Anyone affected by the Federal Government shut down?

Despite my husband being affected, I think the first thing that will probably affect us is my favorite Thai restaurant closing. They are kind of on the edge and if everyone in my military/DOD community stops spending, even for a few weeks, they will probably go under.

In my organization of 100 people, only two people are named "essential" to work. As essential employees, they are actually prohibited from doing work that is deemed non-critical. So while they will be in the office tomorrow working, they can only work on things that assist in keeping the "bones" of government working. Since it is DoD that I work for they will only be able to perform actions that will maintain safety and support for the military. All other actions such as continuing to build new weapons, routine maintenance, etc are stopped. They are just there to push the buttons to ensure the bare minimum of safety and defense.

I imagine this is the same in all agencies. If you don't really understand the real meanings between essential and non-essential then you have zero clue of what your government does AT ALL. I guess then, you naively believe, that my organization can run with two people. Honestly.

I also have to ask: where do you live? Try living in NYC, Los Angeles, Washington DC, or any other like cities on $80,000 and then have it stopped. Indiana? Yep, I agree with you.

Bill collectors, in the above mentioned cities don't live in a bubble and if you can't pay your bills due to factors outside of your control, will generally work with you. It's important that you already had a history of on time payments though. I used to get mentally annoyed at deadbeats who worked their way up the office chain ( 2 people up, LOL) to speak directly with me with no legs to stand on so to speak.

As well in some jurisdictions (NYC for example) if a landlord/ tenant case went to court there are specific laws that prevented a landlord from evicting a household with an active member in the armed forces with ease.

In my organization of 100 people, only two people are named "essential" to work. As essential employees, they are actually prohibited from doing work that is deemed non-critical. So while they will be in the office tomorrow working, they can only work on things that assist in keeping the "bones" of government working. Since it is DoD that I work for they will only be able to perform actions that will maintain safety and support for the military. All other actions such as continuing to build new weapons, routine maintenance, etc are stopped. They are just there to push the buttons to ensure the bare minimum of safety and defense.

I imagine this is the same in all agencies. If you don't really understand the real meanings between essential and non-essential then you have zero clue of what your government does AT ALL. I guess then, you naively believe, that my organization can run with two people. Honestly.

I also have to ask: where do you live? Try living in NYC, Los Angeles, Washington DC, or any other like cities on $80,000 and then have it stopped. Indiana? Yep, I agree with you.
While I wasn't really referring to them, as there are hundreds of .gov agencies, I have to Lol, DOD doesn't "build weapons", private companies do that but tell me again how I don't clue as to what my government does.

I live in one of the most expensive regions in the country, Chicago is ranked 7th most expensive... in the world. I just happen to live on the free side of the IN/IL state line.

The $80k, which I just looked and that was the average from about 10 years ago so I'm way behind, it's $112,000 for the DC average for Federal employees and doesn't even include the $40,000 in annual benefits the rest of us mere mortals in the private sector don't get. You know, like having to worry about health insurance or life insurance or fancy pensions. So yeah, That $125,000 average in annual compensation is a bit juicer than the US average of $73,298. Don't just assume because I have a well paying position now I've always been well off.

Despite my husband being affected, I think the first thing that will probably affect us is my favorite Thai restaurant closing. They are kind of on the edge and if everyone in my military/DOD community stops spending, even for a few weeks, they will probably go under.

See, this is to me, the saddest part. I have savings, I'll be fine, even if Congress decides not to give federal employees back pay, which they usually do. But restaurants and other small businesses like this? It's just a loss. For no reason. And many of them will lose their jobs, lose their businesses, because of these stupid stupid games.

I have no direct impact as long as my passport renewal isn't delayed but we have a lot of customers that are federal employees and while they are pretty much all at an income level that should mean they aren't living paycheck to paycheck if the shutdown goes past a few weeks we may start to see a temporary bottom line hit which will affect our operating budget or at least move some stuff around.

Like just about everyone I'm sure I'll be indirectly impacted in some way or another.

Last edited:
If it's like it was in 2013, the civilians in my section will be deemed non-essential, so our staff will be cut by 50%, unable to continue normal operations. Military will remain and handle urgent matters only. We civilians will do what we can tomorrow morning to tie up unfinished business, transfer pending matters to military and then be required to go home.

For those people who claim to be not affected, I'm happy that you're such a billionaire.

For everyone else - I am so sorry that this is happening.

If this adversely impacts fellow Americans, it adversely impacts me. And if some people can't understand that, well - there's nothing I can say here to expound on that.

For those people who claim to be not affected, I'm happy that you're such a billionaire.

For everyone else - I am so sorry that this is happening.

If this adversely impacts fellow Americans, it adversely impacts me. And if some people can't understand that, well - there's nothing I can say here to expound on that.

I'm sorry that people will be affected by this but I can't imagine feeling impacted by every thing that impacts other Americans. I don't think I'd be able to get up in the morning.

I can feel empathy for others without allowing their pain to impact my life. How would that help anyone?

DH is going to work...I expect him back before noon unless something happens to fund the government before that.

While I wasn't really referring to them, as there are hundreds of .gov agencies, I have to Lol, DOD doesn't "build weapons", private companies do that but tell me again how I don't clue as to what my government does.

I live in one of the most expensive regions in the country, Chicago is ranked 7th most expensive... in the world. I just happen to live on the free side of the IN/IL state line.

The $80k, which I just looked and that was the average from about 10 years ago so I'm way behind, it's $112,000 for the DC average for Federal employees and doesn't even include the $40,000 in annual benefits the rest of us mere mortals in the private sector don't get. You know, like having to worry about health insurance or life insurance or fancy pensions. So yeah, That $125,000 average in annual compensation is a bit juicer than the US average of $73,298. Don't just assume because I have a well paying position now I've always been well off.

Your post is full of partisan talking points. Full. By the way, I worked private sector for 20 years. If you don't like it, get a government job. You sound bitter.

Yes contractors build weapons systems, but we have quite a few hundred government engineers and wrench turners at the shipyards and facilities that also do this along side of them, and to a large degree, oversee what they are doing. So, I'd say you might be uniformed a bit.

If it's like it was in 2013, the civilians in my section will be deemed non-essential, so our staff will be cut by 50%, unable to continue normal operations. Military will remain and handle urgent matters only. We civilians will do what we can tomorrow morning to tie up unfinished business, transfer pending matters to military and then be required to go home.

It will be fine. You know, they don't really need you anyway. :sad2:

My cousin and her husband are both in the Navy and are unsure what will happen with their pay. Plus they are scheduled to relocate across the country in two weeks. So needless to say that're starting to panic about that, as the Navy is picking up the tab for relocation.

My cousin and her husband are both in the Navy and are unsure what will happen with their pay. Plus they are scheduled to relocate across the country in two weeks. So needless to say that're starting to panic about that, as the Navy is picking up the tab for relocation.

Yeah, people PCSing (moving) during this are kind of screwed. Their movers have likely already been paid since it's contracted out, but they will have to pay out of pocket for all their expenses related to moving and will likely see quite a delay in getting those monies reimbursed. I feel for them.

Yeah, people PCSing (moving) during this are kind of screwed. Their movers have likely already been paid since it's contracted out, but they will have to pay out of pocket for all their expenses related to moving and will likely see quite a delay in getting those monies reimbursed. I feel for them.

When I talked with my cousin yesterday they were stressed, but thankful that her inlaws have already jumped in to help them with the relocation process.

I think its ridiculous that this is even allowed to happen. There should be some kind of fail-safe clause to avoid these total shutdowns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter