Will people return to cruising?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That will NEVER happen. There are too many people that are extremely loyal to Disney.

I think everyone can agree that an economic depression combined with continued worries about the virus will lead to some reduction in demand. There is zero chance that demand will stay unchanged.

Disney cruises are full of young families. Young people are in a low risk group for this virus. Add to that Disney only 4 ships, with 1000s of people trying to rebook, I don't see any demand problems or price drops.

Disney cruises are full of young families. Young people are in a low risk group for this virus. Add to that Disney only 4 ships, with 1000s of people trying to rebook, I don't see any demand problems or price drops.

You are forgetting that we are looking at a huge impact on the economy. We may not see price drops but expect to see other incentives.

Over 26 million of your fellow countrymen are unemployed, and that doesn’t include shadow labor that’s done off the books.

While things still seem semi-normal, it’s not real because people are making more by staying unemployed. The money printer is on full blast, and eventually repercussions will be felt by it.

The velocity of money is grinding to a halt, and we will go through a deflationary period as a result (think fuel prices), but we will go through hyperinflation right after it.

When DCL hit $9k for a family of 4 in the summer I think they stopped being a young family cruise line. So many people on these boards talk about multigenerational cruising and grandparents footing the bill (not saying all, but a LOT). Young families are also most at risk during economic downturns as they typically have less savings and more demands for school loans/mortgages/less career tenure.

Luxury travel is always the very first thing cut from family budgets in a downturn.

My daughter and I booked a FRR only 90 minutes away and we will not get off the ship in Nassau. That is, IF this cruise is a go. The cruise we booked was a new discount. I wonder why they would keep adding/adjusting FRR if they were not hopeful that at least the Dream/Fantasy would be cruising soon. Anyone have any thoughts on that? If you can't tell I am one of those annoying super optimistic people, lol.

My daughter and I booked a FRR only 90 minutes away and we will not get off the ship in Nassau. That is, IF this cruise is a go. The cruise we booked was a new discount. I wonder why they would keep adding/adjusting FRR if they were not hopeful that at least the Dream/Fantasy would be cruising soon. Anyone have any thoughts on that? If you can't tell I am one of those annoying super optimistic people, lol.

Just a guess, but I think DCL prefers the continuous cash flow. They'd rather take your money then give a future credit than give a refund

When DCL hit $9k for a family of 4 in the summer I think they stopped being a young family cruise line. So many people on these boards talk about multigenerational cruising and grandparents footing the bill (not saying all, but a LOT). Young families are also most at risk during economic downturns as they typically have less savings and more demands for school loans/mortgages/less career tenure.

Luxury travel is always the very first thing cut from family budgets in a downturn.
We were a young family in 2008. This is when we started traveling to WDW and began taking Disney cruises because of all the deals. It's become increasingly more difficult to justify Disney's prices even though we're in a better place financially then we were 12 years ago. I really don't see how young families do Disney these days.

Over 26 million of your fellow countrymen are unemployed, and that doesn’t include shadow labor that’s done off the books.

While things still seem semi-normal, it’s not real because people are making more by staying unemployed. The money printer is on full blast, and eventually repercussions will be felt by it.

The velocity of money is grinding to a halt, and we will go through a deflationary period as a result (think fuel prices), but we will go through hyperinflation right after it.
Yes, and it's only just getting started. It's mostly affected the service industry, but wait until big corporations start laying off. It's really scary if you spend too much time thinking about it. No one I work with seems to understand basic economics. None of the Millenials I work with know what happened in 2008. You would think that would be something they would have learned about in high school or college since they all have college degrees.

Yes, and it's only just getting started. It's mostly affected the service industry, but wait until big corporations start laying off. It's really scary if you spend too much time thinking about it. No one I work with seems to understand basic economics. None of the Millenials I work with know what happened in 2008. You would think that would be something they would have learned about in high school or college since they all have college degrees.

Millennials were born between 1981-1996. Older Millennials lived through that recession and joined the work force during that time period. Younger Millennials entered college and saw their parents laid off after years of working for the same company. I am on the borderline of Gen X/Millennial and got laid off in 2008 and 2009. Everyone in my friend group (who skew younger) definitely remember the Great Recession.

To answer the OP’s question, some people will. There’s always people that have an affinity for being on a ship.

For me, after all this, that’s a big H to the No.
Not going anywhere on an extended stay with no exit avenue.

Millennials were born between 1981-1996. Older Millennials lived through that recession and joined the work force during that time period. Younger Millennials entered college and saw their parents laid off after years of working for the same company. I am on the borderline of Gen X/Millennial and got laid off in 2008 and 2009. Everyone in my friend group (who skew younger) definitely remember the Great Recession.
I work with a lot of 20 somethings that have no idea what caused it or why. I have teenagers now and I try not to talk about economic collapse around them I don’t think they need to stress over stuff like that. I’m sure my co workers parents did the same. I’m just surprised once they got to college it wasn’t taught in their basic economic class.

To answer the OP’s question, some people will. There’s always people that have an affinity for being on a ship.

For me, after all this, that’s a big H to the No.
Not going anywhere on an extended stay with no exit avenue.
One of those people is me. I’d sail today if I could.

We just got off the Wonder March 2. We usually cruise every 3-5 years (with WDW in between). I wouldn’t want to cruise in 2020 and I would want to see 6 months of cruises going smoothly before booking. If prices were dropped enough and cruising out of NOLA (our home port), I could see doing 2021. Might feel better with an outside room though...

I work with a lot of 20 somethings that have no idea what caused it or why. I have teenagers now and I try not to talk about economic collapse around them I don’t think they need to stress over stuff like that. I’m sure my co workers parents did the same. I’m just surprised once they got to college it wasn’t taught in their basic economic class.

1st year Econ classes just give the breadth of how markets work, supply demand in perfect and imperfect markets, and maybe how government intervention causes an effect.

Not even every MBA peer I met fully understood the deep roots of the mortgage recession. Unless you have a good understanding of the nuances of MBS, default swaps, and rates between the various players behind the scenes, you don’t know really what happened. For these people, the key takeaway would just be, “Don’t borrow more than you can afford, regardless of what anyone tells you .”

Edit: Our economy and livelihood has grown even more on debt since the recession.

One of those people is me. I’d sail today if I could.
It's hard to believe that this week I was supposed to be flying into Miami for my cruise on the Magic. I knew it wasn't going but I would still get on a ship if given the opportunity. With my luck...I still wouldn't be able to secure a reservation for Palo brunch....:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter