Ye Olde Ancient Tryppe Reporte....Daye the last added

hildasmuriel

<font color=magenta>I'm a really really scaredy sc
I've been thinking a lot lately about our very first trip ever to Disneyland Paris and decided to indulge myself by writing a trip report. First of all, I have to do a pre-trip report, which takes the form of a bit of a story. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin..........

Once upon a time there was a family – Mum, Dad and 2 little children. They decided that what was best for their family was if Mum stayed at home with the children and Dad went to work. To have enough money to live on, Dad used to work at his proper job Monday-Friday, then on the 3 nights at the weekend he would go and stack shelves for 4 hours a night at a well known supermarket....well every little helps. Hardworking Dad did this for a number of years.
Time went on and the youngest child went off to school and Mum was offered a job each afternoon at the school, which was nice as Dad could give up his shelf-stacking. What was even nicer was when the well-known supermarket cashed in Dad’s Save-As-You-Earn money, there was quite a bit more than Mum and Dad expected – the shares had done very well.

Dad said “let’s take the children to Disneyland in Paris” and Mum fainted – Dad was well known to hate Disney and everything connected with it and he hated holidaying anywhere other than Cornwall. Dad explained that it was now or never. Children could go for free at this time of year, but son would be 12 next year and so there was no way they could afford it then. Picking herself up again, she quickly agreed and Dad went off to Thomas Cook to book it. The price, because the kids went free, was £960 for flights from Heathrow and 2 nights at the Santa Fe. That left just enough for a bit of spending money –as long as they didn’t go mad.

They told the children they were getting passports “because the price is going up soon and we may need them one day” and then they did nothing. It was October 2003.

Christmas came and went and still Mum and Dad kept quiet. Three weeks into January, the family were sitting having lunch at the weekend when Mum said “We thought we might go away at half term” and both of the children looked delighted and said “to Cornwall?” and Mum pointed out their usual place didn’t open until April. “No, we thought that as we have passports now we may have a couple of days abroad” Excited looks all round – these children had never left the country! “Where?” “We thought maybe Paris for 3 days” “Oh wow.” Said the son. The daughter, even at 6 liked to push her luck: “maybe we could go to Disneyland while we’re there” “”Excellent idea – that’s what we’ll do – 3 days at Disneyland” Well, once the shrieking and jumping up and down had stopped Mum and Dad confessed that this had been booked for months and that the family were indeed staying for 2 nights at the Santa Fe hotel.

The children then lapped up all the details in the brochure, until they could recite lots of it word for word! A kindly neighbour heard of the holiday and knocked to offer a loan of a book called “Brits Guide to Disneyland Paris” and this was read cover to cover over the next 3 weeks. He also gave the children some Euros to spend, as did their adoring aunties – they felt quite rich!

Having read so much detail about DLRP, Mum and Dad knew that things were very expensive there. Dad was really keen to eat at Annette’s, but other than that, they decided to play it by ear.

Dad, from hating Disney, had now become mad keen on the idea and had read all the ride descriptions and height restrictions and knew which ones would suit which family members. He knew Mum didn’t like swoopy rides, but was trying to persuade her that POTC would be okay. He knew daughter would be too short for IJ, SM and RnRC but hoped she wouldn’t be too scared to do PM and BTM. He knew son was keen to try everything.

Eventually half-term came along. The weekend was to be very busy – a family party on Saturday night and then daughter had a 7th birthday party to go to on Sunday. Then flights early on Monday morning. The family party went well. Daughter never got to go to her party. She woke up with a raging temperature and feeling pretty unwell. She lay on the sofa drowsy and pale and Mum fretted. At last, after sponging and Calpol, the temperature came down and she started to be more herself. She was even getting excited about the following day.

The family were just like the ones in the advert – very little sleep was had the night before ....everyone was just too excited. They were going somewhere that they never ever expected to be going....and the time was nearly here..

And that is where the pre-trip report will leave this family..........

Awww that's soooo fab! I want more lol!! Fantastically written :goodvibes BTW - being thick but when exactly was this??

when exactly was this??

Day 1. 16th Feb 2004

We set off to walk to the bus station to catch the 7.19 am bus to Heathrow. Everybody else on board was obviously on their way to work and didn’t look too pleased to have 2 such excited people on the journey – plus their children! We reached the airport far too early for our flight, but we enjoyed looking round. The children had never flown before, I hadn’t flown for 20 years and Husband had only flown within the UK and Ireland on business, so it was new territory for us all, really.
Our 10.15 flight was delayed by only ten minutes so at about 12.30 French time we were in CDG. We had hand luggage only so were soon navigating our way to the VEA stop, where about 50 people were already queuing. After about an hour, there were about 150 more queuing behind us, but no bus had turned up. This was when Dtr was sick on the floor! :sick: Obviously she wasn’t over whatever had been wrong the day before. Still, with a queue of people who were mostly parents, we did get a lot of sympathetic looks...and a lot of space around us now!
After more than 2 hours queuing, the word finally went around the queue that there were to be no shuttle buses that day and we never did find out why. :confused3 So now, we had to figure out a way to get to Disney. We decided on TGV and could have kicked ourselves when we realised that took only 10 minutes to get to the resort.

Of course, we had waited so long that we could book straight into our rooms at the Santa Fe. The hotel was comfortable, but basic, as we had expected. We dumped our stuff and headed to the Park.

At long last, after months of planning, we were heading through the Bienvenue sign and were really here – Disneyland. :banana: I captured lots of this on our new camcorder (bought for the trip). As we looked round Fantasia Gardens, Son can be heard exclaiming at all the names in the stones, and then after a bit more looking around, Dtr turns to Husband and says “Dad, can you show me where the rides are?” She thought we were already in the Park! :rotfl2:

Then, through the turnstiles, under the station and............there it is. Like many, many families before us, we stood and gaped at the Castle. It is so much more..............REAL...... when you’re there. I know that sounds daft, but it doesn’t matter how many photos you look at – the real thing just takes your breath away.:cloud9:
There had been times that day when I doubted we would ever get there, but now we were walking down Main Street and wondering what to do first. Not knowing where things were, Husband and Son consulted the map and tried to work things out.

murrayjomapSmall.jpg

Then some music started – it was the Festival of the Lion King season and the Circle of Life Celebration was about to start in Central Plaza.

centralplazaSmall.jpg

We went to watch from near the entrance to the Castle. Lots of stilted animals made their way along Main Street to the middle and I captured lots on camcorder. This was when I put down the brand new camcorder bag and left it....never to be seen again. Ooops.

We went into the Castle after that and went upstairs to look out in amazement at Fantasyland. The seamless theming of it all was fantastic. We made our way though to Pirates of the Caribbean. I loved the queuing area but got a bit anxious as we neared the ride – and was thinking twice about it, when Husband pointed out that there was no safety bar on the ride so it couldn’t be too much of a drop. I’m so glad he did persuade me, because we all loved it. The CMs were so funny too. When we reached the end, one was calling “out now, you lot, vite, vite, you have had your ride” and generally hurrying us along with his cutlass.pirate:
Husband and Son decided to try out Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril...Backwards! Dtr was much too short, so stayed with me to wait. The boys looked a little green when they got off and said it was good......but not something they were in a hurry to repeat!

We took a gentle stroll through Adventureland and looked at Aladdin’s’ Passage. We were happy just to look at the area and drink in the atmosphere at this stage. We were all feeling tired, we had very little sleep the night before and Dtr was clearly not 100%. I think she was keeping going on excitement only by this stage. We decided to go to the Village for Husband’s long desired meal at Annette’s. We had to queue for a while and Dtr was leaning against me, more or less asleep on her feet. Fortunately the wait wasn’t too long and we were shown to a table upstairs. The food was really lovely and the atmosphere was good too – we even got to see them sing and dance to Greased Lightning. Dtr managed to eat some of her food but was a bit too tired to take it all in.
By the time we had finished the Park had closed and the queue was very very long outside. There was also a queue for the shuttle bus, so we decided to walk to the Santa Fe. We found the walk along the road quite boring and Husband had to give Dtr a shoulder carry but we didn’t fancy queuing. We popped into the Esso garage for some supplies and then gratefully made our way to our room. Dtr was asleep in seconds, while Husband said he would go along to the bar for a pint. He came back within about half an hour and was amazed that the bar was packed with a karaoke session in full swing. We were all so tired, we couldn’t imagine how anybody had the energy to be living it up in the bar. I intended to go to bed and relive the day, but really I was asleep as my head touched the pillow. Day 1 was over.

Fantastic! Now where's the rest?

Oops I posted and it appeared! Thank you!

Knowing how much you love your trips now, I'm really glad you didn't let your experience of all that travelling, and queueing to travel a bit more :eek: , put you off :thumbsup2

Thanks for the date (missed the Oct 2003 bit in your pre trip for some reason!). Fab report so far :goodvibes

We all felt much more refreshed on waking on Tuesday morning. We had asked when we booked in if we could have Good Morning FantasyLand breakfast, but unfortunately they had all gone. We asked for 7.30 breakfast and it was just as well, judging by the queue outside at 8 o’clock.

We got to the Park at about 9.30. and it was open already, with no areas roped off .It was very misty this morning and the Castle couldn’t be seen from the bottom of Main Street. We were all feeling very excited as you can see.

cwaveSmall.jpg

waveSmall.jpg

We decided to catch the omnibus down to the Castle

oldbusSmall.jpg

mistycastleSmall.jpg

and then went to meet the Dragon under the Castle. We were then able to walk straight onto the Snow White ride which we liked. Dtr fancied buying a princess dress...

charlottedressSmall.jpg

So Son checked out the price for her.......

joepricecheckSmall.jpg

And told Husband how much it cost.........

murraypriceshockSmall.jpg

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Into Frontierland, we went onto Phantom Manor for the first time. It was a very spooky sight in the morning mist and Dtr was a bit apprehensive, but Son reassured her that the ghosts weren’t for real. We all enjoyed it very much.

Next we went for a ride on the Riverboat. BTM wasn’t working that day so after our riverboat ride we went to pick up some FPs for other rides.

Having given up the idea of a princess dress, Dtr decide she wanted a Mickey hat. We tried to convince her that she would never get any wear from it, but she was adamant and looked so very proud when she had bought it.

ewhatSmall.jpg

On our way back to Peter Pan for our FP time, we saw Chip and Dale and Jafar and so Dtr got her first autographs. We all enjoyed Peter Pan, then went over to Discoveryland for the others to go on Star Tours, followed by Space Mountain for Husband and Son. They loved this and Son bought himself a Space Mountain cap.

It was time for some lunch now so we went to the Cafe Hyperion. Ooooops, as she finished lunch, Dtr was sick. That was completely out of the blue as she had seemed completely well. But as soon as she was sick she seemed fine again. We decided to try the Studios this afternoon, where Dtr had an encounter with Pluto.

plutoSmall.jpg

We went first to watch the Stunt Show which Husband, Son and I thought was thrilling and loud and explosive. Somehow or other Dtr slept through it all! Next we went on the Studio Tram Tour – Husband was the only one who had read about what happened on this, so he laughed at our expense in Catastrophe Canyon! Husband and Son then went onto RnR Coaster and raved about it like mad – they thought it was great.

We went back to the main Park for another go on Phantom Manor (still BTM was not working) and then POTC. The Blue Lagoon looked so inviting, we thought we may go in there for our main meal, although we knew it may send us a bit over budget. What the heck. Let’s go for it.

It was a bit of a disappointment to find they were booked up and couldn’t fit us in. We hadn’t planned this night’s meal, but guessed now that we should have done. We thought if the Blue Lagoon couldn’t seat us, then all table service restaurants would probably be the same. We decided to eat at the first counter service place we came to – which happened to be Colonel Hathi’s. I don’t know why, but my husband was convinced it was called Colonel Wankipopos, so that is what we have called it ever since.

After tea we went to Central Plaza to see Fantillusion, which just about blew me away.

fantillusionSmall.jpg

Then came the fireworks – sorry – to fit in with the Lion King Carnival they were called FireROARworks.

fireworksSmall.jpg

The Castle took on animal skin designs as the fireworks went off – we loved it. The Park was closing so we went into the Village.

We spent about an hour shopping in the Disney Store, where Son & I both bought t-shirts. Dtr spent the rest of her money on buying Nemo and Dory plushes. On the way back to the hotel Dtr and Son shared a foot long hotdog. Fortunately Dtr had been well since lunchtime. Once again, back at the Santa Fe, we all went to sleep very very quickly. Day 2 was over. We'd had a fantastic day, despite Dtr's unexpected sickness. The Disney magic had worked well and we had more or less forgotten the awful journey and even Scrooge McHusband was staring to forget the lost camcorder bag. The rides, theming, atmosphere and little Disney touches everywhere were all that we had hoped for and more.

Awww, I'm loving this report.

Wish I could remeber my first trip enough to do a report!!

Believe it or not, I did do a TR at the time, but a paper one just for us, to remember it all. I'd never heard of the DIS. :laughing:
The conversations I don't remember, but that's where the camcorder footage comes in handy - like my son cheering my daughter up about PM.

Such a fab report. I can't find out 1st pic trips (from our honeymoon 10 years ago) and I so wish I could! Your daughter looks so young!!

Wednesday - last day

Once again we had an early breakfast and this time we were at the Park gates at 8.30. We were amongst the first ones there so were right against the gates.
Just before 9.00 along came Mickey in his car, waving to the crowds. A CM came along and, out of the blue, asked Dtr if she would like to go through the gates and meet Mickey. She was through like a shot and then they called me to go with her. We had no idea what was going on. Dtr was taken over to Mickey, who hugged and kissed her and then encouraged her to sound the hooter on his car.

mickey2Small.jpg

She ‘hooted’ and that was the signal for the Park to open. Dtr was given a huge poster of all the characters, signed by Mickey as her reward for opening the Park.

mickeySmall.jpg

Unlike the day before, it was a lovely sunny morning and everywhere looked so pretty.

oldmillSmall.jpg

Fantasyland was open and we were allowed in and were able to ride Snow White, Pinocchio and Peter Pan. The children then went on Dumbo and the Tea Cups,

teacupsSmall.jpg

while I decided to hang the expense and phoned Mum back in the UK, to garble excitedly down the phone about how wonderful it all was and how Dtr had opened up the Park with Mickey. I’m not sure she managed to get a word in.
We all went on IASW – twice – ensuring that the song was deeply embedded in our brains for ever. It was only now 10 am and we had done so much more than we expected. Husband literally jumped for joy!

MurrayjumpSmall.jpg

(Excuse the quality of this photo – it was taken from camcorder footage, and I had started filming before taking off the lens cap – it takes a few seconds then for the light to sort itself out. I kept forgetting that, though).
Fortunately BTM was running today, but of course the queues were enormous as it had been shut for 2 days. The other 3 went to queue for it, while I did a bit of shopping. I loved looking at the shops, but the price of things was a bit scary. :scared: I bought myself a fridge magnet and some chocolate for our neighbour and for the rest of the time I just browsed.

The others joined me eventually and were full of praise for BTM. We went for an early lunch in the Cowboy Cookout. The woman in front of me was paying on her hotel charge card – and I noticed it was from the Sequoia Lodge. That seemed an amazing luxury to me and I whiled away my time in the queue imagining what it would be like to have the money to stay there. Nice to have a little fantasy. :cloud9:
After lunch we walked round to Discoveryland and looked at Nautilus and then watched Honey I shrunk the Audience which we all loved. There was no queue for Star Tours so the boys went on this and we all got onto the Disneyland Railroad and went on nearly a full trip round, getting out at Fantasyland. It was a lovely way to see more parts of the Park.

We went into the Fantasy Festival Stage to find a troupe of dancers from the UK was performing there, so we sat to watch that. We decided to have one more ride on the ride that had become out favourite – POTC – before getting a good spot for the Princess Parade. We were there nice and early so had a really good view.

dwarvesSmall.jpg

Sleepy having a sleep on a guest near us

cinderelladancersSmall.jpg

cinderellafloatSmall.jpg

sleepingbeautyfloatSmall.jpg

snowwhitedancersSmall.jpg

aladdindancersSmall.jpg

aladdinSmall.jpg

beautybeastdancersSmall.jpg

beautybeastfloatSmall.jpg

steamboatwillieSmall.jpg

It was superb and much better than we had imagined.

We went back through Liberty Arcade and made our way to Santa Fe to catch the shuttle bus, which fortunately turned up this time! Dtr was a little tearful as the bus pulled away, unable to believe that it was all over, as it had been such a fantastic out-of-our-normal-world experience. I said all the usual mummy things (holidays are only so special because they don’t happen all the time, it wouldn’t be the same if we lived there or went all the time) but I was really fighting hard not to sit and cry myself! :sad: Within minutes of leaving, both children were asleep – so deeply asleep that this photo actually looks posed.

sleepyJCSmall.jpg

Unfortunately our flight home was delayed by an hour and a half, but at last, just after 11pm we got home. The extra waiting time had given husband and me a chance to talk things over, however. I was now working all day at the school, rather than just afternoons, and if we saved a little each month, we worked out that another trip next February was possible. The wonderful dream was not yet over. :cool1:

:goodvibes sigh - I love reading your trip reports Hildasmuriel - you always write them in a way that I can imagine being right there with you all.

Do you have any others you haven't posted yet :cloud9: ??

We...ell I was thinking of doing 2005. :goodvibes

Thank you for your nice comments.:)

What a fantastic trip report:thumbsup2 and what an honor for your daughter to open the park:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Pokey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter