Adult only restaurants...dare I suggest it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Bri, my faith in the parents of America is hereby renewed. You're right on with your reasonable approach to this issue that somehow eluded a few.

twojo21 said:
i would love if disney created an adults only restaurant, heck even adult only resort pools & hot tubs like on the cruise ship. couples need some quiet & romance.

Count me in as someone who enjoyed the "adults only" areas on the
Disney Magic. The irony for me was that on the other cruises I've
been on, the Disney cruise was the only time I had been able to have
the most child-free time on a ship.

While I don't think it's feasible to have the pools and hot tubs child-free,
I do think an adults-only restaurant like Palo would be great.

And I know just where I'd want it: Ariel's. ;)

BriarRosie said:
And I know just where I'd want it: Ariel's. ;)

Oooh! That would be nice. Aren't they using Ariel's for convention/wedding space now?

They would have to rename it though. My 6 year old would never forgive me if I went to a restaurant named "Ariel's" without her!

Nothing wrong with adults only, you can make it a bar (21 and up) and should be just dandy. But people, its WDW, like it or not, its all about the kids as it should be.

MissSixty said:
Nothing wrong with adults only, you can make it a bar (21 and up) and should be just dandy. But people, its WDW, like it or not, its all about the kids as it should be.

It's not all about the kids; it's all about everybody, no matter what age.

I don't want a bar; I'd like to have a restaurant. You know, a place where I can go to eat, not to drink or dance.

WillCAD said:
it's all about everybody

Exactly........Disney is for EVERYBODY. Both kids and adults- that's what the whole purpose of WDW was to begin with........ :goodvibes

WillCAD said:
It's not all about the kids; it's all about everybody, no matter what age.

I don't want a bar; I'd like to have a restaurant. You know, a place where I can go to eat, not to drink or dance.

I totally agree.

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about Disney/WDW- that it's a place for kids. The fact is plenty of adults are devoted to Disney- because they enjoy it, and something about the magic resonates with them- not just because they think it's a vacation the kids will enjoy.

If you think about how Walt came up with the idea- for Disneyland, originally- he was at the merry go round watching his daughter and sitting on a bench and he thought- there's nothing here for adults! We shouldn't just have to sit and watch. There should be some place where *everyone* can have fun- "children of all ages"- together. Walt wanted a place that had "something for everyone". He succeeded with his original plans and it gets better every year.

It's the number one honeymoon destination in America! Thousands get married in WDW. (Including me one day *hopefully!*) Tons of adults without children visit everyday. There are even a few guidebooks devoted to "Disney World without Kids".

It is most definitely a place for all ages. As it was designed. As it should be. As I love it.

MissSixty said:
But people, its WDW, like it or not, its all about the kids as it should be.
I'm curious why you think WDW *is* all about the kids, and why you think it *should* be.

salmoneous said:
I'm curious why you think WDW *is* all about the kids, and why you think it *should* be.

Walt Disney quotes:

“I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it.”

“The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together–and that’s the backbone of our whole business, catering to families–that’s what we hope to do.”

We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.

It's not just for kids. Disney was intended to be for kids and adults to share together. :goodvibes

cstraub said:
Walt Disney quotes:

“I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it.”

“The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together–and that’s the backbone of our whole business, catering to families–that’s what we hope to do.”

We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.

It's not just for kids. Disney was intended to be for kids and adults to share together. :goodvibes

In principle, this is right on. In reality, it doesn't mean the one year old should be welcomed with open arms at V&A. Because parents CAN pay for their kids to be at "adult" oriented restaurants, doesn't mean they should.

Used to be parents could take a hint from menu prices and dining hours. That seems to be a thing of the past.

I can have "fun" "together" with my kids all over the parks. I just won't be bringing them to V&A's or CG, or Citrico's or any other number of WDW restaurants just yet. As a parent, I have decided that it's just not appropriate parenting for me, and certainly not respectful of my fellow guests.

melomouse

melomouse said:
I just won't be bringing them to V&A's or CG, or Citrico's or any other number of WDW restaurants just yet. As a parent, I have decided that it's just not appropriate parenting for me, and certainly not respectful of my fellow guests.

I just want to point out that Citricos and the California Grill both have childrens menus. So ... children are indeed welcome at those restaurants.

I don't want to make this a debate, I was just stating my opinion that clearly WDW is geared for kids, families, everyone, etc. I have gone before kids as wwell, but I know that if I wanted to get away from kids for a night or more, I would not be looking to WDW for a kids free experience. But again, I personally would not care if WDW opened an adults only restaurant.

I don't know what is right or wrong as far as "adult only".

I can only say that one thing perplexes me and I not being sarcastic at all. I am really curious.

Why do parents allow children to get out of their seats at any restaurant and walk/run/play around? (with the exception of those "play area" restaurants of course)

Honestly, I just don't get it. Very perplexing.

I don't even think this "debate" is just about signature restaurants. I don't understand parents who let their children leave the table at any restaurant.....WDW or not.

I am assuming that this is the behaviour that leads this many people to want an "adults only" restaurant. Is it?

I also think that we, businesses/society, confuse the crap out of kids. Our IKEA has a play area in the middle of our restaurant. Most think that this is wonderful. I don't. I don't understand the need for kids to play during eating time. I know it helps parents. But I don't agree. I guess most do. But then how do we expect children to understand that sometimes we can run around and play in a restaurant and other times just sit.

Also, we had some children running around our table area at Boma on our last trip. I looked over to the parents to make contact to see if they realized what was going on. It was obvious that they knew what was going on and were absolutely okay with it. I will/would say something in this situation and get talked to by the parents if need be. Because one I think we all "raise" children in some way. And two if someone is disturbing my meal by running around my table then they should be told. Nicely of course because the children are only doing what their parents are okay with. It's not their fault. I was about to open my mouth and the waiter started to entertain them instead. Perplexing to me. The staff was "okay" with the run around...Ie. more entertainment for them not to be seated.

Kids must be very confused about what to do and what they can/can not get away with......

Interesting.

cstraub said:
Walt Disney quotes:

I hear you. Walt had a great idea. So could the children stay "together" with the family at the table? :rotfl:

How about making adult only hours at certain restaurants. It would be like the extended hours for the parks. On certain days select restaurants would have adult hours and it would not just be the most expensive restaurants in WDW. :thumbsup2

robinb said:
I just want to point out that Citricos and the California Grill both have childrens menus. So ... children are indeed welcome at those restaurants.

Yes, indeed, Robin, children ARE welcome. You are right. I needed to be more clear. I, just personally, don't feel that my kids need to dine in the higher end restaurants while on vacation in Disney. When we do go to a more luxurious kind of restaurant at home, one of the many things they learn that they will be dressing up a bit - something we almost never are when we got to WDW! More often than not, when we get to dinner at WDW - vs. other vacations - is we are not out prime enjoyment level to justify the prices, either. In other words - tired, sweaty, in shorts and T's, etc.

Hope this doesn't launch a discussion on WDW "dress codes" - !!

Just my stuff, I guess...

melomouse

melomouse

hmp2z said:
especially from those who feel that performing a biological function like reproducing makes them entitled, or somehow elevates them above the level of those who choose not to or can't perform the same biological function.
Heather W

This is one of the more crass things I have read here. Having children is a little more than a "biological function" - using the toilet is a "biological function". Having children - or "reproducing" as you coldly put it - and raising them is more than just the biological function it started with.

No one ever said here that people with children were entitled to anything more than people without kids. Noone ever said that having children elevated anyone. This is purely what you read into it.

bkjones911 said:
How about making adult only hours at certain restaurants. It would be like the extended hours for the parks. On certain days select restaurants would have adult hours and it would not just be the most expensive restaurants in WDW. :thumbsup2

The only problem with that sort of setup would be those people who have limited times, i.e. "I can only get into XXXX on Tuesday night, and they won't let my kids in on Tuesdays!"

I think blanket policies, either yes to kids or no to kids, make things easier to plan, and make things more fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter