Why is Le Cellier so disliked on here?

I love Le Cellier!!! I always get the amazing cheese soup and the mushroom filet. My only dislike is that I also agree it is really not worth 2 credits to me. We still go, but not as often due to that fact.

I don't know why Le Cellier is disliked - Canadian cheddar cheese soup, mushroom risotto fillet, fake poutine, and maple creme brulee is literally my idea of a perfect meal.

Something I've learned on here (I'm guilty too) over the past couple years lurking, is that DISers do not like change for the most part. When there is change, there is a lot of griping and doom/gloom postings.

I'm wondering why Le Cellier is so hated on here but loved on review sites like Trip Advisor? Is it because it changed from a 1 TS credit to 2 TS credits? Or is it because some of the menu has changed? Or is it just plain bad and not worth 2 TS credits?

What is your reason for disliking Le Cellier so much. I'm so torn on it because I read good things on review sites but DISBoards keeps turning me off to it.

I haven't really been able to pin point exactly why this place is so unpopular, but it seems to be a common general theme on here.

I absolutely love Le Cellier and it continues to be a "must do" each and every trip. I have been going now over the last 15 years. I love the filet and I always get that. We never use the dining plan, so that part never affected me. It is expensive, but well worth it IMHO. I do admit that we will share the filet between 2 adults as it is plenty of food for me. If I'm especially spoiled, I am given more of the mushroom risotto by my DBF, which I love equally as much as the filet! I also look forward to the pretzel bread - delish! I have not been disappointed and already have my ressies for July!:love:

We judged it based on the meals we have had there, and they were mediocre. Our waiter was amazing, but our steaks were over cooked. I feel if a restaurant is known as a steak place it should be able to correctly cook a steak. It wasn't our favorite and with so many other choices we choose to go elsewhere. No more no less.

I think it has less to do with "Most disliked" and more to do with the quality you get for cost. At Via Napoli, Biergarten, San Angel and others, it is one credit per meal. If I am giving 2 credits, I expect a little more. I was talking with one of the secretaries at work and told her that we had an ADR for Le Cellier. She basically told me to get the shoe horn for seating and don't expect much of your meal. Then I read this thread. Same thing is evident here. I know it is about perception, but if I am spending 2 credits per person, I expect a whole heck of a lot more, even with free dining.

I think Le Cellier is great if you get the filet. My first trip to LC was with my parents. They ordered the filet and I ordered the NY Strip. My parents both said their filets were the best steaks they've ever had - and trust me when I say we've eaten at tons of steak restaurants over the US and my dad is a very hard man to please. Typically he proclaims that he can make the steak better than the restaurant. But at LC he said it was "the best." I, however, was very disappointed. The NY Strip was just OK. The second time I went to LC I ordered the filet - it was amazing! It was cooked and seasoned perfectly!

I like the cheese soup and the rest of our meal but I wouldn't go out of my way for anything but the filet! And I don't mind the cramped seating area at all. Plus, we've always had great service. When I was there with my parents it started raining and one of the staff was outside moving all the EVCs (including my dads) out of the pouring rain so we wouldn't return to wet items in the basket/wet seats. That really was sweet.

I can't speak to pre-DDP days but can imagine that food, overall, was a better quality and it was probably easier to get TS reservations. Also, I've noticed that a lot of the menus across the parks and resorts have similar, if not the same, food options. I would imagine it has to do with buying in bulk and decreasing food costs as a result of DDP.

Last edited:
I think Le Cellier is great if you get the filet. My first trip to LC was with my parents. They ordered the filet and I ordered the NY Strip. My parents both said their filets were the best steaks they've ever had - and trust me when I say we've eaten at tons of steak restaurants over the US and my dad is a very hard man to please. Typically he proclaims that he can make the steak better than the restaurant. But at LC he said it was "the best." I, however, was very disappointed. The NY Strip was just OK. The second time I went to LC I ordered the filet - it was amazing! It was cooked and seasoned perfectly!

I like the cheese soup and the rest of our meal but I wouldn't go out of my way for anything but the filet! And I don't mind the cramped seating area at all. Plus, we've always had great service. When I was there with my parents it started raining and one of the staff was outside moving all the EVCs (including my dads) out of the pouring rain so we wouldn't return to wet items in the basket/wet seats. That really was sweet.

I can't speak to pre-DDP days but can imagine that food, overall, was a better quality and it was probably easier to get TS reservations. Also, I've noticed that a lot of the menus across the parks and resorts have similar, if not the same, food options. I would imagine it has to do with buying in bulk and decreasing food costs as a result of DDP.
This was my experiennce too. I had the NY strip and it was VERY disappointing.

My hubby and I ate dinner at Le Cellier 2 years ago for our 20th wedding anniversary and I must say, it wasn't as fabulous as when we ate there back in 2009. They tucked us into a nice little corner and we didn't feel rushed in any way, but my husband makes a MEAN steak and theirs really didn't compare to his so we were less than impressed.

I sure wouldn't change the experience though. The Cast Members there were very sweet and made our anniversary dinner pretty awesome, but we go to Narcoossee's for those special occasions now!

Something I've learned on here (I'm guilty too) over the past couple years lurking, is that DISers do not like change for the most part. When there is change, there is a lot of griping and doom/gloom postings.

I'm wondering why Le Cellier is so hated on here but loved on review sites like Trip Advisor? Is it because it changed from a 1 TS credit to 2 TS credits? Or is it because some of the menu has changed? Or is it just plain bad and not worth 2 TS credits?

What is your reason for disliking Le Cellier so much. I'm so torn on it because I read good things on review sites but DISBoards keeps turning me off to it.

I haven't really been able to pin point exactly why this place is so unpopular, but it seems to be a common general theme on here.

I think the main reasons are it's very crowded, and even by Disney's inflated prices, it is too many $$$'s.

Not special to us (or any of the steak houses at Disney) as I'd rather the marinated steaks that dh grills at home - I get other things when I'm dining out after getting too many mediocre ones.

Last edited:
For the prices they charge, I would rather go to the Outback for a steak that's half the price and probably just as good.

I am not Le Cellier's biggest fan, but this constant comparison to Outback is absurd. Outback on its best day doesn't serve a beef to compare with Le Cellier's and certainly not with the AAA Canadian Filet. They also are not using Angus beef or dry aging in house for 14 days at Outback. They get pre-cut USDA Choice beef sent to the restaurant. They aren't even doing in house butchering.

The tables were crammed together, kids were freaking out at the table next to us, the server brought out everyone else's food except for mine because they forgot to pull it, and when they brought my steak out it was charred. The server then offered to bring me a new one, I declined because I wanted out, and then they still charged us for the steak which was inedible.

If you didn't eat the steak I wouldn't have left the place until it was removed from the bill.

Le Cellier is fine, but it's nothing special. I can get that kind of food at home any day of the week, and pay a heck of a lot less for it. And being a steak snob, I'm sorry...it does not live up to my exacting steak standards.

LeCellier has decent food, but their atmosphere is horrific. You're eating in a low ceiling cellar room that was originally opened as a buffet. Because of the popularity when it was a 1 credit restaurant, the tables are jammed tightly together. The wait staff and kitchen are told to push the people through, because companies like TripAdvisor say it's a great place to eat and that continues to draw crowds.

At this point, LeCellier is living on its reputation. If you look at reviews, and had a way to limit them to the last few years, you'd see the restaurant isn't scoring much higher than Tony's Town Square, which is considered the nadir of Disney Dining.

We've had good and poor experience there .... granted, when it was poor, we justified it as "we're on the dining plan we are always trying to use all our credits" .... but recently when we've been just care free and playful (and we've had exceptional folks waiting on us), we've enjoyed it and the food and the atmosphere.

Just my opinion.

I know this will probably sound daft, but I really want to go there however I wouldn't get the steak I love the sound of the soup and the poutine. Do you think my boyfriend and I would get judged too much if we got a starter, a side and a desert for lunch?

I had an incredible filet, loved the poutine fries, and thought the cheddar soup was good (not great). I think that if the menu interests you than you should give it a shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter