Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated?

All resorts in Hawaii are expensive, actually all hotels on any beautiful ocean are expensive. We are DVC and love Aulani. We have also stayed at Turtle Bay and the rack rate for a standard king room is $724 a night. It has a beautiful ocean views, but there is no lazy river, or kids splash pad and the hot tubs are a joke (and broken the times we were there). But there are better ocean views and even ocean front views if you want to pay at Turtle Bay. So, in my opinion Aulani is not over rated. I wish there was still an adult pool and more adult only space because that’s the down side of the resort to me.

We usually stay 2-3 nights max at any of these mega resorts, including the Grand Wailea, after that you have done everything

As a DVC member, I think Aulani is a great value for the points. The quality is so much better than what you get with the equivalent money other places on the island. I don't like Waikiki, so even though some of those resorts are cheaper it isn't worth the cost savings. Also free parking when staying on points. I always have a car in Hawaii, because once you have it, everything is easy to do on your own. I definitely wouldn't consider Aulani an all-inclusive destination, you really need to explore the rest of Oahu. That goes for any hotel on the island.

I don't think I would pay cash for a hotel room, unless they had a great deal going on. Aulani is a similar price to other resorts in the area, but you can rent a much larger condo for the same price as a normal Aulani room. You can also rent DVC points and get a 1 bedroom for less than the price of a normal hotel room.

I don't like Waikiki
Yeah I agree. We did have breakfast at Duke's because the first night we were there we got in so late (like almost 11pm) that we just did a cheap hotel within walking distance of Duke's.

Ko Olina is a really nice area IMO much better than Waikiki overall. In Makaha it's just residential mostly but slower pace there.

One of my DISer friends is supposed to go to Aulani this year maybe or next year I can't remember but he and his wife do own DVC. I know they've always wanted to stay at Aulani at some point but I don't know if they would have necessarily unless they were DVC people. I know another DISer friend and his dad owns DVC and they've gone there twice I think.

Yeah I agree. We did have breakfast at Duke's because the first night we were there we got in so late (like almost 11pm) that we just did a cheap hotel within walking distance of Duke's.

Ko Olina is a really nice area IMO much better than Waikiki overall. In Makaha it's just residential mostly but slower pace there.

One of my DISer friends is supposed to go to Aulani this year maybe or next year I can't remember but he and his wife do own DVC. I know they've always wanted to stay at Aulani at some point but I don't know if they would have necessarily unless they were DVC people. I know another DISer friend and his dad owns DVC and they've gone there twice I think.

Waikiki reminds me of a tourist trap. Overpriced food and shopping without much to actually do.

We’ll do a week of Waikiki and a week of Aulani early Feb. We would normally never stay on one island for that long but with Covid this is our first venture out (we haven’t left our province of Nova Scotia since Feb 2020). So Waikiki it will be. Anything less than a 2 week vacation travelling from the east coast of Canada is crazy from a travel time and recovery perspective. I think that all factors into someone’s personal trip planning. Of all the Hawaii destinations would I pick Waikiki for a week? No. Does this make the most sense given the current situation with Covid? Yes. Will we do this again for future visits? Probably not. We also have never stayed a week at Aulani before, but gotta spend those DVC points or we will lose them! No interest in in heading to busy parks in FLA at this point.

As a Canadian, seeking warm weather, the US is a relatively safe bet just based on access to vaccines and good healthcare. If we need to have an extended stay in Hawaii due to positive Covid tests, it’s a better scene than getting stuck in Mexico or the DR….

So I feel like, right now in particular, plans have less to do with ideal plans for us, but what makes sense based on current conditions….

Heading to Aulani in the next few weeks, so I cannot give an opinion until then....

We stayed at Hilton Waikoloa (Big Island-5 nights-loved it 2014?) and rented a car to the black sand beach, chocolate factory tour, Mauna Kea, Volcano park, Turtle beach, Dolphin swim (in the ocean); and hiking in a rainforest. We had our DD who was about 7 with us.

We spent 2 days on ohau (Hilton Waikiki) and the flights were delayed 8+ hrs getting there (had to wait outdoors in the airport). We drove by Aulani and honestly, it looked so boring compared to other things you could be doing around Hawaii. I don’t think you experience Hawaii; it’s like an imitation. Unless you surf (Rocky beaches; big waves), Big Island is better.

Whatever you do, don’t island hop if you’re staying a week.

Oh wow you drove by? Dang that must have really given you a great sense of the place.
We thoroughly researched the place before going (including talking to parents who had already been). It depends on your vacation style I suppose. We don’t see ourselves being in one place and doing the same thing everyday for a week.

We thoroughly researched the place before going (including talking to parents who had already been). It depends on your vacation style I suppose. We don’t see ourselves being in one place and doing the same thing everyday for a week.
Did you stay in one place and do the same thing every day for a week when you stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa? No. You rented a car and did other things around the island as well. So why would people who stay at Aulani be confined to the resort?

My Aulani stays include the hiking Ka'ena Point, hiking Diamond Head, Waimea Valley, touring the Bishop Museum, Shirokiya Japan Village Walk, and riding ATVs through the jungle.

The way you describe things makes it sound like you can rent a car on the Big Island to experience lots of nature and culture, but if you go to Aulani you're forbidden from leaving property.

Last edited:
Did you stay in one place and do the same thing every day for a week when you stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa? No. You rented a car and did other things around the island as well. So why would people who stay at Aulani be confined to the resort?

My Aulani stays include the Bishop Museum, hiking Ka'ena Point, hiking Diamond Head, Waimea Valley, touring the Bishop Museum, Shirokiya Japan Village Walk, and riding ATVs through the jungle.

The way you describe things makes it sound like you can rent a car on the Big Island to experience lots of nature and culture, but if you go to Aulani you're forbidden from leaving property.
Depends on what age your kids are and what they’re into I suppose (DD loved looking at the stars at Mauna Kea; learning about Volcanoes, turtles, learning how chocolate is made). We rented a car on both; we were stuck in traffic for 40 mins going to the airport on Ohau. Big island was much more relaxed and enjoyable for us. Others with different interests might enjoy Ohau.

When did you go? As a local who's been going to Aulani since 2010, I haveto say that their service and amenities have been drastically reduced because of the pandemic. Keep in mind that it just reopened last summer after a year and a half of it being closed. Also, since I live here, Aulani is only a one or two night stay for me, 2 or 3 times a year. Anything more than that and I'd get bored. But as a visitor, I'd recommend having a rental car and seeing the rest of Oahu, though, some have professed doing nothing but relaxing at the resort for a week or more.

I love Aulani. Granted, I live in Hawaii and we use our points for staycations, so I may be a little biased. We spend 2 nights there to enjoy the lazy river, slide, and pools. The atmosphere is relaxing and everyone is so nice there. At the end of the 3rd day there, my kids are worn out and ready to head home.

Aulani is beautiful and has a lot more to do than most mega resorts in Hawaii - especially for keeping kids entertained. In my opinion, it is best experienced in a 3-4 night stay and paired with a stay on another island or two. It is definitely not a substitute for Maui, Kauai, or the big island. I would not call it overrated- it is especially affordable on DVC points compared to most other alternatives in Hawaii. And on Oahu I think Aulani is one of the better options (I’m not a fan of the Waikiki area). However, personally there isn’t enough to do there to keep me happy for more than about 3 days until it starts to feel repetitive. I am generally a fan of split stays, and would be happiest doing 3-4 nights at Aulani, then 3-4 nights on Kaanapali beach in Maui, and 3-4 nights at Poipu on Kauai. Variety and a change of scenery, food options, etc keeps me most happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter