Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated?

The Grand Cal is so beautiful. But their check in system was godawful. Valet too. I will give them a pass as it was Christmas (2019) when we went.
I did a 3/4 split stay at Disneyland Hotel and Grand Cal. Saturday check-in at DLH was a zoo. Tuesday check-in at Grand Cal was a ghost town.

This was during their recent major refurb though, so there were tons of scrims and construction walls up. DLH pool was being gutted at the same time so we got both resorts looking their worst, unfortunately.

I did a 3/4 split stay at Disneyland Hotel and Grand Cal. Saturday check-in at DLH was a zoo. Tuesday check-in at Grand Cal was a ghost town.

This was during their recent major refurb though, so there were tons of scrims and construction walls up. DLH pool was being gutted at the same time so we got both resorts looking their worst, unfortunately.
You we did a split stay with DLH too. We wanted to see both. The way you enter the Grand Cal leaves you in a line on the main road when they get backed up. But like I said it was Christmas season - so not a fair time to judge

Yes, good point. I've definitely waited a long time for check-in.

I think they recently added online check-in, but you still have to wait in line to clear COVID protocols.
As chaotic Aulani can get, it could also be peaceful at times in certain areas, mainly early morning or the adult only jacuzzi tub. Now that the adults only pool is no more, it’s even harder to find refuge. I have small kids so I can never relax no matter what resort I go.

I went Sept, Oct, Nov last year and Thanksgiving the year before. Weekdays are pretty chill. To avoid the line for towels, go the night before for the band. I don’t wait in line for check-in. I go super early and wait for the text. My Magic Bands have been enabled for door entry for a long time. I do wait in line for the water slide. People have different experiences!

I went Sept, Oct, Nov last year and Thanksgiving the year before. Weekdays are pretty chill. To avoid the line for towels, go the night before for the band. I don’t wait in line for check-in. I go super early and wait for the text. My Magic Bands have been enabled for door entry for a long time. I do wait in line for the water slide. People have different experiences!
But how do you get your daily bracelets (bands)? You need to get them day of - where you get towels? Can you get them somewhere else and I missed it.

ETA: I bet they don’t usually give them out the day before? And unless you are local you can’t drop by in the morning to check in when nobody is there. And the fact you need do these tricks proves my point. Stay at a normal good hotel. Aulani is charging a fortune. I will not stay there until they at least try to pull it together

But how do you get your daily bracelets (bands)? You need to get them day of - where you get towels? Can you get them somewhere else and I missed it.
You can get the bracelets the night before if you go late enough. Or maybe they just let me. Lol. No, it’s a thing. Shhhhh.

You can get the bracelets the night before if you go late enough. Or maybe they just let me. Lol. No, it’s a thing. Shhhhh.
That is cool.

It’s like how you can modify your dining reservation then cancel day of at WDW to avoid cancellation fees.

It’s fine. But I’m not looking for and shouldn’t need to game the system on my Hawaii vacation. It’s a resort not a theme park.

yes, I think if you go late ⏰ then they just check the system and give you the bracelet.
Not sure if you were seriously implying it was gaming as I was just joking. It’s actually ok to do. They are slow at night and helps the morning crew.

yes, I think if you go late ⏰ then they just check the system and give you the bracelet.
Not sure if you were seriously implying it was gaming as I was just joking. It’s actually ok to do. They are slow at night and helps the morning crew.
I didn’t mean to imply it was wrong to do. It’s a great tip. It’s just like - hire some more people Aulani or work on a better system!

A few things... You can get the next day's wristband the day before. There's a special counter open to only DVC members from 8 to 9. And there are multiple towel stands. I've only seen a line form at one of them.

Love it there when uncrowded and kinda love that many think it’s horrible. Kinda like the Boardwalk thread listing all the bad things to discourage everyone. Hehe - more chairs for me. Oh and don’t eat the poke bowls across the street either! 🤢
That’s how I feel about all the Disney+/LL hate - more for me. But i also can see how people would dislike it. It’s all about what you want from your experience

A few things... You can get the next day's wristband the day before. There's a special counter open to only DVC members from 8 to 9. And there are multiple towel stands. I've only seen a line form at one of them.
More hacks. I don’t want hacks at my hotel. I don’t want to line up at 8 to get a bracelet. I don’t want to have to go after dinner to get a bracelet. I’m on vacation. Hire enough people that you don’t need to make it a DVC perk to get your band without waiting on lines (which 1000% exist)

More hacks. I don’t want hacks at my hotel. I don’t want to line up at 8 to get a bracelet. I don’t want to have to go after dinner to get a bracelet. I’m on vacation. Hire enough people that you don’t need to make it a DVC perk to get your band without waiting on lines (which 1000% exist)
When there are three or four towel stands and you choose the only one with a line, that's not a hack. That's "open your eyes."

I don't remember ever standing in a long line. It wasn't busy either time we went, early Nov. and late Jan. into early Feb. It has nothing to do with lines or noise. American Idol was loud. I just think it is overrated. It's very nice yes, but I would much rather go somewhere else and that has nothing to do with price, lines, people, etc. I just think there are better options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter