• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will Disneyland open before Disneyworld?

Just to address your last point, Disneyland largely attracts Californians, not that many people from out of state. If they wanted to test a limited attendance style opening, they would do fine with the local population coming out.

WDWs bulk of visitors comes from out of state tourists, so in this way, those parks are very different and it isn't unreasonable to think DL could open first in a limited capacity and just pull in local visitors for awhile.

Hi @DLgal! I agree with you....

It’s all going to depend on Newsome... he’s made it pretty clear public health is above everything else, and I could see him supporting limited openings. The question is when! And how exactly do you limit it.

Hi @DLgal! I agree with you....

It’s all going to depend on Newsome... he’s made it pretty clear public health is above everything else, and I could see him supporting limited openings. The question is when!

We should also remember that Newsome exempted Disney from the mass gatherings ban. It was only the City of Anaheim that decided to enforce it city wide that made DL close. So, really, it will be up to the local authorities in Orange County and the City of Anaheim, specifically.

But I think Anaheim will support a cautious opening by mid May or June if Disneyland presents a workable plan.

We should also remember that Newsome exempted Disney from the mass gatherings ban. It was only the City of Anaheim that decided to enforce it city wide that made DL close. So, really, it will be up to the local authorities in Orange County and the City of Anaheim, specifically.

But I think Anaheim will support a cautious opening by mid May or June if Disneyland presents a workable plan.

Yes. You are correct. I do remember that now. I personally don’t see mid May, maybe June. Do you get the feel Anaheim is ready to get the economy back open? I cannot even imagine the hits they’ve taken.... San Diego hotels have dropped to 24% hotel occupancy from 80%. My husband told me Anaheim has dropped to 16%.

Yes. You are correct. I do remember that now. I personally don’t see mid May, maybe June. Do you get the feel Anaheim is ready to get the economy back open? I cannot even imagine the hits they’ve taken.... San Diego hotels have dropped to 24% hotel occupancy from 80%. My husband told me Anaheim has dropped to 16%.

LAs Mayor extended the stay home order to May 15. No one in OC has mentioned any hard and fast dates. I absolutely do think Anaheim is very ready to go. The city has the highest case numbers in the county, but it's also the largest, population wise. They haven't had much over 100 cases at this point, which isn't bad at all. I would have expected much higher, to be honest. I think we will have to watch the next couple weeks very carefully to see how the numbers trend, but as of now, OC is in good shape, in my opinion.

I would say DL, just for the simple fact of the Florida governor waiting 3+ weeks to shut anything down due to not wanting to lose spring break money. Its now hitting Florida hard, especially since Disney just furloughed 43K employees. I don't look for DW to have much of anything open until closer to July 4th and it will be a little at a time.

We are in the same boat as my wife is a teacher. We are local to WDW but would consider a late summer trip to DLR if it meant out only chance to get some magic before she has to go back to work until Christmas. Christmas trips are impossible for us with family obligations back home during her time off, so it would mean over a year from now before we can get out to California.

Governor Newsom expected to make an announcement today on the status of the stay at home order. Stay tuned.

After the CA Governor announcement it seems like he will be more restrictive in openings than I expect the FL Governor will be. I guess the rest will be up to Disney.

We are never leaving home here in California. Here are the requirements he wants before lifting the stay at home order. WDW will definitely open first.

Attachments

• 66172B8D-58B1-4A28-9F17-BEFC7BFE16C0.png
    66172B8D-58B1-4A28-9F17-BEFC7BFE16C0.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 74
Newsome’s exact quote:

The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity and until we get to a vaccine. So large scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers... is not in the cards based on our current guidelines and current expectations."

Newsome’s exact quote:

The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity and until we get to a vaccine. So large scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers... is not in the cards based on our current guidelines and current expectations."
Yup. I listed to the news conference and thought of the impact to DL opening before Gov. Newsom clarified that all large gatherings into August he didn't see happening.

He exempted DL in March. DL closed on its own. We will see what happens.

Yup. I listed to the news conference and thought of the impact to DL opening before Gov. Newsom clarified that all large gatherings into August he didn't see happening.

The legality and enforceability of the stay at home order is fuzzy.... I think the City of Anaheim could actually decide to open up businesses if they chose. Disneyland closed because of either the OC order or the city of Anaheim order.

The legality and enforceability of the stay at home order is fuzzy.... I think the City of Anaheim could actually decide to open up businesses if they chose. Disneyland closed because of either the OC order or the city of Anaheim order.

Yup, the governor issues a "directive" but it's not legally enforceable at the city or county level.

Also, he mentioned "events that bring in" lots of people. A theme park is not an event. By that, he likely meant sporting events, concerts, festivals. Places where lots of people gather in ONE space. Disneyland can very well open and prevent large crowds from ever gathering in one place if they want to.

We are never leaving home here in California. Here are the requirements he wants before lifting the stay at home order. WDW will definitely open first.

No, these don't need to be fully in place. He just wants the state to have the CAPABILITY to do all those things, meaning a plan needs to be outlined and disseminated to local leaders. Plus, he said he would give weekly updates as to the status of the stay at home order. It cannot last forever.

It would be easier to open DL but part of me thinks they'll open together/on the same day.

I would assume it would take about a 2 week notice for WDW to get anywhere near ready to reopen. They would need to make food orders for millions of pounds of food, give notice to cast mates for all the resorts and restaurants, check on the vehicles/buses, check on rides etc. Its just a much bigger project for WDW.

No, these don't need to be fully in place. He just wants the state to have the CAPABILITY to do all those things, meaning a plan needs to be outlined and disseminated to local leaders. Plus, he said he would give weekly updates as to the status of the stay at home order. It cannot last forever.

Thank you for pulling me off the ledge. 🤦‍♀️ Although did he actually say capability? I haven’t read that anywhere. So it seemed like they had to be in place..... I couldn’t watch him live. The kids.

Thank you for pulling me off the ledge. 🤦‍♀️ Although did he actually say capability? I haven’t read that anywhere. So it seemed like they had to be in place..... I couldn’t watch him live. The kids.

Man, that would suck. Hopefully, here in Texas, I will get to make my own decision, because the Lt Governor (Lt Dan) already said he didn't care if old people like himself died for the young :sad2: Bunch of real geniuses we have here. I think they will open up early in Texas. Although, I don't think we ever had a statewide "order". It will be up to the localities and each individual to decide for themselves. If it don't feel right, I'm not going out. Luckily, I can work from home. If all of that really had to be in place in CA to open up, it could be 2022 before that happens, especially the vaccine part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter