Chili? Love it? Hate it? Beans or no beans?

Texan here. Texas chili does not have beans. If you add beans it becomes Chili beans not chili.

That being said, if I’m trying to go healthier, I’ve been known to add black beans, frozen corn, along with the chopped onions and peppers that would be in chili.

Last edited:
Texan here. Texas chili does not have beans. If you add beans it becomes Chili beans not chili.

That being said, if I’m trying to go healthier, I’ve been k own to add black beans, frozen corn, along with the chopped onions and peppers that would be in chili.
So is Texas chili like Cincinatti chili? Just curious.

So is Texas chili like Cincinatti chili? Just curious.
I had to go look up Cincinnati Chili. If Wikipedia is correct, then possibly. Although cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and clove wouldn’t be traditional and wouldn’t appear in most recipes, chili cook-offs are widely known for secret recipes and unconventional ingredients but never beans.😉

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
Well, I'm even more confused now.
Went out to dinner and the special tonight......................................"Chili Con Carne with Beans". They have all the bases covered on that . It was delicious.

I like chili con carne, but only make it when I run into cans of "small red beans" to add in with the ground beef. They're harder to find around here than they used to be. That's how mom made it and I can't get used to big kidney beans. I'm too lazy to cook dried small red beans, which are easier to find, unless I'm using them to make red beans and rice, which is a whole different operation entirely.

Love chili and prefer it without beans and please no chunks of tomatoes...blech!

The real debate if I recall is do you serve it with a peanut butter sandwich on the side? I had never heard of such a thing until the great PB sandwich with chili debate here on the DIS.

Love chili and prefer it without beans and please no chunks of tomatoes...blech!

The real debate if I recall is do you serve it with a peanut butter sandwich on the side? I had never heard of such a thing until the great PB sandwich with chili debate here on the DIS.
No PB sandwich with chili for us. I do serve them with vegetable, beef soup. I like to dip the sandwich in the juice.

It is interesting... So what would standard ingredients be for "chili" ?
Tomatoes, Peppers & Cumin? lol
Depends on the recipe and I'm sure everyone has a favorite.
Chili is good but has no beans
Chili with beans is good but has beans.

What comes in chili as a standard. if it's not either chili w/ meat, or chili w/beans. I'm curious what is in chili when it doesn't have beans or meat? (or technically when its called "veggie" chili)

It's funny, when you first posted, i agreed with you about chili not having beans, but then the more i thought about it & others posted their opinions, i'm not so sure anymore... Now I'm just questioning *anything the facts don't support*

What comes in chili as a standard. if it's not either chili w/ meat, or chili w/beans. I'm curious what is in chili when it doesn't have beans or meat? (or technically when its called "veggie" chili)

It's funny, when you first posted, i agreed with you about chili not having beans, but then the more i thought about it & others posted their opinions, i'm not so sure anymore... Now I'm just questioning *anything the facts don't support*
"Anything the facts don't support" still applies. Otherwise restaurants and commercial chili makers would not specify on their menus that it has beans. Why would they do that otherwise? But chili is good either way.

Otherwise restaurants and commercial chili makers would not specify on their menus that it has beans. Why would they do that otherwise?
Is it the same reason they mention "con carne", because chili does not have meat?

Haha, who is "them" ??

But you are saying that "chili" does have meat then correct? or no?
Well, as the father of a vegetarian, it has been my experience that the makers of commercial chili very specifically label it vegetarian if it doesn't have meat. I have seen Turkey Chili, but again it is labeled as such, just like Chili with Beans is normally Chili with beans. It has been my experience that something labeled Chili has meat, unless labeled otherwise, that meat is beef.

Well, as the father of a vegetarian, it has been my experience that the makers of commercial chili very specifically label it vegetarian if it doesn't have meat. I have seen Turkey Chili, but again it is labeled as such, just like Chili with Beans is normally Chili with beans. It has been my experience that something labeled Chili has meat, unless labeled otherwise, that meat is beef.
So the norm is if it is not labeled to include an ingredient... Explain.? ;)

Attachments

• chunky-chili-with-both.png
    chunky-chili-with-both.png
    326.6 KB · Views: 0
  • withboth.png
    withboth.png
    434.2 KB · Views: 0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter