You got 8 dollars

Ronzoni Whole wheat Pasta..$1.00
Kroger Brand spaghetti sauce..$.99
Knorr Spanish Rice Side...$1.00
Kroger black beans...$.59
3 bananas..$.70
Kroger instant oatmeal...$1.49 ( any flavor)
Ramen Souper 6 pack...$1.00
1 package frozen mixed vegetables..$1.00
Cheap candy bar at checkout..$.25

$8 is approx $10.60

ALDI
Eggs (12) $4.00
1 kg frozen peas, carrots, corn $2.79
Loaf white bread $0.99

Coles
1 kg apples $2.50

I’d have an apple for breakfast, skip lunch, then an egg mixed with vegetables on toast for dinner. Blurgh.

Yesterday, I got a watermelon for $1.99, 18 eggs for .79, bread for .99, gallon of milk for .99, a box of store brand frosted flakes for $1.49. Peanut butter is only $1.39 so I'd probably grab a jar of that, too.

Big bag of pasta..whatever is on sale
Can of spaghetti sauce, yes, I said can..its only $ 1 or less

Cheese
Ground beef..if its cheap enough
And, of course, ramen and anything else I can squeeze in.
Good thinking! I'm putting back my bulk-bin rice and getting pasta instead - a 1lb. box can often be had for under $2 and yes, canned spaghetti sauce might be doable too! :thumbsup2
Yesterday, I got a watermelon for $1.99, 18 eggs for .79, bread for .99, gallon of milk for .99, a box of store brand frosted flakes for $1.49. Peanut butter is only $1.39 so I'd probably grab a jar of that, too.
Here: Watermelon $7.99, 12 eggs $2.79, bread at least $3/loaf even for the nastiest cheap white stuff, generic cereal is at least $3, milk is $4.89/gallon for skim and by that point I'm so far past being out of money I couldn't even window shop for peanut butter! :rotfl: It would be a long, painful week and honestly, although I've blessedly never been in the situation, I'm pretty sure I'd cave and find somebody to lend me $50 bucks until payday.

Where and what kind of milk did you get for .99? My kids go through milk to the point that I no longer look at dates. I'd say we easily consume 3 gallons a week and we only have 50% custody!

1 dozen eggs 1.00
2 pounds yellow onions 1.00
Jalapenos .30
Lard 1.00
Canned tomatoes .70

From the bulk bin: 4.00
Long grain rice
Lentils
Pinto beans
Flour
Cumin
Red pepper flakes
Garam Masala
Salt

I could make fried rice, tortillas and beans (no salsa, but . . . ), rice/dal (off flavor, but . . .). I'd have enough to eat, wish I had more veggies, and wish I had more things like garlic, ginger, etc. Now if it were $32 for 4 weeks, I think I could do a lot better--I'd get the giant cans of tomatoes from Costco/Restaurant supply stores, add in more aromatics, buy some yeast to make bread, add ginger/garlic/cilantro, and throw in some cheap seasoning bacon and veggies.

I'd totally lie on prices and have a feast!!! Oh wait. The real world doesn't work that way.
Those prices don't seem realistic? Where I am, you can go to bulk bins and pull out just what you need. It's really cheap--I've had eighteen cent spices on my receipt before (sometimes for half a spice container worth. Same spice on the spice rack would be a few dollars.) ?? My husband and I ate a half cup of lentils together last night in dal, and we had seconds. Not sure mostly vegetarian beans/rice is a feast, but it can be pretty good.

Ha! I just bought several of those items yesterday - the eggs were $2.79, the bananas $1.49/lb., a pack of 10 flour wraps were $3.49 and the watermelon alone was $7.99.

With $8 bucks I'd have to go with a big scoop of rice out of the bulk bin, a bag of whatever kind of frozen vegetables are on sale, several cans of vegetable soup, a box of crackers and a few bananas or apples. If I had any money left over I'd buy as many five-for-a-dollar packs of ramen I could afford.

That's exactly how much things cost around here! Though I'm in Canada and we've noticed a lot (although not all) groceries are cheaper in the US.

Wow, that's outrageous for eggs--is that at a luxury grocery store or a place like Winco or Aldi? Here they're about $1/dozen. We buy 5 dozen for under $5 at Costco routinely and then put them into saved cartons when we get home.

Ha! I just bought several of those items yesterday - the eggs were $2.79, the bananas $1.49/lb., a pack of 10 flour wraps were $3.49 and the watermelon alone was $7.99.

With $8 bucks I'd have to go with a big scoop of rice out of the bulk bin, a bag of whatever kind of frozen vegetables are on sale, several cans of vegetable soup, a box of crackers and a few bananas or apples. If I had any money left over I'd buy as many five-for-a-dollar packs of ramen I could afford.

Yikes!! See you live in Canada. We are not quite that expensive here.

For $8 for the week, I would pick up about 3lbs. chicken quarters - usually on sale abt. .99lb., 1lb. rice .75, pkg. soft tortillas $1.25, onions .50lb., bell pepper .75, frozen veggies $1, bananas .53 lb. Am a light eater so that would make a week's meals for me easily. I don't mind left overs and don't get tired of foods quickly.

Would not want to live like this forever, but for a week, oh yes! Assuming I had my spicy seasonings for all this! :D

Other that some fruit and veggies, sometimes bread, am not usually a shopper at Aldi, but for that one week, probably would shop there!

I'm pretty sure I can't feed my kids and myself anything resembling a healthy diet for $8 per week, but I'd have to go with 4 $1 bags of frozen vegetables, a dozen or 2 of eggs (depending on current price), a loaf of white bread, a bag of white rice, and ramen. I can buy all that at Aldi for about $8 right now.

Wow, that's outrageous for eggs--is that at a luxury grocery store or a place like Winco or Aldi? Here they're about $1/dozen. We buy 5 dozen for under $5 at Costco routinely and then put them into saved cartons when we get home.
Any store really. WalMart, Safeway, Superstore (probably like your Aldi), even Costco. Dairy and egg prices are pretty much fixed by commodity marketing boards. Canadians have been known to cross the boarder just to get at your cheap cheese, but maybe they should be picking up eggs and watermelons too!

5lb bag chicken leg quarters @ $.49 a pound =$2.50. A can of cream of chicken $.50 A $1.00 bag of flour. A dozen eggs $1.00 a pint of milk $.50 two sticks of margarine $.50 of $1.00 bbq sauce and three potatoes $1.00

Boil the leg quarters and pick all the meat off. Throw bones back in and make a bone broth.

Chicken and homemade egg noodles.

Chicken and Gravy (Cream of Chicken) with mashed potatoes

BBQ chicken with potato cakes.

Scrambled eggs with shredded potatoes

Leftovers.

Using the 2017 (latest included) numbers from this:
http://www.visualcapitalist.com/decade-grocery-prices/
graph on the prices of common grocery items over the years, I have:

..............rice $0.72
...........beans $1.36
...........bread $1.34
peanut butter $2.56
.............eggs $1.43
........bananas $0.56
------------------------
.............total $7.97

with 3 cents change. - Of course, it ignores vegetables, so I wouldn't want to live on it long term!

Don’t think I have ever had to do a week on $8 but there were times in the early days of our marriage when it wasn’t much some weeks out of the year.

So kinda going by what I did then:

Red beans
Rice
Cheapest/smallest amount of smoked sausage (back then it was cheap, now not so much)
Eggs
Peanut butter
Bread

I would cook the beans for our nightly meals to have with rice.

Boil the eggs for egg salad or just boiled eggs. For lunches or snacks

Breakfast would be peanut butter toast.

Not sure I could get all that for $8 though.

We laugh now at the weeks in the winter that we would be so broke because dh worked in construction and some winters were just too wet to work! We would buy soup or stew ingredients. And that would be supper all week. Dh’s boss back then would always give us a boneless ham for Christmas. Since we invariably got another one from somewhere we would save the boneless one for “lean weeks” and would slice the ham and have it for breakfast and lunch.

Our milk is almost always on sale at Kroger (Ohio). I don't think we've paid more than $1.29 a gallon in months. They have online coupons all the time, too, that you add to your Kroger card. That's how I got watermelon for $1.99. They were having a 3 day sale and you could use it up to 5 times in one transaction. I actually have 3 huge watermelons in our extra fridge for the holiday.

Last edited:
Eggs, a loaf of bread, small jar of store brand of peanut butter, a block of store brand cheese and a couple of small cans of store brand tuna. I just looked at my store prices on line and added sales tax and would be able to get all that if I bought all store brands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter