• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

It's been years since I had to do laundry on the ship. Can someone tell me how it works paying for it? Do we charge it to the room or do we need change? Plus how much per wash and per dry? Can't pack 2 weeks worth of clothing :laundy:

Someone just posted about the VAT and VAT refunds on the main cruise board. Will we have to deal with VAT added to on board prices? I never considered that... Is that something we'd have to deal with in connectiom to purchases we make in Barcelona before the cruise?

:confused:

If I recall correctly, you are not charged VAT if the cruise visits a non-European Union port, which would be New Foundland for us.

So what is the latest thoughts on the mysterious ship activity? And what is Frozen night? Should I pack anything special for it? We currently have dinner st 6 for Palo's but are hoping to modify it once on board to brunch. If we can't get brunch should we at least change dinner to another night so we don't miss something for the ship activity?

Frozen Night is a live stage show on Deck 9. I really enjoyed it during our Baltics cruise.

It's been years since I had to do laundry on the ship. Can someone tell me how it works paying for it? Do we charge it to the room or do we need change? Plus how much per wash and per dry? Can't pack 2 weeks worth of clothing :laundy:

If you use self-laundry, it is 2.00 for each wash cycle and 2.00 for each dryer cycle. I think detergent is 1.00 per box. You use your KTTW card, and the cost is charged to your stateroom. The dryers tend to be weak so don't overload them and make sure to check/clean the filters. We are definitely doing laundry and have already purchased some travel sized packs of detergent.

Someone just posted about the VAT and VAT refunds on the main cruise board. Will we have to deal with VAT added to on board prices? I never considered that... Is that something we'd have to deal with in connectiom to purchases we make in Barcelona before the cruise?

:confused:

Onboard as said, we wont have issues with VAT. If however you purchase presents in Barcelona and wanted to claim back the VAT my understanding is you would need to take your receipts to the airport to get the form validated etc. Unless you are buying something substantial its probably not worth it.

So what is the latest thoughts on the mysterious ship activity? And what is Frozen night? Should I pack anything special for it? We currently have dinner st 6 for Palo's but are hoping to modify it once on board to brunch. If we can't get brunch should we at least change dinner to another night so we don't miss something for the ship activity?

Frozen! It has to be based on the email. The lady in Conceirge room hasn't updated recently whether they are saying any different now but I am fairly sure it must be (I've even written it into my plan).

If it is this its just a show up on the pool deck with songs and surprises. Its cute and fun. Last time they gave everyone a snowflake that lite up so we might get them again. People didn't dress up like Pirate night or anything. I have a Tshirt I am going to wear (was reduced on 2015 TA).

As said it charges to the room. I too have brought a couple of travel packs of detergent ready. I have also packed a load of dryer sheets as I don't remember seeing them in the laundry room dispenser.

It just keeps getting better and better... Now "the system" accepted the change AND they called me! So I pointed out they accepted the change and I never accepted it. The original flight is still there, I want to be on it. They couldn't do that because it was more expensive (well, it wasn't when I booked it 10 months ago!). They were willing to offer 100 euro's discount on our next booking. Well, there isn't going to be a next booking with them... So I declined.
They are now looking for a different flight on the correct date to anywhere in the Netherlands (I approved to that, we actually leave from a different airport, so that one might be easier anyway), but I doubt they'll find it, because I already did that search and I came up with... our original flight, yes, it's more expensive then the one a day before, but I don't want to travel the day before.

Ugh!! It's so frustrating to feel like you're talking to a wall -- when you explain and explain and you can't seem to make them understand. To them it's just a number in a spreadsheet -- to you it's a major difference in your vacation.

Hang in there!

Since I am new to DisBoards cruising group, I was wondering if there are any plans of everyone meeting on the cruise? Or is this more just for curse info? I don't recall seeing any get together mentioned as I read through all the email

So speaking of postcards...how horrible would it be if I had to write on the actual postcard?? I haven't started yet and don't know if I'll have time to print up little cards with our info on it. I may end up writing the postcards on the plane *gasp*!!

Is there anything specific I should add to my postcards? I'm thinking I may be spending a portion of our 9-hour flight doing the same thing! :rolleyes1

At this point I'll just be glad if they get it sorted... I'll mention the fact that we used to have 2 suitcases per person (and now only one) later.
I called again, and you probably guessed it, they'll call the airline and get back to me today... I told them they already promised that 3 times before and this time I at least want to hear something, even if they didn't sort it out

EDIT: Jeej! I got not one, but 2 e-mails! One a response to my trustpilot review stating that they saw I have contact via telephone and they're working on it (well, actually, that was my complaint... They keep working on it, but don't inform me about anything) and the other from the airline. I asked them to confirm to correct date was originally booked, but it just stated the booking and the wrong date *sigh*

Honestly you couldn't make this up!

Ok, I'm sooooo angry right now. I finally got the email... Did it only state it was changed to the wrong date. I called again, tried to stay nice, but immediately stated I was really angry and this was the fifth time I called. I said I didn't accept the change and that the original flight was still there so we had every right to be on it. She put me on hold for a really long time and then stated they were going to look at it and get back at me today! I nearly lost it!! Told here we were probably already worse of anyway because we didn't have the seats anymore we reserved 10 months ago! And the luggage rules had been changed, so we'd be allowed less luggage. She ended the call with a, have a nice day, I told here that wasn't going to happen anyway...

Oh dear God! I really hate how people try to make up for it! I had a customer service person the other day who kept saying "are you satisfied with how we have handled you call" to which I refused to say yes and they just kept repeating the question. Eventually they realised I wasn't going to back down and gave up but it took around 6 attempts of them going "but why" and then asking again before they accepted I wasn't willing to say it.

It just keeps getting better and better... Now "the system" accepted the change AND they called me! So I pointed out they accepted the change and I never accepted it. The original flight is still there, I want to be on it. They couldn't do that because it was more expensive (well, it wasn't when I booked it 10 months ago!). They were willing to offer 100 euro's discount on our next booking. Well, there isn't going to be a next booking with them... So I declined.
They are now looking for a different flight on the correct date to anywhere in the Netherlands (I approved to that, we actually leave from a different airport, so that one might be easier anyway), but I doubt they'll find it, because I already did that search and I came up with... our original flight, yes, it's more expensive then the one a day before, but I don't want to travel the day before.

I think you were very reasonable giving them an option (even if you did know they wouldn't take it :D )

They budged! We have our original flight back! I think she noticed I really wasn't going to accept it... At me pointing out that I gave them plenty of options the bypass the system and prevent the change to be accepted. And probably me approving to be put on a different flight as long as it left that same night (and there not being a cheaper option ;) ). We now have the best e-ticket ever, with two stripped through flights in them ;)
No other compensation though (although we really wouldn't use 100 euro's if it meant we had to book through them again)

I think its the best you were likely to get but still a win as you have your flight! Any luck sorting the seats?

Since I am new to DisBoards cruising group, I was wondering if there are any plans of everyone meeting on the cruise? Or is this more just for curse info? I don't recall seeing any get together mentioned as I read through all the email

Hiya. Nothing has been arranged in terms of this through the board as there aren't many of us active on here.

We do not have any group meets arranged here. I did one once years ago, and I felt it to be more awkward than just randomly meeting someone and chatting. I do not belong to the very large group that exists in other social media, but I believe some people in this thread do. Although I do not use my picture in my avatar, I did do an ABD trip report where I included pictures. My hair is a bit longer now, but you can at least put a face with a name should you see me wandering around.

Oh it was so bad yesterday, even when it was sorted I still felt like ** the rest of the day. Yes, I don't get why the Thursday flight is more expensive, there were way more options available then on the Wednesday flight! So we are sitting together on both flights. I e-mailed the airline because I found out the luggage rule changed January 16th and tickets booked before that should still have the same rule. I just want that in writing from them ;) So if I get that, the luggage shouldn't be a problem anymore either.
I send the company a lengthy e-mail pointing out where they could improve their costumer service and how they could have prevented loosing two customers. (And I pointed out some bugs in their software I uncovered while on the phone with them) I had my fiance proof read the e-mail, he's always about staying nice and friendly and he didn't suggest any changes. I doubt I'll ever hear back about it, but I'm pretty sure they lost money on our booking (because they already approved the change with the airline), this way, at least they might be able to get something for that money.

EDIT: btw, I think the only reason it got sorted in the end was because I had already called them 4 times before they accepted the change by the airline. I pointed out that they never should have accepted it after 4 calls. I'm just so happy I spotted the change when I did, I guess otherwise I would have gotten the email about the change yesterday and they would never have changed us back if I hadn't called before.

Hope they also got you all sitting together again.

Believe me, I know your pain, aggravation, and anger.......all of it which usually (for me) results in dizziness, headache and exhaustion the rest of the day. Dealing with the robotic reps of some of these companies is truly exacerbating. You start to feel like you are in the twilight zone or speaking alien. Some of them can truly be company blockheads and even when you stay calm and try to explain the chain of events (for the 3rd, 4th, 5th time), they just don't get it. And half the time I have found that previous reps I spoke to made zero notes on my account or listed their name as a reference -- so that every time you call you have to basically start over.

As a side example, I booked RCCL to Cuba next year. I made the mistake of calling to see if I could get an oceanview and inside room across from each other rather than the cramped room we had booked. The woman told me my options and I said I'd think about it. Lo and behold, I got a "confirmation" that they had changed our rooms into two at the front of the ship -- something I never approved. After more than 6 hours on the phone over two days (yes, 6 hours), and being disconnected twice, I finally got a supervisor to put it all back the way it was. They did offer a $100 OBC as a courtesy, which I did appreciate, but boy those two days wore me out.

I am so happy that your reservation has been fixed properly and now you can really look forward to your trip and (hopefully) no more hassles or snafus! Safe travels and wishes to all for a great trip and cruise.

Is there anything specific I should add to my postcards? I'm thinking I may be spending a portion of our 9-hour flight doing the same thing! :rolleyes1
I think I'm just going to include the name the postcard is addressed to, my name (and/or avatar info) and cabin #? I don't want to write a ton all over the postcard. But currently, still not packed and looking more like I will be spending my layover hours (I have 2 really long layovers, a 5-hr in Oakland, and a 6-hr in London, all on top of a 10-hr flight :sad:)!!

Yes, we're sitting together and I just got the confirmation from the airline that if our tickets shows it's booked before January 17th (which luckily it still does) we are still eligible for 2 pieces of luggage each. All's well that ends well.
No dizziness and headache for me, but when I hold my anger I tend to cry, which I didn't want to do at work, especially over a plane ticket, so I hold it back the entire day and yes, I was exhausted after. I canceled my plans for the evening because I knew I wouldn't be a really nice or fun person to be around.

They did actually take notes! They just never used them ;). When they called me, they started with that I talked to a few people that day, so my reply was "yes, and last week". She then mentioned that indeed there were a lot of notes on the file.

:thumbsup2 You have definitely "earned" this trip after all this.

Slowly getting everything together, printed off all my documents I think I might need today, started packing yesterday. Printed off the postcard exchange cabins for this group. Trip will be getting here really soon. We head out of town next Monday, though we will be in airports for a long time. We leave from Dulles Airport Tuesday morning to fly to JFK, which we don't fly out of JFK till Tuesday night, stopover in Lisbon (really long) so we bought their lounge access, and then don't get into Barcelona until 11:45 pm on Wednesday night. That at least will give us Thursday and Friday to look around Barcelona a bit and just get refreshed a little. Just need to finish up my packing, getting my FE gifts finalized and still haven't gotten all my postcards yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter