Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated?

I enjoyed our trip last October to Aulani (and am scheduled to go back this April), but I don't think I would ever pay rack rates or have an Aulani-only trip. IMO, it is a great use of DVC points though.

The resort is beautiful and the pools are nice, but the lack of an adult pool is a big negative for us. Additionally, the food quality/variety is lacking and I didn't think the service was anything out of the ordinary (We reserved an ama ama casabella for two days and our attendant forgot to put our lunch order in, delaying our lunch schedule by 2 hours, a one-off incident but still, not great for the price point). Cabana service was better but the food variety issue still stands. I also found the resort stores lacking in selection.

We loved the quiet Ko Olina location (we live in a city so don't want to stay in one on vacation) and didn't find the drive to most major attractions too much of an issue. The grounds are beautiful and the walkability to the boutiques and ABC store was great. On-site car rental was a big plus and we enjoyed having an on-site luau.

That said, I would not have a trip where we *only* stayed at Aulani. There is so much more to see and do on the island, that would feel like a waste to us. Aulani is a lovely and relaxing place that we enjoy using as our home base, but it doesn't offer enough for us to ever justify a resort only vacation there or a stay at full rack rate.

We loved the quiet Ko Olina location (we live in a city so don't want to stay in one on vacation) and didn't find the drive to most major attractions too much of an issue.
It def. has an advantage there. It would at least have shaved off some time in comparison to where we were staying at in Makaha to get to Pearl Harbor area (which took a decent amount due to morning rush hour/school traffic). Normally the drive along the coast on I-93 wasn't too too bad but it could get backed up. I remember it took us like 45-50mins one time to get from Makaha down to Ko Olina..our bad timing with the traffic the main reason for it.

I enjoyed our trip last October to Aulani (and am scheduled to go back this April), but I don't think I would ever pay rack rates or have an Aulani-only trip. IMO, it is a great use of DVC points though.

The resort is beautiful and the pools are nice, but the lack of an adult pool is a big negative for us. Additionally, the food quality/variety is lacking and I didn't think the service was anything out of the ordinary (We reserved an ama ama casabella for two days and our attendant forgot to put our lunch order in, delaying our lunch schedule by 2 hours, a one-off incident but still, not great for the price point). Cabana service was better but the food variety issue still stands. I also found the resort stores lacking in selection.

We loved the quiet Ko Olina location (we live in a city so don't want to stay in one on vacation) and didn't find the drive to most major attractions too much of an issue. The grounds are beautiful and the walkability to the boutiques and ABC store was great. On-site car rental was a big plus and we enjoyed having an on-site luau.

That said, I would not have a trip where we *only* stayed at Aulani. There is so much more to see and do on the island, that would feel like a waste to us. Aulani is a lovely and relaxing place that we enjoy using as our home base, but it doesn't offer enough for us to ever justify a resort only vacation there or a stay at full rack rate.
Agree with pretty much all of this, with a few nuances to add.

I completely agree that I would never take a trip and only stay at the resort, and for me that "solves" what you're describing about the lack of food variety. If I stay of 8 nights, I'll do 1) AMA AMA, 2) Makahiki, 3) Olelo Room, 4) lu'au, and then four nights I'll be eating off-site. Breakfast and lunch are similar. I don't get bored of the food because I don't eat at the same place twice. It's a bummer that you had a service failure in the casabella, I've never reserved one.

I'm almost certain that the "lack of an adult pool" is a temporary measure to promote physical distancing on the pool deck and in the water. I expect that this adults-only space will be back once Aunty's Beach House, i.e. the kids-only space, is back.

Lastly, I don't think much of anyone actually pays rack rate. 20%-30% discounts are available pretty much year-round.

ETA: One thing that's nice about staying with cash is that the valet parking and self-parking are the same price. Yes, it's expensive, but if they cost the same you might as well do valet. Valet parking is a huge upgrade to the general "vibe" of the resort. That self-parking area is depressing, and I recommend that people pay to valet park even if they're staying on points.

Looks like a dump, you should have gone to the Four Seasons instead. Their pool is a nice exciting rectangle shape that invokes the calming serenity of straight lines and 90 degree angles.
Yep Adult infinity pool with full ocean view and adorable swim up bar is hell on earth.
1F1AC8AD-35B5-4245-B638-D90890D7C5BC.jpeg

I'm almost certain that the "lack of an adult pool" is a temporary measure to promote physical distancing on the pool deck and in the water.
A lot of people would disagree with you. The idea that once this is removed it's doubtful to return. I'm not sure either way and I don't think it's a "disney" thing but I can see why removing an adults only would be a permanent decision.

The idea that once this is removed it's doubtful to return.
That logic applies to *cuts*, not operational changes. Nothing was "removed," a rule was changed. The pool is still there. Disney isn't saving any money from doing this. If they legit closed the pool, I'd agree with you.

I think it's totally fair to evaluate pre-COVID Aulani. I also think it's totally fair to evaluate how Aulani has handled COVID. I think it's extremely unfair to evaluate 2020-2022 changes as if they are how things always have been and always will be.

Yep Adult infinity pool with full ocean view and adorable swim up bar is hell on earth.
View attachment 643680
Different strokes, as they say, but I can confidently say that I will never intentionally stay in a place with a "swim-up bar." That's the kind of thing I would have loved 15 years ago when I was a Junior in college.

Last edited:
That logic applies to *cuts*, not operational changes. Nothing was "removed," a rule was changed. The pool is still there. Disney isn't saving any money from doing this. If they legit closed the pool, I'd agree with you.

I think it's totally fair to evaluate pre-COVID Aulani. I also think it's totally fair to evaluate how Aulani has handled COVID. I think it's extremely unfair to evaluate 2020-2022 changes as if they are how things always have been and always will be.
No one was saying the pool itself was gone so I don't know how you got that impression to be honest. The talk was making an adults pool only and removing that adults only aspect. Just as a pool can become an adults only it can have the feature removed and no longer be only adults only. Same to a "quiet" pool where noise is intended to be minimal. That too can go away and the restriction removed just as it can be added. No one said anything about it saving money either. Not all changes are about money spent/money saved.

No one was talking about every change as a result of the pandemic being permanent, it would however be more like "head in the sand" to assume we can go back to pre-covid. Some stuff will remain the way they are be it a place closed, an operational shift, hours, or whatever. That goes for a lot of places. My comment was just to say a lot of people would disagree that for sure the adults only pool option being removed is just temporary. I would also add that even though Hawaii has been stricter than other places physical distancing is largely of the past. Didn't this thread already discuss how busy it was at points? I don't think people were staying anywhere near 6 feet apart. I do think an initial change was made in the vein of physical distancing but I don't have the confidence personally speaking that the adjustment in adults only is due to that any longer rather than some other reason which opened the "could be a permanent adjustment" discussion.

ETA: maybe you interpreted removal to mean physical but I assure you I don't think Disney actually physically removed the pool :p and perhaps it's playing semantics because you said a rule was changed and I said the adults only pool was removed. That's the same thing being spoken about ;) a pool that was adults only is no longer adults only that is what was meant.

No one was saying the pool itself was gone so I don't know how you got that impression to be honest. The talk was making an adults pool only and removing that adults only aspect. Just as a pool can become an adults only it can have the feature removed and no longer be only adults only. Same to a "quiet" pool where noise is intended to be minimal. That too can go away and the restriction removed just as it can be added. That's operational 101. No one said anything about it saving money either. Not all changes are about money spent/money saved.

No one was talking about every change as a result of the pandemic being permanent, it would however be more like "head in the sand" to assume we can go back to pre-covid. Some stuff will remain the way they are be it a place closed, an operational shift, hours, or whatever. That goes for a lot of places. My comment was just to say a lot of people would disagree that for sure the adults only pool option being removed is just temporary. I would also add that even though Hawaii has been stricter than other places physical distancing is largely of the past. Didn't this thread already discuss how busy it was at points? I don't think people were staying anywhere near 6 feet apart. I do think an initial change was made in the vein of physical distancing but I don't have the confidence personally speaking that the adjustment in adults only is due to that any longer rather than some other reason which opened the "could be a permanent adjustment" discussion.
I didn't mean "physical distancing" as in the days when there were dots all over the ground 6 feet apart and people were sticking to them. I just meant "Aunty's Beach House is closed, meaning there's a much higher percentage of kids on the pool deck than there used to be, and they need somewhere to stick the overflow of little bodies."

I also never said I'm CERTAIN that it'll be adults-only again. I just think people look at these decisions in silos and don't appreciate how everything in a resort like this harmonizes off of everything else and needs to stay in sync. My prediction is that this pool will return to adults-only on the exact same day that Aunty's reopens.

I didn't mean "physical distancing" as in the days when there were dots all over the ground 6 feet apart and people were sticking to them. I just meant "Aunty's Beach House is closed, meaning there's a much higher percentage of kids on the pool deck than there used to be, and they need somewhere to stick the overflow of little bodies."

I also never said I'm CERTAIN that it'll be adults-only again. I just think people look at these decisions in silos and don't appreciate how everything in a resort like this harmonizes off of everything else and needs to stay in sync. My prediction is that this pool will return to adults-only on the exact same day that Aunty's reopens.
I think they made the adults only adjustment in August 2021 and here's what they said

"Aloha! We’re pleased to announce that Wailana Pool, formerly an adult-only pool, is now a family pool at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa."

That doesn't sound like they'll just switch it back once Aunty's opens up but hey we all have our own thoughts :)

Maybe they'll never reopen Aunty's and maybe they are switching gears on the type of clientele they want to have less adult (even less than before).

Well the Disney defense force is strong in this thread.

It's totally ok to like something that others don't. Reading all the personal attacks, sarcasm, and general nasty attitudes to those people who have expressed any criticism towards Aulani is pretty sad. Diversity people, it's a real thing.

Well the Disney defense force is strong in this thread.

It's totally ok to like something that others don't. Reading all the personal attacks, sarcasm, and general nasty attitudes to those people who have expressed any criticism towards Aulani is pretty sad. Diversity people, it's a real thing.
Listen to yourself.

This is the absolute most hysterical part of the Disney fan community. People who ACTUALLY LIKE DISNEY THINGS are dismissed as overly negative and critical, while the people who constantly complain about how everything sucks are the "positive" ones.

Listen to yourself.

This is the absolute most hysterical part of the Disney fan community. People who ACTUALLY LIKE DISNEY THINGS are dismissed as overly negative and critical, while the people who constantly complain about how everything sucks are the "positive" ones.
This is like proving the PP's point :upsidedow which you probably don't mean to do.

I don't dispute his point. People come to discussion boards to disagree with one another, sometimes passionately. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm saying "no duh."
My apologies but I seriously got none of that from your post. The PP was more talking about the tone of the discussion entirely not necessarily that people were disagreeing with each other civilly going over the personal experiences even passionately because being passionate does not mean you have to attack, be rude or sarcastic and was met with exactly what they were talking about. I actually don't disagree with some, though def. not all, of the points being made by people who have little negatives to give to Aulani but it's not for the most part been presented in a way that allows people who view differently to speak more openly. Then again we had a "chill Karen" in the thread probably should have known how it would go :lmao:(an attempt to bring levity here).

My apologies but I seriously got none of that from your post. The PP was more talking about the tone of the discussion entirely not necessarily that people were disagreeing with each other civilly going over the personal experiences even passionately because being passionate does not mean you have to attack, be rude or sarcastic and was met with exactly what they were talking about. I actually don't disagree with some, though def. not all, of the points being made by people who have little negatives to give to Aulani but it's not for the most part been presented in a way that allows people who view differently to speak more openly. Then again we had a "chill Karen" in the thread probably should have known how it would go :lmao:(an attempt to bring levity here).
See but I think the very premise of the thread invites people to perceive it as hostile right from the get-go. The OP is not saying "here are some problems I have with Aulani," he is saying Aulani is overrated. Overrated, meaning "you people who like Aulani are wrong." That's what overrated means.

See but I think the very premise of the thread invites people to perceive it as hostile right from the get-go. The OP is not saying "here are some problems I have with Aulani," he is saying Aulani is overrated. Overrated, meaning "you people who like Aulani are wrong." That's what overrated means.
This is all the OP said

"Be kind in your responses! haha

Maybe my expectations were too high or we stayed one ay too long. Granted Aunties wasn't open, but I doubt that would swing the experience too much."

We def. interpreted the start of the thread in completely different ways. I didn't read any hostility. I totally don't think saying something is overrated equates to saying someone who likes what I'm saying is overrated is wrong. I kinda just read it as "hey didn't really work out for me was it just me, did I stay too long, just me or anyone else?" Lots of people phrase these things asking about rides, shows, parties, dessert viewing, fireworks, dining options, etc when it comes to Disney in general so I guess it seemed quite normal to me to ask it that way. But for sure this seems very much like a YMMV situation :flower3:

I have been on tripadvisors for years, a lot of people think they have all the answers for Hawaii. Particularly new visitors. There is just no right answer, everyone has different opinions. Every experience is different. I like resorts, I also liked when we would get the dump room in Waikiki for $30 a night. Maui is Nice, Kauai is pretty, Hawaii has a lot to explore. Do not compare, just find what you like. You want luxury, yes there are better hotels, you want a more beautiful location, go to Bora Bora. Hawaii is a mix of beauty and culture you will not find anywhere else, but it is not for everyone.

Agree with pretty much all of this, with a few nuances to add.

I completely agree that I would never take a trip and only stay at the resort, and for me that "solves" what you're describing about the lack of food variety. If I stay of 8 nights, I'll do 1) AMA AMA, 2) Makahiki, 3) Olelo Room, 4) lu'au, and then four nights I'll be eating off-site. Breakfast and lunch are similar. I don't get bored of the food because I don't eat at the same place twice. It's a bummer that you had a service failure in the casabella, I've never reserved one.

We have a car when we visit and enjoy exploring off-resort for food to a degree. The lack of food variety hurts Aulani for us more from a convenience factor. After a long afternoon out, sometimes we don't want to venture out again for dinner. Olelo room frequently has long waits due to the small size, I have no need to do the luau on a trip 6 months after the first, 'AMA 'AMA isn't open right now, and we didn't think Makahiki was very good. Pool food gets repetitive quickly. We stayed for 8 nights and the food situation got boring fast, even with daily excursions out. I don't want to have to leave for both lunch and dinner most days... that is annoying.

For the luxury status of the resort, I would just expect more/better food options. It isn't deal-breaking for staying at Aulani (clearly since we are about to go back) but it is a real inconvenience of the resort that I feel warrants being called out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter