9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

I'm looking for advice from people who have debarked at the Manhattan cruise terminal.

We're taking a town car service home. I set up a pickup time of 10:30, because I didn't want to take a chance on being late.

Now I'm wondering if we'll be standing around for an hour with our luggage because DCL will throw us off the ship at 9, and it won't take that long to find our luggage and go through customs/immigration.

What do you think>

Thanks.

Kathy

We always drive to the port; but did return one-way once from a Quebec cruise. We rented a car, so had to wait in line for a taxi (a nightmare). We were off the ship and through customs by 9 a.m. (HAL). So it might not be a bad idea to move the pick-up time up to at least 10 a.m. I know we have hung out on the Disney ships until after 9 a.m. to let crowds go, but have been out of our rooms before 8 a.m. So that might also be a solution -- hang back on the ship a little before walking off (a much prettier place to hang than the terminal!).

I'm looking for advice from people who have debarked at the Manhattan cruise terminal.

We're taking a town car service home. I set up a pickup time of 10:30, because I didn't want to take a chance on being late.

Now I'm wondering if we'll be standing around for an hour with our luggage because DCL will throw us off the ship at 9, and it won't take that long to find our luggage and go through customs/immigration.

What do you think>

Thanks.

Kathy

I went for 9:30. Last year there were issues but most people were still off by 9:30 and then there was queues for taxis from what I've read. I wasn't 100% sure to be honest but thought I would aim to be heading off the ship at 8:30am and skip restaurant breakfast that day for the first time.

What do you think>

Thanks.

Kathy

I scheduled ours for 9:30, and we will have a later breakfast time.

I would like to thank RedSox 68 for the wonderful job she has done moderating this board. As I am not on Facebook, I have truly appreciated the chance to find out what other cruisers are doing and saying. It is such a shame that you will not be joining us on this adventure.

I have been reading the posts everyday. Several posts have incited me to action as people have done or thought of things that I hadn't. I haven't posted much because I haven't had enough Disney cruise experience to add to the conversations. We are all set except for the packing and our New York itinerary. As I said in an earlier post, we arrive in Barcelona the evening of the 12 and the family we are cruising with arrives on the 13th. We are trying to see as much of Barcelona as possible in the three days we have there.

We are hoping that the secret ship activity is indeed a Frozen night as we very much enjoyed the experience on Wonder.

Sarah, can the dog pass as a service dog? Just kidding! Hopefully, your sister makes it home in time!

Can anyone give me more information about the scavenger hunt on embarkation day? I was able to find a YouTube video of one in 2008 but was hoping to get a more recent take on it.

Our thoughts go out to MommyMouse and family. We hope Irma's force is diminished by the time she gets to you!

I would like to thank RedSox 68 for the wonderful job she has done moderating this board. As I am not on Facebook, I have truly appreciated the chance to find out what other cruisers are doing and saying. It is such a shame that you will not be joining us on this adventure.

Our thoughts go out to MommyMouse and family. We hope Irma's force is diminished by the time she gets to you!

Hear! Hear!

For me, the timing of my current project at work has left me mentally drained. I am so glad that I put together some spreadsheets prior to this because I honestly do not know if I would be left with an organized thought. I have been working long hours during the week and on weekends (and will be this weekend, as well), and it didn't help when my client asked about wifi service while I'm away. My husband was about to explode when I told him. The laptop stays home!

I do hope I get an opportunity to meet you all at some point. Maybe we'll pass while delivering our postcards. Maybe we'll be sitting next to each other at a beverage tasting, pub trivia, show, Cove Cafe, etc. I do wish @RedSox68 was able to join us as she has put so much effort into keeping this thread organized and updated, but her health comes first.

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I ordered a wheelchair to help me get through security. The last time I traveled with a boot (plus crutches) the TSA made me remove my boot because I walked up on my crutches, and I was just recovering from a broken ankle. I don't need any other assistance after that as I can get up and down the stairs with no problem.

For everyone in Irma's path, I hope you all remain safe. I have family in southern FL. I'm happy my elderly aunt left and went to her son's further north.

Sarah, can the dog pass as a service dog? Just kidding! Hopefully, your sister makes it home in time!

Can anyone give me more information about the scavenger hunt on embarkation day? I was able to find a YouTube video of one in 2008 but was hoping to get a more recent take on it.

Lol to be fair I did debate this option but it takes 10 days at least to register and she's so unobideint I don't think she'd pass the test (to add I am partially sighted so would have had a reason)

As for a scavenger hunt is this magic quest? It's the only scavenger hunt I remember wher u have to collect random items around the ship? If so it will be in the d lounge at 7pm ish

And yes hoping people stay safe! My sisters flight is still leaving at 430 so 8 more hours until I can relax as I will know they are on their way back. After that the next flight isn't til Tuesday which means they wouldn't be back til Wednesday and I need to be home Thursday so even if they made that flight it would be tight.

Hello. Has anyone booked a Disney tour in Lisbon? If so, which one?

No I've opted for walking around instead as want to go to hard rock

Thank you so much -- and all of you for your good thoughts. My not going was certainly foreseen as having more to do than just with my diagnosis -- my stoic DH was diagnosed with Parkinson's last week. So it obviously would have all been too much for us to do this year -- at least until he gets through his drug trials and finds a happy dose.

So this is not a downer by any means -- we are actually relieved because we didn't know what his symptoms were from. Now we can start the road to making both our lives more comfortable and doable.

In the meantime, today would have been the day we flew out -- so a little sad nostalgia as this would have been 10 years since our last WBTA from Barcelona. Maybe in the future -- those transatlantics are such a terrific way to relax and I will miss that part for sure. ;)

Most importantly, I would like to thank each and every single one of you for contributing so thoughtfully to this thread, and for all the good wishes and compassion. This thread started out as a true joy to set up and do, and in the end became therapy and a much needed happy diversion. All in all I loved doing this thread from beginning to end. I feel like I know each of you and am so excited for all of you to do this trip. PLEASE report back with trip reports -- even if you just report back to this thread with some of your experiences. I shall be cruising with you in thought.

I send out massive hugs and good thoughts for safe travels, happy experiences and good weather! :grouphug::jumping1:

:wave2:

Am I the only one having pre-trip anxiety? Between work and knowing that I overpacked I have become a bit nutty. We have two normal sized suitcases and one carry-on size as checked luggage, and we're still not done packing. My husband is a horrible packer and doesn't know how to make the most of the space in his bag so I always end up with the heavier bag.

Last edited:
Thank you so much -- and all of you for your good thoughts. My not going was certainly foreseen as having more to do than just with my diagnosis -- my stoic DH was diagnosed with Parkinson's last week. So it obviously would have all been too much for us to do this year -- at least until he gets through his drug trials and finds a happy dose.

So this is not a downer by any means -- we are actually relieved because we didn't know what his symptoms were from. Now we can start the road to making both our lives more comfortable and doable.

In the meantime, today would have been the day we flew out -- so a little sad nostalgia as this would have been 10 years since our last WBTA from Barcelona. Maybe in the future -- those transatlantics are such a terrific way to relax and I will miss that part for sure. ;)

Most importantly, I would like to thank each and every single one of you for contributing so thoughtfully to this thread, and for all the good wishes and compassion. This thread started out as a true joy to set up and do, and in the end became therapy and a much needed happy diversion. All in all I loved doing this thread from beginning to end. I feel like I know each of you and am so excited for all of you to do this trip. PLEASE report back with trip reports -- even if you just report back to this thread with some of your experiences. I shall be cruising with you in thought.

I send out massive hugs and good thoughts for safe travels, happy experiences and good weather! :grouphug::jumping1:

:wave2:

I can't word well before my coffee is finished, but I just want to send you so much love and encouraging hugs and thanks and !!!

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I wish you both all of the best.

Am I the only one having pre-trip anxiety? Between work and knowing that I overpacked I have become a bit nutty. We have two normal sized suitcases and one carry-one size as checked luggage, and we're still not done packing. My husband is a horrible packer and doesn't know how to make the most of the space in his bag so I always end up with the heavier bag.

LOL I pride myself on being able to pack lightly, but somehow that is going out the window this trip!! I thought we'd get away with one carry-on each and 2 checked bags for the family... When I showed my DH the bag where I'd packed the FE gifts and asked if the room that was left would be enough for him, he looked at me like I was nuts. So we're up to 3 checked bags!

I'm just a bit worried, because somehow we need to fit 6 people and their luggage into one minivan for the trip to the airport! Won't be the first time the kids and I have ridden with our carry-on suitcases on our laps, but it'll make for a miserable 2+ hour drive :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter