Buzz's Brigade 2009 - Moving to Infinity and Beyond!!!

Allie, that is pretty scary. As I was reading it I thought you'd say that since you couldn't get your car out that you decided to run for it. That all the training you have been though in these last years paid off and you out ran the Tornado.

Oh well, your story was pretty good as it was :)

Chris, where is your race report??????

Duane

Sorry I went MIA on y'all. I had a CRAZY week, and I am very thankful to be alive and well and able to write this. Please read about my week.

Ok, on Wed. morning, I was leaving for work. A little early actually, which is unusual for me. When I get to the front of my neighborhood, I hear the tornado sirens go off. Now, our sirens go off all the time, and it is for a storm that isn't in my part of the county. I live in a big county. Well, I call a coworker, and ask her to ask the office staff where the storm is because they have a weather radio, and I had turned mine off because it drives my dogs nuts.

She tells me that it is West and South of me, and seems to be tracking due East. I continue driving. Now my commute to work is only 10 minutes tops. While driving, my husband beeps in. I decide to take it since he is my weather guru. Note to self: should have called DH FIRST! ;) He asks where I am, and I tell him I'm in the car on the way to work. He says be careful, the storm spotters had spotted a funnel cloud. I got his call at 9:00 AM.

I drive less than a half a mile down the road, and I hear a wierd sound off to my right, and then the WIND and RAIN really start coming at me. My heart is beating just writing this. I reached a curve in the road and knew that I better get around it so as not to be underneath the trees. It was the scariest thing of my life. I have never seen wind like that in my life! :scared1: There is a little Nissan in front of me, and all of a sudden a tree falls across the road in front of him. I call DH back, and tell him how bad it is, and ask what I should do. He told me that it was probably on top of me, and I should turn around and go home. I think he felt helpless, and wasn't there, so didn't know what to tell me. All the while the wind is really blowing around my Tahoe. I figured it was going to be my last call to my husband. Well, I finally get turned around (it is a really narrow two lane road, and I was right next to a bridge that had rushing water going through it due to all the rain), but then find another HUGE tree across the road. I was blocked, and had to ride it out in my car.

Finally, it all passes, and I ask DH what I should do. He told me to hang up and call 911 and tell them that me and the other gentlemen are stuck between two fallen trees. I do that and tell them to come get the first tree that fell because it was smaller and would take less time to cut out of the way. I also tell them that I am fine physically, just shaken up. Then I call work and tell them that I am stuck, and won't be there for a while.

I do another UTurn, and face the first fallen tree so that I would be facing the right direction when the firemen get there. Well, shortly after that some guys drove their truck to the other side of our fallen tree, and start trying to move it. Well, I decide to get out and try and help too. If we could break a few of the branches, maybe we could get through. Well, it wasn't going anywhere, and they decide to leave their truck and jump through our tree because they said that their family's house just got "F'd".

Let me just say here, that I heard that Fword enough that day to last me a lifetime. Why do people choose to use just language? :confused3 It wasn't necessary.

Anyway, I go back to my car, and my husband calls and tells me that he heard them dispatch my call. He keeps a police scanner with him at work. :thumbsup2 At that time, I heard sirens, so I told him I better go. Only thing, they were coming to the BIG tree, not the smaller tree. Well, when the gentleman and I got around to that tree, we hear a policeman screaming for us to stay back that there was someone trapped in a vehicle under that tree. I had just driven under that tree probably 30 seconds before it fell on her car. The Lord was watching over me. :angel:

There was a trailor right beside this tree, and it wasn't damaged AT ALL! The policeman was worried about the family inside, but they were already out, and yelling that they were *F'n* fine. :sad2: I decided I wasn't needed there and didn't want to be part of the problem, so I went back to my car. By this time I am soaking wet, and my cell phone battery is almost dead. I plug my phone up to my cigarette lighter, and sit.

Within a few minutes the firefighters showed up with a chainsaw to cut down our tree. I called DH back and told him. He asked if I was going to work, and that he recommended that I go home. At this point on the radio, they are talking of damage on the road I live off of. I call work and tell them that I am going home.

I am very impressed with our local fire dept. because they had me out of there by 9:35. :thumbsup2 Then they moved on to that big tree to cut it up and get it out of the way.

I had to go a round about way to get home, but the damage I saw around me was unbelievable. I am so lucky to be alive right now, and am so thankful to be alive!

I say all that to say that I LOVE Y'ALL!! :love:Eventhough, I have never met most of you, you are all my friends! :grouphug: Even though I haven't met all of you, you have been a driving force in my life. I am so thankful for my BUZZ family. :grouphug: Enjoy your familes and friends because in the course of 5 minutes, your life can change. God doesn't promise us tomorrow, and we need to appreciate every moment, no matter how good or bad, that he gives us.

Oh, and my DH sent me a note later in the day from the National Weather Service. I survived an EF -2 tornado with 115 mph winds. The Lord has a plan for me. :thumbsup2

Oh, and you can bet that the next time I hear that siren, I am keeping my butt at home! ::yes::

Oh, Allie, I'm so very grateful that you're okay. That must have been a terrifying experience. Thank goodness you had your DH to give you good advice, that you kept a level head, and that the firefighters did a superb job. I'm saying a little prayer of thanks that you're all right. I consider you to be a very good friend and that we haven't met yet is just a matter of timing. :hug:

Wow Allie. When I say no one has checked in for a while you know how to bring it back with a bang! Glad you're Ok. I've seen what a tornado can do. It is the most terrifying storm on earth. :duck: So random in direction and stregnth. Take care and say a prayer for 'language impaired':crazy:

Hi Buzzies! I would like to apologize for going MIA for a while. I have miles/minutes to add up and will report with those later. I've done another half marathon, a few 5K's and a triathlon since I've been missing. (I did the Iron Girl tri last weekend! LOVED IT) Plus my husband did two tri's recently. Things have been busy for us. We have an a/c business so, this is also our busy season.

Right now, I'm trying to plan out two Disneyland trips for summer. First, is the Trek duathon at Disneyland next month. I just booked our hotel and need to register for the event. Then, I'm getting our plans together for my husband and I do run the Disneyland 1/2 marathon again this year. Can't believe it's almost that time again.

Mike - SO glad to hear you made it through chemo. You are amazing!

Chris - Congrats on your half marathon. How did it go?

Allie - That is one crazy story. I'm happy to hear that you got through it safely. What a scary experience for you. I hope you had a nice anniversary.

Duane - Sounds like your cross training is going well. Did you end up signing up for a tri?

HGH - Sorry to hear of your injuries. Thank goodness for the bike, though. I sure am liking biking these days too!

To the rest of the team, I hope you all have a great weekend and that training is going well!

Here are my miles/times for March and April....sorry to be late :rolleyes1

I had 4 races in there, so I doubled the miles for those.

March
run/bike/swim/gym times and miles =
211 miles
31 hours 40 minutes

April
run/bike/swim/gym times and miles =
223.73 miles
32 hours 55 minutes

Wow Casey, you've been busy! You look great in the Iron Girl photos.

I'll be at the Trek duathlon at DL next month too. I couldn't believe my luck that the DL event is a duathlon when all the others in the Trek series are tris. I can't really swim at all, but by June I should be decent enough at cycling. Have you looked at the course? It's interesting how the start is right on Main Street. That makes me think we're going to be starting quite early in order to clear everyone out before park opening. Oh, well. I'm just excited to go back to DL. I haven't been there in 9 years!

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

"A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it." ~Alfred Hitchcock

By now, most of you have figured out I like movies. A lot. Perhaps an unhealthy amount. Nevertheless, I think it's fun to talk about movies, especially now that the summer season has started. Wolverine has been released, so has Star Trek, with many more big blockbusters soon to come.

So this week's mixer topic is, predictably enough, summer movies! The start of the mixer, posted on the 'Ohana thread, is here.

What summer movies are you looking most forward to, and why? Also, how do you like your summer movies?

Feel free to talk about how you choose your flicks: based on directors, your favorite movie star, a beloved genre? And what is your ideal movie experience? Midnight movies or matinees? Chain theaters or independents? Drive-ins? What about the movie-going extras? With or without snacks? Buttered popcorn or chocolate?

I am slowly starting to get back into it, and little bit of cranking and weights.
After being told that NYC has only 50 spots for cranks this year I have moved my focus to the Boston, as it will be easier to get into!!!!!!

With my mind on Boston I started hill training yesterday :scared1: I heard of a track that is used by locals traing for Boston so I gace it a try.....one hill was 1mph!!!!!! but comming down the other side was great :thumbsup2
We had the weather radio with us and a warning was given that funnel clouds, lightening and rain was in our area......and we got it, the rain felt like we where being hit by stones and we did see a funnel cloud......that made us go a bit faster up those hills :rotfl2: my 1mph one became 3mph.

My DH had my DD and SD in the bike trailer, nothing like have an extra 100lbs to pull along :rotfl:. The only thing he did like was that we got so wet he told me that I cold enter a miss wet T shirt contest!!!!

I had to go out of town for business but made sure to pack my running gear. Good thing my company will be covering my $15 checked bag fee. :) The weather up in Schaumburg, IL (a suburb of Chicago) was beautiful this week. I found a forest preserve not too far from my hotel with a nice paved trail and got in two runs while I was there. The forest scenery was a nice change from the usual desert landscape that I see.

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday AND Tuesday Mixer :stitch:

Stop on by the 'Ohana team thread, where the mixer starts here!

I know this weekend is a vacation weekend for many of us, so we'll be running the mixer tomorrow (Monday) and Tuesday. This mixer question is a ringer, folks, but hopefully still fun:

What did you do for Memorial Day/Weekend?

Provide us with plenty of details & hopefully photos of your activities, gatherings, celebrations and how you observe the day (and spirit) of Memorial Day. :thumbsup2

I did my longest crank ever today 31 miles.
It was slower than I would have liked, 3:05 but I now have a base time to work on.
Other good news is that I am going to get graded on friday :banana: I have to go to Tampa.
So now I will know what time I have to aim for in races.

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

I know you're all ea-GEAR to share your knowledge about your favorite clothing, training aids and technical toys, so this week's prompt posted here on the 'Ohana thread is:

Beyond the basics, what's your favorite/most-useful/most loved gear?

Of course, feel free to talk about your favorite shoes, socks, tech shirts or sports bras or other necessities. But I think we'd all like to know about that special something(s) that you've added to your "must have" for training, racing days, or just plain pleasure. For some of you, maybe it's your Garmin. Other, a special brand of sunscreen or a specific brand of water belt? Still others, a strategy for taping your legs and feet or a a favorite tracking website?

Please share your special finds with the rest of us. :thumbsup2

Miles for May: 20.63 (doubled the Bloomsday miles, let me know if we're not doubling event miles & I'll adjust)
Time: 4:45

Hey Everyone. Just checking in to say a big HELLO. Hope you are all out moving and shaking. Our thread has been very quiet. I hope everyone is alright!!!!!

Lets go Buzzies!!!!!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Wow Casey, you've been busy! You look great in the Iron Girl photos.

I'll be at the Trek duathlon at DL next month too. I couldn't believe my luck that the DL event is a duathlon when all the others in the Trek series are tris. I can't really swim at all, but by June I should be decent enough at cycling. Have you looked at the course? It's interesting how the start is right on Main Street. That makes me think we're going to be starting quite early in order to clear everyone out before park opening. Oh, well. I'm just excited to go back to DL. I haven't been there in 9 years!

I'm sorry I missed seeing your post! I'm glad to hear you are doing it too and excited about going to Disney. I was surprised about the event being a du instead of a tri, too. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the water in CA Adventure that would have been used for the swim, is currently drained and under construction. (unless things have change recently) I was kinda glad to not have to swim, because that is my worst area. :rotfl:

I was looking at the course. Looks like fun, especially how the run starts on Main Street! They finally updated the start time, I'm sure you saw too. 6 am! The only thing I'm bummed about is that packet pick up is over in Pomona. I wish it was just at Disney or near it! I wonder how big the event is going to be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter