Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

Really not that hard to determine right pool temps.

Using New York or any midwest ambient condition is just silly and borders trolling.

Management can easily:
1. Review surveys: if bunches repeatedly say something; it's probably true.
2. Eye test -- Aulani has pools with varying temps between the four main and river. If bunches are crowding the back pool and infinity pool over the main and lazy river and the tot lot is empty --- you've got a temperature issue for sure.

IMHO, the river should be at least warmer than the ocean by a few degrees to keep folk comfortable compared to the ambient temperature.

LOL, defending Aulani's freezing pool as "refreshing" and warmer than the freezing Atlantic Ocean. I'd be furious, if I paid that much at a luxury hotel. At this point, it's been broken for months right?

LOL, defending Aulani's freezing pool as "refreshing" and warmer than the freezing Atlantic Ocean. I'd be furious, if I paid that much at a luxury hotel. At this point, it's been broken for months right?
As of last Thursday it had been “fixed”. Now I am sure a body of water that size takes a while to reach a set point…I don’t know have never owned a pool. However if when I get there next week the temp is still down and I will verify with 2 separate thermometers, I would think that is sufficient time to heat it back up.

Can anyone confirm where exactly in writing it states the temp of the pools? I looked on the website but may of overlooked it.

I'm not defending Aulani or DIS.

In fact, I've already stated that the water temp in a leisure pool needs to be warmer. Another fact, if you read any of my other posts regarding Aulani I don't believe that Aulani should be the focus of a Hawaiian vacation. It boggles my mind that people fly all the way to Oahu for their "once in a lifetime" Hawaii adventure and plan on spending all of their time at Aulani. I've also stated multiple times in this forum that I would rather spend my money on experiences on Oahu than paying the high costs of staying at Aulani.

The question that I responded to was asking if that poster was the only person who like swimming in a cold pool to be cool and refreshing. I responded that I prefer the cool pools, but I'm also a swimmer and a triathlete. I only wear a wetsuit for open water races if the water temperature is below 70.

That my opinion for me. It is not my opinion for water temperatures to be cold for the average person and especially children. I've stated that in the thread already. This comes from 17 years of teaching swimming lessons and in management at one of the largest waterparks in the country. If the water is too cold the guest isn't going to enjoy their experience.
I actually feel the same way. I had wanted to go to Hawaii as long as I can remember from childhood. I was able to go for the first time in my 40s because of my owning DVC. I planned my Hawaii trip for years and spent over 2 weeks there. Flying from where I live is a hassle so it takes me 2 travel days, lots of money, flying to an Island in the middle of the ocean, with some of the most naturally beautiful landscape on the planet. And so the last thing that was on my list was a stupid hotel pool. I think we went into the lazy river twice during the whole trip in the late afternoon when everyone cleared out. We spent most of our time exploring and enjoying the ocean. The way that I see it is that pools are everywhere. I can go up the street to the local hotel and enjoy their pool. What I don't ever get to experience is the ocean and being in a tropical environment.
I can see for someone who has an easier time of it going to Hawaii and has been many times to want to sit and enjoy the resort. But I wouldn't use the temporary heater issue as a reason to not stay there if someone has never gone to Hawaii. I have noticed a strange mentality when it comes to Aulani. When you ask a person staying somewhere else where they are going on vacation, they say "Hawaii" or "Oahu", nobody ever just says the name of the hotel as if that is the destination. They only seem to do that with Aulani for some reason. And I am not talking about this specific forum, but in other travel groups that I participate in.

There was obviously an issue with the pool temperature. I wonder if they were having issues getting a part in. We seem to forget that the world is not the same as it was before Covid.

Exactly different world we live in now. Every place is understaffed and overworked it seems like.

I think the biggest gripe is the Aulani at least just be honest about it all. Everyone here seems to agree that the pool should be what they advertise it to be.
I agree that the pool should be at it's proper temperature. I don't think that they are intentionally keeping the temperatures cold. What manager wants to deal with their guest complaining about that daily? I think that it is a more reasonable assumption that something broke and could not fix it in house and so they are waiting for a part to be shipped in. Everything is taking longer now. Many companies went out business, production chains were stopped, and there are many companies with huge back orders. I don't know why people would think that after a decade they would just automatically decide to turn off the heaters in the pool.

3. Cool pool water is not the end of the word and acting like it ruined your entire vacation is ridiculous, entitled, and childish.
This is needlessly rude. People prioritize different things. And certainly people paying a lot of money for a Hawaiian resort have the right to express dissatisfaction on a relevant message board if they found key water amenities uncomfortable IMO. Where did someone say their “entire vacation” was ruined?
Can you please point me to the DIS boards rule that makes you the final arbiter on what people are and aren’t allowed to complain about so we all don’t run afoul of it in the future? I remember last year I sympathized with a poster who was disappointed deluxe resorts didn’t have any full housekeeping yet and that also triggered your condescension so I just want to make sure I’m up to date on the rules, thanks!

This is needlessly rude. People prioritize different things. And certainly people paying a lot of money for a Hawaiian resort have the right to express dissatisfaction on a relevant message board if they found key water amenities uncomfortable IMO. Where did someone say their “entire vacation” was ruined?
Can you please point me to the DIS boards rule that makes you the final arbiter on what people are and aren’t allowed to complain about so we all don’t run afoul of it in the future? I remember last year I sympathized with a poster who was disappointed deluxe resorts didn’t have any full housekeeping yet and that also triggered your condescension so I just want to make sure I’m up to date on the rules, thanks!
Have a Magical day

Here now, literally sitting in front of the pool. Weve been here since saturday. There is absolutely no way this is "fixed" all of the pools are very cold.

The grotto pool is the warmest, but it sits in the sun all day. The splash park and the lazy river and the coldest.

Here now, literally sitting in front of the pool. Weve been here since saturday. There is absolutely no way this is "fixed" all of the pools are very cold.

The grotto pool is the warmest, but it sits in the sun all day. The splash park and the lazy river and the coldest.
Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update!
Also a former pool owner, the water would cycle through a heater the same way it would its filtration system. If it was fixed thursday, it wouldve definitely been warmer by today for sure.

It doesnt bother me or my crew mostly, but I wouldve enjoyed the amenities more had it been warmer - there is a solid hesitation in sitting down in that tube on the lazy river, and once the sun goes down, even the warmest pool can feel quite frigid to be in.

And now for a Dad joke…
This thread is getting way too “heated” for me. Time to go to Aulani next week and cool off.
I love the Dad jokes! And that you’re packing two thermometers so you can fact find —peak Dad mode! :)

Last edited:
<sticks head up out of foxhole>
It’s way too quiet in here this morning…
Maybe @johnkerryP can go by the lobby and speak to a manager today and see what Aulani’s official word is today on the temps and if the issue is “fixed”.
<pulls head back down>

I remember a trip we took to the Beach Club in mid December of 2011. The pool heat was broken and the pool was chilly. The lifeguards ALL knew about the problem and explained it to everyone as they handed out wristbands. They were super apologetic and assured us that it would be fixed "within 3 days at most." It was fixed 2 days later. They suggested visiting the front desk if we had any further concerns or questions "to see what they can offer for the inconvenience."

What a change since then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter