You Only Turn 40 Once - A Pre-trip Report

Your dinner reservations look good. I hope that Marcel's Mac and Cheese is on the menu. I also hope that Napa Rose works out for you. Since Andrew Sutton is no longer there nightly, reports of the Chef's Counter are that they choose items off the menu which fit into your flavor profile. I hope that since you have such a list they make you some custom dishes.

You Brita are so cute with your thoughts on American dishes. I have never eaten the yams with marshmallows because I do not like sweet potatoes (which are not the same as yams I am told). My mother will not put the marshmallows on top of her recipe. On the other hand green bean casserole is a favorite of mine. Again my mother won't eat that because of the cream of mushroom soup.

that is cool! Sweet potatoes yuck me too don't like them! Lol. Omg you must be so excited! Soon be on the single digit dance!

I am definitely excited. The single digit dance this year is perfectly timed as it will be 1st November. So the same day I can say that I am going on holiday this month, it is also single digits.

Your dinner reservations look good. I hope that Marcel's Mac and Cheese is on the menu. I also hope that Napa Rose works out for you. Since Andrew Sutton is no longer there nightly, reports of the Chef's Counter are that they choose items off the menu which fit into your flavor profile. I hope that since you have such a list they make you some custom dishes.

You Brita are so cute with your thoughts on American dishes. I have never eaten the yams with marshmallows because I do not like sweet potatoes (which are not the same as yams I am told). My mother will not put the marshmallows on top of her recipe. On the other hand green bean casserole is a favorite of mine. Again my mother won't eat that because of the cream of mushroom soup.

I most certainly hope that Marcel's Mac and Cheese is on the menu. I know we will have a fantastic meal there either way, but I am so graving this macaroni cheese.

I may go and see them before the day of our reservation to see if they can work with my list. If not, we can always cancel.

I am really looking forward to the green bean casserole. Green beans are my favourite vegetable and I love mushrooms, too. Many years ago, a friend in the USA emailed me her recipes for her Thanksgiving/ Christmas dinner. It included a whole lot of dishes that were very unfamiliar and somewhat strange for our European palates. It included candied yam with toasted marshmallows (which I never tried), scalloped corn (which I love and Graham is largely indifferent to) and a cranberry side dish with Port and dream topping, which we ended up having as dessert rather than a side dish.

It's getting so exciting it's so close! :goodvibes

Yes, it is indeed. On Sunday I can book one of the tours at Disneyland.

Corinna

Are you doing Holiday time tour and Walk in Walts footsteps?

Yes, if I can get them. Tomorrow it is 30 days out for the date I want to do the A Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I heard that fills up really quick. I supposed to work a late shift tomorrow, but swapper with a colleague for a day off so that I can call as soon as the line opens at 15:00 our time. I work the 26th October instead.

Corinna

Yes, if I can get them. Tomorrow it is 30 days out for the date I want to do the A Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I heard that fills up really quick. I supposed to work a late shift tomorrow, but swapper with a colleague for a day off so that I can call as soon as the line opens at 15:00 our time. I work the 26th October instead.

Corinna

Depending on finances i'm thinking of booking the Walk in Walt's footsteps for just me on the last day. I think I'd regret not going in to the appartment while I'm there if I don't book it I'm wondering then if we should skip the holiday tour if i'm going to do the walt tour.

Depending on finances i'm thinking of booking the Walk in Walt's footsteps for just me on the last day. I think I'd regret not going in to the appartment while I'm there if I don't book it I'm wondering then if we should skip the holiday tour if i'm going to do the walt tour.

That was precisely my feeling. I managed to get this booked for 11th November today as planned. Now I have to wait for a little over two weeks before I can book the Holiday tour and then my planning is complete.

Corinna

This was originally Graham's idea, but the more I think about it, the more excited I get. Graham had read somewhere that during the time of year we are going there are some seriously impressive waves along the North Shore of up to 40 feet. So he wanted to see this. The rest of the day has kind of evolved around this.

Our first stop will be the Dole Plantation. We are planning to be there as soon as they open at 9:30. There are three things there that draw me. The first one is the Pineapple Express, which is a 20 minute train ride around the plantation where we learn about the history of the pineapple in Hawaii. Apparently there are some pretty stunning views on the way, too. This only lasts 20 minutes. Next up will be the pineapple maze, which is supposed to be the largest botanical maze in the world with 2.5 miles of path. Apparently the average time to navigate this maze is 45 minutes. After this, we have deserved a snack. One of my favourite snacks in the world is the Dole Whip. I know that I can get this at Aulani now, but I cannot go to the Dole Plantation and not have a Dole Whip.

Once we are finished at the Dole Plantation, we will head further east. Our next stop will be Kualoa Ranch. Kualoa Ranch is the site where a lot of movies and TV shows were filmed. The most famous is probably Jurassic Park, but for instance Lost was filmed there, too. They offer all kinds of different tours and activities, but we are after the Movie Sites and Ranch Tour. The tour takes place in a vintage tour bus, which alone is pretty fascinating. I have also seen some photos from the tour and the views are stunning.

Once we finish our tour, we will head north and drive around the North Shore stopping for photos where it takes our fancy and where it is safe to do so. There will be one last stop on our "wander" around the North Shore and this involves another snack. In the town of Haleiwa, the best Shave Ice on Oahu is meant to be found in a little country store. Matsumoto Shave Ice was founded in 1951 and has a bit of a cult following. It would be a shame to be in the area and not try this.

Once we have enjoyed our snack, we slowly make our way back to Aulani again stopping on the way if something catches out eye and it is safe to do so. I am sure by the time we get back to Aulani, we will be exhausted and ready for bed.

All of this sounds fabulous! I love a maze, the Dole Plantation is definitely going on the list. You are going to have so much fun!!!

I love all your plans so far! This will be a really great trip!

Jill in CO

Your plans for the Dole Plantation and North Shore sound great.

Do you have any plans for the funny Hawaiian Donut truck and the taco truck at the beach or are those on Kauai?

Oh the planation looks amazing! Love that maze :-)

We did a similar movie tour it was great. You will have fun :-)

Plans looking great!

All of this sounds fabulous! I love a maze, the Dole Plantation is definitely going on the list. You are going to have so much fun!!!

Yes, it will be an amazing trip. I am getting so excited. 4 weeks to go.

I love all your plans so far! This will be a really great trip!

Jill in CO

Thanks.

Your plans for the Dole Plantation and North Shore sound great.

Do you have any plans for the funny Hawaiian Donut truck and the taco truck at the beach or are those on Kauai?

Leonard's Bakery is on Oahu. They have a store and also a truck, but it looks like they are both in Waikiki, which is an area we try to avoid. I have not heard about a taco truck on the beach before. I think I may need to do some research on this as this would be right up our street.

Oh the planation looks amazing! Love that maze :-)

We did a similar movie tour it was great. You will have fun :-)

Plans looking great!

That is good to hear about the movie tour. Graham mentioned that he wanted to do this and at first I was not sure at all, but the idea has definitely grown on me.

The Dole Plantation sounds great :thumbsup2

I am really looking forward to this. Anything that combines me being able to learn something new, do something fun and enjoy a Dole Whip sounds great.

Corinna

Just thinking Corinna. One of the highlights for us was visiting where they filmed Blue Hawaii. Make sure they go to this location. It's very emotional even if you aren't passionate about Elvis.

Just thinking Corinna. One of the highlights for us was visiting where they filmed Blue Hawaii. Make sure they go to this location. It's very emotional even if you aren't passionate about Elvis.

Thanks, I have to look into this. I am a little too young for Elvis. I think I was all of 3 when he passed away.

Corinna

Thanks, I have to look into this. I am a little too young for Elvis. I think I was all of 3 when he passed away. Corinna
yes I was only 6 I don't recall much of him but my parents are super keen. But the coco palms resort ( what is left of it now ) where it was filmed is a very interesting place.

Leonard's Bakery is on Oahu. They have a store and also a truck, but it looks like they are both in Waikiki, which is an area we try to avoid. I have not heard about a taco truck on the beach before. I think I may need to do some research on this as this would be right up our street.

Both Captain Oblivious and Podsnel wrote about this truck in their Hawaii TRs but im pretty sure it was on Kauai now that I thin about it.

yes I was only 6 I don't recall much of him but my parents are super keen. But the coco palms resort ( what is left of it now ) where it was filmed is a very interesting place.

I just Googled this and unfortunately it is on Kauai. We originally were thinking about hopping across to Kauai for a day, but decided to stick with just Oahu.

Both Captain Oblivious and Podsnel wrote about this truck in their Hawaii TRs but im pretty sure it was on Kauai now that I thin about it.

I have to check out the trip reports. I had some trouble finding trip reports from Hawaii.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter