Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Is there plenty of available seating at the pools or will I need to look into poolside patio seating for purchase?

Is there plenty of available seating at the pools or will I need to look into poolside patio seating for purchase?
We’ve never had an issue finding chairs, even over busy holidays. If you feel more comfortable having a patio or cabana, and want guaranteed seating, it doesn’t hurt to reserve one. Enjoy!

*Wanted to add: Patios are at the Courtyard pool and by the Splash Pad.

Cabanas are by the Beach pool (the pool with the waterfall/slide).

We’ve never had an issue finding chairs, even over busy holidays. If you feel more comfortable having a patio or cabana, and want guaranteed seating, it doesn’t hurt to reserve one. Enjoy!

*Wanted to add: Patios are at the Courtyard pool and by the Splash Pad.

Cabanas are by the Beach pool (the pool with the waterfall/slide).
Good to know we don’t necessarily need to rent patio seating. The price is pretty reasonable in my opinion so it’s tempting. I just don’t like being tied down to a specific pool day and time. We usually go with the flow for the pool.

The main reason we are back staying at the GF for the second time is the non-crowded feeling at the main pool. We usually stay at the Poly, but you can barely swim in that pool...it's so crowded. GF is so nice! Our son swam every afternoon and must have slid down the slide 100 times. There was always a good lounger available next to the pool.

Excited for your first stay!

The main reason we are back staying at the GF for the second time is the non-crowded feeling at the main pool. We usually stay at the Poly, but you can barely swim in that pool...it's so crowded. GF is so nice! Our son swam every afternoon and must have slid down the slide 100 times. There was always a good lounger available next to the pool.

I love hearing this! We stayed at YC last year and Stormalong Bay was madness. Then the quiet pool had zero shade so we didn’t get much pool time in. We will definitely be using the pools at GF.

We have our first full week trip at Grand Flo this November. What are the chances of a couple comfortable swim days?

My preference is at least 80f and 76f water temp. We’ve swam in Oct, was good. Tried in Dec and Jan, not so good.

We have our first full week trip at Grand Flo this November. What are the chances of a couple comfortable swim days?

My preference is at least 80f and 76f water temp. We’ve swam in Oct, was good. Tried in Dec and Jan, not so good.
When in November? We have been going end of November for years, and I’m like you where the temperatures have to be pretty high to get me in. I hate cold water when swimming! I’d say you can get 2-3 days, but if you’re braver, a couple more. I’ll be honest, that if it’s not perfect, I’ll stay out and have a drink by the pool. I’m just as happy. Enjoy!!

M. Mouse Mercantile Closing for Refurbishment at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Starting May 13

Guests staying at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in the coming months will notice that parts of the resort are actively being refurbished to enhance the Guest experience. As part of these efforts, the M. Mouse Mercantile shop will undergo refurbishment work beginning May 13, 2024. Guests may see or hear refurbishment work taking place around the area until the work is completed in mid-July.

During this time, the merchandise location will not be open, but products from the store will be shifted to other locations. Sandy Cove Gifts and Sundries or Curiouser Clothiers will continue to be available to Guests during that time.

*Construction Notes*

Updated 4/29/24

*4/29/24 - M. Mouse Mercantile Closing for Refurbishment at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Starting May 20 to July 13.

As of 4/17/24, the only visible construction at The Grand was located outside the Main Building. Pictures taken during my trip last week can be viewed below. According to emails sent to guests, as well as blogs, work on the Lobby should begin soon. NO DATES HAVE BEEN GIVEN AS FAR AS START OR COMPLETION DATES. As information becomes available, I will be sure to update this thread (Page 1 included). No information has been given regarding any additional work at this time. I’d appreciate anyone who has trips coming up, if they’d kindly post any new construction indoors or out. I’d love to keep this thread as up to date as possible. Thanks so much!!!

1712593691234.jpeg

1712593702409.jpeg

Current Lobby State: REFURBISHMENT HAS NOT STARTED.

IMG_2429.jpeg

EMAILS SENT TO GUESTS

Letter Sent to Guests:

Dear Guest,
In an effort to continually enhance the Guest experience here at the Walt Disney World® Resort, we often refresh our offerings and atmosphere. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we would like to make you aware of renovations that will be taking place during your visit. While we work our magic, you will see or hear construction around Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – including our lobby – during daytime hours.

Letter sent to International Guests:

"Dear Guest,

Since March 2022, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa has been undergoing a period of enhancement to continuously improve the magic of this fantastic Resort.

Walt Disney Travel Company International have just been made aware that some aspects of this ongoing period of enhancement will continue to take place during your stay through 2025. This will include some minor work where the lobby will be undergoing some enhancements but will remain fully accessible. We would like to take the opportunity to assure you that these minor enhancements will not deter from the comfort and luxury of your stay at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

We wish to confirm that all amenities, including dining, shopping, spa, and recreation including all pools and water play areas will be open for your enjoyment. We’d like to remind you about just some of the many incredible experiences at this Resort."

Last edited:

Current Lobby State: REFURBISHMENT HAS NOT STARTED.

IMG_2429.jpeg

What is the speculation on the lobby refurb? Is it likely to be a total refurbishment, i.e. construction involved, or more like replacement of furnishings, painting etc?

What is the speculation on the lobby refurb? Is it likely to be a total refurbishment, i.e. construction involved, or more like replacement of furnishings, painting etc?
The lobby painting finished before Christmas

But I had heard (probably when the refurb was first announced) that they were going to make the check in desk into individual desks like at other resorts.

I was at the Grand from April 16 - 21. Lobby refurbishment was not started, and any cast member I asked said they don't know when it will start.

We were booked in a 2 bedroom Villa and Disney called on our check in day while we were traveling and asked if we would like to move to a 2 bedroom Suite with Club Level access. They said the main difference would be that the Suite does not have a kitchen, but the Royal Palm Club would be available. We decided to accept their offer. The Suite was in Sago Cay on the top floor overlooking the monorail. It was fabulous. We used the Gaspy's elevator to get to the lounge, and the Fireworks and walking path were very convenient.

We made good use of the Nespresso machines in both our room and at the lounge. I also drank more than my fair share of sparkling wine! Service and food were both excellent. I especially loved the lavender lemonade welcome drink. I'm glad that wasn't available in the lounge because I would have had way too much of it! Pools and the kids splash area were great and it was a warm sunny week.

We had a great stay and really loved the Club access. It was so convenient to have breakfast there before going to the parks. I did miss the bubble tub in the master bedroom of the villas but the other amenities of the suite more than made up for that. I'm really looking forward to seeing the lobby after it is redone. Disney is giving the Grand Floridian lots of love right now and it shows.

We are long-term BWV members, and it’s our favorite resort by far. However, we did just buy a smaller VGF contract, and the pools are the best! We don’t have young children anymore so I hang at the courtyard pool and I love it.

I would say that there was a lack of available chairs when we stayed in the beginning of April. We got to the pool around noon on our pool days, and there were not 4 seats together for us. In fact, there was only 2 together on one of our pool days. The other days we were scattered or shared a chair.

I would say that there was a lack of available chairs when we stayed in the beginning of April. We got to the pool around noon on our pool days, and there were not 4 seats together for us. In fact, there was only 2 together on one of our pool days. The other days we were scattered or shared a chair.
We were also there first week of April, but didn’t have any issues with getting chairs. We did not get to the pool until mid afternoon most days, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter