Yet Another Adventurer's Club Rumor

I'm not big on rumors for obvious reasons but I really hope this one turns out to be true. Owning at Kidani would REALLY turn out to be the best move ;).

Is it silly I get so sentimental anytime the AC is brought up?

I don't think it will work. I think the comedy is too adult orientated to be at a resort. If they cleaned it up too much, it would lose it's comedic edge IMO.

MG

I guess I don't see why the "right fit" at BW is all that important--just feeling the same way about it as others have mentioned with ESPN. My thought would be to move ESPN to where the Virgin Record Store was and then move the AC into the ESPN's space.
I do miss the AC, find vacations without it are lacking. We have changed our vacationing style and dropped days--for the first time in more than 10 years I have no WDW vacation on the horizon and I'm not that worried about getting one planned either. WDW used to be more than an amusment park, I guess I am not feeling it so much anymore.

I think ESPN Club is a better fit at BW than AC...AC at AKL does make sense. I have no idea where it would go, though...Boma and Jiko I think are too popular to remove. But I think it is a great fit, giving the AKL a "destination" status even for non-resort guests.

I'd caution that this rumor may be a corruption of the "AC at AK" rumor of old, where the AC was to be a gateway into Nightly Kingdom/Jungle Trek, which also has vaporized. We've heard so many different things now, and timelines come and gone, that pretty much anything short of an actual press release from Disney has a very low confidence factor - and even a press release would be pretty low until I could actually TOUCH the location.

As for AC's moneymaking potential, there was a report that AC did make a very modest profit towards the end...I don't know if that was pre- or post-closing announcement, or how close towards closing it was, as there was probably a boost from the announcement in attendance. It was not necessarily a profit that would warrant it staying open (obviously).

I think ESPN Club is a better fit at BW than AC...AC at AKL does make sense. I have no idea where it would go, though...Boma and Jiko I think are too popular to remove. But I think it is a great fit, giving the AKL a "destination" status even for non-resort guests.

I'd caution that this rumor may be a corruption of the "AC at AK" rumor of old, where the AC was to be a gateway into Nightly Kingdom/Jungle Trek, which also has vaporized. We've heard so many different things now, and timelines come and gone, that pretty much anything short of an actual press release from Disney has a very low confidence factor - and even a press release would be pretty low until I could actually TOUCH the location.

As for AC's moneymaking potential, there was a report that AC did make a very modest profit towards the end...I don't know if that was pre- or post-closing announcement, or how close towards closing it was, as there was probably a boost from the announcement in attendance. It was not necessarily a profit that would warrant it staying open (obviously).

The problem with AC, as with MANY WDW things is that it is difficult to make them stand out, or allow the average guests to really understand it, since there are SO MANY other things to do on property.

I know for a long time that the increase in things to do between the Disney and Universal has seriously affected the smaller attractions...so I wonder if WDW is getting so big that it's now been "eating" its own

First, a lot of the stuff is gone, so I take this latest rumor with a grain of salt.

That said, it sounds like a rumor last year (the basics of which were confirmed here or another board, possibly by Another Voice?), that WDW was looking to create four "mini PIs," each centered on one of the four main parks. I had heard that a relocated AC was apparently to be part of the AK "mini PI." If and how this tied into Jim Hill's rumors about the AC being a gateway to the new Night Kingdom I am not sure, but I always suspected it was more than coincidental.

Maybe WDW got tired of CityWalk taking all their nighttime revenue and decided to dust these plans off. Or maybe your CM source heard this months ago and still thinks it's coming. Here's hoping it's the former.

First, a lot of the stuff is gone, so I take this latest rumor with a grain of salt.

Oddly, I heard last week that everything that is visible without giong into the side rooms is still there - but I don't know how true that is. I know the person who told me seemed to be a reliable source, though.

The problem with AC, as with MANY WDW things is that it is difficult to make them stand out, or allow the average guests to really understand it, since there are SO MANY other things to do on property.

Actually, I DO think visibility WAS a problem where it was. AC was completely unique, and didn't necessarily fit into the "generic" definition of a bar-laden night spot. It wasn't terribly obvious what it is at first. We even discovered it mostly by accident.

But by having this as a featured part of a resort it would be well themed with, where it can get more visibility and publicity, it would be good for both the AC and the resort....

If AC were to go into AK it would likely have to be as a restaurant with perhaps some AC comedy every so often. In its current format it's a nighttime comedy bar and AK closes way too early to support that.

People I know who have looked inside say the large items have been removed off the walls but that there are numerous smaller items still up there.

BobK/Orlando

I think there is a bit of confusion - the OP is saying that it is going to the Animal Kingdom LODGE, not the park...but as I said it could be a corruption of the Jim Hill rumor as well.

Actually, I DO think visibility WAS a problem where it was. AC was completely unique, and didn't necessarily fit into the "generic" definition of a bar-laden night spot. It wasn't terribly obvious what it is at first. We even discovered it mostly by accident.

But by having this as a featured part of a resort it would be well themed with, where it can get more visibility and publicity, it would be good for both the AC and the resort....

I agree...it needed its own separate show area where it can be recognized for its uniqueness.

I'm curious as to how the Hong Kong version will turn out, or if it will even really resemble the one here.

Money talks, loudly. If the AC was a big moneymaker, would they have closed it in the first place? Just a thought... :confused3

Admission was covered by the Pleasure Island admission so it didn't really have to pay the rent with beverages sales, etc.

I've spent more than a few wasted minutes trying to figure out how to make something like that financial viable without the benefit of a cover charge - although I'd cheerfully pay $15 to get in.

Admission was covered by the Pleasure Island admission so it didn't really have to pay the rent with beverages sales, etc.

I've spent more than a few wasted minutes trying to figure out how to make something like that financial viable without the benefit of a cover charge - although I'd cheerfully pay $15 to get in.

Disney discontinued the PI admission charge several years ago - each club instead charged admission (or you could get a multi-club pass) - essentially a cover charge, which helped attribute revenue directly to the clubs. The single club price was $10.

Disney discontinued the PI admission charge several years ago - each club instead charged admission (or you could get a multi-club pass) - essentially a cover charge, which helped attribute revenue directly to the clubs. The single club price was $10.

I only paid admission at the very end, because once the closure was announced I decided not to renew my premium annual pass. But when I did have to start paying admission, I think the single club admission wasn't an option for the Adventurers Club. I'm pretty sure I remember having to buy the multi-club pass (which cost more than the single club ticket, though I can't remember how much) even though I only intended to go to the AC. I'm not sure if that was always the case, but I believe that was the case for the last few months it was open. I'm not sure how that worked as far as revenue for the AC - I don't know if it got credit for the entire cost of those passes or not. It should have, though!

I only paid admission at the very end, because once the closure was announced I decided not to renew my premium annual pass. But when I did have to start paying admission, I think the single club admission wasn't an option for the Adventurers Club. I'm pretty sure I remember having to buy the multi-club pass (which cost more than the single club ticket, though I can't remember how much) even though I only intended to go to the AC. I'm not sure if that was always the case, but I believe that was the case for the last few months it was open. I'm not sure how that worked as far as revenue for the AC - I don't know if it got credit for the entire cost of those passes or not. It should have, though!

Oops...yes, you are correct...AC and CW required the multi-club pass, which I believe was $22 at the end. I forgot that because the last time we were able to go we had PAPs.

Since you had to buy the ticket at the club (or if you had it already, they scanned it), I'm sure the amounts were credited at some level.

I also didn't mind the cover ($22 last year sounds about right) just for the AC.

Sorry - but I would gladly pay $50 for a night (say 4-5 hours) at the Adventurer's Club, assuming I got some light refreshments with my meal. I think that AC could be turned into a "dinner theatre" type show and be extremely profitable for Disney. While AC was not for everyone, those that loved it - LOVED IT...the biggest problem with any different location would be the likelyhood that it would need to be more "family friendly".

Part of me would love AC to come back in some form, but another part of me feels that if it DID, the form would be different enough that it wouldn't be as good. I suppose as long as it stayed somewhat improvisational and interactive, I guess I would take it.

Like PP said, everytime I think about them closing this unique gem, I get upset!

My expectation is that if the AC returns anywhere, it will be in the exact format as before. The rabid AC fans, me included, had a 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' mentality in which we reveled in knowing every line in every routine, the clever adlibs were a bonus. It would make no sense for Disney to respond to popular demand for the AC only to dish up something different than what is being demanded. I had my hope revived by my talk with Allen.

Bill From PA

My expectation is that if the AC returns anywhere, it will be in the exact format as before. The rabid AC fans, me included, had a 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' mentality in which we reveled in knowing every line in every routine, the clever adlibs were a bonus. It would make no sense for Disney to respond to popular demand for the AC only to dish up something different than what is being demanded. I had my hope revived by my talk with Allen.

Bill From PA

God, Bill, Disney would get about a 10-year pass on any other changes they make on-site from me if this happens. You can feel optimistic, but I cannot. Has Disney EVER righted a wrong in this way? (i.e. removed something of significance, and then brought it back?) Bringing it back exactly as it was would be admitting to a major mistake...that won't happen. The best we could hope for is a return in some form...and it won't be the same. Do you think they would put an "adult's only" club at one of the resorts? Doesn't seem practical to me. (I have been in a very pessimistic mood lately...so maybe I should be more open.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter