Are you for or against buying a pet from a pet store?

I would never buy a dog from a pet store. And, actually, I would never buy anything from a pet store that sold puppies. I just don’t agree with supporting the puppy mill industry.

If I wanted a specific breed for whatever reason, I would spend some time looking/waiting for a breed specific rescue and if that did not pan out, I would buy from a reputable breeder.

I know of very few rescues with overly restrictive policies. Ex. The Great Dane rescue near me will not adopt to anyone who lives in a house without a fenced yard (but they do adopt to people who live in apartments:confused3) Most rescues have fairly common sense requirements that are mostly there to ensure the dogs will not wind up needing to be rehomed. I really can’t understand why you would feel the need to evade a home inspection.
Because it is a dog. I am fine with having references and contacting them. I do not feel the need to have someone come into my home to see if I am a worthy pet owner.

Because it is a dog. I am fine with having references and contacting them. I do not feel the need to have someone come into my home to see if I am a worthy pet owner.

I get that it may seem unnecessary in most cases, but I just don’t view that as a reason to search for and travel to a distant rescue just to avoid a home visit. I guess we have done so many that it just doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.

Personally, if I could choose between the two I would much rather do a home visit than have references be bothered.

I get that it may seem unnecessary in most cases, but I just don’t view that as a reason to search for and travel to a distant rescue just to avoid a home visit. I guess we have done so many that it just doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.

Personally, if I could choose between the two I would much rather do a home visit than have references be bothered.
We didn't go a distance to to avoid a home inspection. If a shelter would have required one, we would not have done it. Most of the shelters near us did not have the type of dogs we were interested, so we had to travel to a shelter that had a larger variety of breeds. I have been a reference for a friend. I was never contacted, but I was very comfortable being contacted if needed.

We got our dog from a reputable breeder.
We will get another one from them when the time comes.
I wouldn’t buy a dog from a pet store, and honestly I am unlikely to do so from any sort of rescue place-I want to know background of breed etc for health and behaviour reasons.

I would never buy a cat or dog from a pet store. If I want a purebred anything, I'll go to a reputable source and pay through the nose.
Same here. Wouldn’t buy from a pet store, but usually want a puppy & a pure breed. I like the temperament of certain breeds & shelter dogs can be a gamble. It’s a nice idea in theory, but not a gamble I want to take. I also like a young puppy b/c I start working on training & good habits immediately.

I have never understood spending $$$ on any animal.

My husbands dog was $800 from a pet store nine years ago. They paid that because they were assured it was a purebred shih tzu. Guys, this dog looks nothing like one and is the dumbest thing I have ever come across. I’m pretty sure it’s dumb because it was from a puppy mill and is inbred.

If I get talked into another dog I would only agree if it came from a shelter on free dog weekend. No way are we spending $$$ on something I’d much rather be without.

Yea. Technically I wasn't supposed to adopt one of my cats if I was planning to move within the year or something like that. I moved 5 months later to a totally different state.
Yeah I think most places know people don't ahere to their rules 100% of the time. I feel like the home visit thing seems common enough but I think the amount of places that actually follow through with that option are a lot less.

My husbands dog was $800 from a pet store nine years ago. They paid that because they were assured it was a purebred shih tzu. Guys, this dog looks nothing like one and is the dumbest thing I have ever come across. I’m pretty sure it’s dumb because it was from a puppy mill and is inbred.

If I get talked into another dog I would only agree if it came from a shelter on free dog weekend. No way are we spending $$$ on something I’d much rather be without.
We paid $130 for our cat (when he was a kitten, adult cats were less) from the rescue/shelter but that did come with neutering, initial round of shots, and a free follow up vet visit from a list of local vets. When we took him in to get his booster shots that visit alone would have cost $55 then you add on the cost of the shots but because of that voucher it was free. We felt $130 was worth it in that situation.

I do know that some places do microchipping included vs a follow of vet visit (though some may even do both).

I have a coworker friend who got a miniature husky from Petland. Spent like 1400 on it. It died the weekend he brought it home. The store gave him a new miniature husky who is still alive after a couple of years. She developed eye problems and has an eye that needs to be removed and is eventually going to go blind. My friend has to put drops in her eyes and takes her to the doggie opthomalogist. Petland has a puppy for life program where they give you store credit to get a new puppy after your previous Petland puppy dies provided you buy all your dog food, vitamins and supplements at Petland.

I got my corgi mix from the county animal shelter for 60 bucks. He came with shots and microchip.

Some breeders offer DNA testing now. My breeder also gave me my dog’s AKC pedigree from 4 generations going back to the early 90s. I pay $ b/c I want a certain breed of dog. I don’t pay for cats b/c cats are cats even if they look different. But a Golden is not a chihuahua etc. I also heavily research reputable breeders.

I'm honestly confused by this statement. Can you elaborate.
In my experience, there is not a huge difference in the temperament/personality of a domestic short hair vs Persian vs a bengal etc. Of course, individual cats have different personalities but not based on breed. Whereas a Golden has a drastically different personality from a chihuahua etc.

In my experience, there is not a huge difference in the temperament/personality of a domestic short hair vs Persian vs a bengal etc. Of course, individual cats have different personalities but not based on breed. Whereas a Golden has a drastically different personality from a chihuahua etc.

Oh I very much disagree! But I’ve worked with many types of cat.

Really? I have too, but I have never noticed a huge difference. Can you elaborate? I’m genuinely curious.

Well as much as I obviously like animals, I do have preferences. Cats are best for my lifestyle and I find that dog-like cats are my favorite. They don’t have to be purebred, but cats that have Abyssinian or Maine Coon in them are most likely to be “dog-like”. I have two friends with bengals and those aren’t for me - so energetic! Big pass on Persians for me... too subdued in my opinion, and Siamese have a reputation for being needy and vocal. Most shelter cats are just good ole tabby mixes so their behaviors vary wildly, but if you get into car “breeds” I do notice a difference.

Ah ok. Yeah cats are just like dogs in that different breeds have different average characteristics and temperaments, etc

I can understand if in your opinion that's the case due to your experience but I assure you fact-wise cats are not simply cats even if they look different.

People buy specific breeds of cats just like people do for dogs specifically due to their average temperaments, personalities, known health issues, etc

Really? I have too, but I have never noticed a huge difference. Can you elaborate? I’m genuinely curious.
Some places you might find more information is the International Cat Association (ICA) and Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) both of which you can search by breed and see characteristics of breeds.

Obviously like with dogs though individual cats will vary. You may find a dog doesn't exhibit something normally seen in their breed just like a cat can.

As a random example the Ragdoll: under Personality from the ICA- "The Ragdoll is a relaxed, happy cat and, like a child's ragdoll, many of these cats will go limp in your arms and flop like a stuffed doll when cuddled. Generally, the Ragdoll cat is a loving, quiet cat with a very laidback disposition. If you are looking for a very active cat or a talkative cat, a Ragdoll probably is not the breed for you, although kittens and young adults can be very rambunctious and most Ragdolls are always willing to play. Ragdolls are known for their tolerant attitudes with other animals and especially children and many will allow themselves to be dressed in doll clothes and carried around by youngsters with absolutely no resistance. They are often compared to dogs because of their friendliness and intelligence and have even been taught to play fetch."

Another random example the Bengal: under Personality from the ICA-"While you can train a Bengal to have "good manners", they are an active, inquisitive cat that loves to be up high. If you don't like a cat to leave the floor, a Bengal is probably not the right cat for you. Bengals are busy by nature. They are very affectionate and can be a "lap cat" whenever THEY want to be, but in general their idea of fun is playing, chasing, climbing and investigating. When a Bengal is in full play mode, it's rather like trying to hold on to running water! They'll often save the cuddle time for when they want to sleep. Many Bengals enjoy water and may join you in brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Some Bengals are vocal while others are more quiet and selective about using their voice.

Bengals will also, in general, ALWAYS want to be where you are. After all, that's where the action is! And Bengals are all about "The Action". When given the choice of a static toy, and one that does wild, unpredictable things, Bengals will always choose the "wild" one! For individuals or families who enjoy rambunctious, funny, beautiful and dynamic feline companionship, consider the Bengal."

Well as much as I obviously like animals, I do have preferences. Cats are best for my lifestyle and I find that dog-like cats are my favorite. They don’t have to be purebred, but cats that have Abyssinian or Maine Coon in them are most likely to be “dog-like”. I have two friends with bengals and those aren’t for me - so energetic! Big pass on Persians for me... too subdued in my opinion, and Siamese have a reputation for being needy and vocal. Most shelter cats are just good ole tabby mixes so their behaviors vary wildly, but if you get into car “breeds” I do notice a difference.
Oh true. I guess now that you say that they are. But, I guess I feel things that make them more stereotypical cats are more pronounced that dogs. If that makes sense? Just my opinion. I find there are some dog breeds that are more typical “dog” than others. I guess what I really mean is that a rescue cat is less of a gamble b/c they’re still likely to be more typical cat especially if you get a kitten than a rescue dog is. But, maybe that has just been my experience with the cats I’ve had.

Ah ok. Yeah cats are just like dogs in that different breeds have different average characteristics and temperaments, etc

I can understand if in your opinion that's the case due to your experience but I assure you fact-wise cats are not simply cats even if they look different.

People buy specific breeds of cats just like people do for dogs specifically due to their average temperaments, personalities, known health issues, etc

Some places you might find more information is the International Cat Association (ICA) and Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) both of which you can search by breed and see characteristics of breeds.

Obviously like with dogs though individual cats will vary. You may find a dog doesn't exhibit something normally seen in their breed just like a cat can.

As a random example the Ragdoll: under Personality from the ICA- "The Ragdoll is a relaxed, happy cat and, like a child's ragdoll, many of these cats will go limp in your arms and flop like a stuffed doll when cuddled. Generally, the Ragdoll cat is a loving, quiet cat with a very laidback disposition. If you are looking for a very active cat or a talkative cat, a Ragdoll probably is not the breed for you, although kittens and young adults can be very rambunctious and most Ragdolls are always willing to play. Ragdolls are known for their tolerant attitudes with other animals and especially children and many will allow themselves to be dressed in doll clothes and carried around by youngsters with absolutely no resistance. They are often compared to dogs because of their friendliness and intelligence and have even been taught to play fetch."

Another random example the Bengal: under Personality from the ICA-"While you can train a Bengal to have "good manners", they are an active, inquisitive cat that loves to be up high. If you don't like a cat to leave the floor, a Bengal is probably not the right cat for you. Bengals are busy by nature. They are very affectionate and can be a "lap cat" whenever THEY want to be, but in general their idea of fun is playing, chasing, climbing and investigating. When a Bengal is in full play mode, it's rather like trying to hold on to running water! They'll often save the cuddle time for when they want to sleep. Many Bengals enjoy water and may join you in brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Some Bengals are vocal while others are more quiet and selective about using their voice.

Bengals will also, in general, ALWAYS want to be where you are. After all, that's where the action is! And Bengals are all about "The Action". When given the choice of a static toy, and one that does wild, unpredictable things, Bengals will always choose the "wild" one! For individuals or families who enjoy rambunctious, funny, beautiful and dynamic feline companionship, consider the Bengal."
I haven’t worked with cats in a while other than my own which are just domestic short hairs. But, I forgot about Ragdolls. I always loved them for the reasons you said! And I actually found bengals to be aggressive. Maybe it’s been my experience b/c I’ve never owned a cat breed like I have dog breeds so while I saw those characteristics you mentioned, it was brief & didn’t stick with me b/c it wasn’t my cat.

Oh true. I guess now that you say that they are. But, I guess I feel things that make them more stereotypical cats are more pronounced that dogs. If that makes sense? Just my opinion. I find there are some dog breeds that are more typical “dog” than others. I guess what I really mean is that a rescue cat is less of a gamble b/c they’re still likely to be more typical cat especially if you get a kitten than a rescue dog is. But, maybe that has just been my experience with the cats I’ve had.

My cats have all been rescues and my current cat was at the shelter twice before. He was taken at age 2 from an animal hoarder and at age 4, he was surrendered because his owners divorced and neither wanted him. Luckily I was able to be his third and final and I think we found each other for a reason. He has some behavioral issues from that upbringing but as an animal trainer I can work through them. I’ve since resolved that any animals I get in the future will be the misfits others can’t handle. I have the training and patience to work with them, plus kittens always get adopted but not so with adults. I think there’s a certain joy in helping animals with a great need and a certain appreciation from those animals for being saved.

My cats have all been rescues and my current cat was at the shelter twice before. He was taken at age 2 from an animal hoarder and at age 4, he was surrendered because his owners divorced and neither wanted him. Luckily I was able to be his third and final and I think we found each other for a reason. He has some behavioral issues from that upbringing but as an animal trainer I can work through them. I’ve since resolved that any animals I get in the future will be the misfits others can’t handle. I have the training and patience to work with them, plus kittens always get adopted but not so with adults. I think there’s a certain joy in helping animals with a great need and a certain appreciation from those animals for being saved.
I agree & I commend those who do it. It’s just not for me...at least with dogs. I’ve never actually adopted or bought a kitten or a cat. I always find them. My current 14 yr old cat I found in my car engine when he was 6 weeks old. My other 18 yr old cat I inherited when my dad passed away last yr, but he found her himself when she was probably 5 weeks old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter