Activating DVC Annual Pass

Since its been a month or so now, hoping to find someone in a similar situation as above that can post actual experience. all new passes, someone not listed on the deed... But could you just go straight to turnstile for activation of sorcerer pass? We are going in December and don't want to get slowed down for rope drop.
We finally went two weeks ago. MIL was able to just activate her AP at turn style using her MB. She hasn’t gotten a physical card from guest services yet (she doesn’t really need to as we pay for everything for her and most verifications require using the app anyway), but I imagine they’d ask for ID then if she needed to pick one up.

FWIW, when we activated our passes at the beginning of July, we had to go to GS and were not able to simply activate them at the turnstiles.

Off topic but May I ask what makes someone an Associate member?
An associate is a special class of DVC Membership.
  • A Member is an owner who is on the deed, receives a Membership Card and is entitled to all the privileges of Membership.
  • An Associate can only make reservations and bank Vacation Points. An owner Member can request to have someone designated as an Associate without making a change to the deed.
  • An Associate will not receive a Membership Card nor do they have any privileges of ownership.
  • An Associate must be 18 years of age or older.
Owners can add Associate Members to their memberhu hip if they wish. More information can be found on the Member's Website.

Last edited:
Not sure why being an associate is related y to ops original pos unless your thinking that's why they could also go to the turnstile
Because no one can figure out why some people can simply tap in, while others have to go to GS, or why only one person out of a family of 3 or 4 has to go to GS while the others can tap in. It’s another possible variable to take into consideration.

Because no one can figure out why some people can simply tap in, while others have to go to GS, or why only one person out of a family of 3 or 4 has to go to GS while the others can tap in. It’s another possible variable to take into consideration.
Makes sense. Yes the mystery continues.

FWIW, when we activated our passes at the beginning of July, we had to go to GS and were not able to simply activate them at the turnstiles.
That’s so interesting! We activated in early July and we all (DH, myself, and 2 kids under 18 and obviously not on the deed) went through the turnstiles and it worked. I can’t figure out why it works for some and not for others. We did have Sorcerer Passes previously that we had intentionally let lapse after Thanksgiving 2022 but I just bought our new passes online when they went on sale again.

Not sure if this helps but this is what I see so far. I bought Sorcerer’s Passes for my wife and I (on the deed) and for my daughter and grandson (live with us, not on deed).

I checked My Disney Experience and all 4 passes are there (no mention of “certificates”…)

However, when I check the app on my phone, under My Profile -> Memberships and Passes, the passes for my wife and I have an expiration date of 12/31/2024 while the others have an expiration date of 5/22/2024 (one year from date purchased).

Also, in the same app, if I go to “Tickets and Passes”, my wife and my tickets have a BLUE banner, my daughter and grandson’s tickets have an orange border…

These are the only differences I have been able to see. I won’t be able to confirm for another 3 weeks when we get there but I expect that my daughter and grandson will be visiting GR.

I know it's been a few months since this thread was active, but I noticed a change in MDE for all of our APs for our upcoming trip and thought it was worth updating on this thread. As of a few weeks ago, all of my family's APs have wording below the barcode in red that reads, "NOT VALID FOR ADMISSION. Must show ID at Ticket Window Before Using." That wasn't there when we purchased them- it just appeared in January.

We have 5 people on the trip- me, DH and DS all have DVC Sorcerer APs, DH's father has a regular Incredi-Pass, and DS's friend has a 7 day PH, no AP. All of the APs have this wording. The 7 day PH does not. So my guess is that they are returning to all APs having to verify their identity. I can't speak to renewals- these are all new APs as we've had a year off between visits- but it's definitely on all 4 of the APs.

I know it's been a few months since this thread was active, but I noticed a change in MDE for all of our APs for our upcoming trip and thought it was worth updating on this thread. As of a few weeks ago, all of my family's APs have wording below the barcode in red that reads, "NOT VALID FOR ADMISSION. Must show ID at Ticket Window Before Using." That wasn't there when we purchased them- it just appeared in January.

We have 5 people on the trip- me, DH and DS all have DVC Sorcerer APs, DH's father has a regular Incredi-Pass, and DS's friend has a 7 day PH, no AP. All of the APs have this wording. The 7 day PH does not. So my guess is that they are returning to all APs having to verify their identity. I can't speak to renewals- these are all new APs as we've had a year off between visits- but it's definitely on all 4 of the APs.
Same here

We leave in 10 days. I was hoping to skip GS. Two of us have AP renewals and 1 has a new AP.

Last edited:
I just renewed our APs yesterday and I'm not seeing anything that says we need to show an ID. Now, we all had APs last year; so that may be why.

I just renewed our APs yesterday and I'm not seeing anything that says we need to show an ID. Now, we all had APs last year; so that may be why.
I would guess that may be why. No need to verify identity on a renewal- and I would guess that they could check your DVC status if they needed to.

I don't see anything under the barcode that says NOT VALID FOR ADMISSION. Maybe I'm good.

Maybe! All you can do it try and if it goes blue, had to GR. Or, if you don’t want to chance, start there just in case.

Just went yesterday. 3 of us, two of us owners on the contract and adult child at home. I purchased all 3 Sorcerer’s passes and am owner. None of ours worked at the turnstiles. BUT, we were able to go to any ticket selling window and activate and did not have to go specifically to guest services. They gave me a physical card (I didn’t ask for one). The other two, got to their parks separately, weren’t given a physical card and didn’t ask for one

Just went yesterday. 3 of us, two of us owners on the contract and adult child at home. I purchased all 3 Sorcerer’s passes and am owner. None of ours worked at the turnstiles. BUT, we were able to go to any ticket selling window and activate and did not have to go specifically to guest services. They gave me a physical card (I didn’t ask for one). The other two, got to their parks separately, weren’t given a physical card and didn’t ask for one

Thanks for sharing. Maybe they are going back to making sure verification is done for the new passes, especially since household members weren’t being required to show anything saying they were eligible.

We were just there less than two weeks ago - it was our first use on a renewal (renewed in December, passes expired early January). We just scanned in as normal and went right in (hadn't been down to WDW since August). All 4 of us were renewals though (Sorcerer Pass).

After a gap in AP ownership caused by the pandemic, we bought AP's last Spring when they went on sale. We used them for the first time yesterday. Walked up to the tapstile, touched the band to to the reader, and got "welcome home" and the purple light. Didn't need to go to guest relations at all or do anything special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter