You Only Turn 40 Once - A Pre-trip Report

Just catching up wow! Been to WDW for 2 glorious weeks :-)

This will be a wonderful 40th birthday treat! Hawaii wow what a place! We stayed outside Disney in Anaheim and enjoyed it :-) Free breakfast came in handy!

I love the idea of the lazy river and the hydropools! That spa!

How nice raising money for that children't village. I like that cause. Those little stars on the ceiling.

Looking forward to reading more!

Just catching up wow! Been to WDW for 2 glorious weeks :-)

This will be a wonderful 40th birthday treat! Hawaii wow what a place! We stayed outside Disney in Anaheim and enjoyed it :-) Free breakfast came in handy!

I love the idea of the lazy river and the hydropools! That spa!

How nice raising money for that children't village. I like that cause. Those little stars on the ceiling.

Looking forward to reading more!

Welcome back. I am glad that you had a great time.

Corinna

If I was to proceed with this trip report in chronological order, I would post an instalment about Disneyland next. However, as I can't do anything about this for another week and don't want to jinx myself, I will carry on with Hawaii.

Our main aim while we are at Aulani is to enjoy everything the resort has to offer and to relax. Still, it would be a shame to go all this way and not explore a little.

When we visited Oahu on our Hawaii cruise in 2012, we did an excursion where we got the chance to snorkel with spinner dolphins. We really enjoyed this and had every intention to do this again. Although the marina from which this excursion leaves is not too far from Aulani, we found a similar excursion that leaves from the Ko Olina Marina, which is very close to Aulani. The main differences are that this excursion uses a catamaran instead of a zodiac and it also starts a lot earlier, which should make dolphin sightings even easier as the dolphins are most active early in the morning.

The excursion consists of three parts: the dolphin encounter, snorkeling at Turtle Town and a reef snorkel. For the dolphin encounter, apparently we are going do something called a passive float. I have no clear idea of what this will entail, but I am sure it will all become clear when we are on the tour. The next stop is at Turtle Town, which is a natural turtle cleaning station. I missed out on the turtles last time as I swallowed quite a bit of water the second time we went into the water and then decided to stay on the boat at the 3rd and 4th site. So I am looking forward to seeing the turtles this time. The reef snorkel is something that I imagine will be similar to other snorkelling that I have done, but I am still looking forward to this.

When we get back to the marina, we will get "lunch". This amuses me as our meeting time is 6:15 and the tour lasts 3.5 hours. I would classify 9:45 as breakfast rather than lunch. Still, we will have the choice between Hawaiian-style Pulled Pork or Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich or a Veggie Burger. Our meal also includes Fruit Salad, Chips, and hot and cold drinks. I think this will do for breakfast or lunch.

Wow the Hawaii excursion sounds fab and I love the pictures.

I am so glad to hear that you're excited about your vacation again. :)

Hooray for getting your dining reservation!!!

Your excursion looks/sounds magnificent! I would love to do this. I've been compiling a list of 'things to do' from reading Aulani TRs. I'll be curious how you rate this.

I am so glad to hear that you're excited about your vacation again. :)

Hooray for getting your dining reservation!!!

Your excursion looks/sounds magnificent! I would love to do this. I've been compiling a list of 'things to do' from reading Aulani TRs. I'll be curious how you rate this.

Yes, the excitement is definitely building. Yesterday we crossed the 5 week mark before we are leaving and by the weekend it will be less than a month.

I will make sure there will be a detailed trip report with plenty of photos. We really enjoyed the dolphin snorkeling tour we did in 2012, which is not that far from Aulani either and they pick up and drop off at Aulani. However, in the end we preferred the earlier departure time as the earlier in the morning, the more active the dolphins tend to be.

Corinna

I did not think I would make many dining reservations this time round, but somehow I ended up with rather a lot.

Surf's Up Breakfast at PCH Grill

As we are staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel for the first few nights this time round, we could not pass up this character breakfast. Actually if I am honest, whatever the circumstances, this would have made the cut. This has become one of my favourite character meals. It features Stitch, which is the perfect starting point. The character interact there is wonderful and apart from Stitch, Mickey, Minnie, Daisy and Pluto are also present. I like their outfits as they are all kitted out for a day at the beach.

Although the character interaction is great, the star of the meal is actually the food. This is somewhat surprising for that kind of meal. Everything is fresh and hot. On top of the normal buffet breakfast fare, they also have some more unusual dishes like breakfast flatbreads and Chilaquiles, a Mexican dish consisting of tortillas, salsa, chicken, eggs and cheese. I am really looking forward to our breakfast.

Chip and Dale Critter Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe

I was in two minds about this. We have done this twice before and enjoyed it. The character interaction is great and they do have some characters there that are not all that common. Chip and Dale I can see pretty much anywhere, but Koda, Kenai and Terk are a little harder to come by and I have only ever seen Meeko and Brer Fox there. What made me question my choice is the actual dining arrangements. You used to have the choice between the buffet, which was OK and the a la carte menu, which was great. Unfortunately since earlier this year, the only offer the buffet. Still, the character interaction in combination with the fact that this means that I am virtually next to the back entrance to California Adventure on the day I will use my early admission there convinced me to run with this.

[URL=http://s133.photobucket.com/user/dolphingirl_album/media/Hawaii%20Cruise%202012/P1010198.jpg.html]

Steakhouse 55

This is one of only two reservations that I have where there will not be a character in sight. This restaurant has a special place in my heart. We had our vow renewal dinner there in 2011, which was rather special. We also had another dinner and a breakfast there since and neither has disappointed. We both love a good steak and Steakhouse 55 definitely provides this. For me the ultimate side dish for a good steak is macaroni cheese. When I had the macaroni cheese there in 2011 and 2012, I thought this was the best macaroni cheese in the world. That was until I tasted the macaroni cheese at Club 33 last year, which is not even in the same league as the macaroni cheese at Steakhouse 55. I suppose the macaroni cheese at Club 33 could be described as the best in the universe. The good thing for me is that I heard that Chef Marcel, who used to be in charge of Club 33 is now in charge of Steakhouse 55 so I may just get to taste the best macaroni cheese in the universe again.

Aunty's Breakfast Celebration at the Makahiki

This is the only reservation that I have for our stay in Hawaii. The restaurants at Aulani don't really appeal to me and I am sure that we will mainly eat at the little shopping centre nearby. However, on my actual birthday I really want a character breakfast. Fortunately Aulani provides. There is not a great deal of information about this, but it is a buffet that combines traditional breakfast foods with some more exotic choices. As far as I can see the characters present are Minnie, Mickey, Goofy and Stitch. I am sure we will enjoy it.

Goofy's Kitchen

This was another afterthought. We had dinner there twice before, but Graham is not too impressed with this in terms of food and service. I always wanted to try breakfast there. I decided to go for it for two reasons. I have the Holiday tour booked that day. This starts at lunchtime and lasts until mid afternoon. So a late breakfast seemed to be perfect. One of my fundraising t-shirts features the Princesses in their winter outfits and the DISigner challenged me to find the corresponding Princesses. I did some asking around and most sightings of Princesses in their winter outfits were at Goofy's Kitchen. I know that this is by no means guaranteed, but I thought this was worth a try. I have also seen that they have some rather whacky Christmas decorations there and I am looking forward to seeing them.

Thanksgiving Buffet at the Grand Ballroom at the Disneyland Hotel

I had been agonising about what to do for dinner on that day. This will be our third Thanksgiving in the USA. The first time we made a reservation at a local restaurant a couple of days ahead of time and in 2012, I made a reservation at one of the resort restaurants at Walt Disney World 180 days ahead. This time round I was kind of torn between trying to wing it and try to make a reservation offsite once we get there or make a reservation ahead of time at Disneyland. I had not really got any further with that thought process when I heard about Thanksgiving Buffet at the Grand Ballroom at the Disneyland Hotel. I did some reading up on this and was sold.

They have all kinds of different buffet tables including a kid's table, a table with cold dishes, a soup and salad table, a table with hot dishes including various carved meats and of course a dessert table. So there should be plenty for every taste. I am particularly looking forward to the chocolate fountain.

The setting is rather grand and they also have all sorts of characters out. I have seen photos and the characters are wearing Thanksgiving/ Harvest outfits so that will help me with my character hunt, too.

Napa Rose

This is the reservation that I am equally excited and scared about. We briefly considered Napa Rose for our vow renewal dinner in 2011, but very quickly discarded this idea. We had a look at the menu a few times, shook our heads and moved along. We probably would never have considered eating there if it was not for the chef counter. Eating right in the kitchen appeals to the inner geek in me. I think I will struggle at times to remember that I am actually there to eat as I will be completely absorbed in what is going on.

Graham is a pretty adventurous eater. Actually, I can only think of a couple of things that he won't eat and one thing (chocolate) that he is allergic to. He has the habit of letting our servers on our cruises choose his meals and says that this broadens his horizons. Although he does not have many things he won't eat and will try everything at least once he is not really into "fancy food".

When it comes to food, I am the polar opposite of Graham. I also have a food allergy, but on top of that, I am a very picky eater. I have a list as long as my arm of food that I won't touch. It also takes me ages to get up the courage to try something new. Within the confines of what I will eat, I am actually quite adventurous and I enjoy slightly fancier food. However, the normal menu at Napa Rose does not fill me with joy as there are so many things on there that I won't eat.

If you eat at the chef counter, you have three options. You can either order from the normal menu, order the set Vintner's Menu or opt for the tasting menu. We are going to go with the tasting menu. With this, they check with you for your preferences and limitations and then custom make a menu for you. This sounds absolutely perfect for us.

Great reservations I think.. I dunno but I've got two the same as you so I hope they're great :rotfl2:

All your reservations look great!

I think you will enjoy Napa Rose. I did the Chef's counter/tasting in March and the chef asked me my likes/dislikes and then chose dishes from the menu for me. (I was hoping they would create a dish). It was still great and a wonderful experience. I loved being able to watch the well orchestrated team of chefs prepare all the dishes.

Jill in CO

That looks like a fabulous mix of reservations!

I am really pleased with that little lot.

Great reservations I think.. I dunno but I've got two the same as you so I hope they're great :rotfl2:

Well, apart from the one at Aulani, Napa Rose and the Thanksgiving Buffet, they are all repeat performances and I know that they are great.

All your reservations look great!

I think you will enjoy Napa Rose. I did the Chef's counter/tasting in March and the chef asked me my likes/dislikes and then chose dishes from the menu for me. (I was hoping they would create a dish). It was still great and a wonderful experience. I loved being able to watch the well orchestrated team of chefs prepare all the dishes.

Jill in CO

Thanks. I am really curious on how that will work out. I am doing this more for the experience than for the food.

Corinna

I am so excited, I could bounce off the walls. I am now 33 days out from this trip, but I have just booked the first thing for our May vacation.

One of the things that has been on my bucket list forever is the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. Not only will I finally get to cross this off my list, but I managed to snag three nights at the Beach Club Villas. This was my first choice of resort. It will be perfect to be so close to Epcot.

Corinna

Well, apart from the one at Aulani, Napa Rose and the Thanksgiving Buffet, they are all repeat performances and I know that they are great.
Corinna
Good to hear :goodvibes

I am so excited, I could bounce off the walls. I am now 33 days out from this trip, but I have just booked the first thing for our May vacation.

One of the things that has been on my bucket list forever is the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. Not only will I finally get to cross this off my list, but I managed to snag three nights at the Beach Club Villas. This was my first choice of resort. It will be perfect to be so close to Epcot.

Corinna
We were at Flower and Garden one year although all we saw was the topaires they were cool though

That's a nice mix of ressie's! It must be wonderful to score a Thanksgiving meal :-) I have always wanted to try the dish you see on TV the yams with marshmallows on top! I would prefer it with potatoes as I don't like yams but chuck marshmallow on anything and I'd try it!

It's nice to have a character breakfast booked for your birthday! I hope Stitch gives you a good hug :-)

Corinna

Congratulatons!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

What are your May plans besides F & G? I'm sorry if you've already told us.

We were at Flower and Garden one year although all we saw was the topaires they were cool though

I am looking forward to seeing all the topiaries, but the last couple of years they also added food kiosks similar to Food and Wine. I will only have two full days at Walt Disney World and I am planning to spend a day at Epcot and a day at Magic Kingdom

That's a nice mix of ressie's! It must be wonderful to score a Thanksgiving meal :-) I have always wanted to try the dish you see on TV the yams with marshmallows on top! I would prefer it with potatoes as I don't like yams but chuck marshmallow on anything and I'd try it!

It's nice to have a character breakfast booked for your birthday! I hope Stitch gives you a good hug :-)

I was so pleased when I scored that reservation. I figured that it may be a bit of a struggle. I am not keen on yams or even sweet potatoes either, but I love marshmallows and may give it a try. I am definitely looking forward to trying green bean casserole.

As far as Stitch is concerned, he better had.

Congratulatons!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

What are your May plans besides F & G? I'm sorry if you've already told us.

There are two possible variations. The original plan was to do the Eastbound Transatlantic and although I have not completely given up on this, it becomes increasingly unlikely.

The other variation is kind of a Florida road trip. If this happens, we would do a quick taster cruise on the Dream, spend three nights at Vero Beach, one night in Miami, four nights at Clearwater and two nights at Universal Studios.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter