You Only Turn 40 Once - A Pre-trip Report

Yeah love the trash the dress photos! You look amazing! You did your hair and makeup it is wonderful. That dress is beautiful. I must have missed your wedding TR. Looks like I missed put on something special right there.

Luvin the photoshoot pics :)

Thanks.

Dang! I missed seeing that link earlier.

Love the pictures in the Trash the Dress shoot. You look gorgeous!

You have not missed much. I have been rather busy. I hoping to post an installment about Aulani later in the week.

Yeah love the trash the dress photos! You look amazing! You did your hair and makeup it is wonderful. That dress is beautiful. I must have missed your wedding TR. Looks like I missed put on something special right there.

I cannot take credit for the hair and make up. The photographer arranged for a make up artist to come and do those.

The trip report that those photos belong to is linked under Princesses, Pirates and Pumpkins in my signature.

Corinna

This trip has gone on the back burner for a bit between my business trip last week and a potential three week work trip in October. I found out today that I won't be going on that trip. So that has given me the much needed kick up the rear end to something more about this trip. I realised with a bit of panic this evening that we will be on our way in 7 weeks and 4 days. That is not all that long.

I had a nice and productive evening. The original plan was to fly standby between Los Angeles and Honolulu. My nerves are not strong enough for flying standby and after a couple of near misses when I flew standby to Germany in July I looked at alternatives, especially as I need to make sure that I get back to Los Angeles on 23rd November as I have something rather special to look forward to on the 24th. I realised that we had enough miles on Delta for a one-way reward between Honolulu and Los Angeles. Unfortunately I left it too long and the lowest reward level was gone. Still, it was available from Los Angeles to Honolulu on 13th November so I jumped today and booked this. I also got a decent one way rate back on Allegiant. I do not love their policy to charge even for a carry on, but even with this, they were cheaper than the other airlines. We got great times as well. We will arrive in Honolulu lunch time and arrive back in Los Angeles mid afternoon. I may even have time to quickly pop into one of the parks when we get back.

So with this out of the way, I then had a look in my inbox and found an email from DVC with some new member experiences that really excite me. The first one is Art & Nature Walking Tour of Aulani, which takes place on Wednesdays at 16:00. From the description, it sounds similar Art of Craft Tour at the Grand Californian , which Graham thoroughly enjoyed. The only issue is that we have something planned in Honolulu the morning of our only Wednesday there and I kind of figured we would spend the rest of the day exploring Honolulu. Still We pretty much made up our minds to hire a car for the duration of our stay so we can always explore Honolulu on another day.

Another thing that caught my attention is the Disney PhotoPass Scavenger Hunt. The idea is to have your photo taken by Disney PhotoPass photographers in specific locations around the Resort. There are 8 different locations and you can pick up a free map showing all the 8 locations. That is something that is right up my street. I was going to get Photopass anyway and it has kind of become a bit of a sport how many photos I can get. The concept of a scavenger hunt also appeals to my inner child. You even get a prize. If you have your photo taken at 4 locations, you get a free 4x6"print. For 6 locations,you get a free 5x7" print and for all 8 a free 8x10". That should be doable.

The new offering that excites me the most though are the special member hours at the Kula Wai Hydrotherapy Garden. I have been dreaming of this ever since I first read about this back in April. Kula Wai consist of private vitality pools, co-ed mineral baths of purifying volcanic mud and seaweed, a reflexology path designed to massage the feet and lower legs, 6 rainfall showers and whirlpool jet spas. Unfortunately you normally can only enjoy this in conjunction with a spa treatment. The now open this from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm one evening per week exclusively for DVC members. It is still kind of expensive at $45 per person, but I will jump on this if I can.

So things are getting rather exciting. I will try to post the next proper update over the weekend.

Corinna

Im glad you got the flights sorted out. That whole stand by situation was Ming me nervous for you. The programs at Aulani sounds great. I woukd be all over the water experience too!

That hydrotherapy garden sounds sublime! :lovestruc

Glad you got your flights figured out. Standby sounds much too stressful.

Sounds like things are moving in the right direction!:thumbsup2

They definitely are. I am finally starting to get excited about this. This is going to be such an amazing trip, but with everything going on in real life combined with the fact that Disneyland makes you wait until the last minute to book stuff, the excitement just was not building.

Im glad you got the flights sorted out. That whole stand by situation was Ming me nervous for you. The programs at Aulani sounds great. I woukd be all over the water experience too!

Me, too. My head says that it should be OK flying standby as there are so many flights, but my heart was not in it. Add to that that I really cannot afford missing the flight on the 23rd and I am a lot happier now.

YAY for sorting out flights. Looking forward to the update.

The update is pretty much ready. I just need to proof-read it and add the photos. So I should be able to post this later today.

Glad you got your flights sorted. :thumbsup2

Thanks

That hydrotherapy garden sounds sublime! :lovestruc

Glad you got your flights figured out. Standby sounds much too stressful.

I am very excited about the hydrotherapy garden.

Corinna

Hi Corrina, glad your plans seem to be coming together nicely :thumbsup2

Look forward to more updates :coffee:

Pretty much as long as I can remember, Hawaii was always my dream destination. I have always seen this as an exotic tropical paradise. Still, up until a few years ago, I would have rated my chances of ever getting there about as high as traveling to the moon. It is just too far away and probably one of the most expensive places in this world.

In 2007, we became in DVC members and early on in our membership, I found out that Disney had announced that they would build a DVC resort/ hotel in Hawaii. Suddenly it felt that this was doable and I started to dream that one day we would go there. Graham did not quite share my conviction. He was still concerned about the distance involved. While we were at Disneyland in 2011, we were encouraged to have a look at the DVC preview centre, where they had Aulani rooms set up. I made him go over there with me and although he liked the rooms well enough, what focused his mind was the scale model of the resort and specifically the lazy river. Suddenly he decided that this may be fun and we tentatively planned that if we liked what we saw on our Hawaii cruise, we would go to Aulani for my 40th birthday. We also decided that we would break our journey at Disneyland in both directions to make the travelling time more manageable.

Our Hawaii cruise came and went. We really enjoyed this and it was a fabulous taster for Hawaii. However, the balance between the time to get there and back and the time actually spent in Hawaii was seriously skewed. We had seen enough to realize that we definitely wanted to be back, but on a land based holiday and/ or on an inter island cruise. When we started to make more detailed plans for this trip, the plan was to do a cruise for a week and stay at Aulani for a week. We also planned to stop over at Disneyland 3 nights on the way there and 3 or 4 nights going back. This was reconsidered when we were planning our Panama Canal cruise for May. We decided to drop the cruise and rather spend some additional time at Aulani. In the end we have decided on 3 nights at Disneyland, 10 nights at Aulani followed by 8 nights at Disneyland.

To maximize our points, I had decided that I would go for a standard view studio. As much as I love a pretty view, I figured we would spend very little time in the room. When I came to book this at seven months out, there were a couple of nights that were not available in a standard view studio. I did however spot something interesting. The offered standard view hotel rooms on points. When they changed things around for the second phase, DVC lost a few units and were given 8 hotel rooms in exchange. They were actually a couple of points less per night and available for all 10 nights. So that is what I went with. I don't need a microwave and we will still have a fridge. I am not even sure if I will be using this as they offer a refillable resort mug. From what I read, this is more expensive than the ones at Walt Disney World, but as we will spend more time in the resort, it will get more use. It also makes a nice souvenir. Best of all, I have seen in photos that they have orange soda as an option.

Over the last few years, a holiday has not really been a holiday for me unless it included a cruise. Yet I am perfectly content with not having a cruise on this trip. A big part of the reason for this is that from what I have read about Aulani, it is very much run like a cruise ship. They have a drink station (even though you have to buy the resort mug to use it), have scheduled character meet and greets, organized activities for children, families and adults, "shore excursions", an adult only pool and even a version of the Personal Navigator called the Daily Iwa. There will also be plenty of ocean to admire.

This will very much be a resort-based holiday. We will do some excursions, which I will write about in a future installment, but I want to relax and enjoy the resort facilities first of all. Of course, there will be plenty to enjoy. Aulani has three pools, two of which cater to families and one to adults only. One of the family pools has a pool slide, but the other family pool has the strongest draw for me. This pool has an infinity edge and is overlooking the beach. It also features a misty grotto and the website is talking about a star effect after dark. Apart from the pools, they also have 4 hot tubs, two of which are meant to have pretty stunning sunset views. I want to enjoy the sunset from that perspective at least once.

For more watery fun, Aulani also has a lazy river that Graham is rather looking forward to and the Rainbow Reef snorkeling area that I am really excited about. On top of all of this is the beach with a sheltered lagoon. I am pretty sure that swimming and snorkeling in the lagoon and walks along the beach will feature as well. I have seen various reports that people have seen Monk Seals and Turtles while walking along the beach to some of the other resorts in the area.

I am also rather excited about the spa. Although it is very expensive, they have some very unusual treatments and normally booking a treatment is also the only way to access their hydrotherapy garden. They now offer this as a standalone to DVC members one evening per week, but I think I will still probably spend most of another day in the spa. Kula Wai, the hydrotherapy garden, consists of herbal pools, reflexology path, six rain showers, cold and hot whirlpools. The treatment that I am most interested in is Kilikili, which consists of a customized, exfoliating body polish, a Lomilomi massage enhanced with fragrant coconut oil and misting jets of warm water and finish with nourishing Hawaiian body butter. This treatment takes place in their private rainwater suite. This sounds absolutely fascinating and very relaxing.

My inner kid will get a good outing, too. They will have regular character meet and greets and I am sure I will take in some of those. As far as I am aware, Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Stitch and Chip and Dale hang out at Aulani and I have also read some reports that Donald was out and about. My main focus of course will be Stitch. I will try to see him as often as possible.

Something else that is taking my fancy is the Menehune Adventure Trail. I knew from the beginning that Menehune can be found all around the resort, but I thought that this was all quite low-tech like the Hidden Mickeys in the parks. However, I have recently found out that there is actually an interactive game similar to the Agent P World Showcase Adventure. As I really enjoy this, I will definitely play Menehune Adventure Trail.

There is one last thing that I am really looking forward to. They have an evening show twice a week that is a showcase of Hawaiian culture called Starlit Hui. As far as I am aware, it takes place on Mondays and Thursdays. This is perfect timing as we arrive on a Thursday and this will be a perfect welcome to Hawaii.

WOW! This is going to be one Disney filled vacay.

Aulani looks fantastic, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing it through your eyes and camera.

We spent one night at the Marriott next door to Aulani last year. The area is absolutely gorgeous! You will have beautiful sunsets. We spent some time at Aulani to walk around and use my Disney dollars to eat at two of the bars. It will be an amazing vaca!

Amazing amazing amazing!!!! You are going to have such a fabulous vacation! What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday! :)

And this will be more than a teaser for when I finally get there. I'm drooling over every picture I see of the place :love:

WOW! This is going to be one Disney filled vacay.

Aulani looks fantastic, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing it through your eyes and camera.

Yes, it definitely will be, just the way I like it. The more I read about Aulani, the more excited I get about this. There will definitely be plenty of photos when I come back.

Aulani looks fab. I love Stitch :lovestruc

Stitch is the second biggest love of my life.

We spent one night at the Marriott next door to Aulani last year. The area is absolutely gorgeous! You will have beautiful sunsets. We spent some time at Aulani to walk around and use my Disney dollars to eat at two of the bars. It will be an amazing vaca!

We are planning on exploring the other resorts as well. I never thought that Oahu was particularly pretty, but the more research I do the more I come around to the idea that it is very pretty.

Amazing amazing amazing!!!! You are going to have such a fabulous vacation! What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday! :)

And this will be more than a teaser for when I finally get there. I'm drooling over every picture I see of the place :love:

Yes, it is going to be fantastic. I will make sure that you will get a good preview of Aulani.

Corinna

The plans for Aulani sound great! I'm so envious! I really want to go there, but there are so many other places to go as well! :rotfl:

The plans for Aulani sound great! I'm so envious! I really want to go there, but there are so many other places to go as well! :rotfl:

I know that feeling: so many places to go and so little time to visit them. I am very excited about Aulani. I think on the weekend Graham and I need to sit together and make some plans regarding what we want to do and see while we are there.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter