Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated?

Yes I think it's overrated. We went to Hawaii Jan 18-Feb 2 2020, just before everything shutdown. We visited 3 islands and 3 resorts. Grand Wailea on Maui, Four Seasons on Lana'i, and finished with Aulani. The whole trip was great, but Aulani was not in the running for favorite stop. Part of that is because of the island it is on. We much prefer any other island.

We stayed with our points at Aulani, so price wasn't an issue. We paid cash for the others and I left both those resorts feeling like I had got my monies worth. I will be paying for both again in the future. They were both fabulous in very different ways! I also prefer the actual beach in front of me. The lagoons are awesome if you have small kids, but we don't so I want some waves and clear clear water.

The part that made Aulani good, and was a complete accident, they were filming American Idol and my family thought that was awesome. We were so excited the first time we saw Katy Perry, but then she just became another person because we saw her a lot :) The contestants were great and our daughters hung out with several of them. If it wasn't for American Idol I would have been very annoyed we left either of the previous resorts for Aulani. Have no plans to go back to Oahu.
I could agree with this. Nothing about Aulani is relaxing and peaceful other than super early in the morning or late at night. It’s pretty much a kids zoo during the day. TBH, I’m not sure why adults without kids would choose to vacation at Aulani when there’s so many better options like JW or Four Seasons. Four Seasons Lanai is absolute heaven on earth.

I could agree with this. Nothing about Aulani is relaxing and peaceful other than super early in the morning or late at night. It’s pretty much a kids zoo during the day. TBH, I’m not sure why adults without kids would choose to vacation at Aulani when there’s so many better options like JW or Four Seasons. Four Seasons Lanai is absolute heaven on earth.
I wonder if this varies greatly by the time of year. I've only been to Aulani in the winter, and it was super calm and relaxing. The only spot that got loud was the main part of the big pool when they did a dance party. The lazy river, infinity pool, beach, and even the little kid splash area were plenty quiet to nap or read.

On Oahu we visited the North Shore, did a surf lesson, and walked around Waikiki. We were there for 4 nights. It was our second time visiting and we had done a lot of touristy things the trip before. We have also have no problem eating, drinking, and reading on the beach all day long! It's very relaxing for us. My husband gets annoyed if I over schedule. Vacation is his only down time. It probably isn't fair to compare Aulani to other resorts and Oahu to other islands because in my opinion it is apples and oranges. I like Aulani, but probably won't be back even with our grandkids because I liked the Grand Wailea so much more. No kids come with us to Lana'i :)

Yeah, totally agree. It’s not relaxing. It’s rule oriented like WDW (lines, rules, make early reservations). There was an element of fun (and uniqueness) that offset that for me during our early stays. But I’m not getting on 10 hour flights to go there. My vacation time is worth more than that.

Yeah, totally agree. It’s not relaxing. It’s rule oriented like WDW (lines, rules, make early reservations). There was an element of fun (and uniqueness) that offset that for me during our early stays. But I’m not getting on 10 hour flights to go there. My vacation time is worth more than that.
I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Lines? Where? Maybe the water slide on a busy day?

It really feels like there's some kind of disconnect here that goes beyond just difference of opinion. The way some people describe Aulani is so completely foreign to my experience that it feels like we're talking about two completely different places. I suspect season has something to do with it. I'd love to hear if the people who don't find Aulani to be calm/quiet/relaxing/peaceful have visited only during summer and other school breaks.

Last edited:
I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Lines? Where? Maybe the water slide on a busy day?

It really feels like there's some kind of disconnect here that goes beyond just difference of opinion. The way some people describe Aulani is so completely foreign to my experience that it feels like we're talking about two completely different places. I suspect season has something to do with it. I'd love to hear if the people who don't find Aulani to be calm/quiet/relaxing/peaceful have visited only during summer and other school breaks.
Lines for breakfast, lines for towels, lines to go to check into the freaking 2 expensive cabanas I bought that they couldn’t even get right, lines to (if you can) get into Olelo, lines for things you should not need to do on vacation. Have you even been to Aulani.

There are definitely busier seasons and less busier seasons, like a Tuesday in the middle of September when schools are in session. I’ve been almost year round and admit that I’ve mostly gone during weekends, holidays, and breaks when my kids are out of school.

Lines for breakfast, lines for towels, lines to go to check into the freaking 2 expensive cabanas I bought that they couldn’t even get right, lines to (if you can) get into Olelo, lines for things you should not need to do on vacation. Have you even been to Aulani.
I have literally never waited in a single one of those lines. Ulu has always been empty. Towels have never had a line. Olelo has always been walk-up, even with a large party. I've never booked a Cabana so I can't speak to that, but I've never seen crowds ANYWHERE near what you're describing.

That's what I'm saying. It's not like we're experiencing the same thing and coming away with different opinions. We're having entirely different experiences to begin with.

I have literally never waited in a single one of those lines. Ulu has always been empty. Towels have never had a line. Olelo has always been walk-up, even with a large party. I've never booked a Cabana so I can't speak to that, but I've never seen crowds ANYWHERE near what you're describing.
So when you get towels and wristbands you have never waited in any line?

You have not waited in line to go to the character breakfast - there is actual printed signs saying where to line up.

You must just go at unicorn times. Good for you. Lol

That's what I'm saying. It's not like we're experiencing the same thing and coming away with different opinions. We're having entirely different experiences to begin with.

Oh and when you are waiting to check into your cabana you wait on the rainbow reef line. It’s a great system. Much luxury.

Correct, that's what I'm saying.

Correct. I sit on the bench in that hallway, along the right wall.
You are very lucky. Maybe that is why nobody can say anything representing their true experience if it is negative without you chiming in.

I just told my husband that someone went to Aulani and thought there weren’t many lines. He laughed and said the lines have lines. We’ve been four times. We own DVC there.

You are very lucky. Maybe that is why nobody can say anything representing their true experience if it is negative without you chiming in.

I just told my husband that someone went to Aulani and thought there weren’t many lines. He laughed and said the lines have lines. We’ve been four times. We own DVC there.
I believe you, and you've been more than me so you'd know better than I would. But what I'm saying is that your experience and mine are SO different that there has to be some explanation for it. That's why I posed the question of when you've visited (time of year). It's possible that the difference between busy season and slow season is just extremely dramatic.

Do you not wait on line for the Luau?
I wanted to get in early so I showed up 15 minutes before the posted VIP time. I was first in line. I was let in at the posted time.

The line for checking in at the lobby can get brutal too. Not sure why they don’t do virtual check in like Orlando. Same for Grand Cal. The west coast is way behind in technology

The line for checking in at the lobby can get brutal too. Not sure why they don’t do virtual check in like Orlando. Same for Grand Cal. The west coast is way behind in technology
Yes, good point. I've definitely waited a long time for check-in.

I think they recently added online check-in, but you still have to wait in line to clear COVID protocols.

The Grand Cal is so beautiful. But their check in system was godawful. Valet too. I will give them a pass as it was Christmas (2019) when we went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter