etc that is on a much smaller basis. I have my doubts since those resorts need to make money too. I don't think that I have every been to a resort where I did not have to wait in line for something.

Yes, good point. I've definitely waited a long time for check-in.

I think they recently added online check-in, but you still have to wait in line to clear COVID protocols.

I have gone in June twice, so it was busy both trips. I think the difference is in how people look at things. Yes, I could have focused on the fact that I had to wait a few minutes to get my towels, or the fact that there were 3 families ahead of me ordering their food, but why in the world would I? I am not under some delusion that I am alone on this planet. Some people only see the negative, even though they might not think that they do, and some of us see the positive. That makes a huge difference in a person's take away experience. When I see reviews like that, I just dismiss them.

Ya, I get it. You might find the stress of watching people put themselves and their kids in danger not better tho. Watching people put themselves and their family in danger stresses me out :p. It’s like a train wreck you don’t want to see but you can’t help but look.

The lagoon is actually one of the reasons why we do like Aulani over other hotels on the ocean. I think too many underestimate how dangerous the water can be. I would be like you and stressing every time someone let their kid near the water. Currents are no joke. I think the lagoon is a bonus, not a negative.

You are describing every single large, busy resort on the planet. Unless you go to a place that has only a couple hundred people, there will be some line for things. There are other people there. Maybe Aulani is just too big of a place for you. It is worth researching to see if there is a place that offers what Aulani does in terms of pools, beachfront, activities, etc that is on a much smaller basis. I have my doubts since those resorts need to make money too. I don't think that I have every been to a resort where I did not have to wait in line for something.
It has one sit down restaurant. No beachfront restaurant. No fine dining restaurant. No leis. No childcare. No housekeeping. No room service. Lol yeah, it’s pretty easy to find a resort that has more to offer lol.

It has one sit down restaurant. No beachfront restaurant. No fine dining restaurant. No leis. No childcare. No housekeeping. No room service. Lol yeah, it’s pretty easy to find a resort that has more to offer lol.

You were complaining about lines, but now it is about everything else? All of the other stuff is down from Covid and lack of staffing right now. They are slowly adding things back. None of us have access to their back of house operations to know exactly why some of these are not back. But the great thing is that you know all of this before you go. So don't go and then complain about it after the fact. You act as if everyone wants to have these things. I don't have small kids so I would never use Aunty's so it makes no difference to me. I also hate when housekeeping comes in my room so I just ask to switch out towels every few days. We ate at Ama Ama one time and we prefer to eat at local places anyway. So your negatives, are not everyone's negatives. To me, Aulani is worth it. Going to Hawaii is worth it. I must not have the glamourous lives that some of you live because I am having a hard time thinking that things are not amazing. I see how lucky I am to be able to even afford to go to Hawaii and you see, "I have to wait in line behind other people to get my lunch". We just see things differently.

You were complaining about lines, but now it is about everything else? All of the other stuff is down from Covid and lack of staffing right now. They are slowly adding things back. None of us have access to their back of house operations to know exactly why some of these are not back. But the great thing is that you know all of this before you go. So don't go and then complain about it after the fact. You act as if everyone wants to have these things. I don't have small kids so I would never use Aunty's so it makes no difference to me. I also hate when housekeeping comes in my room so I just ask to switch out towels every few days. We ate at Ama Ama one time and we prefer to eat at local places anyway. So your negatives, are not everyone's negatives. To me, Aulani is worth it. Going to Hawaii is worth it. I must not have the glamourous lives that some of you live because I am having a hard time thinking that things are not amazing. I see how lucky I am to be able to even afford to go to Hawaii and you see, "I have to wait in line behind other people to get my lunch". We just see things differently.
I don’t challenge people who have a great time and report that back. I’m happy for them. Great - different people enjoy different things.

But this bizarre thing on this particular board where you can’t honestly describe what you didn’t enjoy without people being like “actually”….

The rates Aulani charges are luxury rates. They are going to have to define what they want to be - b/c without the things I listed they are no longer competitive in the luxury market IMO.

I don’t challenge people who have a great time and report that back. I’m happy for them. Great - different people enjoy different things.

But this bizarre thing on this particular board where you can’t honestly describe what you didn’t enjoy without people being like “actually”….

The rates Aulani charges are luxury rates. They are going to have to define what they want to be - b/c without the things I listed they are no longer competitive in the luxury market IMO.

I don't think that anyone has issues with legitimate complaints. If the cast member was rude to you, your room is filthy when you check in, the paint is peeling, they keep messing up your food orders, etc. Those are legitimate complaints. Knowing ahead of time what is and is not available, going anyway, and then coming back and complaining is not a legitimate complaint. Complaining that there are other people there and that you have to wait in line sometimes because of other people most definitely is not a legitimate complaint. I don't know why Ama Ama is not open. Maybe they feel that the resort is not full enough to support it or maybe they can't get the cast members or the supplies. Yes, that stinks, but it is not like they have zero food available. It was one of 6 places to get food.

I imagine why Aunty's is not open because of the State mandates on gatherings. The State keeps going back and forth on their numbers. They just went to limiting indoor gatherings to 50%. So if Aunty's can handle 30 kids, now they would only be able to take in 15. And we all know how people are now. If they booked their trip with Aunty's open thinking that they can drop their kids off there and then found out there was not enough room, they would freak out and complain how the "only reason" they are there is so someone can watch their kids. If I was running Aulani, I wouldn't open it either because too many people are unreasonable now. The pools are open, the ocean is right there, the spa is open, there are several places to eat and drink, they still have characters come out, the luau is going, they have crafts available, etc. At this point, people are just looking for something to complain about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter