• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Are you for or against buying a pet from a pet store?

Puppies in stores need homes and love just as much as any other dog.
Of course the individual dogs deserved to be loved and have a forever home. However, if you purchase a dog from a pet store you are contributing to the pain and suffering of many, many dogs in the puppy mill breeding program ... both parents and puppies. It's a hard choice to leave a cute puppy at the pet store but if the stores didn't sell the puppies they wouldn't buy them from the puppy mills.

We recently tried to adopt from a rescue group and they said we were rejected due to our "vetting history." I asked what the problem was since our dogs are always up to date on all vaccinations, are chipped, and groomed regularly. The reason...our dog had 2 ear infections in 3 years. Infections they knew about because we immediately took him in to be treated. Ummm...no thanks. I'll buy the dog I want and not have to be screened by some sanctimonious moron.
Ugh. I've also had a problem with an overzealous rescue. We don't have a fenced in back yard which is an automatic "no" for many of them.

If you're in the market for a dog, I would look into breeders instead. I found mine through my state's breed clubs. My poodle was bred for both confirmation and agility, but she was considered "pet quality" while other of her litter mates were kept to train and perhaps breed. You can also look at online for hobby or backyard breeders. I'm not a huge fan of them because I don't completely trust the motivation behind breeding the dogs but at least the breeding stock is usually treated well and the puppies are usually healthy.

Last edited:
We actually like the backyard breeders best, particularly family breeders. The dogs are good quality and have been socialized since day one. We just got a brother and sister and the breeder was very particular in who she sold to. It was not about the money

I know I'm not supposed to buy pets from stores or breeders.

But why do shelters make it such a pain in the butt to adopt a dog sometimes? Got to fill out an application and wait a week? Seriously? And there's a adoption fee that can be equivalent to buying a dog from a breeder, depending on the animal.

If shelters want their animals adopted, it should be less of a hassle.

But why do shelters make it such a pain in the butt to adopt a dog sometimes? Got to fill out an application and wait a week? Seriously? And there's a adoption fee that can be equivalent to buying a dog from a breeder, depending on the animal.

I probably should not say this but often people who work in adoption places are a little whacky. My wife worked in HR in a city who had one and they had constant problems, forever with the volunteers.

We have purchased fish and reptiles from pet stores but not dogs or cats. We have looked at cats that the pet store was promoting from the local pet shelter, but instead purchased directly from the shelter.

One of my close friends works for the Humane Society. I've never seen an adoption fee that was remotely close to that of a breeder. She is in San Diego (a more expensive city) and their puppy adoption rate is $195. That might sound expensive for an adoption, but pet stores easily charge $600+ and private breeders upwards of $1,000. After 6 months old, the price at the shelter goes down dramatically, as the demand for older animals also goes down. That adoption fee just barely enables them to scrape by. They provide so much free medical care (microchip, vaccinations, spay/neuter, and they typically include your first wellness exam for free). A few times a year they also do free adoption events for older animals, so they lose a ton on those types of transactions (but worth it to get those senior animals adopted). Plus you have to actually pay your staff to care for the animals. Trust me, the shelter isn't just sitting back drinking champagne and eating caviar with your adoption fees.

It’s that way because their primary concern isn’t getting the dogs out the door, it’s making sure that they remain in the homes where they are adopted. If you have huge percentages of dogs being returned, you’re going to become more hesitant to adopt them out to people who seem irresponsible, uneducated, or more prone to whatever reasons for return are most often given.

To address some of your specific concerns:

I don’t know any rescues that have a purposeful waiting period (some just take a while to coordinate everything with volunteers and fosters), but unless you’re making a completely impulsive decision (which you’re likely to regret) I can’t see any harm in having a week to think it over.

Even if the amount of money is the same, there’s a huge difference to me between an adoption fee and a purchase price from a backyard breeder or puppy mill. Most of the purchase price is profit. Adoption fees , on the other hand, never cover the actual cost of what is spent on the dogs: medical care, vaccinations, spay/neuter surgery, food, housing, transport, etc.

All our pets stores only have rescue animals available for adoption. Big chain or local pet shops. All are paired up with one of the rescue groups and the pets there are usually only there during operating hours and taken back by the rescue group while closed.

We've bought fish and a guinea pig from a pet store, but adopted our two cats from a shelter. I do prefer to rescue if possible.

I obtained two cats about 4 years ago, and the one was a kitten in a pet store. In theory I am against it as you are supporting a business which can be cruel to animals. However, I tried two animal welfare organizations and one denied me because I did not have a history of taking my cats to the vet every year (I had two who had died the month prior). So to the next organization ( I am not proud of this in hindsight); I said I had never had one before, and they indicated to adopt to me they needed a long list of requirements such as references, home visits, and a credit check. I get a lot of people get pets and don't take care of them but that's ridiculous!!!

In frustration I went to a horrible pet store and got the cat on the right. The surgery coordinator at the vet (when I took Huey to get fixed), runs a rescue organization and through her I got Bobby (the cat on the left).

To anyone who is adamantly, vehemently opposed to getting an animal from a pet store, I say look at the below picture and pick which one is from a rescue and which one is from a store. I understand the sentiment, but a loving home is equally needed in both situations.

upload_2018-1-22_15-35-32.png

I obtained two cats about 4 years ago, and the one was a kitten in a pet store. In theory I am against it as you are supporting a business which can be cruel to animals. However, I tried two animal welfare organizations and one denied me because I did not have a history of taking my cats to the vet every year (I had two who had died the month prior). So to the next organization ( I am not proud of this in hindsight); I said I had never had one before, and they indicated to adopt to me they needed a long list of requirements such as references, home visits, and a credit check. I get a lot of people get pets and don't take care of them but that's ridiculous!!!

In frustration I went to a horrible pet store and got the cat on the right. The surgery coordinator at the vet (when I took Huey to get fixed), runs a rescue organization and through her I got Bobby (the cat on the left).

To anyone who is adamantly, vehemently opposed to getting an animal from a pet store, I say look at the below picture and pick which one is from a rescue and which one is from a store. I understand the sentiment, but a loving home is equally needed in both situations.

View attachment 297337
It isn't about how adorable they are. And yours certainly are. It's about drying up the demand from puppy mills.

I would be very put off by your experience with the animal welfare organizations though. That's not as big of an issue around here thankfully. I still don't understand. I mean, I get putting a high value on visiting the vet regularly and having standards for caring for their rescue animals. But if they don't have a track record of adopting them all out, what's the alternative? Putting a bunch of them down? Is it better to be put down than to be in a loving home that maybe can't afford to take a pet to the vet as often for well care? (No excuse for not vaccinating and fixing though).

As long as large quantities of animals continue to be put down at shelters, I will continue to have a visceral reaction to the ambitious standards some of these organizations set.

Just as an FYI though, there are other options. We told our vet when we were ready for a new pet and said we wanted a rescue of some sort. He advised against going to the shelter at that time (he was involved in caring for pets there). He said the incidence of feline herpes was too high. He suggested finding one from an individual. We checked Craig's list and found a rescue on the outskirts of town in a rural area. He came with several parasitic issues, which we addressed. But no feline herpes (which could have been passed to our other cats). He came from a terrible situation, but has turned out to be a great cat. And we got the satisfaction of "saving" one.

Last edited:

This is a whole different can of worms. Most don't blink an eye at taking their dog to the vet every year, but then assume that their cats don't require/deserve the same treatment. Cats require wellness checks, dental care, vaccinations etc. just like dogs do.

Just as an FYI though, there are other options. We told our vet when we were ready for a new pet and said we wanted a rescue of some sort. He advised against going to the shelter at that time (he was involved in caring for pets there). He said the incidence of feline herpes was too high. He suggested finding on from an individual. We checked Craig's list and found a rescue on the outskirts of town in a rural area. He came with several parasitic issues, which we addressed. But no feline herpes (which could have been passed to our other cats). He came from a terrible situation, but has turned out to be a great cat. And we got the satisfaction of "saving" one.

I think at the time I was really upset because my one cat Lulu, had to be put down with a spinal tumor, and then Buddy stopped eating and developed all these tumors in his intestines and had to put down a few weeks later. Therefore I did not look into my options like I should have!! Fortunately, Bobby, the brown cat, came from a rescue suggested by the Vet, and asking the Vet would have been the mature and measured response.

Asking the Vet (like you did), is a really great option!

This is a whole different can of worms. Most don't blink an eye at taking their dog to the vet every year, but then assume that their cats don't require/deserve the same treatment. Cats require wellness checks, dental care, vaccinations etc. just like dogs do.

Agreed!! I now take them every year!

I think at the time I was really upset because my one cat Lulu, had to be put down with a spinal tumor, and then Buddy stopped eating and developed all these tumors in his intestines and had to put down a few weeks later. Therefore I did not look into my options like I should have!! Fortunately, Bobby, the brown cat, came from a rescue suggested by the Vet, and asking the Vet would have been the mature and measured response.

Asking the Vet (like you did), is a really great option!
I totally understand. We lost 2 cats (neither was elderly) within a couple months a a few years ago. It was really a sad time at our house. It really perked things up when we added the new kitten the following summer.

As long as large quantities of animals continue to be put down at shelters, I will continue to have a visceral reaction to the ambitious standards some of these organizations set.

In my experience, it tends to be rescues that have more stringent adoption policies, not shelters. They do not put down unadopted animals. Most live in foster homes or the rescue will just keep them indefinitely until the right home is found. I have met dogs that have been in a rescue for 5-10 years. So it’s not really an “either give them away or put them down” scenario.

I think their mindset may actually be more similar to yours— that if they adopt the dogs out to just anyone they will have a greater chance of being dumped at a shelter (and likely put down).

I disagree. My cats are 100% inside. They’ve all lived to be 17-18 years old so far. I currently have an 18 yr old & 14 yr old. I don’t take them annually. I take them as needed & every couple/few years. I don’t want them vaccinated annually. I only do that for my dogs b/c of their exposure & to get heartworm meds. I’ve had cats (and dogs) checked for wellness checks that included bloodwork that died a month or 2 later. In those cases they had cancer & the exam & bloodwork didn’t catch it b/c they weren’t clinical. I know there are other things to check for, but, I’m very in tuned with with their eating, drinking, behavior & bathroom habits so if I notice any change, I take them in. I’m also capable of checking their teeth & know what it look for. I’ve only had one cat who needed a dental over the years. Plus he main reason I don’t, is it tends to freak cats out so much more. It’s such a stressful event for them.

I'm vehemently against puppy stores. There are two in my area that are notorious for selling sick dogs. Sometimes I would pop in there just to look at the puppies (never to buy), but the last time I was in there the condition of the puppies was just too sad. I've read online that they will dodge the question of the origin of their puppies. If you are not familiar with puppy mills... look them up. Every time you purchase an animal from one of these stores it keeps these horrific farms in business.

It is saddening that some rescues have intense vetting systems. We have two shelters in my area (one is a non-profit, the other run by the county), and neither are particularly strict. The county-run shelter charges $55 for dogs and $40 for cats.. and they run so many specials you can get an animal for like $5-20 and sometimes even for free. I know this varies in different areas, but please look into rescuing rather than buying from a pet store. If you want a pure bred dog, find a reputable breeder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter