Why is Le Cellier so disliked on here?

I've only been to Le Cellier once, in 2014, and it was after a half marathon, so take my words with a grain of salt as we all were starving and practically falling asleep in the lobby waiting for our table. I believe the only other signature restaurant I've been to is Brown Derby. That time I was under the DDP, at LC I was not. Comparing the two, I found the service and the food much better at Le Cellier. Dinner was paced well and everything was cooked as ordered. The steak itself was not the best I've ever had, but I'll say it was one of the better ones. The price is pretty nuts though. If it existed in my hometown, I probably would not go there just because to me the quality of the food/service was not worth $60 for a steak outside of a special occasion. Contrasting that to my experience at the Brown Derby, which I felt like the waiters were very rude and the whole service was paced very badly, or our waiter would disappear for 20 minutes at a time- it probably was a one off, but it really turned me off to the BD for the future.

It is not disliked greatly, not there is a small group who does seem to like to be very vocal againist it.

AKK

I think the first few replies summed it up. It's a bit of backlash against the change they made. Le Cellier was once one of the most sought after ADRs and easily one of the favorite 1 TS credit restaurants. So, they went and changed it to a 2-credit restaurant but didn't change the food or quality of service. It went from being the best 1-credit restaurant to one of the lowest 2-credit restaurants.

My husband and I had dinner at Le Cellier for the first time last year, and I hate to say that it just didn't live up to the hype. My biggest problem was the space issue... those are some seriously close quarters. So close that you feel kind of obligated to carry on a conversation with the people next to you because you're practically sharing a table. Which is not always a problem (Biergarten, anyone? :teeth:) but sometimes you just want to have a semi-romantic birthday meal. Also, so close that when the overly tired five year old seated next to you (at the latest possible dinner) knocks over his glass of water... it ends up in YOUR lap. :sad2: Add to that the fact that the food was sort of hit or miss (I had some of THE best asparagus of my life there. Seriously, when I got home, I was dreaming of vegetables instead of Dole Whip. But my filet was just so-so; and they had replaced the truffle risotto with english pea risotto, which is pretty unforgivable, let's be honest here.) and it just made the whole experience not worth it, IMHO. We definitely felt like we had not gotten our money's worth as far as DDP credits went, and now that we know that DDP isn't really a good value for us anyway, we're still not inclined to pay the prices asked for a meal that's just sort of "meh."

Last edited:
but being in the park it brings a loud atmosphere with tight seating, mostly park attire and loud/cranky kids at times. When you're opposed to the atmosphere and layout,

I've seen people claim to have better steak and service at Outback, which is just absurd or they had a really off night.
Totally agree, therefore I make the latest possible ADR, crowds and noise greatly reduced and the servers are more attentive. I've always enjoyed the food at LC and continue to do so, just as I enjoy Yachtsman which can be just as noisy if not as tightly crowded. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and rather than base a decision on going or not on the experiences of others, just try it, it's one meal, not a lifetime commitment. As far as the Outback reference, I wish it were, I would be there often! Poutine, beer cheese soup, NY strip, awesome! I think it's the BOGO mentality, because it was such a great deal in the past, people now categorically refuse to buy into it no matter how much they enjoyed it! Ie. I refuse to buy Belvita blueberry biscuits unless they're BOGO, no matter how much I love them!

Last edited:
I have to admit, I do find it amusing that Le Cellier use to be THE RESERVATION to get. It went from "omg its the best place ever!!!! steaks are to die for!" to "meh. not worth it. never going again". I know some people are probably wondering that all of a sudden after it became a signature meal the quality of steak has declined? or are people just sore because its no longer a 1TS credit? :scratchin

How fun would it be, do a blind taste test! I wonder can we really decern quality when price isn't a factor!​

We always pay Out of pocket and for ~$120 minimum with tip for two I don't think I'm expecting much when I say I'd like a filet that is medium, not charred and tough as leather on top of a tablespoon of mushroom risotto with the consistency of oatmeal. This was not late in the evening either, but at 6PM. Our neighbors (they really were an extension of our table as they were that close to us) had their silverware taken away with their appeatizers, they were served their meal with no forks to eat it. Servers were nowhere to be seen until it was time for the check to be presented. This was our "we'll give it ONE MORE TRY" too, we had been previously disappointed after having two delightful "pre DDP" meals there. (And no, we're not ancient either). I can say that I remember fondly when they were proud to serve PRIME Canada beef. Now now mention of where the beef comes from, maybe it's WalMart :lmao:

The problem with the opinions on the Restaurant forum is that many people do not have access to restaurants at home that are better than those at WDW. So Disney is as good as it gets for a lot of people.

Some folks, like us, are spoiled by the fact we live near large cities with huge options for dining. Even having access to good cuts of meat may dependent on where you live. I can get a steak equal to any at WDW at several different markets within 20 minutes of home. We're lucky.

We have eaten once at Le Cellier - we were super excited because of all the hype and it was horrible. To be fair, we never do the dining plan, always do TiW, and have no issue paying for good meals (i.e. Chef's Table at V&A's). The tables were crammed together, kids were freaking out at the table next to us, the server brought out everyone else's food except for mine because they forgot to pull it, and when they brought my steak out it was charred. The server then offered to bring me a new one, I declined because I wanted out, and then they still charged us for the steak which was inedible.

It was horrible and I will never, ever go back.

I've always enjoyed Le Cellier and never had a problem with service or food. But I agree that the change to signature has dampened its appeal for others, which is fine for me bc it is now easier to get a ressie :cool2:. I also don't like the fact that the restaurant's unique Canadian wines, such as Mission Hill, is now being pushed out for the Disney Family of Wines. I think that's just as ridiculous as Frozen taking over Norway.

I don't really care that it is now 2 credits vs 1. The food just isn't as good as it was 10 years ago. This applies to many restaurants, but especially this one (IMHO).
But much, much better than fifteen-twenty years ago. Doesn't anyone else remember it as a cafeteria?

I booked LC for our first trip in 2008 because of all the raving reviews on DIS. It was fantastic! We were tucked in a quiet corner, steaks were perfect, and risotto was amazing. Our server was wonderful, and even packed up huge portions of fruit salad "to-go" because my kids didn't order dessert (they shared ours).

We couldn't wait to go back on our second trip, but we were packed in 6 inches from another table, server was not great, my food was incredibly salty (DH stilled liked his, though). It was not a *terrible* experience, by any means, but I didn't spend the next year dreaming about it either. So we decided to skip it the next time, so we could try a new restaurant. When we wanted to go back on our 4th trip, I learned it was now 2 credits, and we decided it wasn't worth it for us. It wasn't any one thing that pushed us away, and we're not saying "Never again!" But we can only eat so many meals in a week, so we stick to a few favorites and try a couple new ones each time. No hard feelings, LC. Maybe we'll see you again some time. ;-)

Fwiw, we had their filet mignon sample at the Food and Wine Festival last year and loved it. Made me want to try out the full place. Thanks for the replies Everyone.

I like Le Cellier. We have stopped eating there though. In the past few years it has gotten more expensive, and it sounds stupid, but I liked the filet and mashed potatoes for dinner, and when they redid the menu a couple years ago, they discontinued the mashed potatoes.. so I stopped going, call me crazy. :rolleyes1

Something I've learned on here (I'm guilty too) over the past couple years lurking, is that DISers do not like change for the most part. When there is change, there is a lot of griping and doom/gloom postings.

I'm wondering why Le Cellier is so hated on here but loved on review sites like Trip Advisor? Is it because it changed from a 1 TS credit to 2 TS credits? Or is it because some of the menu has changed? Or is it just plain bad and not worth 2 TS credits?

What is your reason for disliking Le Cellier so much. I'm so torn on it because I read good things on review sites but DISBoards keeps turning me off to it.

I haven't really been able to pin point exactly why this place is so unpopular, but it seems to be a common general theme on here.
My reason for disliking LC is indeed the change from 1TS to 2TS. Not that I ever did the dining plan anyway but all they did was raise the price to be the same as the really good "signature" restaurants without improving the quality to match. Instead you get a Outback-like steak dinner at twice the price. You're also crammed into a very dark restaurant where you are nearly on top of the party at the next table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter