Are you an alcohol snob?

A lot of Kirkland brand stuff is made by the name brand companies and just packaged different for Costco.
Yes, but if one was a brand snob that probably wouldn't do. I can't tell the difference between things I mix with other stuff.

DH likes Scotch and some Irish whiskeys and he is more particular about brands. If you're drinking it straight I think it matters more.

Nah, I like the cheap stuff. I don’t drink beer now, but I learned to tolerate it in college. PBR or Miller Lite tasted good to me. “Better” stuff like St.Pauli Girl or Molson was putrid.

I don't get the smugness about not drinking a mass-produced American adjunct lager like Bud or Miller. I've talked to many people active in the beer industry, and they are extremely well made products. They're generally inoffensive and are good for everyday drinking. Frankly a lot of lagers and pilsners like Stella Artois, Heineken, etc. are mildly stronger tasting.

But in terms of what I like when I actually want a stronger tasting brew - I consider Blind Pig from Russian River Brewing to be my perfect beer. It's not quite a double IPA (it's 6.25% ABV) but I think it balances flavor with drinkability. When I was out with my dad, I suggested that for him rather than Pliny the Elder because it wasn't quite as big a punch.

bling-pig-bottle2.png

I don't get the smugness about not drinking a mass-produced American adjunct lager like Bud or Miller. I've talked to many people active in the beer industry, and they are extremely well made products. They're generally inoffensive and are good for everyday drinking. Frankly a lot of lagers and pilsners like Stella Artois, Heineken, etc. are mildly stronger tasting.

But in terms of what I like when I actually want a stronger tasting brew - I consider Blind Pig from Russian River Brewing to be my perfect beer. It's not quite a double IPA (it's 6.25% ABV) but I think it balances flavor with drinkability. When I was out with my dad, I suggested that for him rather than Pliny the Elder because it wasn't quite as big a punch.

bling-pig-bottle2.png
Because they have no taste? I want something stronger than inoffensive water when I drink beer, even my every day beer.

Perhaps they're good for teenagers who want to drink 12 and get drunk.

Because they have no taste? I want something stronger than inoffensive water when I drink beer, even my every day beer.

My daughter brought me a PBR that was left over from a BBQ she went to. She said she didn't think I would like it. I tried it and asked her why she didn't think I would like it, it tasted like water.

The difference between preferring something and being a snob is that a snob would refuse to drink it just because it isn't their "brand." I prefer craft beers (Pilsners, Hefe's, Belgians, Stouts, Porters, etc) but if I was at a party and they only had Coors Light, I would still drink it.

They’re excellent beers in their category.

Here’s a tongue in cheek look at the difference between a beer snob and a beer lover.

So what does this all mean you ask? I don't want to be a Beer Snob you say. How do I avoid being a Beer Snob you ponder?​
Well here are some simple rules to follow:
Never:​
  • Say a beer tastes bad.
  • Complain if the service is slow.
  • Look down upon someone buying a beer that you don't like.
  • Sniff a beer in public.
  • Tell someone you have a great palate.
  • Wear a cardigan.
Always:​
  • Offer a friend a taste.
  • Practice Beer Karma. (buy a round for your friend)
  • Learn something new about beer.
  • Ask people what their favorite beer is.
  • Finish your beer. (Mom says “it's just polite”)
  • Try something new.
  • Tip well. (Dollar a beer is good)
  • Say Cheers.
There you go, instead of being a Beer Snob now you are a Beer Lover, and trust me everyone loves to hang out with people who love beer. Being that guy that everyone wants to have a beer with is easy, just be a good person and try not to break the rules so often, trust me it is a lot better than getting physically abused by your girlfriend.​

I learned not to drink cheap rum... I'll always request Barcardi (though I'm open to other rum - just not cheap, bottom shelf stuff). Other than that, I'm open to trying most anything.
Have you tried Flor de Caña rum? It’s my favorite. It has a buttery toffee flavor and makes the best Cuba Libres and Mojitos.

Yeah I agree. They just don't taste good. They taste like slightly flavored water. If I want a beer, I want one that has a good, strong taste.

A lot of Kirkland brand stuff is made by the name brand companies and just packaged different for Costco.
I've had the Kirkland tequila blanco and it's not bad. It makes a decent margarita and is ok for sipping although it's not my go to (I just bought a bottle of LaLo tequila which is very good). I'd be curious how the Costco gin and vodka are....

I've had the Kirkland tequila blanco and it's not bad. It makes a decent margarita and is ok for sipping although it's not my go to (I just bought a bottle of LaLo tequila which is very good). I'd be curious how the Costco gin and vodka are....
Their vodka supposedly rivals Grey Goose. I'm not a big vodka drinker, though, so I haven't tried it yet. I do get the Costco spiced rum and cases of their prosecco, though.

Their vodka supposedly rivals Grey Goose. I'm not a big vodka drinker, though, so I haven't tried it yet. I do get the Costco spiced rum and cases of their prosecco, though.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I have GG and GG Citron on my bar right now. I'd like to try the spiced rum. I currently drink Kraken gold spiced which is pretty good.

It depends. I'm a true vodka snob as I will only drink Polish, French or Ukrainian vodka and will turn down anything else (don't even mention Titos). I also tend to prefer German brandy. So I guess I am a booze snob.
I don’t drink a lot of vodka but my go to is a polish vodka made from rye. The name escapes me but I’m too comfortable drinking my Woodfords to get up and look.

As PP stated Costco puts their label on other brands. I’m pretty certain that Kirkland vodka is produced by Grey Goose

$2 Charles Shaw at Trader Joe's - that's the infamous "Two Buck Chuck" that has won some serious awards in its time. Think it's three bucks now.

Me, I'm pretty catholic in my alcohol tastes. I know what I like and am pretty much just focused on whisky nowadays. And what a time to be alive - the explosion of varietals, options, flavours, etc is astounding, even overwhelming. It is truly a global phenomenon, and led in some ways by Asia.

And they don't have to be pricey to be good. The Dickel Bottled in Bond that came out a few years ago just blew my socks off; at $40 it was actually picked by Whisky Advocate as the best in the world that year, and quickly became impossible to get. They've released more years of this since that are easier to find, and although perhaps not as amazing as the first, still fantastic.

Best thing I ever drank was a Yamazaki 18 from about 2008 I think. Unbelievably complex - like drinking a work of art. Have given up ever getting my hands on another one of those.

And I will happily drink an ice cold Bud in our hotel room with my wife after a long, hot day at a Disney Park. So there.

$2 Charles Shaw at Trader Joe's - that's the infamous "Two Buck Chuck" that has won some serious awards in its time. Think it's three bucks now.

Me, I'm pretty catholic in my alcohol tastes. I know what I like and am pretty much just focused on whisky nowadays. And what a time to be alive - the explosion of varietals, options, flavours, etc is astounding, even overwhelming. It is truly a global phenomenon, and led in some ways by Asia.

And they don't have to be pricey to be good. The Dickel Bottled in Bond that came out a few years ago just blew my socks off; at $40 it was actually picked by Whisky Advocate as the best in the world that year, and quickly became impossible to get. They've released more years of this since that are easier to find, and although perhaps not as amazing as the first, still fantastic.

Best thing I ever drank was a Yamazaki 18 from about 2008 I think. Unbelievably complex - like drinking a work of art. Have given up ever getting my hands on another one of those.

And I will happily drink an ice cold Bud in our hotel room with my wife after a long, hot day at a Disney Park. So there.

Sure. There’s nothing wrong with that.

One of my favorites was Tomatin 12 single malt Scotch when it came in faceted bottles with the unique Italian plastic screw top. It had this taste almost like a fine Cognac. I could also find it at Trader Joe’s for $17.

I don’t drink a lot of vodka but my go to is a polish vodka made from rye. The name escapes me but I’m too comfortable drinking my Woodfords to get up and look.

I rather like Polish style potato vodka. Monopolowa is pretty good. It has a rather slick feel and is dirt cheap. Interesting that it’s made under license in Austria.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter