Yet Another Adventurer's Club Rumor

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Just got back from a 6 day WDW F&W trip, had a ball. I think it was on Fri. that wifey and I were in the Rose&Crown for our daily pint and we struck up a conversation with a pleasant fellow who turned out to be a CM. His name is Allen and he works in merchandise marketing, loves his job. At one point he mentioned the new look of DTD and I volunteered that we don't get there much since the closing of the Adventurer's Club. He expressed his regrets at the closing then he brought up the matter that management is looking at working the AC in at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and that it would be a natural thematic fit. I know this has been raised in the past here, but I mention it because Allen volunteered this info without any prompting from me, I just mentioned my regrets at the closing. My wife asked if the original cast members from the AC would be brought back and Allen said that those who wished to return would be welcomed back. If this info is true, it would indicate that planning for this is past the speculative stage.

Take this for what it's worth, Allen seemed to be a straight shooter, possessed a wealth of Disney info that would be known to CMs but few others and this AC info was only a small part of a 15 min or so conversation.

Bill From PA

We can only hope, right?

I'm just back from a stay at the AKL and I'm trying to picture how they would work it. I wonder if they are considering the new Kidani Village or the original Jambo House for the location.

It certainly would liven things up there! :)

That would be great, if it is true. I had heard that they'd just had their last private event and that the whole place was being packed up and shipped to the Disneyland in Japan.

The way Adventure Club fans go on, I really hope this comes back. I never saw it and I can imagine (probably wrongly) how it must've been. It's the sort of thing, unlike roller coasters and many other things, that I wouldn't imagine another park concern other than Disney doing to my satisfaction.

From various descriptions and its Wiki page, I'd prefer it get tucked into a park rather than onto a resort, and a rather remote one at that.

In your opinion, could it not fit in the World Showcase (which could use another crowd-siphon), or DHS (because of its cinema archetypes, and whose western quadrant could also use a new, big diversion)? If the thing was that popular, I don't see why it was never simply moved.

That would be great if this was true - and I think an additional draw over to that area of the grounds would be a good thing. Also, I hear of a lot of people who like staying there on adults only trips, so that would make sense.

Ever since we stopped in there as part of a college spring break and the cast spent an hour making fun of our mascot (The Engineers), the AC will always hold a special place in my heart :goodvibes

Hi PSUGuy,
That is very interesting information and thanks for sharing. I think that would be wonderful if it does happens. I also think AK Lodge would be a great fit for it. Glad to hear you had a good time at F&W. I was there Sunday and can't wait to go back! Thanks again for sharing. :thumbsup2
________
Body science

Thanks for the info! I've been hoping the club would find a home at AK, but if AKL is the only option, so be it!

In your opinion, could it not fit in the World Showcase (which could use another crowd-siphon), or DHS (because of its cinema archetypes, and whose western quadrant could also use a new, big diversion)? If the thing was that popular, I don't see why it was never simply moved.

I agree with your points, but I'm wondering if the closing times of the parks would be a drawback for the AC. I would think it would be more of a late evening kind of thing.

Maybe we are overestimating it's popularity.
Money talks, loudly. If the AC was a big moneymaker, would they have closed it in the first place? Just a thought... :confused3

We can always hope Bill. Thanks for passing along the info:earsboy:

Let me say that as a "regular" to the AC when it was at PI, I really don't see it being too successful at AK if the original script is the same. This was a nightclub type scene and sometimes the content got a little "out of control":rolleyes1 so to say. I think that the AC is geared toward the older type of crowd. It was a comedy show and I really don't see where it would fit in with a theme park atmostphere. It closed down due to PI not being anymore. On that last day if you were at PI, the line was so long to enter the building that it was virtually impossible to get inside:sad2: and no other club that night had the line that AC did (well, maybe the Comedy Club). I wish it would be back. My daughter practically grew up knowing the cast of that club and she even had her bachlorette party there and it was the best time of all.

I too hope that it comes back. Even though I have never stayed at AKL but I would just so I can have a few drinks at AC and not have to worry about anything.

Money talks, loudly. If the AC was a big moneymaker, would they have closed it in the first place? Just a thought... :confused3

I doubt it was ever designed to support itself based on drink sales, there were what, 8 stools at the bar? Very interesting stools, but not many. The club was what in business terms is called a 'loss leader', something that doesn't generate a profit by itself, but brings in the crowds who spend on other, profitable items. This is the case with us. We regularly went in early March for from 8 to 11 days staying at the BoardWalk or Swan/Dolphin and our extended family of 3 adult couples and 3 grandchildren usually tagged along. We missed the AC this March so we've switched to 6 days at Food&Wine, the family can't join us due to school and our kids have talked us into joining us on their Mexico vacation next March. So by killing the AC we're going for fewer days and 6 adults and 3 kids won't be going at all, every year. I suspect ours is not the only case like this.

Bill From PA

I doubt it was ever designed to support itself based on drink sales, there were what, 8 stools at the bar? Very interesting stools, but not many. The club was what in business terms is called a 'loss leader', something that doesn't generate a profit by itself, but brings in the crowds who spend on other, profitable items. This is the case with us. We regularly went in early March for from 8 to 11 days staying at the BoardWalk or Swan/Dolphin and our extended family of 3 adult couples and 3 grandchildren usually tagged along. We missed the AC this March so we've switched to 6 days at Food&Wine, the family can't join us due to school and our kids have talked us into joining us on their Mexico vacation next March. So by killing the AC we're going for fewer days and 6 adults and 3 kids won't be going at all, every year. I suspect ours is not the only case like this.

Bill From PA

Now that you mention the Boardwalk - could that be a good fit for the AC? They have some other "club like" places and has some late-night activities (or at least later than most of the parks)

Now that you mention the Boardwalk - could that be a good fit for the AC? They have some other "club like" places and has some late-night activities (or at least later than most of the parks)

Right after Allen mentioned the AK deal I said they ought to gut the Atlantic Dance and put the AC there. He replied that it wouldn't fit the BW theme. That's a lame reason since I don't think there were any sports bars with televisions over the urinals in 1920's Atlantic City.

Bill From PA

If they ever open up the AC at AKL I know where I'll be staying from now on! I've never stayed at the AKL but I do visit there every trrip for at least one meal. The restaurants are fantastic and if they add the Adventurers Club to it I can't imagine a better place to stay.

Right after Allen mentioned the AK deal I said they ought to gut the Atlantic Dance and put the AC there. He replied that it wouldn't fit the BW theme. That's a lame reason since I don't think there were any sports bars with televisions over the urinals in 1920's Atlantic City.

Bill From PA

well, clearly, you stayed at the wrong hotel in AC during the 1920s ....

... course it was a hand-cranked TV and it was a little awkward trying to use the urinal while some guy was next to you cranking your ..... TV. But still, they had them :thumbsup2

As much as I would love for this to be true, I'm certainly not going to hold my breath. I would love for the Club to reopen anywhere in Orlando, but at this point I don't think it's very likely. As of late last week, at least, none of the (former) cast had heard anything about a possible reopening and they were fairly convinced that the Club is gone for good. :sad1:

knieriem, I have a brief description of the Adventurers Club and the characters and shows on my site at www.savetheclub.blogspot.com if you want to find out more about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter