You got 8 dollars

Our food prices here compared to you guys is pretty cheap!!! (UK)

I bought 10 items with my £8.

Big bag of penne pasta, 30p. Tomato sauce for the pasta, 40p.
1kg bag of mixed veg, £1.10.
Pot of natural yoghurt, 85p.
Pack of custard cream biscuits, 45p.
6 pack canned baked beans, £1.45.
15, yes 15 (but they're probably caged hens, you won't get free range for this quantity and price) eggs for £1.19.
2 pints milk, 80p. (poor farmers)
Loaf of bread, 55p.
1kg bananas, 82p.

8p left over. Plenty of food for one person for a good few days.

:confused3 It's Canada - basically everything here is more expensive than it is there, not just groceries.

Such an interesting thread, some of these prices have me in hysterics and supreme envy.

Especially a dozen eggs, chicken and milk.

Rarely can I buy eggs for under $3 here. And I wouldn't anyway, as I purposely buy free run. I won't even tell you the price of those here. I now buy from a small farm and pay approximately $5 for 18.

I need to find a list, where I actually need and want the items, and go get them here. I'm sure the total will be double.

And I live in Toronto, if you all went to Vancouver and shopped you would be fainting on arrival in a grocery store.

Go to Dollar Tree, also maybe buy extra Rice,beans,pasta,can soup and stock up for when you have a very tight week.

Our food prices here compared to you guys is pretty cheap!!! (UK)

I bought 10 items with my £8.

Big bag of penne pasta, 30p. Tomato sauce for the pasta, 40p.
1kg bag of mixed veg, £1.10.
Pot of natural yoghurt, 85p.
Pack of custard cream biscuits, 45p.
6 pack canned baked beans, £1.45.
15, yes 15 (but they're probably caged hens, you won't get free range for this quantity and price) eggs for £1.19.
2 pints milk, 80p. (poor farmers)
Loaf of bread, 55p.
1kg bananas, 82p.

8p left over. Plenty of food for one person for a good few days.

Wow, your prices are good!

Everything is on sale this week.
18 ct eggs- $2
2 frozen bags of edamame $2
1 bag frozen chopped onion $1 -I'd prefer a fresh onion and a fresh bell pepper but they aren't on sale so think it would push me over.
6 pk ramen cups- $1
5lb bag of potatoes $2

Illinois - 10% in my county/area, with Chicago having it's own tax rate.

You should have seen the look on my face the first time I brought at dollar in from the car to buy a $.99 coffee at the gas station on my first day of work in Illinois 8 years ago. The cashier said "$1.10" and I was like why are you charging me tax for FOOD??!!! He looked at me like *I* was the crazy one lol

Apparently, in IL, you are taxed or charged for EVERYTHING, and the tax rate goes by county/city, so it's different depending on where you are.

Big shock for me....in Michigan where I was born and raised and lived until I was 35, it's a straight 6%, and (non-prepared) food is tax-exempt.

The one thing I remember was in the early 90s, California implemented a "snack tax". It was mostly on junk food like chips, but it's got interesting trying to figure out what was or wasn't a "snack".

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/07/18/us/california-stalemate-ends-in-a-budget.html
This morning, he put the best face on what he called "a very, very difficult budget" as Californians were grousing over confusing new levies that meant sales taxes on jellyrolls but not muffins, cheese puffs but not Saltine crackers, the latter in an almost metaphysical exercise in trying to tax "snacks" but not "foods."​

$8 wouldn't get our family very far. I'd have to hit the bulk bin for rice, 2 loaves of bread, carton of eggs, and pb.

If I had $10 I might be able to add 2 cans of refried beans.

I just priced out common mentioned items in this thread on line at our neighborhood Walmart

Eggs $1.98 dozen
Bread $1.48 loaf
Peanut Butter $2.18
Ramen $1.94/12 pack
Tax @ .07 $8.11

I don't eat eggs so I would make a protein Ramen Vegetable Mix based on sales at our local "cheaper" grocery store

1 lb Fryer breasts on sale $1.99 pound
Mixed Frozen Vegetables $2.00 2 different kinds 1 to mix with the beans
Ramen Noodles 4 $1
Rice $1
Pkg of Beans $1
with tax $7.49

I would probably hit a few different stores to take advantage of that week's sale items.

$.50 loaf of bread (we have a bakery outlet store nearby)
$2 store brand peanut butter
$2 package of cheese slices
$.99 eggs
$1 box of pasta
$1 jar of cheap sauce
$1 worth of rice from the bulk bin
$.59 pound of bananas
$1 frozen bag of mixed veggies

I'm $.08 over so I'd have to put back a banana or some rice. No tax on food in Ohio unless it's consumed on premises. But it's a moot scenario because I'd be dead by day 2 without coffee and cream on my list.

I love bakery outlets. We have one by our house that sells the $5 kinds of bread for about a buck. We also love our restaurant supply store. I got 80/20 ground beef at ours for $1.90/lb on Sunday. Wouldn't work for this challenge because you have to buy large quantities, but they're a great source for cheap meat. My dad is always giving away onions that he gets there because he can't stop buying 50 pound bags of them . . .

Such an interesting thread, some of these prices have me in hysterics and supreme envy.
Especially a dozen eggs, chicken and milk.
Rarely can I buy eggs for under $3 here. And I wouldn't anyway, as I purposely buy free run. I won't even tell you the price of those here. I now buy from a small farm and pay approximately $5 for 18.
I need to find a list, where I actually need and want the items, and go get them here. I'm sure the total will be double.

And I live in Toronto, if you all went to Vancouver and shopped you would be fainting on arrival in a grocery store.
...which would still seem like a super-cheap bargain compared to being in the far-northern communities. I'd bet in Yellowknife or Whitehorse (not to even mention some of the extremely remote fly-in settlements) a dozen eggs alone is close to $8 bucks. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter