Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

We are expecting another big T-storm again this afternoon. I'm so tired, and sick of it AND sick, and tired of it too!

I've attempted a container of starter plants 3x's now! (Hail decimated one time) this is the best thus far.

We are expecting another big T-storm again this afternoon. I'm so tired, and sick of it AND sick, and tired of it too!

I've attempted a container of starter plants 3x's now! (Hail decimated one time) this is the best thus far.

IMG_00000229.jpg

There are tomatoe plants in there too, thought I'd give them each other's comfort this attempt. I hope they don't get separation anxiety.. 'cause it' s time to plant them real soon.

Sorry it took so long to get a picture. I was over come with the oppressive heat, and had to sit down for a spell with this guy!

IMG_00000234.jpg

Last edited:
We were hit hard by hail back in April. The roof is done, they finally replaced the gutters last week but we're still waiting to have some window screens repaired.
It does get old when the weather continues to aggravate the damage further.

I think I have a possum living in my roof.
Bummer. :sad2: I had a skunk under my porch two summers ago. Where do you stand on killing things? I had a hilarious exchange with a customer today. They called because there is apparently a random electrical conduit under their deck and the penetration in through the siding is a large enough opening that wasps have gotten into their wall. They want the wasps gone but not exterminated - they are Jew-Bu's (apparently some fusion of Jewish and Buddhists) and they don't believe in killing. I told them they basically had two choices that I could think of - kill them or don't kill them. Just politely asking them to leave was likely not an option. :rotfl2:

If it's a possum I'll have to call the possum catcher as they're protected.
But I just heard movement (4pm) so might throw some ratsak up there. If it's a rat it can die ;)

If it's a possum I'll have to call the possum catcher as they're protected.
But I just heard movement (4pm) so might throw some ratsak up there. If it's a rat it can die ;)
Rats/possums - potatoe/potahto. There was an old saying back on the farm where I was raised: "Shoot, shovel and shut-up."

Last edited:
Not sure that I'd trade for a possum or a rat, but we get the occasional bat. In fact, I found a dead one Saturday evening; apparently my geriatric cats are good for something! I hate having a bat in the house. I KNOW they won't hurt me, fly into me, etc., but I HATE IT. Now I have to worry about whether or not to do something about the cats... or do I just ignore this?

Our former neighbors had a family of raccoons living just inside the roof. When we were upstairs in our little tv room we would see them coming & going through some small openings. They were the cutest things ever (disclosure: We once had a pet raccoon.) The neighbors did something to get rid of them and we never saw them again.

Now I have to worry about whether or not to do something about the cats.
Is your concern that the cats might get injured by the bats? Our cat is 11 years old and docile but she has instincts that can turn here into a savage:cat: She doesn't go outside much but wildlife is in danger when she does.

It's interesting that possums are protected where Jo lives, they seem to be plentiful here. Good luck with the pests--BTW I'd have NO issue killing the wasps.

Is your concern that the cats might get injured by the bats? Our cat is 11 years old and docile but she has instincts that can turn here into a savage:cat: She doesn't go outside much but wildlife is in danger when she does.

No, I'm worried about diseases and such. Our cats are strictly indoor cats. Should I worry about rabies? Should I have them quarantined? Being as the bat appeared dead on Saturday night and it's now Tuesday morning, and the cats show no sign of ill health, my guess is that they are fine, but... should I worry?

No, I'm worried about diseases and such. Our cats are strictly indoor cats. Should I worry about rabies? Should I have them quarantined? Being as the bat appeared dead on Saturday night and it's now Tuesday morning, and the cats show no sign of ill health, my guess is that they are fine, but... should I worry?

I'm assuming they've been vaccinated, so no, probably nothing to worry about.

But if it happens again, I'd put the dead bat in something safe, and call the vet to see if it should be tested. Maybe the county tracks these things or something?

the cats show no sign of ill health, my guess is that they are fine, but... should I worry?

Don't worry, maybe check with the vet to see if they are aware of any rabies issues in your area(my hunch is that it's pretty rare these days.) If you think your cats caused the demise of the bat then there probably was some exchange of blood or saliva. Your cats probably have been vaccinated for rabies which is another reason I wouldn't worry. I just did some Googling while I was typing this and my brief glimpse of the text seems to indicate that it would be more likely for your cats to get infected if the bat bit them. Maybe check your kitties to see if they have any wounds?

Rabies may be a possibility but a much more common issue for humans caused by bats is a respiratory fungal infection called histoplasmosis. It's contracted by inhaling microbes from their urine which is deposited in soil and on surfaces. It's mostly asymptomatic unless your immune system is compromised and is actually endemic in lots of North American rural populations. I was raised on a farm and we definitely had bats in our attic each summer - I could hear them at night above my room for as long as I can remember. :listen:

I was diagnosed with it after a routine chest x-ray. The lung scarring it produces showed up as "spots" that were initially thought to be tumors. That lead to a VERY scary month of tests and biopsies which blessedly did not turn out to be cancer. :scared:

Bummer. :sad2: I had a skunk under my porch two summers ago. Where do you stand on killing things? I had a hilarious exchange with a customer today. They called because there is apparently a random electrical conduit under their deck and the penetration in through the siding is a large enough opening that wasps have gotten into their wall. They want the wasps gone but not exterminated - they are Jew-Bu's (apparently some fusion of Jewish and Buddhists) and they don't believe in killing. I told them they basically had two choices that I could think of - kill them or don't kill them. Just politely asking them to leave was likely not an option. :rotfl2:

While I enjoyed your reply, I'd have enjoyed it more if you had said their beliefs dictate... Just saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter