Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

Because nobody cares. Four people in the world care and they're all posting in this thread.

Holy crap now we're dinging Aulani because the PACIFIC OCEAN isn't the temperature that some people would like?
I know I said I’m never gonna visit Aulani and that’s probably true, but we will absolutely visit Hawaii for the first time since having kids in the next year or two and I can say with 100% certainty that reading reviews about a hotel’s chilly pools and chilly lazy River would absolutely factor into any hotel choice! I’ve even switched hotels in the middle of a trip on a warm weather vacation bc the pool wasnt sufficiently heated.

I can’t imagine I’m alone in being sensitive to cold water and in my experience, kids *really* dislike being cold in the pool and who wants to go on an expensive vacation to hear kids complain about being uncomfortable in the pool?

I can’t imagine I’m alone in being sensitive to cold water and in my experience, kids *really* dislike being cold in the pool and who wants to go on an expensive vacation to hear kids complain about being uncomfortable in the pool?
Many cruises in cold temperatures where the pools were heavily in use by kids (only), and local splash pads which apparently use glacial runoff, but which we couldn’t bribe my DD to leave, leave me with the impression that many kids don’t really care.

In our last trip to Aulani however, my daughter got knee deep into the fish pond, and refused to go back during our trip (not buying those full week passes again! 🤪), and she did spend lots of time alternating between the hot tub and pools.

Don’t know what the temps were for our August trip, but the lazy river was definitely a few degrees cooler than the pools. It would’ve been nice if it was warmer, but definitely not a dealbreaker for using it. The pools were perfect for all day use…. One day my DD spent a total of 8 hours in the water.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 78 degrees is not "chilly water."

You're from New York City? Drive down to Wildwood or Ocean City or Seaside Heights this summer and tell me what temperature you think the ocean is. Most likely it'll be around 76 in August, 74 in July, and people will be in the water all day long. Nobody is getting hypothermia or cancelling their vacations because the ocean is "only" 74 degrees in Ocean City in July.

Now, Aulani advertises heated pools, so they should provide heated pools. I'm not arguing that. But my goodness this has to be the most Charmin Soft bunch of people on the internet.
Well I’m originally from the Caribbean and grew up never having to consider pool temps bc they were always warm. And now I’m remembering it’s fruitless to argue with you, because you amazingly Know All and never acknowledge a differing POV but I’ll try to clarify one more time.

I was responding to your general comment that the only people who seem to care about this pool temps issue at a place like the Aulani are four people on this thread. My point is that that’s not true. Pool temps are actually an issue many people think about (especially with kids)—whenever i go to a hotel or water park, I always check on this, for example.

In addition, this thread hasn’t primarily been about a pool temp that’s 78 degrees. It began with a warning that the lazy river was very chilly and that most guests OP spoke to were also unhappy with the temp and that hotel staff had been receiving complaints. It was only after a week or two of comments on this that someone updated that it seemed warmer now (the 78 degrees) but there have still been inconsistencies re: how comfortable the pools/lazy River seem to be. And yes, you’re right, many people are fine with this potential issue or prioritize other things more! But if i was looking at reviews of a hotel and read that pool temps could potentially be hit or miss, I’d absolutely look for a comparable place that didn’t have this issue. So I was simply clarifying that isnt some niche concern—the comfort of the water amenities are pretty key for many.

And now I’m remembering it’s fruitless to argue with you, because you amazingly Know All and never acknowledge a differing POV.

✌🏻

Not only did I acknowledge the other point of view, I agreed with it. Right there in the post you quoted, I said that Aulani should provide a heated pool if they're going to advertise a heated pool.

Last edited:
Because nobody cares. Four people in the world care and they're all posting in this thread.
LOL - wonder if you’ve seen the news reports on the billboard in the UK - it had a risqué tongue in cheek message. After receiving complaints, the regulatory board shut it down.

So the company posted a new billlboard saying
you found it offensive, we all found it funny
😡 4 😅 40,000,000

Not saying anything about this thread, just find the similarity amusing!

Holy crap now we're dinging Aulani because the PACIFIC OCEAN isn't the temperature that some people would like?
Yeah nobody cares if the main draw of a hotel is freezing and unusable. LOL, sure. If you say so.

And I said pools AND lagoon. But we already know reading comprehension and vocabulary are not your forte.

I hope you work for Aulani - b/c otherwise your defense of obviously negative things - like a pool heater that doesn’t work for weeks or a freezing and unusable lazy River are confusing.

And again, didn’t you block me long ago 😜

My understanding is that the system was specifically designed without such redundancies so they could tout their green/eco-friendly bona fides.

Separately, am I the only one who likes a swimming pool to be cool and refreshing? I see pools as a way to cool off on a hot day, not take a bath with strangers.
I do agree with you that the cool and refreshing is nice when the ambient temperature is warm enough but especially in the winter, and during all the times when there was no direct sun I would of really appreciated warmer temperatures. On my trip last December I found myself avoiding certain pools just because they were so cold.

No not at all. But especially in the winter when the ambient temperature and ocean are so much cooler it would really be so much nicer to have a warm lazy river to hang out in.

Many cruises in cold temperatures where the pools were heavily in use by kids (only), and local splash pads which apparently use glacial runoff, but which we couldn’t bribe my DD to leave, leave me with the impression that many kids don’t really care.

In our last trip to Aulani however, my daughter got knee deep into the fish pond, and refused to go back during our trip (not buying those full week passes again! 🤪), and she did spend lots of time alternating between the hot tub and pools.

Don’t know what the temps were for our August trip, but the lazy river was definitely a few degrees cooler than the pools. It would’ve been nice if it was warmer, but definitely not a dealbreaker for using it. The pools were perfect for all day use…. One day my DD spent a total of 8 hours in the water.
I had one kid who really didnt care but the other definitely had an issue with the cold pools. Thankfully the Ka Makka Grotto opened up and was usually warm.

No not at all. But especially in the winter when the ambient temperature and ocean are so much cooler it would really be so much nicer to have a warm lazy river to hang out in.
Yes, this. If I go to a hot area like Dominican Republic where it’s warm all the time and the beach is like bath water, I’m not really paying attention to the pool water temps in the same way and the pool is intended to be more refreshing. But Hawaii isn’t really like that, and especially not in the winter season. The beach water is already cooler, air is a bit crisper, etc. Would definitely be much more sensitive to pool temps there (and in fact I forgot I was when I visited! First trip to Maui we stayed at the Ritz, which was lovely but pool too cold for me. For second visit, we switched to the Four Seasons and temps were perfect! Ah, the pre-kids DINK life, lol)

Jen - you should absolutely visit Aulani if you can. Hawaii is wonderful, and Disney’s take on Hawaii (Aulani) is unique and worth a visit. This is coming from a lifelong (first visit in 1969) Disney fan, and lifelong Hawaii resident and visitor.
I’m visiting the Poly in April—does that count?? But yes, it sounds lovely (if water becomes warmer, haha). But Hawaii is so expensive that the Disney premium cost in addition will be hard to justify 😭

This thread reminds me of a Dr. Suess book
“I like cold pools, I like hot pools, I like old pools, I like new pools. I like deep pools, I like shallow pools, I like long pools, and I like short pools. However if Aulani doesn’t fix their boiler I will refuse to pay my annual dues.”
:stir:

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of a Dr. Suess book
“I like cold pools, I like hot pools, I like old pools, I like new pools. I like deep pools, I like shallow pools, I like long pools, and I like short pools. However if Aulani doesn’t fix their boiler I will refuse to pay my annual dues.”
:stir:

this thread reminds me that there are individuals out there who will defend DIS no matter what, no matter what the circumstance, including keeping resort pools in a tropical, supposed luxury resort in near freezing temperatures

this thread reminds me that there are individuals out there who will defend DIS no matter what, no matter what the circumstance, including keeping resort pools in a tropical, supposed luxury resort in near freezing temperatures
I agree I just try to keep it light hearted and appreciate what everyone brings to this thread. I am in the mindset we should get what we pay for through our dues and what is advertised however I am not going to cancel a trip over it (not saying anyone has said that). When we go next week I will do a little “research” and I have no problem bringing it to someone’s attention. Can I change the world? Probably not, I truly enjoy this board though with all the good, bad and personalities it brings. It’s like being in the movie “Inside Out” just pick a thread and you can get a range of emotions through each post. The funny thing is we all want the same thing to enjoy our passion and love for all things Disney through sickness and health.

Uh, generally these Aulani boards are frequented by DVC members who are big fans of Aulani. I’m one of them! That’s why I own there. And though this water temperature issue really annoys me, it doesn’t make me suddenly hate the entire place. I just want it fixed.

But others seize on these details and inflate them into apocalyptic, hugely negative proportions, like saying a pool kept at 78 degrees is “near freezing.” How is that helpful? Lighten up!

I agree I just try to keep it light hearted and appreciate what everyone brings to this thread. I am in the mindset we should get what we pay for through our dues and what is advertised however I am not going to cancel a trip over it (not saying anyone has said that). When we go next week I will do a little “research” and I have no problem bringing it to someone’s attention. Can I change the world? Probably not, I truly enjoy this board though with all the good, bad and personalities it brings. It’s like being in the movie “Inside Out” just pick a thread and you can get a range of emotions through each post. The funny thing is we all want the same thing to enjoy our passion and love for all things Disney through sickness and health.
Exactly! Well said. We’ll be there in Feb. and be happy to follow up on your research!

I'm not defending Aulani or DIS.

In fact, I've already stated that the water temp in a leisure pool needs to be warmer. Another fact, if you read any of my other posts regarding Aulani I don't believe that Aulani should be the focus of a Hawaiian vacation. It boggles my mind that people fly all the way to Oahu for their "once in a lifetime" Hawaii adventure and plan on spending all of their time at Aulani. I've also stated multiple times in this forum that I would rather spend my money on experiences on Oahu than paying the high costs of staying at Aulani.

Nope. You're not the only one.
The question that I responded to was asking if that poster was the only person who like swimming in a cold pool to be cool and refreshing. I responded that I prefer the cool pools, but I'm also a swimmer and a triathlete. I only wear a wetsuit for open water races if the water temperature is below 70.

That my opinion for me. It is not my opinion for water temperatures to be cold for the average person and especially children. I've stated that in the thread already. This comes from 17 years of teaching swimming lessons and in management at one of the largest waterparks in the country. If the water is too cold the guest isn't going to enjoy their experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter