Are you for or against buying a pet from a pet store?

I have purchased 2 dogs and 4 cats from breeders and one dog is adopted from the shelter.

My first dog was a Japanese Akita and the breed had just started to take off in popularity (OJ Simpson's wife Nicole's dog was an Akita) and I wanted to make sure that I bought a well bred dog and not a backyard "pure bred". My dog's parents were both tested and the father was an AKC champion. She lived to be 16 years old. I realized part way through those 16 years that I was terribly allergic to the dog (double-coat, shedding all the time) and I also developed more of an allergy to my DSH cat who also eventually crossed the rainbow bridge.

I love cats, so I researched breeds that were good for people with allergies and found out about Japanese Bobtails which are a pretty rare breed. My allergies are much better with JBTs and my last 4 cats are all JBTs purchased from breeders ... all but one as adults. My last two (who are still alive) are both former champions. It is nearly impossible to find JBTs in shelters. JBTs are doglike cats, very affectionate. They are fun and athletic animals smf they seem to stay young. And they have the cutest little tails!

When we were ready for another dog after my Akita died, I knew we wanted a Standard Poodle for my health. They are pretty much a dime a dozen and backyard breeders don't give a crap about the health of the animals as long as they can say they are "purebred AKC". I again did my research and purchased a puppy from a reputable breeder and made sure that both parents were extensively tested for traits that could be passed onto the puppies. My poodle's mom and dad were both confirmation champions and the dad was also an agility champion. My poodle's a great dog. She's beautiful and sweet and everyone who meets her loves her.

I adopted a "little white rat dog" from the shelter about 4 years ago. We think he might be a malti-poo but I really have no idea. He's a great little dog and a real clown. I have had no health issues with him from his crappy breeding (knock wood).

I would NEVER buy a dog from a pet store. Ever. I believe that purchasing dogs from pet stores is the same as purchasing dogs from a puppy mill and I can't support that. I *have* been tempted to buy a cat from a local pet store that places local litters. They allow the kittens to have free range of the store and I have cuddled some incredibly affectionate kittens more than once and wanted to bring them home. I don't because I am afraid that I would develop allergies to the cat which would be terrible ... plus I have a 2-cat limit.

I agree & I commend those who do it. It’s just not for me...at least with dogs. I’ve never actually adopted or bought a kitten or a cat. I always find them. My current 14 yr old cat I found in my car engine when he was 6 weeks old. My other 18 yr old cat I inherited when my dad passed away last yr, but he found her himself when she was probably 5 weeks old.

To your credit, dogs are much more demanding which I why I don’t have one, my schedule just isn’t fair to a dog. A cat with a behavioral problem just results in some scratches from time to time, but a dog is much tougher. I firmly believe that any behavior can be addressed, but some behaviors would take hours a day of intensive training to correct and the average person doesn’t have that kind of time.

I wouldn't buy a dog or cat from a pet store but that isn't the same as a breeder.

Our dog is from a very responsible breeder who breeds 1 litter every 18 months to 2 years. She keeps 1 puppy to show and mate and sells the remaining ones.

I have to say it's been years since I've seen dogs and cats for sale in NJ pet stores.

We paid $130 for our cat (when he was a kitten, adult cats were less) from the rescue/shelter but that did come with neutering, initial round of shots, and a free follow up vet visit from a list of local vets. When we took him in to get his booster shots that visit alone would have cost $55 then you add on the cost of the shots but because of that voucher it was free. We felt $130 was worth it in that situation.

I do know that some places do microchipping included vs a follow of vet visit (though some may even do both).

Yes, different rescues include different things in their adoption fee (spay/neuter and microchip are pretty standard now). Personally, I have no issue paying it because it’s really a donation to the rescue. I have heard many people complain about how much the dogs “cost” and they just look for the places with the cheapest fees, but in my experience the fees don’t even cover the cost of caring for the dogs they take in.

Most rescues I know ask about $250 for a dog. You can adopt from a shelter for around $150, but they don’t have the same expenses that rescues do and they don’t know the dogs well enough to make a proper match in my opinion. Our greyhound was $350, but they also have a dental done so that’s why the fee is higher.

Puppies in stores need homes and love just as much as any other dog. We recently tried to adopt from a rescue group and they said we were rejected due to our "vetting history." I asked what the problem was since our dogs are always up to date on all vaccinations, are chipped, and groomed regularly. The reason...our dog had 2 ear infections in 3 years. Infections they knew about because we immediately took him in to be treated. Ummm...no thanks. I'll buy the dog I want and not have to be screened by some sanctimonious moron.

We got our dog from a rescue that uses pet stores on the weekends to showcase their pets. You have to have an approved application to pick-up a pet, but you can fill out an application and wait for approval. Their fee is $200 but it includes spay/neuter, microchip, all shots, first couple of months of heartworm and flea meds and a dental. This is the only way I would get a pet shop pet.

Always adopted though our last dog fashions we bought from a friend who had a litter. If I did not adopt I would only buy from a breaded, one that I could visit first. I would not want to support an industry is doing what puppy mills do.

I do have an issue with North Shore. I adopted a dog from them and it had problems. I had a two year old and a 6 year old and was afraid for them and their friends safety. They would not take the dog back, I wasn't asking for my money back just was afraid to have dog in the house.

I wasn't aware that pet stores still sold dogs and cats - they don't do it where I live. You can get an animal from animal control, from a rescue, or from a breeder.

We've done a mix - we've adopted two labs from lab rescues, and just got a lab puppy from a breeder a few weeks ago. Our next dog will probably be from a rescue from our local lab rescue. We've tried to adopt from our local animal control and SPCA, but unfortunately about 90% of the animals there are pit bulls or pit bull mixes, which our homeowner's insurance prohibits. Plus, I just really like labs.

Puppies in stores need homes and love just as much as any other dog. We recently tried to adopt from a rescue group and they said we were rejected due to our "vetting history." I asked what the problem was since our dogs are always up to date on all vaccinations, are chipped, and groomed regularly. The reason...our dog had 2 ear infections in 3 years. Infections they knew about because we immediately took him in to be treated. Ummm...no thanks. I'll buy the dog I want and not have to be screened by some sanctimonious moron.
I always say that about dogs I’ve gotten from breeders too. I understand the idea that if pp stop buying them maybe they’ll stop breeding. But, the puppies I’ve gotten & paid for were already born. I didn’t breed to get them. So, I still gave them great homes even if I didn’t “rescue” them. Not everyone is a great pet owner whether they pay for a dog or rescue it.

Very much against it. We always rescue. In the short term yes, if people stop buying pets from pet stores (dogs and cats specifically) then a number of them will have to be euthanized but in the long term if no one is buying the puppy mill dogs there will be no incentive to breed them. Considering the high number of pets in shelters that are being euthanized I'd rather shift those out of the shelters and into the puppy mills for the long term betterment of society. YMMV.

I haven’t worked with cats in a while other than my own which are just domestic short hairs. But, I forgot about Ragdolls. I always loved them for the reasons you said! And I actually found bengals to be aggressive. Maybe it’s been my experience b/c I’ve never owned a cat breed like I have dog breeds so while I saw those characteristics you mentioned, it was brief & didn’t stick with me b/c it wasn’t my cat.
Understandable. Most people who go to a rescue or shelter (unless the rescue is for a specific breed) aren't looking for this breed or that breed of cat;we certaintly didn't. But cat breeds are just like dog breeds. It could be though that cats on average take longer to warm up IDK just thinking out loud.

One interesting thing I found out about cats a while ago is over time owners are usually able to distinguish cat meows and purrs and what the cat wants. But if you put that same cat owner with a cat that isn't theirs they lose that ability to distinguish what they want. IDk just a random factoid that I found interesting.

I am 100% against buying puppies from a pet store, I think it should be illegal everywhere. It’s financially supporting cruelty to animals. I feel the same about backyard breeders, I’d never financially support those who just breed two animals for profit. I have no issue with professional breeders who responsibly breed dogs for specific purposes, police dogs, hunting dogs, even show dogs.

You do know they are making money also.

Kae

Understandable. Most people who go to a rescue or shelter (unless the rescue is for a specific breed) aren't looking for this breed or that breed of cat;we certaintly didn't. But cat breeds are just like dog breeds. It could be though that cats on average take longer to warm up IDK just thinking out loud.

One interesting thing I found out about cats a while ago is over time owners are usually able to distinguish cat meows and purrs and what the cat wants. But if you put that same cat owner with a cat that isn't theirs they lose that ability to distinguish what they want. IDk just a random factoid that I found interesting.
I completely agree on meows. I can definitely tell & I can tell which cat. I can also tell with my dogs what kind of bark/growl/whine it is. I can even tell what kind of threat they think they see like a person or another animal outside. The bark/growls are different.

Kae
And I buy my dogs from ppl who breed for hunting &/or show but never hunt or show my dogs. I just like the quality so prefer those breeders. Is that ok then?

Very much against it. We always rescue. In the short term yes, if people stop buying pets from pet stores (dogs and cats specifically) then a number of them will have to be euthanized but in the long term if no one is buying the puppy mill dogs there will be no incentive to breed them. Considering the high number of pets in shelters that are being euthanized I'd rather shift those out of the shelters and into the puppy mills for the long term betterment of society. YMMV.
The thing is many breeds have unique temperaments, grooming requirements, size/looks, etc from each other & that’s something you can’t always know or pick with a shelter dog. Different breeds appeal to different ppl for different reasons. You can’t get that with a mixed dog as much. My sister adopted a young “beagle mix”. He was about 5 mos so not a little puppy & just a black dog so he was not easily adoptable. Well, she ended up with more of a Great Dane mix (oh & with major anxiety issues). She loves him, of course, but he is a lot of work. Meanwhile, I have a very calm Golden who is only 7 mos that I bought from a very reputable breeder who’s dogs are know for their laid back temperaments. I think the bigger issue is not that ppl don’t adopt, it’s how dogs end up in shelters in the first place...not spaying/neutering & ppl buying pets they have no business having. I cannot imagine dumping my dog at a shelter b/c he was trouble no more than I could bring my son to the firehouse or other safe haven.

Kae

I think you’re missing the point. The “making money” aspect is not what people have an issue with. The abuse, deplorable conditions, and genetic problems are the reasons why people don’t want to support irresponsible breeding in puppy mills.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone being paid as long as they are doing it in an ethical manner.

I don't have any near future plans to obtain any more animals but I have found a rescue for the specific breed I currently have and when the time comes to get another one I will go to them instead of a breeder (which I did before).
Our elderly cat was a rescue and the newest additions came from a friend of my dd whose barn cat had kittens.
I would rescue again or find a private individual that needed homes for any kittens their cat had.

The thing is many breeds have unique temperaments, grooming requirements, size/looks, etc from each other & that’s something you can’t always know or pick with a shelter dog. Different breeds appeal to different ppl for different reasons. You can’t get that with a mixed dog as much. My sister adopted a young “beagle mix”. He was about 5 mos so not a little puppy & just a black dog so he was not easily adoptable. Well, she ended up with more of a Great Dane mix (oh & with major anxiety issues). She loves him, of course, but he is a lot of work. Meanwhile, I have a very calm Golden who is only 7 mos that I bought from a very reputable breeder who’s dogs are know for their laid back temperaments. I think the bigger issue is not that ppl don’t adopt, it’s how dogs end up in shelters in the first place...not spaying/neutering & ppl buying pets they have no business having. I cannot imagine dumping my dog at a shelter b/c he was trouble no more than I could bring my son to the firehouse or other safe haven.

I'm not against going to an accredited breeder, just against puppy mills and pet shop dogs. I don't put them in the same category. We personally only rescue though.

I'm not against going to an accredited breeder, just against puppy mills and pet shop dogs. I don't put them in the same category. We personally only rescue though.
I’m with you on that. I definitely only use reputable breeders & do crazy research!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter